The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

Anybody tested Snake in the Stars set on PTS?

flguy147ub17_ESO
flguy147ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
On paper this looks completely broken. So i was curious if anybody here tested it and see how it actually performs in the game? This set just concerns me is all.
  • MetallicMonk
    MetallicMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is broken, and I'm sure they won't care and release it as they did with maras and forced everyone to play months in a stale pvp meta that literally everyone warned them about lol.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really sucks is this set will be OP against solo and small group players relying on self healing but because you can only have 1 instance applied at a time and it can only hit once per second it won't even begin to touch the cross healing of immortal ball groups. Thus prime time PvP will continue to be about chasing them around the top of a keep until they get bored and leave for at least another 3 months.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The design decisions behind this set make no sense. It’s going to be extremely overpowered against small group players, and will be the best dueling set in the game. Essentially this will deal 3-4x the damage of every other DOT set in the game and ignore shields and mitigation. And the counter play… don’t heal??
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we sure it's only one enemy at a time? I'm reading it as one stack per enemy not just one enemy.
    (5 items) Applying a Major or Minor Debuff to an enemy applies Star Venom to them for 6 seconds. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds. Whenever an enemy with Star Venom is healed, they take 2848 Daedric Damage, up to once per second. An enemy can only be effected by one instance of Star Venom at a time.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The design decisions behind this set make no sense. It’s going to be extremely overpowered against small group players, and will be the best dueling set in the game. Essentially this will deal 3-4x the damage of every other DOT set in the game and ignore shields and mitigation. And the counter play… don’t heal??

Agreed, exactly why i made this thread. As a recently returning player after 3 year break that is mainly into PVP and i mainly play solo. I was waiting until this next update to make my pvp gear builds cause i didnt want to waste the limited mats i have until i see the changes. But this set right here, will make me leave the game again i am afraid. I left before because of the constant balance issues. Not sure how this set even made it to the PTS.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »
    Are we sure it's only one enemy at a time? I'm reading it as one stack per enemy not just one enemy.
    (5 items) Applying a Major or Minor Debuff to an enemy applies Star Venom to them for 6 seconds. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds. Whenever an enemy with Star Venom is healed, they take 2848 Daedric Damage, up to once per second. An enemy can only be effected by one instance of Star Venom at a time.

usually if the cooldown was per target, it would state so

plaguebreak has a similar condition, where they cannot be affected by it if they are already a plague carrier, but explicitly also says 20 sec cooldown per target

this one reads kind of the same, however it just says 12 sec cooldown, so that is 50% uptime, on 1 target at a time, and they cannot be stacked by multiple people (so if 2 people have the set, 1 person will proc, the other will not)

in a 2v1 situation, 2 people could keep 1 person constantly under this effect, but the 1 person could only have 50% uptime on 1 target, not both

the only reason i dont see this turning the tables on a ball group is that this proc is also likely purgeable, so even if the ballgroup was outnumbered 3:1, the effect both could be cleansed or doesnt last long enough to provide any meaningful effect

it will be very powerful against solo targets (again unless they can purge), so i possibly see it more as a tool to help kill troll tanks by hitting them with oblivion dmg when they try to heal, as they will likely be outnumbered and keep getting the proc on them
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can only apply Star Venom once every 12 seconds.
    Once applied an enemy you have a 12 second cooldown before you can apply it again.
    That enemy then has 6 seconds of the effect ticking whenever they heal (up to once per second).
    I am curious how exactly this gets triggered for skills like Caltrops that apply their debuff in an AOE. My assumption would be that it just won't get applied and that it needs to be a direct target debuff.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only apply Star Venom once every 12 seconds.
    Once applied an enemy you have a 12 second cooldown before you can apply it again.
    That enemy then has 6 seconds of the effect ticking whenever they heal (up to once per second).
    I am curious how exactly this gets triggered for skills like Caltrops that apply their debuff in an AOE. My assumption would be that it just won't get applied and that it needs to be a direct target debuff.

it would potentially be able to trigger on every "tick" of caltrops, as soon as the proc was available, so likely on cast unless someone walked into it, but it would still be a much more expensive way to do that than say elemental susceptibility since it can only affect 1 target per proc and the proc cooldown is global not per target
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

usually if the cooldown was per target, it would state so

plaguebreak has a similar condition, where they cannot be affected by it if they are already a plague carrier, but explicitly also says 20 sec cooldown per target

this one reads kind of the same, however it just says 12 sec cooldown, so that is 50% uptime, on 1 target at a time, and they cannot be stacked by multiple people (so if 2 people have the set, 1 person will proc, the other will not)

in a 2v1 situation, 2 people could keep 1 person constantly under this effect, but the 1 person could only have 50% uptime on 1 target, not both

the only reason i dont see this turning the tables on a ball group is that this proc is also likely purgeable, so even if the ballgroup was outnumbered 3:1, the effect both could be cleansed or doesnt last long enough to provide any meaningful effect

it will be very powerful against solo targets (again unless they can purge), so i possibly see it more as a tool to help kill troll tanks by hitting them with oblivion dmg when they try to heal, as they will likely be outnumbered and keep getting the proc on them

