Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need Tips for Root and CC Defense

akray21
akray21
✭✭✭✭✭
I am struggling mightily when it comes to avoiding or breaking CC and roots. I feel like the constant spam and use of CC and roots in PvP makes the game less fun and that they need to take a serious look at some of these abilities (but that is another discussion).

Whenever I die, it is because I got CC'd or rooted and was unable to do anything about it. Most of the time the lag is so real I die before the game shows me I'm rooted. Example.. Someone uses talons on me, but the talons don't appear under my feet, thus I have no visual clue that the ability was used. My question to everyone is... what do you do to counter CC and roots? Any special abilities, gear, tactics? When rooted do you break free or just heal/shield yourself through it?

FYI I am a NB, so any class skills outside of NB won't be of use to me. Thanks for any tips!
  • Dositheus
    Dositheus
    ✭✭✭
    I am a NB as well, and know what you're coming accross. Talons are stupid honestly. You have to roll out of it, but they can just re-apply it since it is a snare not a hard cc. Fossilize is terrible as well. You'll get 6 or so seconds of cc immunity when you break free of something like fear or knockdown etc. Problem you are probably facing is getting focused down in those few seconds of being helpless, which I fight with as well. You have some good options though.

#1) Try and avoid the offending ability all together... by blocking, or dodge rolling at the right times.
    #2) Make yourself immune to said effects.
    -- Retreating Maneuver from the Alliance war tree.
    -- Shuffle (Active ability from Medium Armor)
    -- Immovable (Heavy armor)
    #3) Endure it or be one of those folks who just seems to be perma immune. :P
  • amonengelb16_ESO
    amonengelb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Usually most battles are about who's keeping control over the battlefield and who proves dominance. In other words: Pure damage is never the only solution.

But even CC can be countered. Mobility skills, as dodge, or good positioning is a good start against root. I think you mean the Petrify skill. Its a mid-range skill ... if you're a ranged character you will have to be extra caucious about your positioning and range. Bein super squishy is a huge weakness against CC ofc. Thats the idea of CCing. Most squishy characters deal a lot of damage but are weak against CC.

The best counter against CC is: Grouping. Seriously, one character alone will never be able to counter everything. You can choose to play a tank or a stamina-based character to break easily free. But a Magicka-based character or a quishy character will have struggles against CC. Groupsetups are the perfect solution against CC since other players will care about you either. If you just have one player who can throw a Purge for you, then your problem against most CC situations is solved.

Most CC skills are balanced by risk-reward. The only AoE-roots are melee ones while skills as Petrify are just singletarget.

For Petrify: Block a lot, dodge out/use purge or any root-breaker skill against the follow-up root. The idea behind this is to draw out your stamina. If you don't act quickly then you will die. If you lack stamina then a melee positioning will be really dangerous for you in most situations.
    Edited by amonengelb16_ESO on 2 April 2015 14:02
    A chalice. Bound to be filled with your tears of salt.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you lack stamina then a melee positioning will be really dangerous for you in most situations.

So as a Magicka based Melee I am probably not in the best position against CC? What effects does purge remove? Does purge remove all effects?
    Dositheus wrote: »
    #1) Try and avoid the offending ability all together... by blocking, or dodge rolling at the right times.

#2 states some abilities to help, are there any magicka abilities that help against CC, or are there only stamina abilities?
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Become a stamina NB and forever dodge roll lol.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka based, you might want to look at immovable potions. Better have good armor or shields but you have to watch with shields as they are going to CC you to where you cannot cast it back up.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Bosmer this would be a possibility, I could add werewolf as well and have stupid crazy stamina regen... But unfortunately I heal for my group in PvE and need to stay magicka based.... Or I could roll and alt, but that takes too much time and I don't enjoy the leveling process in this game. I might buy and max level character if/when they ever offer that (GASP!)...
    technohic wrote: »
    Magicka based, you might want to look at immovable potions. Better have good armor or shields but you have to watch with shields as they are going to CC you to where you cannot cast it back up.

So we covered problem #1 (I'm Magicka based)... so problem #2 is that I am a NB and have no class shields, lol
  • Dositheus
    Dositheus
    ✭✭✭
    Purge is your friend.
    akray21 wrote: »
    If you lack stamina then a melee positioning will be really dangerous for you in most situations.

So as a Magicka based Melee I am probably not in the best position against CC? What effects does purge remove? Does purge remove all effects?

#2 states some abilities to help, are there any magicka abilities that help against CC, or are there only stamina abilities?

