The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

If ESO were to shut down for good, what would happen to your RP story and your character?

brylars
brylars
✭✭✭

If ESO were to shut down for good, what would happen to your RP story and your character? 64 votes

Would you use a browser-based, DnD style program to continue the story?
6%
gameswithaspoonLettuceBrainDTLightStormBlade512 4 votes
Would you just use a social messaging program like Discord to continue the story?
9%
zombniacAorcainGreenRusBearaurelius_fxsmallstreambrylars 6 votes
Would you use another MMO RPG and thrust your character into a totally new setting, making them have to cope with a strange new world?
17%
starlizard70ub17_ESOElvenheartKristUmbro100Ye_Olde_CroweStarbridge84SkaraMinocThee_Cheshire_CatTheMarbleNestboi_anachronism_aru 11 votes
Would you give up on the Elder Scrolls character and setting and move on to another game?
65%
laurajfchessalavakia_ESOAektannAjaxandrielSjestenkaAmphithoeSedoUmbraVenscalmerpinsIlsabetRaddlemanNumber7meekmikoAztriasShardan4968LukosCreydenErai_sedaiRedBranchWildRaptorXderpy_mushroomSeaGtGruff 42 votes
Would you keep your character and have live DnD style sessions on Zoom or Skype?
1%
NarutoUzumaki24 1 vote
  • RedBranch
    RedBranch
    ✭✭✭
    Would you give up on the Elder Scrolls character and setting and move on to another game?
    I don’t think I’d want to recreate my character on another game. With its ups and downs, ESO and my main character have been a special part of my life since January 2015. It’s very personal to me. I’d prefer to keep the good memories and move on to something else. However this game ends I’ll be grateful for the many hours of entertainment and immersion.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll recreate him in Skyrim or the other Elder Scrolls game. Just make up some excuse of reincarnation, dragon break, or something else.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My RP characters are too deeply embedded in this game's storyline and in the lore.
    PC EU
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    None of the above. I think I’d keep writing about them but I’m not too good at making story arcs myself so it’d probably end most of their stories. Some live to other games though so no biggie there.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would retire my character. If the game ended abruptly, I would think up a final story arc to finish off their story.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the "Other", you heretic?

After ESO it's my headcanon that all the previous Elder Scrolls heroes were my Vestige. It's easy when you're always a Dunmer with roughly same alignment. So when ESO is down, I'll just wait for the next Elder Scrolls game and when Elder Scrolls series is over it will be a very fond memory. Or Skyrim 2077 Post-Apoc Edition for Pip-Boy.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would you use another MMO RPG and thrust your character into a totally new setting, making them have to cope with a strange new world?
    It isn't that I would try to recreate my ESO characters on a different MMORPG, it's that I just would. I'd play the same types of character, a commando type using stealth and/or range attacks when able, a medic/healer type and a crafter type.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • StormBlade512
    StormBlade512
    ✭✭✭
    Might consider a DnD style continuation, but my plan is to rip my character's models out and maybe 3d print them. Maybe get a commission to pose them in a cool way
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recreating them in another game is an option. This is something I already do with my TES characters, especially in strategy games with any detailed character customization. For example, my Khajiiti lunar cleric from ESO can easily become a powerful priestess who leads armies against the undead in another setting, especially if that setting has bipedal cat people.

I am also a fanfic writer, and when I feel inspired enough I sit down and write my little heart out. This is where many of my TES characters end up, even as I continue to replay Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO.

To me, ESO itself is like a sandbox. It’s a nice expressive medium with an absolute ton of activity to offer. The same is true of what it contributes to RP and writing: it has a solid foundation and a large framework of story and lore. I would be sad if it were lost for good, but I would keep writing.
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    Would you just use a social messaging program like Discord to continue the story?
    I would actually be divided. Maybe to get my Elder Scrolls fix I would just go back to the PC games and use mods, but with the friends on ESO I would still want to RP with them. Since my group uses Discord a lot we would probably continue the stories together on our server.

I like making stories that are out of the "norm" and put my character in tough situations, so the idea of him being carried away into another world is appealing but more from a narrative perspective.

There is always the idea that the end comes when the God-Head wakes up.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character started playing in 2007 in Oblivion. Once she learned how to travel time and between worlds, she has also adventured in Skyrim, ESO and even Baldur's Gate II. She is an adaptable adventuress and does not require ESO or even the Elder Scrolls world to adventure and endure.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not allowed to finish, I forbid it.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of my characters were not brought to life by ESO. I have main characters that are as much a part of me as, well, any of me I suppose. I simply tweak them to fit different games, if they can fit. Krist was created in the late 90s on a game called Ultima Online, as was my mage Hughe, and has developed since in story, thought, and outside sources (such as ESO). I have no need to develop another "knight" style character, when Krist is always there, itching my brain for another story. :)
    Edit: To re-read seems so self congratulatory, but my point wasn't that ESO hasn't helped tons, its that my toons would live on. I love the Krist (Fighter's Guild) in eso, as much or more than Krist (The King) in the UO private shard I played. The stories that ESO has helped me write has brought nothing but joy to me, and that is thanks to ESO.
    Edited by Krist on 5 December 2022 16:37
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve considered modding them (or, for most of them, notes and references to their existence since the majority won’t live long enough) into the next single player game. That’s going to depend on Elder Scrolls 6 coming out in my lifetime, and me having the time and wanting to spend the effort to do so when the day comes, but I’ve considered it.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my gosh, I don't even want to think about it...!
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played Defiance 2050 MMO and went back to it only to find it was no longer a thing. It's always a possibility.

