The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Status on Hardware Refresh & Whitestrake’s Mayhem Event [January 2023]

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they need to give us an update when we are still 5 months away from the chapter (which is when they said the first batch of software upgrades would be completed)?

The only reason they updated us on the hardware is because the deadline they gave us is right around the corner.

It costs them nothing to remind people that this is coming, maintains communication on the subject, and serves to start repairing their communication gap.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no date for NA PSN/XBox server. Is there an ETA for the NA PSN/XBox servers?
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    No ETA on NA PSN/Xbox server hardware refresh yet. But we will update once we get more concrete information to share with everyone.
    I see no date for NA PSN/XBox server. Is there an ETA for the NA PSN/XBox servers?
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    No ETA on NA PSN/Xbox server hardware refresh yet. But we will update once we get more concrete information to share with everyone.

I appreciate the update but it is pretty disappointing that we are back to no concrete date for the NA PS/XB servers. I was really looking forward to Cyrodiil's performance improving and have been telling my entire guild that the new hardware was coming soon for weeks.

@DirtyDeeds765
    @ZOS_Kevin
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be possible to give a tentative month.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like to give everyone an update on the server hardware refresh, where we are completely replacing hardware in our North American and European datacenters. If you remember, I gave an update late last year with a timeline for our European datacenter refresh. Now that we are starting the work in earnest, I have a few updates to share.
    • We are running 1 or 2 weeks behind schedule because of shipping slowdowns. This is entirely out of our control and I apologize for it. This two week delay puts the refresh right on top of our March launch of Update 37, which for obvious reasons we don’t want to schedule simultaneously. So the new date for PC EU getting new hardware will be in early April, and PlayStation EU should follow very shortly after. In order to begin prepping for this work, we’re scheduling a maintenance on all EU realms that will occur on February 7.
    • Just like the PC NA refresh that occurred mid-last year, expect about a 14 hour downtime when the actual cutover happens. We'll keep you posted as to the specific day and times the servers will be unavailable.
    • The March/April ESO timeframe is always very busy. We have a lot of events and almost always have a major Update. Because of this, we need to move some events around on the calendar to give the infrastructure team some clear air to do the maintenance without impacting any ongoing events. We are moving Whitestrake’s Mayhem to later in the year to ensure the datacenter hardware refresh is complete before we hold the event. We still intend to have two Whitestrake’s Mayhem events in 2023. Since we will be moving an event that grants Event Tickets out of Q1 (January – March) and we want everyone to be able to get the Q1 morphing collectible, Passion’s Muse personality, we will make the Q1 fragments available through Q2 (April – June.) The amount of Event Tickets you can earn for the year will not change because of this shift. As we have done in previous years, all morphing collectible fragments for the year will also be available during the New Life Festival in December.
    That's it for now - we'll keep you updated as events warrant.

Soooo If all this is for PC/PS EU, Why not still have WhiteStrakes for PC NA and Xbox?

We’ll all have the event at the same time; that seems most fair for everyone and keeps everyone on the same event ticket/reward schedule.

Not everyone gets to play the major updates/chapters at the same time. What makes events any different.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Has it even been started?
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    250,300 and 400 latency Cyro ATM pc EU,log and tell me if you can play like this
    Edited by method__01 on 3 February 2023 11:27
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Why would they need to give us an update when we are still 5 months away from the chapter (which is when they said the first batch of software upgrades would be completed)?

The only reason they updated us on the hardware is because the deadline they gave us is right around the corner.

It costs them nothing to remind people that this is coming, maintains communication on the subject, and serves to start repairing their communication gap.

They have already started repairing the communication gap. Just look at all of the pinned threads in General, they hired Kevin and more I am sure I’m missing. Do they still need to do better? Sure, but let’s not pretend they have done nothing. That’s just my opinion though, I’ve noticed a difference.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Do they still need to do better? Sure, but let’s not pretend they have done nothing. That’s just my opinion though, I’ve noticed a difference.

Like I said, they had a lot of opportunities back in January to talk about a lot of things, but they did not. One thing they could have done during their "chapter reveal" is remind players about the server work that is supposed to start being rolled out when the chapter releases. Perfect time to say something, even if just to repeat that it is coming and to watch the patch notes.

Now they are talking about the hardware update, and in the minds of many "hardware = performance" and so this was also a perfect time to correct the previous miss and mention the server work that is coming out with the chapter.

Kevin is the best messenger they have had, but he can only be as effective as the messages that are given to him. When he has a message, he is right quick about sharing it. I just wish he had more messages. :smile:

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do they still need to do better? Sure, but let’s not pretend they have done nothing. That’s just my opinion though, I’ve noticed a difference.

Like I said, they had a lot of opportunities back in January to talk about a lot of things, but they did not. One thing they could have done during their "chapter reveal" is remind players about the server work that is supposed to start being rolled out when the chapter releases. Perfect time to say something, even if just to repeat that it is coming and to watch the patch notes.