Purge will get rid of it, and reduce the time of such effects on you. As a magica based, I'd have it on a bar. Also gets rid of mark, which will help let you cloak. Remember dodge roll then cloak. Otherwise, 90% of the time people will still see you and nuke you.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena set(40% cheaper CC break) and 2H skill forward momentum (root/snare removal and 2 seconds of immunity to them, 50% cheaper than dodge roll)
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Bosmer this would be a possibility, I could add werewolf as well and have stupid crazy stamina regen... But unfortunately I heal for my group in PvE and need to stay magicka based.... Or I could roll and alt, but that takes too much time and I don't enjoy the leveling process in this game. I might buy and max level character if/when they ever offer that (GASP!)...

So we covered problem #1 (I'm Magicka based)... so problem #2 is that I am a NB and have no class shields, lol

Yeah, I haven't even tried to level a magicka NB. They would have to tell you and it depends on what you are doing. Seen some SAP tanks obviously, but if you are going DPS, all I can assume from when they attack me is you want to kill quickly and GTFO.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I haven't even tried to level a magicka NB. They would have to tell you and it depends on what you are doing. Seen some SAP tanks obviously, but if you are going DPS, all I can assume from when they attack me is you want to kill quickly and GTFO.

Yup, I am trying to kill quickly and GTFO... But it has been like "get killed quickly and then respawn at closest keep".. lol..

Remember dodge roll then cloak. Otherwise, 90% of the time people will still see you and nuke you.

So THIS has been a major problem then... I break some CC then go straight into cloak. So you say when I do this, they can still see me? Is cloak still broken or is that intended? I seem to still get attacked when I am cloaked...
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So THIS has been a major problem then... I break some CC then go straight into cloak. So you say when I do this, they can still see me? Is cloak still broken or is that intended? I seem to still get attacked when I am cloaked...

Nah it's just that detection potions have a 40 second duration with 45 second cooldown. You'll never hide from me unless you get extremely lucky in those 5 seconds.
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use defensive stance to reflect spell based projectile cc. You can also fight fire with fire and use mass hysteria, it's unblockable and cheesey but it works. Try to avoid things like wrecking blow by moving out of their los, you can dodge roll through players and being behind them drops los some times. I stopped playing for a while I don't know what they did to block but it seems like the larger the damage number the more stam you lose. Any time I try to block wrecking blow I lose about 1/4 of my stam. So getting out of the way seems to be a better solution. I do agree however the cc needs to be more limited as it's getting out of control.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Nah it's just that detection potions have a 40 second duration with 45 second cooldown. You'll never hide from me unless you get extremely lucky in those 5 seconds.

/START RANT (not directed toward anyone here, I appreciate the tips, lol)

Cloak NEEDS to trump Detection pots or at least be reduced to 10 seconds... Like c'mon... NB's are the ONLY class without a self heal OR damage shield, ALL we have defensively is cloak and it has a hard counter that has a FOURTY SECOND duration! Like WTF are NBs supposed to do defensively? I guess quit the game like most NBs have, or re roll another class... (I rarely see any NBs in Cyrodiil).

\END RANT
    Edited by akray21 on 2 April 2015 16:08
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

/START RANT (not directed toward anyone here, I appreciate the tips, lol)

Cloak NEEDS to trump Detection pots or at least be reduced to 10 seconds... Like c'mon... NB's are the ONLY class without a self heal OR damage shield, ALL we have defensively is cloak and it has a hard counter that has a FOURTY SECOND duration! Like WTF are NBs supposed to do defensively? I guess quit the game like most NBs have, or re roll another class... (I rarely see any NBs in Cyrodiil).

\END RANT

I agree as someone who don't evne have a Nightblade toon, the fact detect pots work on Cloak is absolute BS.

the only skill that should be able to see a Cloak user is Radiant Magelight, and it has ony a 12m raduis...Detect pots should not work on Cloak or invisible users, only on standard stealth users, and their range and duration needs to be reduced significantly.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woodsro wrote: »
    I agree as someone who don't evne have a Nightblade toon, the fact detect pots work on Cloak is absolute BS.

the only skill that should be able to see a Cloak user is Radiant Magelight, and it has ony a 12m raduis...Detect pots should not work on Cloak or invisible users, only on standard stealth users, and their range and duration needs to be reduced significantly.

I agree that magelight should be able to detect invisible players, but nothing else.