I create new toons all the time and the old ones are there but I wouldn't miss them if they retire.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing my main in all TES games since TES3 Morrowind and I'll also be playing him again in TES6 (and any upcoming sequels), so he would not be "lost". Of course it would/will still be a pity to see ESO end some day.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - With who? :') Who would care anyway? when I launch an online tabletop rpg I'm going for a dedicated universe of mine.

- I ever hardlier see who would care, sadly. Discord is way too ephemeral

Would you use another MMO RPG and thrust your character into a totally new setting, making them have to cope with a
    - Some characters may have some equivalent in other games/universes, so that's a way to keep them living as a "persona" but they must be adapted to said universe.
    - Putting TES characters straight from Nirn to another world is dumb and disrespectful imo.

- By default - yes.

Would you keep your character and have live DnD style sessions on Zoom or Skype?
    - That's the same option as first option so same reply...
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on 1 January 2023 14:09
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet's story is her journey through the events of ESO, so when the game ends, it would be hard to see her jumping to what would essentially be another reality. As for the future of the headcanon, I'd have to see what the game gave us for a finale, and then decide whether to let Ilsabet fade into canon-friendly retirement or go scorched-earth and write my own damn happy ending with Darien and sweetrolls.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. I would likely continue to use them in written stories.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    i actually came from WoW last year.

Moved two of my characters into Tamriel. There were a lot of similarities in worlds, creatures, and oddly enough the main storyline wove quite well into what i was hoping to achieve.

Anyone curious about that story can read it https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/thread/65/last-dance-story-cats-eso <-- there.

Used some classic amnesia, some other twists and turns from the original game to blend pretty smoothly into this one, leaving for some amazing role-play so far.

If something happens to ESO, or i decide i need to move on, would likely do the same thing. Both my characters have been in play for almost 19 years now. Pretty attached to them.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't actually roleplay given the lack of open world RP to stumble across. However if I did I'd probably move my main girl to TES3MP. Surely there's a somewhat-active RP server there... Actually considering it already.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Prophet_of_Malacath
    One thing I learned early is that folks are often attracted to certain tropes - and the ones we do on repeat are the ones we need to express elsewhere too. So to an extent, I think we all remake the archetypes that call to us.

If ESO closed, I'd find another game & play new characters - and any ghost of my old toons would just be in the mannerisms & jargon I've come to adopt in play. I don't need to invade other worlds with irrelevant references, but I've oft played a certain tropes in Everquest or Conan or Elder Scrolls that is simply my online persona.

There's also the factor that TES1 & TES2 were based off a D&D campaign - as were many other franchises at their roots - so maybe TES becomes "our D&D foundation" and some folks cobble together a whole new diversion? I don't need Malacath to tell stories about pariahs, yanno?
    The Pariah's Forge is an Orsimer-focused Discord RP Hub: https://discord.gg/KfuWGFDXJC
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd do a couple things. I would keep playing my characters in Oblivion and Skyrim and start a couple of them in Morrowind as well since I haven't played that game yet even. Time differences aren't a problem for me since I just pretend every game is the same time period. None of my characters headcanonically participate in any of the stories, including factions, in any game so it's easy to pretend, even for ESO.

I'd also start working on their stories in writing as well. I did that a lot as a kid before I had my own computer to myself. Also I'd start them in TES6 as soon as that's out.

I'd still be really sad about ESO being gone even though I'd have a lot to keep busy with. It's the best of the games for character visual customization and that matters to me in a video game.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My ESO characters would have to have a head cannon conclusion and riding off into the sunset. There are archetypes I like to play, but my characters tend to become their own people in whatever world they are created in, and there's nothing to really cross over. Even my namesake, Kesstryl (red haired nature loving human or elf or both who wields a bow) becomes someone different in each game world. The archetype is there, but she evolves and is not the same person as the Bosmer Kesstryl in ESO, or human Kesstryl in GW2, or wood elf Kesstryl in EQ2, or human Kesstra in SWG (red haired light saber wielding in that case). They were all unique people self contained in their own respective universes. Most of my characters don't crossover with name and archetype except for maybe 3, and all of them are unique.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As I strongly believe the main character of eso is some form of shezzarine (similar to pelinal) it's time for him to fade in history when 2E 582 finally is coming to an end.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old topic, but my characters live without me. They would continue to explore Tamriel. I would just not be able to check in on them. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See this picture? It is Karth at DragonCon in 1993, about a year before Elder Scrolls :Arena was released.

Khajiit was khajiit before khajiit were khajiit, and this one will be khajiit long after as well.

karth93Dcon.jpg
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other Option.

I would write and draw comics about my ESO characters in my notebooks and sketchbooks.

After when I got permanently blocked on Guild Wars 2 I started to draw pictures of all my characters and wrote stories for them in the form of cartoons and comics.

ESO wouldn't be much different. I would introduce both my ESO characters to my Guild wars 2 characters and have them go on adventures together as best friends in my artwork.
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    Pretty old topic but it got me interested lol.

Honestly, my characters are already living outside Elder Scrolls canon, so it wouldn't be an issue to continue roleplaying outside the game (I already do it 90% of the time). + you can still do drawings/commissions, write stories, etc.

I can't even think of getting rid of them, they are very precious to me and they got me out of bad places mentally many, many times.