Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

late-2011 MacBook Pro - ESO Mac Client no audio (repair does not fix)

ShoudenKalferas
I have my primary hard drive split into two partitions for bootcamp. This enables me to boot to either Mac OS X (10.9.2) or Windows 7 Pro when I turn on my MacBook. I was a beta tester for five months and had the opportunity to play the game extensively prior to release. Prior to release, I was running the Windows client. But this means I have to reboot my Mac everytime I want to play ESO, which is a pain. I'd really like to run the Mac client under Mac OS X. Under Mac OS X, I used the DVD's to install the game directly onto the main hard drive and then used the Launcher to patch it from there.

When I first Launch the game, it shows the various companies who contributed to ESO along with sound effects. I can hear that just fine. When the cinematic trailer plays, I can also hear that audio just fine. But once I select a character and log in to the game, I no longer have any audio. I've researched this as best as I can and it seems that there are a group of people with the same symptoms as I do. However, in those cases they found that repairing the game client fixes the issue for most people. So I open my game launcher and click 'game options' underneath News. And I select repair. It verifies the entire game, and finds there is no data to re-download and then offers me the ability to launch the game and play. I launch the game and find the same issue: no audio in-game.

At this point, I've taken the following steps to try to resolve this:
  • I've repaired my game about five times now, to no avail.
  • I've tried using the 'X' to reset the audio options to default, while in-game
  • I've cleanly rebooted my MacBook Pro.
  • I've tried going into Documents/Elder Scrolls Online and renaming the live folder, then launching the game and logging in to have it recreate the file that stores the game settings.
  • I've also tried going to the Applications/Zenimax Online/Elder Scrolls Online directory and renaming the 'vo_en' directory that contains all of the audio data files, then running a repair in the game launcher. This causes about a 5GB download or so, but the game still acts the same way
  • I've spent 2hrs on-hold one night and 3hrs on-hold another night waiting for phone support to answer. Neither time I was able to get a representative on the phone.
  • I've submitted two different 'Ask for Help by Phone' incident requests and only 24hrs after I submitted them did I finally receive an initial reply. I have not received a further reply in either one. Each reply that I received, I found the response was rather unhelpful. In one, I specifically stated that I had already repaired and it did not correct the issue. So their response to this was asking me to run a repair. I immediately replied to the email, but its been 48hrs on either incident since they last responded. On the other incident, they asked me to install the newest patches via the game launcher which had been pushed out prior to me filing the incident request.
  • I've compared the exact number of bytes of the files in the vo_en directory on both my Windows and Mac client and the files in this directory are the sam sizes..
  • I've compared md5 file checksum of files in the vo_en directory on both my Windows and Mac OS X ESO clients -- These files are identical and are not corrupt.
  • While I'm in-game, I hit Fn-F12 (Volume Up) -- and I can hear the beep sound of it registering my volume up (and the sound effect gets louder as the volume increases). This shows my audio device is functioning properly.
  • I can Command-Tab out of the game and pull up a browser window to Youtube and am able to play a video and the sound works fine.
  • I've scoured the forums here using the search option, reading every thread I can find that sounds similar to my issue.
  • I've scoured Google as best as I can looking for any 3rd party mention of my issue and a fix beyond simply repairing.

There is absolutely no audio being generated once I get to the character selection screen or after I login to the server. It is a very quiet world with no audio. :)

It may be worth mentioning that previous to this issue, I had Soundflower and AU Labs installed on my Mac. I used these pieces of software for recording audio that the audio device is playing. I was able to uninstall and remove Soundflower, but I do not see any obvious method of uninstalling the AU Labs software. I don't see any reason why it would conflict with this, but these two pieces of software are/were the only non-standard pieces of my configuration when it comes to audio.

Again, I don't think it matters but want to mention it in case someone else may be able to draw a correlation -- I did swap out the normal hard drive in my Mac and swap it for a solid state drive. I have not encountered any issues with this configuration and have been using it for over a year. I had read in other threads that installing ESO onto a secondary drive can cause problems with the audio requiring you to reinstall or move the game to the primary drive to fix.

Its interesting to note that if you Command-M while in-game to go to a windowed screen and then check the Elder Scrolls Online >> About Elder Scrolls Online menu at the top, it says that the "Mac version by Chris Dillon". Interesting that it would only show one individual like that. I'm hoping he has a small army of coders working for him as if it is just one person maintaining the Mac Client, it means slower patches/fixes for our various issues.