Now they are talking about the hardware update, and in the minds of many "hardware = performance" and so this was also a perfect time to correct the previous miss and mention the server work that is coming out with the chapter.

Kevin is the best messenger they have had, but he can only be as effective as the messages that are given to him. When he has a message, he is right quick about sharing it. I just wish he had more messages. :smile:

That’s fair. They could have done an after ESO Reveal stream, like they done in years past, and covered that.

• Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it takes 1,5 years to start with this project, how long will it take to finish this project, in a long list of projects that have done nothing for performance? Nobody knows what "better overall server performance" means. How much better? Will it be enough to make the game playable after so many years? Or will we have to wait for another project again?

It would be nice to see some progress. It would be nice to know that there has been something done already. It would be nice to feel the performance in the game getting better just a little bit. But we do not see that. All we see is the same old "we are working on it, please be patient and leave us alone".

We don't need to help a billion dollar company communicate with their customers, they know exactly what they are doing. The point is that we don't know why they are doing it.

I don't care about fighting over wording/phrasing of marketing announcements year after year. I would like to see the game that i bought years ago deliver what was promised...
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    If it takes 1,5 years to start with this project, how long will it take to finish this project, in a long list of projects that have done nothing for performance? Nobody knows what "better overall server performance" means. How much better? Will it be enough to make the game playable after so many years? Or will we have to wait for another project again?

It would be nice to see some progress. It would be nice to know that there has been something done already. It would be nice to feel the performance in the game getting better just a little bit. But we do not see that. All we see is the same old "we are working on it, please be patient and leave us alone".

We don't need to help a billion dollar company communicate with their customers, they know exactly what they are doing. The point is that we don't know why they are doing it.

I don't care about fighting over wording/phrasing of marketing announcements year after year. I would like to see the game that i bought years ago deliver what was promised...

It's like you just skipped over everything that has been shared and then decided to just keep complaining...
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like you just skipped over everything that has been shared and then decided to just keep complaining...

Sorry you see it that way. I did not skip over anything, i have been painfully aware of every little thing they shared with us over the years. And even more aware of what they don't share with us. Ever.

I was not complaining, i was trying to describe the status quo. Because some people seem to forget very fast. It's not my fault that it is what it is. You can see what i mean when you try to play in Cyrodiil. Especially after work/school, or on the weekends on PC EU, Xbox NA, Xbox EU, Playstation NA or Playstation EU.

I was hoping to get some good news instead of the usual "we are working on it". Results. Achievements. Success. But that always seems to be just around the corner. Like nuclear fusion reactors.

Yes, this "project" seems to be a good plan, and i hope it works out this time. And we can start to feel improvements in about 6 months... But it's hard to keep dreaming when you get booted from a laggy server every day. Trying to play your favourite game, but can't really enjoy it, because performance and bugs stand in the way.

I don't care about blaming anyone for performance and bugs. I just want to play the game, because i love it. But i can't.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a 'year of performance' and a year after that of 'well yeah there were some issues' etc. my skepitcism is thick and I'm not getting my hopes up in any sort of way.

I hope everything is going smoothly this time and that we will eventually see success, it's just the silence and previous hostility make it difficult to place trust.

@ZOS_Kevin has done wonders to improve this
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

This "Hardware Refreshment" that suddenly changed "Hardware Replacement"* was something that make me rise an eyebrow...

* https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/604073/upcoming-pc-na-datacenter-hardware-replacement
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This "Hardware Refreshment" that suddenly changed "Hardware Replacement"* was something that make me rise an eyebrow...

* https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/604073/upcoming-pc-na-datacenter-hardware-replacement

And the "code rewrite" that became "server side hyperthreading."
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    btw @ZOS_Kevin is EU realm to expect 10 to 16 hours a week, every week, done in 1 or 2 consequential days until something like end of April?

And as tagged was it intentional change from "Replacement" to "Refresh" as words matter in corporate language?

(one has to plan what/when/how to play)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would certainly raise an eyebrow if they were giving the hardware refreshments rather than replacements. :astonished:
    Jaraal wrote: »
    And the "code rewrite" that became "server side hyperthreading."

Honestly, those two things mean the same thing to me when used by a lay-person. I was surprised they actually mentioned the multithreading work, though. I mean, they could have easily replaced "hardware replacement" with "server work" and "code rewrite" with "server work" and called it a day. I appreciate the extra detail, being a technical professional.
    Edited by Elsonso on 4 February 2023 14:43
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your computer have a hardware problem you replace that part, but when its geting old it's no longer a viable solution so you repace it with a new one same with the servers. An added benefit with new servers is that todays CPU have more threads than those 10-12 years ago.

Code rewrite is a general term including any type of code change, multi threading speicifes the major part of the code change.

The Feb. 7th maintenance is a one time preparation for the server replacement, as stated by Matt Frior in his message in this thread.
    Edited by LarsS on 4 February 2023 15:22
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LarsS wrote: »
    The Feb. 7th maintenance is a one time preparation for the server replacement, as stated by Matt Frior in his message in this thread.

