Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

late-2011 MacBook Pro - ESO Mac Client no audio (repair does not fix)

• ShoudenKalferas
    I did receive another email from ESO support today. They asked me to try muting & unmuting. They also asked me to try plugging in a pair of headphones and then unplugging them to see if that would fix it. Despite my pessimistic thoughts, I diligently tried both and continued to experience the same issue.

So then I remembered that I have an extra USB audio device that I'm not using at the moment. I got curious and hooked that up to my MacBook Pro and then set the default playback device to the USB audio device. I tested YouTube and it correctly is sent to the external audio device. I then test ESO and find I am experiencing the same issue even with this other sound device.

So it seems that it doesn't matter what audio device I'm using, I experience the same issue. That tidbit should help some developer narrow down the possibilities a tiny bit further.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No change after today's patch.
    No technical changes in the patch. Should be some next week but not sure if anything on this.
    Last thing I heard they are thinking to check via the compatibility testing between Mac & PC to see if there any clues and a few other possibilities.
    Options
  • buffbeans
    buffbeans
    I'm not sure how it would be a file path thing either. I currently have it installed both on my main drive in the default recommended location (applications\Zenimax Online) and on my external hard drive. If it's looking for a default file path on the main drive, the files are still there when I launch from the external drive. such a strange thing to happen
    Options
  • jsmirnoff77b14_ESO
    By the way, I just got a response over e-mail that says at this time ESO MUST be installed on the same drive/partition as the OS, and then can be moved elsewhere. So that may be what we have to deal with at this time. :( Pretty ridiculous, considering it's a 60 GB requirement. For a SSD that is 250 GB total, that's asking A LOT.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, I just got a response over e-mail that says at this time ESO MUST be installed on the same drive/partition as the OS, and then can be moved elsewhere. So that may be what we have to deal with at this time. :( Pretty ridiculous, considering it's a 60 GB requirement. For a SSD that is 250 GB total, that's asking A LOT.
    No different from the PC client for the install. The advice has been there for a while on the ESO Support kb article;
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE INSTALLATION DIRECTORY ON MAC?
    Updated 03/28/2014 02:05 AM Published 02/13/2014 09:24 AM

The early Mac version of the client installer did not allow players to install the game on other volumes or directories. As we move forward, we plan on providing this functionality within the installer and allowing players to install the game on other volumes and directories.

In the interim, players who wish to install the game in another directory may do so by copying or moving the installation folder from the default location to the location of their choice. Regardless of the file location, players should make sure to use the Game Launcher located at (/Applications/ZeniMax Online/Launcher.app) to run the game.
    I think the actual details in practice may need more information but the principle is there.
    Options
  • ShoudenKalferas
    I received another reply from customer service regarding my incident last night. They asked me to try logging out of my machine and then logging back in. *rolls eyes*

"This issue is normally caused by ghost launchers running in the background of your Mac."
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did receive another email from ESO support today. They asked me to try muting & unmuting. They also asked me to try plugging in a pair of headphones and then unplugging them to see if that would fix it. Despite my pessimistic thoughts, I diligently tried both and continued to experience the same issue.

So then I remembered that I have an extra USB audio device that I'm not using at the moment. I got curious and hooked that up to my MacBook Pro and then set the default playback device to the USB audio device. I tested YouTube and it correctly is sent to the external audio device. I then test ESO and find I am experiencing the same issue even with this other sound device.

So it seems that it doesn't matter what audio device I'm using, I experience the same issue. That tidbit should help some developer narrow down the possibilities a tiny bit further.
    Thanks for the detail @ShoudenKalferas. There was no fixes in this latest patch related to audio. It's still on the list.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I received another reply from customer service regarding my incident last night. They asked me to try logging out of my machine and then logging back in. *rolls eyes*

"This issue is normally caused by ghost launchers running in the background of your Mac."
    Sometimes I wonder... The only background process I find is if the eso process crashes it tends to leave the Awsomium process running in the background. It doesn't seem to duplicate though and if launched uses the existing one I think. Not properly tested.
    Options
  • jsmirnoff77b14_ESO
    So, the Launcher is 25 GB or so... I have enough room on the main drive for that. Can I just move it there? I think I tried that, moving it directly to Application folder, but then I ran it and it tries to download the game again? I am not sure of the folder structure. Is the game IN the launcher? What is The Elder Scrolls Online folder? It has mac client directory, an en_vo (which is audio I think), and a depot... Does THAT have to sit in Applications too? Also... Can I just move the client into Application folder, or do I have to create that Zenimax Online subdirectory first?
    Options
  • jsmirnoff77b14_ESO
    Yup. Tried moving Launcher from external drive to Applications on main drive. When launched from there the only option is to INSTALL and it asks to clear up 60 GB of room... How the hell do I move this game to the main drive without having to redownload everything?
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Tried moving Launcher from external drive to Applications on main drive. When launched from there the only option is to INSTALL and it asks to clear up 60 GB of room... How the hell do I move this game to the main drive without having to redownload everything?
    As has been posted before. You need to start the install process. Let it make the temporary folder and actually start the download (using bandwidth) then use the Cancel option. The use the Repair option to run the Verify of the installed folder. It will run through the process for each main part and maybe update some smaller elements. If no Repair option switch off Auto Update in Settings (drop down Game Options) quit and relaunch to see if it is available. Some times takes a few tries to get it to show.

Make sure you have the install folder backed up as it is possible it wipes the entire folder.

If you have the NA install then you can't just move the Launher and Elder Scrolls Online symlink )looks like an Alias but isn't) as it will just break. I suggest to use the ZOS_Install again to make the Zenimax Online folder on the default home drive, then replace the Launcher installed which your existing one and it should work. The Europe install is different with folders in that folder and it's just an Alias (yep, confusing)

Try that. Main thing is to run the Repair on the Install you moved.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, the Launcher is 25 GB or so... I have enough room on the main drive for that. Can I just move it there? I think I tried that, moving it directly to Application folder, but then I ran it and it tries to download the game again? I am not sure of the folder structure. Is the game IN the launcher? What is The Elder Scrolls Online folder? It has mac client directory, an en_vo (which is audio I think), and a depot... Does THAT have to sit in Applications too? Also... Can I just move the client into Application folder, or do I have to create that Zenimax Online subdirectory first?
    if it's NA Install all install goes into the actual Launcher which you can view when you Right Click on it and choose Show Package Contents. But you don't need to just replace the Launcher. See other post.

Options
  • jsmirnoff77b14_ESO
    AAAAAND... It worked!!! Essentially I freed up enough room and didn't end up moving anything over. Just a fresh install directly into the Applications folder of the main drive and the sound worked from the start... So it was definitely some sort of a pathing issue with the game being on the external drive. Thank you for the help.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    AAAAAND... It worked!!! Essentially I freed up enough room and didn't end up moving anything over. Just a fresh install directly into the Applications folder of the main drive and the sound worked from the start... So it was definitely some sort of a pathing issue with the game being on the external drive. Thank you for the help.
    Thanks for confirming this worked for you @jsmirnoff77b14_ESO. Glad you can enjoy the greats sounds in ESO ;)
    Options
  • mottone
    mottone
    Soul Shriven
    So there is no other way to enjoy the sound of the game without installing the game on the computers main hardrive???? Thats so silly. I don't have enough room to do that!
    Options