With the terrible support that they are providing via email and phone, I feel I'm not left with any options here other than to post on the support forums and hope someone else may have a useful suggestion that might help me find a fix for this. Or maybe just raise awareness that this problem exists, in a public manner. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone can offer that I could try in addition to what I've outlined above.
Edited by ShoudenKalferas on 10 April 2014 23:22
  • jsmirnoff77b14_ESO
    I am using a MacBook Air and have an identical issue. It's quite frustrating.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ShoudenKalferas That's a very comprehensive description and detail of everything you have tried which is really helpful not to repeat suggestions.

Having read through it the obvious question is, have you bitten the bullet and done a fresh download?

I have used copies of copies from Mac & PC Bootcamp in a similar way and would have already but for slow download. I don't have an audio issue but as Repair is not working it's what I would do at this stage.

Also, have you checked the permissions of the ESO folders/ files especially in vo_en folder and contents which holds all the audio data from what I can tell (for game)

The reason you can hear the splashscreen audio and cinematic is thay are held in the depot folder instead:
    /Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online EU/depot/Video
    Which again tends to point to some issue in vo_en folder.

Incidentally a fresh install of the NA install will currently go into the actual Launcher, not create the other folders as before. The EU install stills does (i.e. creating a new The Elder Scrolls Online folder in Zenimax Online folder)

Can you also just check the UserSettings.txt file to confirm that the sound settings are as they should be.
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt

SET SOUND_ENABLED "1"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_VOLUME "50.00000000"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_ENABLED "1"
    SET SPEAKER_SETUP "0"
    SET BACKGROUND_AUDIO "1"
    SET VO_VOLUME "100.00000000"
    SET VO_ENABLED "1"
    SET UI_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET UI_ENABLED "1"
    SET AMBIENT_VOLUME "100.00000000"
    SET AMBIENT_ENABLED "1"
    SET SFX_VOLUME "100.00000000"
    SET SFX_ENABLED "1"
    SET MUSIC_VOLUME "50.00000000"
    SET MUSIC_ENABLED "1"
    SET AUDIO_VOLUME "100.00000000"
    SET AUDIO_ENABLED "1"

Edited by Moonraker on 9 April 2014 23:35
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you also post a screenshot for these two:

System Preferences > Sound > Output

Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Built-in-Output

Example of mine attached.
    It may be worth mentioning that previous to this issue, I had Soundflower and AU Labs installed on my Mac. I used these pieces of software for recording audio that the audio device is playing. I was able to uninstall and remove Soundflower, but I do not see any obvious method of uninstalling the AU Labs software. I don't see any reason why it would conflict with this, but these two pieces of software are/were the only non-standard pieces of my configuration when it comes to audio.
    Really need to find a way to fully uninstall the AU Labs stuff. having other codecs or audio software could be the issue.
    When I first Launch the game, it shows the various companies who contributed to ESO along with sound effects. I can hear that just fine. When the cinematic trailer plays, I can also hear that audio just fine. But once I select a character and log in to the game, I no longer have any audio.
    Can you here the mood music at the Character selection screen (one with the game background)?
    Edited by Moonraker on 10 April 2014 02:20
  • ShoudenKalferas
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I had considered a full reinstall, but I have not yet taken it to that extreme. I'll go ahead and start that process now in hopes that fixes the issue for this evening.

I have checked the permissions on both the vo_en folder as well as the files within it and all are read & write for everyone.

It's worth noting that I have NOT copied the game install between operating systems. I did two separate installs. However, my Windows ESO install is based off of a beta client. My Mac OS X install is based off the DVDs.

I have also checked the UserSettings.txt and all items are the same as your post, except some of my volume settings were at the default 70. Bumping them up to 100 does not make a difference.

I'll dig around tonight further and see if I can come up with a way to uninstall the AU Labs software.

I cannot hear any background music at the character select screen.

As requested, here are the two screenshots:
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll dig around tonight further and see if I can come up with a way to uninstall the AU Labs software.

I cannot hear any background music at the character select screen.

As requested, here are the two screenshots:
    OK so it's eliminating a lot of things now.

I guess you wouldn't just wanted to check. The sound before is via Bink for the videos etc. So separate sound output. It's the in game sound itself that is not working.

Other thing to try is to make a test new User account on your Mac and try it with that.

Good luck with uninstalling the audio software, I think that's the last unknown that is obvious.
    Edited by Moonraker on 10 April 2014 21:01
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have attached a screenshot showing fully updated vo_en folder (same as on PC client) for EU install (think they will be the same but...) See if that matches yours exactly.

Also, do you have a space or a non standard character in your home folder name?

Do you have correct language (en if no other chosen) in Launcher options? And do you have the proper language text or different in game? Which language is it?

Is it a NA install or Europe?

