Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What happend to the graphics o.O?

Makoi
Makoi
I recently just bought a PS4 Pro - and thought I'd check out ESO on it.

Now I havent played in a while - But I honostly dont remember the graphics looking like this.

It seems oversaturated, and yet still details missing, or feels like it - water reflections are gone, tree's in the background has no shadows and just looks like they are self-illuminated.

Screenshots below was taken in 4K - Screnshots arent 4K however - but should give the general idea of things.

Whats being seen below is way worse in 4K.

I have tried turning off HDR - but that just seem to make matters worse.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's on your end. It seems way too saturated with bad texturing.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my PS4 Pro ESO looks fantastic. Significantly better than it ever did on my normal PS4.

You have some settings to fix - maybe it has to do with your TV?

When I turn off HDR is messes up colors as well. Make sure to keep that on lol.

Good luck :neutral:
  • Makoi
    Makoi
    susmitds wrote: »
    I think it's on your end. It seems way too saturated with bad texturing.

Keep in mind that the screenshots provided are directly taken from my PS4 - which supposedly should look different on different monitors.

I can easily go look at screenshots from the game elsewhere and they look just fine - on the same TV :/
    These however looks absolutely terrible :(

But yes, the textures looks pretty terrible as well - I cant remember if the resolution for these are how they used to look or not.
    Vaoh wrote: »
    On my PS4 Pro ESO looks fantastic. Significantly better than it ever did on my normal PS4.

You have some settings to fix - maybe it has to do with your TV?

When I turn off HDR is messes up colors as well. Make sure to keep that on lol.

Good luck :neutral:

As mentioned above - if you check the screenshots provided, doesnt that look odd to you on your end :( ?
    Not sure what settings I can change ingame on it :s - as all im getting are HDR brightness and whether I should run 4K or 1080p Enhanced.

Change any of those settings barely does anything - Enchaned 1080p gives more detailed shadows and... darker water ?
    But thats really all I can tell - and then ofcourse a lower resulotion.
    Edited by Makoi on 8 January 2017 22:11
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could help more. Not an expert at this stuff :/

Switch the Graphics setting to "4K" and make sure HDR is enabled in on your PS4 Pro via Sound and Screen options at the settings dashboard.

After both 4K and HDR are on, adjust your TV picture. That's what I would do.

• partzs
    partzs
    I hate to ask this but does your tv support 4k resolution? What brand is it and are you sure you are using a 4k port on the tv? a lot of 4k TV's dont have all the HDMI ports as 4k!
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makoi wrote: »

Now I havent played in a while - But I honostly dont remember the graphics looking like this.

It seems oversaturated, and yet still details missing, or feels like it - water reflections are gone, tree's in the background has no shadows and just looks like they are self-illuminated.

Screenshots below was taken in 4K - Screnshots arent 4K however - but should give the general idea of things.

Two separate issues here. The 1080 Enhanced mode on PS4Pro was supposed to enhance water reflections. ZOS removed that enhancement in a subsequent patch, so that's why you're not seeing reflections.

The color - That's by design (Personally, I love it - You get used to it but I think it looks amazing, especially at sunset/sunrise and overnight). It's part of HDR, however you CAN squash that without turning HDR all the way off - There's a setting in the PS4 Video Output (Under the PS4 Settings menu) called RGB Color Output. HDR is best in "Full" IMHO, but you can manually set that to "Limited" and I believe that may subdue the saturation if you're not comfortable with it.
    Edited by dotme on 9 January 2017 15:09
    PS4NA
  • Makoi
    Makoi
    partzs wrote: »
    I hate to ask this but does your tv support 4k resolution? What brand is it and are you sure you are using a 4k port on the tv? a lot of 4k TV's dont have all the HDMI ports as 4k!

Yea my TV supporrts 4K :) - ots a samsung.
    And it displays the resolutions as well :)

dotme wrote: »

Two separate issues here. The 1080 Enhanced mode on PS4Pro was supposed to enhance water reflections. ZOS removed that enhancement in a subsequent patch, so that's why you're not seeing reflections.

The color - That's by design (Personally, I love it - You get used to it but I think it looks amazing, especially at sunset/sunrise and overnight). It's part of HDR, however you CAN squash that without turning HDR all the way off - There's a setting in the PS4 Video Output (Under the PS4 Settings menu) called RGB Color Output. HDR is best in "Full" IMHO, but you can manually set that to "Limited" and I believe that may subdue the saturation if you're not comfortable with it.

Would like to start out with that every other game that supports HDR everything looks fine.

And as explained in my first post, if I turn off HDR in my PS4 settings it gets way worse. It is seriously strange.

As such I play the game in 4K so I guess thats why the graphics looks relatively strange on that end - and I might just be remembering what it looks like on the pc.

It is specificly eso that looks strange to me - and very oversaturated, every other game with hdr support ive played looks amazing /:
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as explained in my first post, if I turn off HDR in my PS4 settings it gets way worse. It is seriously strange.

As such I play the game in 4K so I guess thats why the graphics looks relatively strange on that end - and I might just be remembering what it looks like on the pc.

It is specificly eso that looks strange to me - and very oversaturated, every other game with hdr support ive played looks amazing /:
    Yes - You can leave HDR on, but set RGB output on PS4 to "Limited" and that will help a little with the saturation. I'm so used to it now and I still think it looks great with RGB mode set on Full but everyone is different. I did have to adjust my Samsung TV (Expert Settings) after getting my PS4Pro and change a few settings in there but now I'm pretty happy with everything.

PS4NA
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They broke graphics on PS4Pro in 1.19 update: reduced shadow and grass render distance and completely removed reflections, so water looks worse than standard PS4
  • Natai
    Natai
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP that something is off with how ESO is handling HDR in-engine.
    I've been playing ESO on my Xbox One S, and I just upgraded my TV with HDR. I've adjusted settings so that the TV looks great with everything, including the Xbox, but ESO has that oversaturated look. The Nord I've been playing now looks red.
    I'd also like to stress that only the in-engine portions of the game are oversaturated - loading screens and menus look the same as before.
    Tried fiddling with the HDR brightness setting, but that didn't seem to do anything.