Okay thank you. At least there's that. I'm concerned about this set, as a solo pug healer. Hopefully it works out and isn't as awful as it seems.
    Edited by Soraka on 1 February 2023 20:57
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this set misses its mark. It will have a greater impact on individual players who are not stacking healing. While it will impact tank builds its not going to be as effective as some would think in one on one situations. Because to run it players will have to take a cut in their damage output. Which results in less pressure from sustained damage.

Also the set it will have zero impact on players in large groups because the damage will be out healed due to the way healing effects can be stacked. I see this set being used more by 2-4 person groups who enjoy chasing down solo players, and/or farming ap in resource towers.

It might be better scale the set to the amount of incoming healing and delay the damage effect. So, it looks something more like “The amount of healing player receives over 3 seconds X% of the healing value is returned as oblivion damage when the debuff ends.” And include the over healing as part of healing received calculation.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my tests, I don't think it'll be that strong for the following reasons:

1. It has a long cooldown. Players can apply the debuff once, to a single target, every 12 seconds.
    2. Difficult to time in a rotation. The effect is activated on any minor or major debuff applied. If you light attack and end up proc'ing sundered (minor breach), then the effect is activated and it can't happen again for another 12 seconds. In order to use the set effectively, you'll want to time it so it's activated when your target is feeling pressured, especially considering the long cooldown. In contrast, a set like Oblivions Foe can be activated on demand (and on multiple targets).
    3. Difficult to track. If you use something like razor caltrops on a group of players, they are all affected with major breach, but the set's effect only procs on one of them. There is no visual indicator telling you which one has it.
    4. Not all targets heal every second. Targets who prefer burst heals might only feel the effect of the set once or twice in the 6 second window.
    5. Can be cleansed (unconfirmed)
    6. Affected by battle spirit (unconfirmed), which means it will deal 1300 damage per second. That's not nothing, but it isn't anything to write home to mama about either.

I could be wrong, but after playing around with it, I don't think it's for me.
    Edited by propertyOfUndefined on 1 February 2023 21:26
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the set is receiving so much hate to be honest. I can see that it is probably very strong-- and hopefully the value will be adjusted if necessary-- but isn't this something we've all been asking for? A counter to healing?

I've never understood the desire to curtail ball groups. I mean if you wanna limit HoT stacks to 2 or 3 that's probably a smart suggestion-- but it is the ball groups that will coordinate to have exactly the limit of radiating regens and no more. Exactly the limit of echoing vigors and no more. Exactly the limit of every HoT in the game and no more.

Good ball groups will always run cyrodiil. That's fair, logical, AND balanced.

What this set does is make incredibly tanky solo targets killable. Which is the problem as I have always seen it-- good duelers can't kill each other because living is just so incredibly easy.

People see this set and they worry how it'll perform in 1vX. They worry how it'll perform in Xv1. Why worry about how balanced something is in unbalanced circumstances? Isn't it much more meaningful to see if it's balanced in balanced circumstances?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I'm surprised the set is receiving so much hate to be honest. I can see that it is probably very strong-- and hopefully the value will be adjusted if necessary-- but isn't this something we've all been asking for? A counter to healing?

I've never understood the desire to curtail ball groups. I mean if you wanna limit HoT stacks to 2 or 3 that's probably a smart suggestion-- but it is the ball groups that will coordinate to have exactly the limit of radiating regens and no more. Exactly the limit of echoing vigors and no more. Exactly the limit of every HoT in the game and no more.

What this set does is make incredibly tanky solo targets killable. Which is the problem as I have always seen it-- good duelers can't kill each other because living is just so incredibly easy.

People see this set and they worry how it'll perform in 1vX. They worry how it'll perform in Xv1. Why worry about how balanced something is in unbalanced circumstances? Isn't it much more meaningful to see if it's balanced in balanced circumstances?

well all the situations have to apply

in a 1v1, i think this set could potentially be a game changer

in a 1vX it will be garbage

in a Xv1 it will also be kind potent because the target will have it on them all the time

against a ball group theres too much healing this is enough to counter maybe 1 hot not 5-6, as well as being purgeable

the 2 cases i see this will be used the most:
    • troll tank counter
    • gank build (initial burst, apply star venom so the target cant effectively heal making it harder to recover and more likely to be executed)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've never understood the desire to curtail ball groups.