Do you have the Mac connected to a TV used for display or anything else like that?
    SK1TZ0FR3N1K ✭✭✭
    April 1
    I actually had this problem the other day outside of ESO. I had sound on everything, but when I loaded up a game, the sound disappeared. What I learned made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it worked. My Samsung TV that I have connected to my PC as my monitor, has a standby feature. I was told to turn my TV off, then back on, and as soon as I did that, my sound was back on my game. Day 1 in ESO, it happened again, so I turned the TV on and off, and the sound reappeared. Not saying it will fix it for you, but doesn't hurt to try it.
    Let us know how the fresh install goes.
    Edited by Moonraker on 10 April 2014 22:26
  • ShoudenKalferas
    t9atlo9neurm.png
    Fresh download & install complete. Same result: no audio in-game (from character select screen forward through anytime while my character is logged in).

I checked the size of my vo_en folder on the Mac and Windows size. Both of mine are reporting 5,667,926,494 bytes, which is a little less than what you have.

My user account name does not have any spaces in it.
    Megaserver: North America
    Language: English

I do sometimes connect a secondary monitor to my MacBook Pro via the Thunderbolt connector. I haven't used it since this problem cropped up as I wanted to rule out any external factors. I'll try reproducing what the person with the Samsung TV experienced, but it sounds to me more like a fluke. :) But at this point I'll try anything and will report back.

I did find out that the AU Labs that I have installed comes from XCode, which is a developers software tool provided by Apple. I have some install instructions for XCode, so hopefully that takes care of AU Labs. I wasn't able to come up with a whole lot on uninstalling AU Labs specifically.
    Edited by ShoudenKalferas on 10 April 2014 23:00
  • ShoudenKalferas
    I tried uninstalling AU Lab again the normal way (dragging into Trash) and it finally allowed me to do that. When I was experiencing a problem with it before, I was trying to drag the icon out of a Dock shortcut that I had created previously. This time when it worked, I dragged the icon out of a Finder window. Not sure why that would matter, but it did uninstall AU Labs this time. I rebooted afterwards just for good measure. I'm sad to report though that did not seem to make a difference in the issue.

I also tried the Samsung TV trick previously posted and it also did not work. :(

For reference, please find the attached image showing my Mac's info and audio System Information.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    Just so that all information is laid on the table -- I did want to add that I did receive three email responses to my second incident request, just today. The first response, they asked me to repair (which I previously had already indicated to them I had done) -- this response also provided me instructions on how to check for the default playback device in Windows. (doh.) I thanked them for their attempt at helping, but reminded them I'm on a Mac (even though the subject line indicated the same). They responded back within 10 minutes and provided the same instructions for a Mac. They suggested I unplug my audio device and plug it back in. So I let them know that the only audio device on my laptop is the one that is built in to it. They admitted at that point that the problem was above their level and they said that my incident would be escalated to their manager.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ShoudenKalferas Sad to hear none of it helped resolve this. Was counting on a fresh install to do it.

My this is a painful one...

One thing I don't see in the responses was if you had tried making a new User and testing it via that account? It would help eliminate some more hidden problem from old installs or prefs etc in the normal account.

I brought it to the attention of the Mac development team and they are in contact with the sound programmer to try and work out why this is happening. They have & will check this thread, so at least you know it is not lost in the ether ;)

I admire you thoroughness and tenacity! If I hear anything or see anything else to suggest.

• ShoudenKalferas
    My apologies, I did indeed try creating a new user. I named it 'esotest' so there were no spaces. There was no change on that either.

I appreciate everything you've done to help and for raising awareness to it with the correct groups. Fortunately in my situation, I have a Windows Bootcamp partition to play from and the ESO client works great from there. Although, I'm sure there are bound to be other people out there with the same issue and no Windows-based alternative. :)

Thanks again and I would be happy to gather any other information or try any other suggestions that you or anyone else may come up with.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My apologies, I did indeed try creating a new user. I named it 'esotest' so there were no spaces. There was no change on that either.