I am rather curious about what this one time maintenance is doing for them. I can think of a number of things.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

I appreciate the update but it is pretty disappointing that we are back to no concrete date for the NA PS/XB servers. I was really looking forward to Cyrodiil's performance improving and have been telling my entire guild that the new hardware was coming soon for weeks.
    The plan here is to do PC EU in April then continue to schedule concrete dates for the remaining servers. We need to work around a number of factors but once we have a better idea of a timeline for the other servers, we will absolutely let everyone know.
    btw @ZOS_Kevin is EU realm to expect 10 to 16 hours a week, every week, done in 1 or 2 consequential days until something like end of April?

And as tagged was it intentional change from "Replacement" to "Refresh" as words matter in corporate language?
    We will not be doing a long maintenance like today every week; today's maintenance is some mandatory prep work for the new hardware but not something we will be doing weekly.

As for replacement vs refresh, honestly they are words we have just used interchangeably. No corporate speak or hidden meanings :) What matters is it is new hardware.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Hrafngrimr3
    Hrafngrimr3
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Could you comment on what aspects of the game the hardware replacement and code-rewrite are hoping to address? Considering I only play pvp modes I’m hoping to get some confirmation that these specific improvements address the issues currently plaguing cyrodiil at the moment (severe skill delay, rubberbanding, crashes, lag, etc). What’s the desired outcome and how will this be measured?
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will not be doing a long maintenance like today every week

That's great, but why, why, WHY do you ALWAYS seem to pick Tuesdays and the end of events for these maintenances? Literally any other day of the week would be preferable to cutting out most of the day for people to collect their tickets (especially since you count this as a full day for the "this is how many tickets you can get" section) and you continue to screw trading guilds over during the one time of the week that we're all hands on deck to make sure we get a guild trader. I've long since given up on ZOS implementing anything that will actually help guilds (like not getting kicked for "spam" while updating notes or the ability to send mass mails to guild members without risking getting social banned), but can you at least do the bare minimum of supporting the things you claim to care for with your "here's some guild ads, go join them" community posts?
  • Duane
    Duane
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Could you comment on what aspects of the game the hardware replacement and code-rewrite are hoping to address? Considering I only play pvp modes I’m hoping to get some confirmation that these specific improvements address the issues currently plaguing cyrodiil at the moment (severe skill delay, rubberbanding, crashes, lag, etc). What’s the desired outcome and how will this be measured?

If we are being 100% honest here and realistic with expectations look no further than what happened to PC NA server upgrade. Eso PvP was playable for the most part during primetime greyhost up until update 36. After that it went back to same old lag we have experienced for YEARS. You are looking to get a few months of maybe 15% better performance just to have to go back to the way it used to be. Which is a sad reality, maybe other platforms will be different maybe PC EU players may return back to their server once their upgrade is complete to fix the performance problems on NA. Who knows. But what I do know, performance isn't any better on PC NA than what I experienced on PS NA for 6 years. I have a beast of a computer and 500 mbps download speed. I stay at 70 ping mostly until greyhost happens and I'm bumping up to 150-200.

I just want those to be aware that even with the server upgrades, performance doesn't improve long term. Maybe the code rewrite is what will fix it. But I won't hold my breath. Eso PvP is the best PvP when it works, but when it doesn't it is beyond frustrating.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome over to PC/EU Gray Host ar prime time, ;) NA is still much better.
  • upari
    upari
    ✭✭✭

The plan here is to do PC EU in April then continue to schedule concrete dates for the remaining servers. We need to work around a number of factors but once we have a better idea of a timeline for the other servers, we will absolutely let everyone know.

We will not be doing a long maintenance like today every week; today's maintenance is some mandatory prep work for the new hardware but not something we will be doing weekly.

As for replacement vs refresh, honestly they are words we have just used interchangeably. No corporate speak or hidden meanings :) What matters is it is new hardware.

Which i quess couldn't be done -don't know- like tomorrow when there wouldn't be last day of event...
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should rollback the name of Whitestrakes Mayhem to Midyear Mayhem?
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still plan to have it twice this year, but given the timeline, it seems the first will be April/May when the original was June/July, and with how people already get upset that there is a PvP event for tickets already; I can't see how we still don't lose out by having it pushed back a few months to then cram in a 2nd one by the end of the year.

I mean; what then happens to what should have been the first one next year? We going to catch up by having one just a month or 2 after?
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on 9 February 2023 13:44
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still plan to have it twice this year, but given the timeline, it seems the first will be April/May when the original was June/July, and with how people already get upset that there is a PvP event for tickets already; I can't see how we still don't lose out by having it pushed back a few months to then cram in a 2nd one by the end of the year.

In my mind, the bigger question is "why now?"

Clearly they had no reservations about running it in the past. ZOS has showcased their server limitations many times before. Anyone remember trying to get to the Chef during early anniversary events? ZOS knew their servers couldn't handle it, but they ran the event anyway.

So, what changed?