Maybe they need to make Dark Cloak remove all negative effects instead of just DoTs. I don't know if that would be too OP though.
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shuffle does not protect against Talons.

Read the tooltip: it says only snares, not roots.

The confusion here is because in the original patch 1.6 notes, it said shuffle would protect against roots an snares. Sometime during the process of producing the last few updates, the root portion got left out.

We tried to get an answer from ZOS to this discrepancy, but I'm not sure if anyone ever did. As it stands, if the tooltip is correct, Shuffle does nothing against Talons.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if in medium armor, get shuffle. it will help.

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

/START RANT I guess quit the game like most NBs have, or re roll another class... (I rarely see any NBs in Cyrodiil).

\END RANT

I guess all those Lethal Arrows that kill me so much must be from the dreaded Bow-Sorcs....

seriously though if you're having issues with break-free and not enough stamina consider switching drink. If you're a NB there is no excuse for you to be running food and not drink, you get far too many multiplicative regen effects that make the 374 Stamina regen from drink closer to 600.

With 1200+ Stamina regen and triple stam-cost reduction I can break free every 8 seconds and still have enough stamina to dodge roll when needed, block when needed and use defensive posture all the time.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

/START RANT I guess quit the game like most NBs have, or re roll another class... (I rarely see any NBs in Cyrodiil).

\END RANT

I guess all those Lethal Arrows that kill me so much must be from the dreaded Bow-Sorcs....

seriously though if you're having issues with break-free and not enough stamina consider switching drink. If you're a NB there is no excuse for you to be running food and not drink, you get far too many multiplicative regen effects that make the 374 Stamina regen from drink closer to 600.

With 1200+ Stamina regen and triple stam-cost reduction I can break free every 8 seconds and still have enough stamina to dodge roll when needed, block when needed and use defensive posture all the time.

Not to hijack the post, but did you ever stop to think why every NB is spamming lethal arrow? NB are free AP if a fight last more than about 5 seconds against a sorc (they are the only class that cannot naturally trade resources in order to extended a fight; i.e. shields or instant heals).

Lethal arrow gives these guys a chance to engage, then break contact if needed. It isn't your fault that sorcs have an awesome crit resistance shield, but it isn't the NBs fault they are forced to rely a skill that keeps them at range, isn't required to be block cast, and gives them the chance of getting away if the sorc turns on them. We both know that if you see a stamina NB he is free chicken... My VR3 sorc facerolls them 2 at a time...

I know you rage about lethal arrow all the time, but a little perspective might help you understand why it is always killing u. Until NB gain a skill that allows them to instantly mitigate damage or heal through damage (i.e. exchanging resources for health) they will be forced into 5-7 second fights (therefore, everything they do is tailored to either running away or maximizing burst). Your next post should be to give NBs one of these skills... then reduce the overall damage of WB/snipe in the name of balancing the game... all of this is my opinion and clearly not adopted by ZOS.

• akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

\END RANT

Well, again, as a magicka based player I am not going to spend points into stamina. Being a NB and a Bosmer I already have 807 stamina regen, that's good for a magicka player.

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

\END RANT

Not to hijack the post, but did you ever stop to think why every NB is spamming lethal arrow? NB are free AP if a fight last more than about 5 seconds against a sorc (they are the only class that cannot naturally trade resources in order to extended a fight; i.e. shields or instant heals).

Lethal arrow gives these guys a chance to engage, then break contact if needed. It isn't your fault that sorcs have an awesome crit resistance shield, but it isn't the NBs fault they are forced to rely a skill that keeps them at range, isn't required to be block cast, and gives them the chance of getting away if the sorc turns on them. We both know that if you see a stamina NB he is free chicken... My VR3 sorc facerolls them 2 at a time...

I know you rage about lethal arrow all the time, but a little perspective might help you understand why it is always killing u. Until NB gain a skill that allows them to instantly mitigate damage or heal through damage (i.e. exchanging resources for health) they will be forced into 5-7 second fights (therefore, everything they do is tailored to either running away or maximizing burst). Your next post should be to give NBs one of these skills... then reduce the overall damage of WB/snipe in the name of balancing the game... all of this is my opinion and clearly not adopted by ZOS.

I'm not raging about Lethal Arrow at all. I'm fine with it with the exception of the Health Desync bug it creates sometimes (I only had it happen to me once last night amazingly).

I understand your point of view, but I'd say those same NBs chose to play with a stealth "sniper" style. I also know many DKs who are also doing this and are just as if not more effective at it. My only counter to those people is to charge them and lay waste to them as to ignore them is to die.

