The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is the status of the re-architecturing of the server that was mentioned 9 months ago in January

DirtyDeeds765
DirtyDeeds765
✭✭✭✭
Edit: Gina did address this on June 23rd on the linked post below. She said it was "still ongoing". I skimmed past it because it was only 1 or two sentences.

9 months ago in January, Matt Firor posted an ESO PVP Update talking about you were going to "rearchitect our server" - that you needed to "essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code" because it "should dramatically increase server performance", we should "expect this to take up much of 2022", and you would "give ... periodic updates about the re-architecture progress over the course of the year".

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595442/eso-pvp-update-updated-june-2022/p1

Well 75 percent of the year has passed and we haven't gotten any updates even though you said they would be given and even though people have asked on that post.

Can we please get an update on what's going on with the re-architecturing of the server?
Edited by DirtyDeeds765 on September 27, 2022 10:42PM
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder to, even short message like on track or delayed till xxxx, would be great.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS will ignore this as hard as the Q&A questions.

I hope they prove me wrong.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually did say it was getting pushed back and that it wouldn't be till sometime next year. Hop of YouTube. A few content creators covered the announcement a month or so back.
  • ChuckyPayne
    ChuckyPayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anwser here:
    Pinned topic: ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    They actually did say it was getting pushed back and that it wouldn't be till sometime next year. Hop of YouTube. A few content creators covered the announcement a month or so back.

You're talking about the new servers, this is about the code rewrite.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "over the course of the year", last update (or edit to the post) was June 23rd. You need a monthly update? Rewriting the code isn't going to get rushed.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they had given an update? In that they have done PC NA, but that due to the continued global shortage of certain necessary bits, the planned programme had been delayed? Or did I imagine that?

(And before people jump on to whinge that MS should be able to get those components easily - no.
    And even if they could get them by throwing huge amounts of cash at suppliers so they can jump the order queue, it’s not a good look to demand stuff for something trivial as an online game when they are needed for far more important, possibly life-saving, things.)
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought they had given an update? In that they have done PC NA, but that due to the continued global shortage of certain necessary bits, the planned programme had been delayed? Or did I imagine that?

That was hardware upgrades. We're talking about the code itself. Completely different projects.

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding was coding would be updated after hardware updates which makes sense to me.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anwser here:

I think you intended to add this link
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595442/eso-pvp-update-updated-june-2022/p1
    "over the course of the year", last update (or edit to the post) was June 23rd. You need a monthly update? Rewriting the code isn't going to get rushed.

and June was only three months ago. Beyond they are still working on it, as was stated in the linked thread, I do not see what more they can say. If it is not completed and deployed this year that is a good thing. We want it done right, done well rather than done on time.

• UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 months ago in January, Matt Firor posted an ESO PVP Update talking about you were going to "rearchitect our server" - that you needed to "essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code" because it "should dramatically increase server performance", we should "expect this to take up much of 2022", and you would "give ... periodic updates about the re-architecture progress over the course of the year".

Well 75 percent of the year has passed and we haven't gotten any updates even though you said they would be given and even though people have asked on that post.

Can we please get an update on what's going on with the re-architecturing of the server?

It seems like these announcements are more PR than reality to me. If you've been around long enough you've seen how the goal posts keep moving and the communication rate keeps decreasing. Who else remembers all the PvP tests about 18 months ago and how rough a time that was and how nothing good came out of those tests? All we got was another round of lowering the population cap and a bunch more proc sets after all that.

At this point only results matter.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Anwser here:

and June was only three months ago. Beyond they are still working on it, as was stated in the linked thread, I do not see what more they can say. If it is not completed and deployed this year that is a good thing. We want it done right, done well rather than done on time.

3 months is 1/4 of a year, if the updates were to be "periodic" throughout that year another is definitely due at this point.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could provide an update. Like, "We have the software ready to go and will begin testing as soon as EU hardware is updated to match NA." Or, "We have been blowing it off and won't even begin the software rewrite until EU hardware is upgraded. Ask us again in 2024."
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anwser here:

3 months is 1/4 of a year, if the updates were to be "periodic" throughout that year another is definitely due at this point.

Assuming the "periodic" updates is related to DLC launches, that is irrelevant since this is a server update, not a client update. That leaves a lot of time for Zenimax to be able to let us know if this will be ready before the end of the year or will be delayed. It is an extremely major project.

More important is that most of us care more that this is done right than completed before 12/21/2022. Priorities.

• Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, PC EU Greyhost Prime Time
    MKreUhX.png

There is no recovering from this.

• gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would also like to know how this re-architecture process is going.
    This is different from the server hardware replacement.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭

They didn't update that post with any information on the status of the re-architecture on June 23rd. The "over the course of the year" comment was the original comment made.

Edit: You're right, I missed that.
    Anwser here:

Where did they say they were still working on it? The OP is still the same as it was back in January and Gina made a post on there in June but it was only talking about weekly bg events.

Edit: You're right, I missed that.

It seems like these announcements are more PR than reality to me. If you've been around long enough you've seen how the goal posts keep moving and the communication rate keeps decreasing. Who else remembers all the PvP tests about 18 months ago and how rough a time that was and how nothing good came out of those tests? All we got was another round of lowering the population cap and a bunch more proc sets after all that.

At this point only results matter.

This is why we need to stay on them and hold them accountable - the people that aren't burnt out from doing it, anyway.
    Edited by DirtyDeeds765 on September 27, 2022 10:44PM
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope this magic code rewrite will give us Class Change and the ability to move from console to pc. Although the later want may be blocked more by lawyers then tech issues.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrLasagna wrote: »
    Meanwhile, PC EU Greyhost Prime Time
    MKreUhX.png

There is no recovering from this.

And this is with a population cap of 75-80 players/faction. The NA server is doing a bit better and does get a queue during prime time most of the time, but only most of the time even with the newer servers.

PvP was the best part of ESO for the first 3-5 years. Now PvP is so neglected it makes it seem like their long term plan is to eliminate it from the game.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Gina did address this on June 23rd on the linked post below. She said it was "still ongoing". I skimmed past it because it was only 1 or two sentences.

It'll be done dirt cheap. B)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tenthirty2 wrote: »

It'll be done dirt cheap. B)

Nice AC/DC reference there.

We haven't heard any updates on this commitment as far as I know. But they did say they'd have it done by the end of this year if I remember correctly.
    Edited by UnabashedlyHonest on September 28, 2022 4:55PM