Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Status on Hardware Refresh & Whitestrake’s Mayhem Event [January 2023]

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    goboltz wrote: »
    "So the new date for PC EU getting new hardware will be in early April, and PlayStation EU should follow very shortly after. "

So what happened to Playstation NA ?! When does it get updated ?!

Here's the relevant info from the original article that Matt linked above:

Almost all the hardware should be delivered and in place by December and then we'll need a month or two to install and test everything before we shift over to the new hardware. Please note that we will be prioritizing all three Realms in the EU datacenter first, and then will return to the NA datacenter to finish moving Xbox and PlayStation Realms there. We are as frustrated as you that this has taken so long—but it is happening and will be done and ready for all players, probably in late February or March of 2023.

So, PS NA will happen along with XB NA, and AFTER all three EU realms. Since they appear to be keeping their word about upgrading EU first and since it's coming into a busy time for them (thus the delay of the EU upgrades), I am guessing XB/PS NA won't happen until probably May. Hopefully before the Chapter release.

It's interesting that they make no mention of XB EU whatsoever in the thread post.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just wanted to follow up here as we've seen a few people ask about some of the other megaservers and their upgrades. We haven't forgotten about those and they will get their updates as well. We are working on those as well and will have more information at a later date.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    The "code rework" I thought had nothing to do with multithreading. I understood that the "code rework" was something to do with PVP?

I thought it was something to do with the game as a whole.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't help but notice that in this post there is no mention of any base code rewrite/reworking as there was in the last pinned post of this nature.

Is the base code rewrite/reworking still an ongoing project or has that endeavor been scratched?

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_BrianWhee@ZOS_MattFirorler @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "code rework" I thought had nothing to do with multithreading. I understood that the "code rework" was something to do with PVP?

The code rework came out of their very very long investigation into the problems that Cyrodiil has. Sounds like they had a core bit of the server that was the bottleneck so they are rewriting stuff to make it multithreaded.

This is supposed to be the "fix" for Cyrodiil, and it is annoying that they forgot all about updating us about it. Par for the course, though.

The hardware update was not presented as being for Cyrodiil. It was for reliability. It addresses hardware failures that have been happening more frequently, especially on the EU megaservers. EU is apparently larger than the NA megaservers. More hardware means more opportunity to fail.

Edited by Elsonso on 1 February 2023 00:28
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

The code rework came out of their very very long investigation into the problems that Cyrodiil has. Sounds like they had a core bit of the server that was the bottleneck so they are rewriting stuff to make it multithreaded.

This is supposed to be the "fix" for Cyrodiil, and it is annoying that they forgot all about updating us about it. Par for the course, though.

The hardware update was not presented as being for Cyrodiil. It was for reliability. It addresses hardware failures that have been happening more frequently, especially on the EU megaservers. EU is apparently larger than the NA megaservers. More hardware means more opportunity to fail.

That's what I was thinking. Oh. Didn't they call it a "rearchitecture" originally?

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking. Oh. Didn't they call it a "rearchitecture" originally?

Not sure. That was a long time ago. I do know that forum interpretation after the fact has increased the scope of what they are doing. :smile: It boils down to "rewriting stuff", and not all stuff, just the parts that need to be addressed.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure. That was a long time ago. I do know that forum interpretation after the fact has increased the scope of what they are doing. :smile: It boils down to "rewriting stuff", and not all stuff, just the parts that need to be addressed.

Yeah. Transparency.... isn't.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnjetau wrote: »
    So why did you move WhiteStrakes, instead of Jesters Festival?

I understand the whole hardware replacement situation and the ZOS being busy, but surely having a "minor" event like WS would be less intensive than the Jesters Festival later in the month.
    Especially when the hardware replacement, will probably still require adjustments right upto the launch of the new Update in March.

:#

I know most people would prefer a more intensive event with servers that can handle the more intensive load. And there's no way that MYM (needing several new Cyro and IC campaigns, quick server calculations, increased numbers of players in PvP), is less intense than Jester's (5 fetch quests).

Also the fact that "Jester's Festival" is a holiday in-universe (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Jester's_Festival) set during April. Now you could ask why it's before Anniversary instead of after - the in-universe holiday is on the 28th - but that's to line up with the real-world 'holiday' of April Fool's day on the 1st.

Besides, from another thread... there's also a benefit to them delaying MYM considering one of the new achievements that's coming with the next update, so it'd be nice to get MYM to come after U37 lands:
    But more importantly, for anyone who's read the new PTS Patch notes yet, there's a new achievement coming with U37:
    ota78cqireng.png
    It would seem that they want to give us this achievement before we have an event which encourages us to do some of the stuff in said achievement, since that is quite a lot.

Nice! I will have that in 30 days.

Now if they will just give us a house and some mounts we can buy with Alliance points!
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    johnjetau wrote: »
    So why did you move WhiteStrakes, instead of Jesters Festival?

I understand the whole hardware replacement situation and the ZOS being busy, but surely having a "minor" event like WS would be less intensive than the Jesters Festival later in the month.
    Especially when the hardware replacement, will probably still require adjustments right upto the launch of the new Update in March.