Because ball groups destroy server performance wherever they go.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in a Xv1 it will also be kind potent because the target will have it on them all the time

against a ball group theres too much healing this is enough to counter maybe 1 hot not 5-6, as well as being purgeable

• troll tank counter
    • gank build (initial burst, apply star venom so the target cant effectively heal making it harder to recover and more likely to be executed)

From a troll tank counter perspective, this would actually pair well with Sload's. Get an extra 1.5-2K oblivion damage on top of Snake's damage per second. Even for a build running 30K health, this set's 2848 damage + the 900 per second you would get against that health level, would be fairly decent. A nearly 4K dot on a player with those two sets. Very niche, but has some potential.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

• troll tank counter

From a troll tank counter perspective, this would actually pair well with Sload's. Get an extra 1.5-2K oblivion damage on top of Snake's damage per second. Even for a build running 30K health, this set's 2848 damage + the 900 per second you would get against that health level, would be fairly decent. A nearly 4K dot on a player with those two sets. Very niche, but has some potential.

the only problem i see with that strategy though is both are purgeable, and many troll tanks likely wear maras balm, which would remove those effects before they became detrimental
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But all the situations don't apply. Won't. Can't. All the situations will happen, sure, but it can't be expected to be balanced in all of them.

Will ball groups use this? Maybe. Probably, to some extent. Will it make them mow down players that would normally be able to kite and even try to X them in a tower for 5 minutes? Probably, to some extent.

Honestly I think we all have a hero complex. We want the game balanced so 1 person can have a fighting chance against 10. Anything that 10 can use to kill 1 is considered abusive. But that's wrong, isn't it? 1 person fighting 10 isn't balanced. 10 people mowing down 1 is balanced.

Things that honestly help 1 person fight against 10 are some of the most hated features of this game. Mist form, permablock, maras balm, plaguebreak, dark convergence, undeath, high health, corrosive.

The game would be in a better state of balance if we just let ballgroups be super strong (cuz they will be no matter what,) and tried to balance 1v1 scenarios.

Everybody ENJOYS the idea of people that run in large groups are bad players. They want to run out there and show them how bad they are. They don't think all these bad players deserve their numbers advantage.

But the truth is: a numbers advantage is the most fair thing in the world. And some of those groups AREN'T bad players. And there's absolutely no reason to try and UNbalance a game to make ego-players feel more like the Hero of Tamriel.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the idea of this set is fine, most games even have something like this to counter healing. But the value is way too much. 2800 per second is massive. Maybe cut it in half and see how that goes. It is still cleansable right? So it’s not like it has zero counters.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fromage Duo! One wears Sloads, the other Snakin, both wear Knight Slayer and see who procceth the most pungent praise to Sheogorath O'Blivion!
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2800 should be cut in half with battle spirit.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But all the situations don't apply. Won't. Can't. All the situations will happen, sure, but it can't be expected to be balanced in all of them.

Will ball groups use this? Maybe. Probably, to some extent. Will it make them mow down players that would normally be able to kite and even try to X them in a tower for 5 minutes? Probably, to some extent.

Honestly I think we all have a hero complex. We want the game balanced so 1 person can have a fighting chance against 10. Anything that 10 can use to kill 1 is considered abusive. But that's wrong, isn't it? 1 person fighting 10 isn't balanced. 10 people mowing down 1 is balanced.

Things that honestly help 1 person fight against 10 are some of the most hated features of this game. Mist form, permablock, maras balm, plaguebreak, dark convergence, undeath, high health, corrosive.

The game would be in a better state of balance if we just let ballgroups be super strong (cuz they will be no matter what,) and tried to balance 1v1 scenarios.

Everybody ENJOYS the idea of people that run in large groups are bad players. They want to run out there and show them how bad they are. They don't think all these bad players deserve their numbers advantage.

But the truth is: a numbers advantage is the most fair thing in the world. And some of those groups AREN'T bad players. And there's absolutely no reason to try and UNbalance a game to make ego-players feel more like the Hero of Tamriel.
    You're totally contradicting yourself. It's a problem for 1 person to survive 10 players but it's ok for a ball group to heal through the damage of 40-50 people chasing them around the inside of an unflagged keep while taking damage from oils, meatbags, scattershot and coldfire? Ballgroups don't win those fights with a numbers advantage, they win with a heal and buff stacking advantage. An optimized ballgroup in PvP is the equivalent to having a god mode cheat active, you can't unbalance what isn't even close to being balanced in the first place.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on 2 February 2023 02:15
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    6. Affected by battle spirit (unconfirmed), which means it will deal 1300 damage per second. That's not nothing, but it isn't anything to write home to mama about either.