The nightblades I have the most problems with are the ones who run Healing Ward. If I were fighting a Night blade without healing ward and only my hardened ward I would die all the time and it is the *only* reason I use a resto staff. I'd much rather destro and have the OP ability crushing shock.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

\END RANT

Well, again, as a magicka based player I am not going to spend points into stamina. Being a NB and a Bosmer I already have 807 stamina regen, that's good for a magicka player.

807 stamina regen isn't very good at all even for a magicka player, especially considering your a Bosmer NB. You have 51% bonus without even trying to your Stamina regen, more if you are a werewolf or vamp. Why wouldn't you want to spend a bit more on stamina regen so you can take advantage of that?
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    807 stamina regen isn't very good at all even for a magicka player

lies! my regens are about 550m 550h 1050s as a 5 heavy stam nord dk... i do well enough to be an "august palatine" AR37 and send sorcs bolting halfway to brindle... if you pay attention to your resources, use potions, and avoid spamming... you'll do fine... being CC locked is another problem entirely, doesn't matter if you have 9000 stam regen, you still die

anyway the moral of the story is actually that racial balance is awful, infinite resource builds are awful, the amount of CC in pvp is the opposite of fun, WTB race change and soft caps
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xylena wrote: »

lies! my regens are about 550m 550h 1050s as a 5 heavy stam nord dk... i do well enough to be an "august palatine" AR37 and send sorcs bolting halfway to brindle... if you pay attention to your resources, use potions, and avoid spamming... you'll do fine... being CC locked is another problem entirely, doesn't matter if you have 9000 stam regen, you still die

anyway the moral of the story is actually that racial balance is awful, infinite resource builds are awful, the amount of CC in pvp is the opposite of fun, WTB race change and soft caps

Yeah, how is over 800 low for a magicka user? Man, sometimes it feels like some people have the ability to stack double the stat sheet than I do. I'm at 750ish and thought I was doing ok on my Templar. I do need to invest in some tri-pots though. So broke.
    Edited by technohic on 3 April 2015 05:03
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, how is over 800 low for a magicka user? Man, sometimes it feels like some people have the ability to stack double the stat sheet than I do. I'm at 750ish and thought I was doing ok on my Templar. I do need to invest in some tri-pots though. So broke.

I feel that exact same way... I don't see how people can get stats so high on everything. I mean I have full legendary gear, all sets that compliment my play style, all with legendary glyphs. I still feel like my stats are WAY lower than other people and I have no idea why.
    Edited by akray21 on 3 April 2015 13:06
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You have different forms of resource generation as you're a DK (ults refil stats) and are heavy armor specced so you're naturally a target a sorc isn't going to typically have any easy time with.

A magicka user really can't rely on those things. Either way you have 1000 stamina regen which allows you to break free when you want. The difference between 800 and 1000 is often the difference between life and death as factored in over a 30 second fight that is an extra break free (which the OP said was killing him). Stamina management is by far the most important for a magicka user.

Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • vichoi
    vichoi
    ✭✭✭

\END RANT

Damage shields are now taking critical damge after 1.6, and they're always take full damage because resistance do not apply on wards.

I agree that detection potion is too powerful vs NB, hope they'll fix it, however, NB still have fear, which is unblockable, and can always re-apply, so you can perm CC a sorc if they don't break, if they break it they'll be out of stam = dead sorc. Also fear is bugged now, 50% of time I'll fall over the world by fear and send back home.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vichoi wrote: »
    I agree that detection potion is too powerful vs NB, hope they'll fix it, however, NB still have fear, which is unblockable, and can always re-apply, so you can perm CC a sorc if they don't break, if they break it they'll be out of stam = dead sorc. Also fear is bugged now, 50% of time I'll fall over the world by fear and send back home.

Problem is they break it then bolt away, so that doesn't work

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if you see the breakfree animation start your ambush, if you do not possess sloth reflexes or heaving massive lag enabling him to cast a second one you will be just on top of him again with him beeing defenseless.
    Edited by Tankqull on 4 April 2015 17:59
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

if you see the breakfree animation start your ambush, if you do not possess sloth reflexes or heaving massive lag enabling him to cast a second one you will be just on top of him again with him beeing defenseless.

1. the lag is real
    2. I'm magicka based and don't take the newly STAMINA morph of ambush. Lotus fan is worthless as well, so I don't even slot this skill anymore.