:#

I know most people would prefer a more intensive event with servers that can handle the more intensive load. And there's no way that MYM (needing several new Cyro and IC campaigns, quick server calculations, increased numbers of players in PvP), is less intense than Jester's (5 fetch quests).

Also the fact that "Jester's Festival" is a holiday in-universe (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Jester's_Festival) set during April. Now you could ask why it's before Anniversary instead of after - the in-universe holiday is on the 28th - but that's to line up with the real-world 'holiday' of April Fool's day on the 1st.

Besides, from another thread... there's also a benefit to them delaying MYM considering one of the new achievements that's coming with the next update, so it'd be nice to get MYM to come after U37 lands:
    But more importantly, for anyone who's read the new PTS Patch notes yet, there's a new achievement coming with U37:
    ota78cqireng.png
    It would seem that they want to give us this achievement before we have an event which encourages us to do some of the stuff in said achievement, since that is quite a lot.

Nice! I will have that in 30 days.

Now if they will just give us a house and some mounts we can buy with Alliance points!

That would be really awesome for those who love pvp!

• GBllt
    GBllt
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    goboltz wrote: »
    "So the new date for PC EU getting new hardware will be in early April, and PlayStation EU should follow very shortly after. "

So what happened to Playstation NA ?! When does it get updated ?!

Here's the relevant info from the original article that Matt linked above:

Almost all the hardware should be delivered and in place by December and then we'll need a month or two to install and test everything before we shift over to the new hardware. Please note that we will be prioritizing all three Realms in the EU datacenter first, and then will return to the NA datacenter to finish moving Xbox and PlayStation Realms there. We are as frustrated as you that this has taken so long—but it is happening and will be done and ready for all players, probably in late February or March of 2023.

So, PS NA will happen along with XB NA, and AFTER all three EU realms. Since they appear to be keeping their word about upgrading EU first and since it's coming into a busy time for them (thus the delay of the EU upgrades), I am guessing XB/PS NA won't happen until probably May. Hopefully before the Chapter release.

It's interesting that they make no mention of XB EU whatsoever in the thread post.

Why « interesting » ?
  • marcbf
    marcbf
    @ZOS_MattFiror, @ZOS_Kevin why not schedule next week's maintenance, which apparently is only for EU servers, for Wednesday, 8 February, when the current event is over, instead of Tuesday, 7 February, when it's still on? Is there a particular reason why players in the EU should miss two event tickets? Asking for a friend.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GBllt wrote: »
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Why « interesting » ?

Because this game is owned by XBox. We can assume XBox in everything they say, but they called out Playstation when they could have just said "Consoles".

I can't answer for the person quoted above, but for me... this is nothing nefarious, but it is interesting enough to be noticed. Deliberate? Just an editing glitch? Interesting, either way.
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, it's time to ask this question directly. @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom what about Xbox?
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Aektann wrote: »
    Okay, it's time to ask this question directly. @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom what about Xbox?

We noted this in an earlier comment. We'll have more information at a later date once those details are final.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Matt Firor posted an ESO PVP Update talking about you were going to "rearchitect our server" - that you needed to "essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code" because it "should dramatically increase server performance", we should "expect this to take up much of 2022", and you would "give ... periodic updates about the re-architecture progress over the course of the year". "

That was Jan 2022, This comment describes September, where nothing had been updated yet.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7724196/#Comment_7724196

No clear word on this even now.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    I couldn't help but notice that in this post there is no mention of any base code rewrite/reworking as there was in the last pinned post of this nature.

Is the base code rewrite/reworking still an ongoing project or has that endeavor been scratched?

Just wanted to chime in on this one. While we don't have an update to share with all of you at this time regarding the details of this project, the work is still ongoing. We've noted previously that this process is one that takes time and is fairly complex. This one we want to get right, so it will take some time. But just to answer the question at hand, the project is currently still ongoing and has not been cancelled.
    Staff Post
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to follow up here as we've seen a few people ask about some of the other megaservers and their upgrades. We haven't forgotten about those and they will get their updates as well. We are working on those as well and will have more information at a later date.

Yeah but when do we get an update? Ps cyro is basically unplayable at this point. I did a rebuild and by the time y'all get around to it sounds like it's gonna be another rebuild. Also can we please please take the golden out of cyro? It clogs the severs like crazy on the weekends. Just put em outside the bg quest tents like some of the other ap vendors. Tell var merchants make more sense because it is specific to ic. AP is shared with bgs as well.
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to chime in on this one. While we don't have an update to share with all of you at this time regarding the details of this project, the work is still ongoing. We've noted previously that this process is one that takes time and is fairly complex. This one we want to get right, so it will take some time. But just to answer the question at hand, the project is currently still ongoing and has not been cancelled.

@ZOS_Kevin
    This is all I needed to know to be honest, thanks for the info!

I am looking forward to news about Xbox servers, it's a bit strange to leave that out in this post, I suppose it's delayed or something else will happen but it's curious to say the least, it would have been better to just give the info, at least then we'd know why we aren't getting a refresh at the same time.

Any eta on this info? Days, weeks, months?
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The change from "upgrade" to "refresh" makes me wonder if this change in wording was intentional and has underlying meanings and pops more question marks in my head.

Also, it has been almost a year and by any means, there really needs to be something much clearer than "we're working on it" type of statement about the code re-write.

But let's hope the hardware upgrade(?) makes things better a bit so that players can tolerate the more wait for the code re-write.
    Edited by Knockmaker on 1 February 2023 18:15
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This kind of update should be given periodically without being prompted. It's Business Professional 101 type stuff. Whether you're in HR, management or simply on a team, if you tell someone or a million someone's you'll get back to them, get back to them. It's not alot of effort. Nothing makes people feel undervalued more than acting like they don't exist.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Stridig wrote: »
    This kind of update should be given periodically without being prompted. It's Business Professional 101 type stuff. Whether you're in HR, management or simply on a team, if you tell someone or a million someone's you'll get back to them, get back to them. It's not a lot of effort. Nothing makes people feel undervalued more than acting like they don't exist.

Following up here as this is important to comment on. I replied to reiterate the process is still being worked on because the question was asked. We understand sometimes reassurance and clarification is needed and we are happy to follow up.

To the point of periodic updates, Matt gave an update on this just in Dec. 2022. Here is what he said, "Our multi-threading work continues, as we announced a month or so back. Just to remind everyone, this is the initiative that will result in better overall server performance. As we already announced, we will be phasing these changes in over the course of 2023, starting with the Chapter in Q2. We’ll keep everyone updated in patch notes going forward."

We also had smaller updates in June and August of 2022, post-announcement of the work starting. The "Business Professional 101 type stuff" commentary is not need or helpful to the communication process.
    Staff Post
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please understand Kevin, you are not the target of these commentaries. We all know you can only pass on what you are allowed to.

Update of this sort of importance should be quarterly, pinned and more than 'they are working on it'. I can't imagine that the combat devs do not understand the frustration and undercurrent of anger that is happening. There is an easy way to begin to dispel that and regain the trust of the playerbase.

PCNA
    PCEU
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @blktauna Want to follow up here. Totally understand I specifically am not the target here. And your feedback is helpful, something we will take to the team to consider regarding having something quarterly. We are all for feedback and working on improving communication on this issue where we can.

However, the point we're trying to highlight is there have been recent updates and fairly recently. The implication of incompetence, while not directed at me, is not helpful to getting any information out faster or clearer. We understand frustration around the process. There are better ways to vocalize that.
    Staff Post
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kind of update should be given periodically without being prompted. It's Business Professional 101 type stuff. Whether you're in HR, management or simply on a team, if you tell someone or a million someone's you'll get back to them, get back to them. It's not a lot of effort. Nothing makes people feel undervalued more than acting like they don't exist.

Following up here as this is important to comment on. I replied to reiterate the process is still being worked on because the question was asked. We understand sometimes reassurance and clarification is needed and we are happy to follow up.

To the point of periodic updates, Matt gave an update on this just in Dec. 2022. Here is what he said, "Our multi-threading work continues, as we announced a month or so back. Just to remind everyone, this is the initiative that will result in better overall server performance. As we already announced, we will be phasing these changes in over the course of 2023, starting with the Chapter in Q2. We’ll keep everyone updated in patch notes going forward."

We also had smaller updates in June and August of 2022, post-announcement of the work starting. The "Business Professional 101 type stuff" commentary is not need or helpful to the communication process.

This wasn't a personal attack and I apologize that it seems that way. I guess my frustration is having multiple threads with various updates that really leave the community with unanswered questions. The PvP community, in general, feel in a lot of ways like second class citizens. Again, I apologize as this was not a personal attack.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Stridig No worries. Totally understand frustration. Just wanted to make it clear that for communication to improve (which we are always evaluating and working on), it needs to be a two-way street. There was a suggestion earlier to make these more visible in some what so that these updates are easier to see. Making no promises, but we will take that back to the team for consideration. Hopefully that will help to bridge the gap in updates for this topic.
    Staff Post
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_Kevin and @ZOS_MattFiror for the updates.
    Especially Kevin, your constant updates on the forums is really something we needed. Thanks. Keep up the good work.
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for copy and pasting this Kevin.

Even though it was included in the Studio Director's letter, it seems almost everyone either disregarded it or forgot about it. I haven't seen anybody reference it in the ten times I've seen it come up in the last week or two. I'm with you guys! LOL.

@DirtyDeeds765
    @ZOS_Kevin
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though it was included in the Studio Director's letter, it seems almost everyone either disregarded it or forgot about it. I haven't seen anybody reference it in the ten times I've seen it come up in the last week or two. I'm with you guys! LOL.

@ZOS_Kevin

It isn't necessarily that people forgot. Instead, what was noticed was that ZOS didn't update. That makes them look like they forgot.
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_Kevin

It isn't necessarily that people forgot. Instead, what was noticed was that ZOS didn't update. That makes them look like they forgot.

Why would they need to give us an update when we are still 5 months away from the chapter (which is when they said the first batch of software upgrades would be completed)?

The only reason they updated us on the hardware is because the deadline they gave us is right around the corner.

@DirtyDeeds765