It is confirmed (at least on PTS) that is is not affected by Battle Spirit.
    The set is currently crazy strong, at least in dueling/BGs testing.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set is really going to hurt my vampire I imagine as well as other playstyles that heal over time like DK when doing damage with abilities like Burning Embers. They'll heal for the damage they do, but the vampire can't actually receive healing from other players.

So basically you're on your own getting slammed with high unmitigable damage every second whether you like it or not.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is confirmed (at least on PTS) that is is not affected by Battle Spirit.
    The set is currently crazy strong, at least in dueling/BGs testing.

This makes it way more appealing if that's the case. I might consider it now.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    This set is really going to hurt my vampire I imagine as well as other playstyles that heal over time like DK when doing damage with abilities like Burning Embers. They'll heal for the damage they do, but the vampire can't actually receive healing from other players.

So basically you're on your own getting slammed with high unmitigable damage every second whether you like it or not.

The is going to hurt nearly every solo and small group build. The only builds that it won't nuke would be one's that solely rely on burst heals or run around in a group keeping up a constant 20-50K in hots.
    As for your issue with a vamp not getting healing from others, untoggle frenzy, issue solved.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

The is going to hurt nearly every solo and small group build. The only builds that it won't nuke would be one's that solely rely on burst heals or run around in a group keeping up a constant 20-50K in hots.
    As for your issue with a vamp not getting healing from others, untoggle frenzy, issue solved.

I use Blood for Blood, not Blood Frenzy lol. Also I run Pale Order Ring to make Blood for Blood basically free and so my DK's DoTs give a constant streak of healing. Actually works amazingly well in duels.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion damage shouldn't exist in the game or needs completely reworked. In my opinion, it should only ignore resistance, not go through EVERYTHING lol.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it will be purged by mara's balm than it won't be very strong.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @OBJnoob: FWIW I'm in the camp that this set, in it's present form, is going to be toxic as f. It is Oblivion damage. It can't be mitigated. It is not affected by Battle Spirit. It's also been confirmed that it can be reapplied to a player every 6 seconds. All it takes is two players hunting down a single one. It IMO favors bigger groups over smaller ones. I don't know whether you remember Sloads. It was high Oblivion damage on it's release. No one liked that. It was one of the few occasions where ZOS nerfed the set after 6 weeks, e.g. before the usual 3 month window.

There are counters. If high health shielding sorcs work, that may be a counter, but they better not run Crit Surge. Or Polar Wind. Or Living Trellis. Or Swallow Soul. Or Vigor. Or Regeneration. Or <insert x>. Have you looked at your Vigor ticks? Are they even 2K in PvP? Meanwhile 2.8K Oblivion damage does what it says on the tin. Negating Vigor and then some. That's BS.

We've had anti-healing metas. There was Durok's Bane. There's Incap. This was more of a slow burn, but it also came to a head. At one point you could stack Major and Minor Defile with various amplifiers for something like 60% healing reduction on the target. People didn't like that. Granted that affected all your healing and Snake is capped, but at no point did it flat out invert a healing tick like Snake will do. I do not think people will like this. You effectively lose control of your character. If you run a heal, that should heal you, not do the opposite.

I think the meta we're in is actually kind of interesting. Healing is not that strong, but it can be stacked. It takes up bar space, at least as a solo player, for example when you replace some other skill with Vigor on your magicka build that already had heals. Hybridisation has made that possible, but I don't think individual heals are generally as strong as they have been in some older patches.

In my experience, damage metas don't last. Everyone who complains about a tank meta and looks for ZOS to fix it is, IMO, barking up the wrong tree. We had an extreme damage meta maybe 2 summers ago. It took a few weeks until everyone switched to Pariah or whatever the mitigation choice of the day was. IMO the majority of people do not like to die easily and they will always find ways of creating a tank meta whatever ZOS do. You're up against human nature.

When ZOS shift the goal post one way or the other, what that actually does is curtail the armor set selection that people will use. In a damage meta, people start wearing exclusively defensive sets. In an actual tank meta, people start wearing more offensive sets. You want a balanced meta where many sets, both offensive and defensive are viable. Of course Rallying Cry is having your cake and eating it, but you get the general idea.
    Edited by fred4 on 2 February 2023 15:58
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    axi wrote: »
    If it will be purged by mara's balm than it won't be very strong.
    Incorrect. It is, in fact, the anti-Mara set. Mara purges every 15s at most. In the meantime it heals you for small amounts, less than 1K, up to every second. Every time it does that, you'll be hit with a 2.8K Oblivion proc.
    Edited by fred4 on 2 February 2023 15:58
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB