Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[SPOILER] A poll about the consequences of 2022 High Isle Lore

• Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Next year is the 10 year anniversary. I don’t think it’s rationale to even consider throwing out Cyrodil and starting over. The peace talk conversation might just lead to a PvE temporary truce related to a future chapter (like the main quest peace talk that allowed for the Coldharbour invasion).
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    would it fit the lore if during ESO's time a copy of Cyrodiil was made and in which timeline the Imperials fought to take back this land? Is it even possible to make a copy of Cyrodiil and change it in some way - to have two Cyrodiil's - portals to a present one or to a past one - Edit:
    Edited by Eporem on 1 February 2023 20:32
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Eporem wrote: »
    would it fit the lore if during ESO's time a copy of Cyrodiil was made and in which timeline the Imperials fought to take back this land? Is it even possible to make a copy of Cyrodiil and change it in some way - to have two Cyrodiil's?

Tiber Septim has a little snow globe on his desk but it’s actually a mini-pocket plane of Tamriel inside and that’s the whole game of ESO. He knocks it over one day and that’s the Dragon Break that wipes out ESO and resets the Tamriel timeline.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Surragard wrote: »
    would it fit the lore if during ESO's time a copy of Cyrodiil was made and in which timeline the Imperials fought to take back this land? Is it even possible to make a copy of Cyrodiil and change it in some way - to have two Cyrodiil's?

Tiber Septim has a little snow globe on his desk but it’s actually a mini-pocket plane of Tamriel inside and that’s the whole game of ESO. He knocks it over one day and that’s the Dragon Break that wipes out ESO and resets the Tamriel timeline.

So what you are saying is that dragons, and by proxy dragonborn, are clumsy and the rest of Nirn suffers because of it? :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

I found myself looking up what a Dragon Break might mean, in the Elders Scrolls

Dragon Break
    A Dragon Break, sometimes referred to as an un-time, is a temporal phenomenon that involves a splitting of the natural timeline which results in branching parallel realities where the same events occur differently, or not at all. This results in a return to the non-linear timeline of the Dawn Era.

Is ESO then in un-time?

I would think ESO would be in the non-linear time of the Dawn Era if this is how it is defined from here:

"What is meant by non linear time?
    adjective. If you describe something as non-linear, you mean that it does not progress or develop smoothly from one stage to the next in a logical way. Instead, it makes sudden changes, or seems to develop in different directions at the same time." ...

Edited by Eporem on 1 February 2023 23:45
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

I found myself looking up what a Dragon Break might mean, in the Elders Scrolls

Dragon Break
    A Dragon Break, sometimes referred to as an un-time, is a temporal phenomenon that involves a splitting of the natural timeline which results in branching parallel realities where the same events occur differently, or not at all. This results in a return to the non-linear timeline of the Dawn Era.

That is the Lore definition, which is as meaningless as that which it attempts to define. :smile:

A dragon break is a plot device intended to create a canon ending to a story that has multiple mutually exclusive endings. :smile:

Aside from some relatively minor decisions the player has made about character they come across, all of the things that happen in ESO have just one ending. There isn't really anything that needs a dragon break.

• Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    @Elsonso I mostly agree but it’s hard to swallow that no one in Tamriel remembers the invasion of Molag Bal and decimation of the Imperial City. The Three Banners War is pretty safe in the lore of the Interregnum and shotty records from that time but the Planemeld is harder to justify.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    @Elsonso I mostly agree but it’s hard to swallow that no one in Tamriel remembers the invasion of Molag Bal and decimation of the Imperial City. The Three Banners War is pretty safe in the lore of the Interregnum and shotty records from that time but the Planemeld is harder to justify.

You realize that all they have to do is put a book in TES 6 that talks about the Plane Meld (etc) and then people in the 3rd Era remember it, right?

My expectation is that TES 6 will treat the events of ESO like they happened. The fact that they were not mentioned in any other TES games is just because the player never came across the information, not that it didn't happen.

Edit: ... and I mean "expectation"... if Bethesda does some "ESO never happened", I might just pass it over until it is in the bargain bin. They are already on my naughty list after what they did with the lore in Fallout 76.
    Edited by Elsonso on 4 February 2023 02:57
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Elsonso wrote: »

You realize that all they have to do is put a book in TES 6 that talks about the Plane Meld (etc) and then people in the 3rd Era remember it, right?

My expectation is that TES 6 will treat the events of ESO like they happened. The fact that they were not mentioned in any other TES games is just because the player never came across the information, not that it didn't happen.

They can do whatever they wish it’s a video game after all. I’m just pointing out that it suddenly popping up is strange, especially when some of the past in game lore books we have read are timeline books that do not mention it. The Sload are another example where we have lore books saying no one has seen them and yet here they are invading Summerset. I agree with you though it will probably get addressed tongue in cheek in a few books in TES VI, which is less harsh than a dragon break type of scenario.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace talks are much more likely to result in failure, even if they succeed. None of those leaders has the control of their own faction that they would like, and a resolution with the enemy would just trigger revolution at home. Whether they would do the calculation, and decide that continuation of the struggle for the Ruby throne gives their people a common cause, or that by ending it, they could spend more effort on domestic issues, is not clear.

And Varen Aquilarios is probably dead. So they can’t hail him as a hero, and install him as a puppet, which is the sort of ending they would all need to free them for the internal problems. None of the three wants any of the others on the throne and the Vestige is too busy for the job.

So they might agree a short truce, but it could not last. And the truce could end with local uprisings splitting up the Alliances, or resumption of the three-way war, or some combination.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Elsonso wrote: »

They can do whatever they wish it’s a video game after all. I’m just pointing out that it suddenly popping up is strange, especially when some of the past in game lore books we have read are timeline books that do not mention it. The Sload are another example where we have lore books saying no one has seen them and yet here they are invading Summerset.

Lore has been popping up suddenly in Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall, and sometimes the Lore changes. The main difference with ESO is the need to retcon changes into following games due to the fact that ESO takes place in the past. BGS obviously knew from the start they would be merging the lore when TES 6 came out, and they kept an eye on what ZOS was doing during the formative years. If the intent was for BGS to ignore whatever ZOS did, they could have put ESO in an oblivion plane mirror of Tamriel and let them go off on their own. Instead, they apparently had veto power over what ZOS did. (Source: SlashLurk streams)

There is very little reason for TES 6 to delve too heavily into the events that ESO introduced... unless that is what they want to do. That means that all of the lore from a time prior to whatever game is being played is handled by books, which are deliberately defined to be possibly inaccurate and definitely biased. This is no different than how TES 2, 3, and 4 were handled by TES 5. It is also how TES 5 will be handled by TES 6, if tradition holds.

It is actually possible that TES 6 main story could build on something that ZOS introduced into ESO. That would tie the games together and integrate the Lore. ZOS is making a ton of Lore that could be picked up and expanded on. For all we know, BGS may have come to ZOS to add that Lore as backstory for TES 6. I have had the impression that the ESO Creative Director was aware of the plot and location of TES 6 as far back as 2 years ago. When asked, I never heard him deny it, which could just mean I was not there at the time. In any case, if he knows, there has been plenty of time for him to inject TES 6 backstory into ESO.

• starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    PVP in Cyrodiil doesn't even have to stop if the peace talks happen. Cyrodiil can just be locked in the past.

There hasn't been any government or infrastructure in Cryrodiil for a few decades now. The place is over run by goblin tribes, bandit groups, militia groups, local warlords, etc. I doubt that condition will change any time soon. The 3 factions could make peace today and Cryodiil would still be a war torn PvP zone for years to come.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on 8 February 2023 15:21
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    First off, let it be known that personally, I hate PvP, that being said I know there are a great number of folks who enjoy it (I am married to one) so would not want to see it removed.

I must assume that the Three Banners War has been a great drain on the three factions, funds that could be better used in other ways.

I have read these forums for many years and have seen where some folks wanted to PvP with friends, but could not because they were of different factions, or fight against them except they were of the same faction.

Imagine this, Cyrodiil, no longer controlled by the 3 base factions, but instead when you enter, you choose your starting point, south, east or west. That choice sets your character's faction for that campaign, if in a group, the leader of the group chooses for the entire group.

I have heard that some quite toxic players have said and done things that caused the other factions to gang up on that of the offending player, even those who were only associated because of their faction, making their time very unproductive and not as fun. It is bad enough when the keep you are attacking is reinforced from within, but when the 3rd faction attacks you from the rear in force it could be very demoralizing.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    One of the longest conflicts in our recorded history, the Reconquista, lasted for 781 years. Having a war only last for a couple year in medieval setting is actually quite unrealistic imo.
    Hell, there are even modern wars that have been going on for ~80 years. Like the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, to mention one.

Although tbh, if we take the game's mechanics at face value, then I don't think that the leaders are even physically able to stop the war.
    The armies are tainted by self-interest, full of people who fight for reasons other than the lofty goal of putting an idealistic royal on the throne. Bunch of petty warlords who fund their private armies to play 'manifest destiny' and will claim victory for themselves. Or just want to live out their darkest desires (as evidenced by all the highly genocidal zone quests in the base game zones).
    The war has outgrown their leaders.
    Edited by phantasmalD on 15 February 2023 22:07