I appreciate everything you've done to help and for raising awareness to it with the correct groups. Fortunately in my situation, I have a Windows Bootcamp partition to play from and the ESO client works great from there. Although, I'm sure there are bound to be other people out there with the same issue and no Windows-based alternative. :)

Thanks again and I would be happy to gather any other information or try any other suggestions that you or anyone else may come up with.
    Thanks for confirming the new account part. Hopefully they can find whatever the issue is that is effecting you.
  • buffbeans
    buffbeans
    wondering if there's any further updates on a fix for this? @ShoudenKalferas‌, I'm having a similar issue where in game audio only works when launched from the applications folder on my main drive. When I launch from where I initially chose to install on an external drive, i only get the audio for the opening credits but no game audio. seems to be happening to a few people
  • ShoudenKalferas
    I just received a reply via email on one of the two support incidents. They are asking me to run the Game Consultant via the About page within Game Launcher. They've also provided me a link to directly download the Game Consultant. Neither method seems to work for me. The direct download merely says the application is broken or damaged. The one from the Game Launcher at least appears on my screen. However, when I click to run the tests the progress bar quickly advances to about 50% and then does not proceed any further. I tried letting it sit for 30 minutes and it never completed the tests.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just received a reply via email on one of the two support incidents. They are asking me to run the Game Consultant via the About page within Game Launcher. They've also provided me a link to directly download the Game Consultant. Neither method seems to work for me. The direct download merely says the application is broken or damaged. The one from the Game Launcher at least appears on my screen. However, when I click to run the tests the progress bar quickly advances to about 50% and then does not proceed any further. I tried letting it sit for 30 minutes and it never completed the tests.
    The broken or damaged message is because it doesn't include an Apple developer certificate and Gatekeeper will show this error. Switch Gatekeeper to Anywhere should resolve that. Apple support article explaining how it works. But it should not be necessary to download it again as it's already included in the Launcher.

When you run the Game Consultant is gathers some system details and also checks network connection to some ZOS data sites (actually in the Mac client these are Akamai or other CDN digital distribution sites)

If it fails to connect to the IP address is will just keep checking for a long time as it seems to not have a time limit set (this was posted in another thread) time mentioned was 30 minutes.

Not sure why the ping/ traceroute is failing. I have it occasionally when testing it but mostly it will complete fairly quickly. If it does complete you have to click one of the buttons to open the report or open location. It's not obvious. Also while checking the Launcher is stalled.

TBH I can't see anything that will relate to the audio issue from the details as it does not include system information as the PC one does.

Try it again and if it continues to fail then just tell the support via the ticket.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    Moonraker wrote: »
    The broken or damaged message is because it doesn't include an Apple developer certificate and Gatekeeper will show this error. Switch Gatekeeper to Anywhere should resolve that.

I set my GateKeeper to Anywhere and tried the downloaded version again and this time it opened without issue. However, it encountered the same problem. Around 50% progress it just seemingly hangs.
    If it fails to connect to the IP address is will just keep checking for a long time as it seems to not have a time limit set (this was posted in another thread) time mentioned was 30 minutes.

Do you know what, or have a list of the IP addresses that the utility checks? I could try running traceroute/ping to each to try and pinpoint which one it is hanging up on.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The broken or damaged message is because it doesn't include an Apple developer certificate and Gatekeeper will show this error. Switch Gatekeeper to Anywhere should resolve that.

I set my GateKeeper to Anywhere and tried the downloaded version again and this time it opened without issue. However, it encountered the same problem. Around 50% progress it just seemingly hangs.

Do you know what, or have a list of the IP addresses that the utility checks? I could try running traceroute/ping to each to try and pinpoint which one it is hanging up on.
    Like I said not sure it will actually give them anything meaningful ;)

Well, the ip it pings seems to change as it is to the CDN like Akamai which is localised to your country probably. Here is the details of the ping on mine which is also used for the traceroute;

| PING |
    PING a1092.d.akamai.net (81.25.198.154): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 81.25.198.154: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=84.803 ms
    64 bytes from 81.25.198.154: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=86.032 ms
    64 bytes from 81.25.198.154: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=84.481 ms
    64 bytes from 81.25.198.154: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=84.948 ms

--- a1092.d.akamai.net ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 84.481/85.066/86.032/0.583 ms

| PING |
    PING a1213.g1.akamai.net (78.152.51.184): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 78.152.51.184: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=73.148 ms
    64 bytes from 78.152.51.184: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=74.226 ms
    64 bytes from 78.152.51.184: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=74.829 ms
    64 bytes from 78.152.51.184: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=75.039 ms

--- a1213.g1.akamai.net ping statistics ---
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 73.148/74.310/75.039/0.735 ms
    The constant seems to be:

a1092.d.akamai.net

1213.g1.akamai.net

I'm guessing a ZOS reference then the ip address changes depending on location.

just pining the first gives me another ip again from that GC report:

PING a1092.d.akamai.net (81.93.191.80)

These are same domains off other ones I have seen just varying ip.

• ShoudenKalferas
    Nothing to see there.. I'm able to ping to both. I tried the game consultant again to no avail. As before, the progress halts at about 50%.

> ping a1092.d.akamai.net
    PING a1092.d.akamai.net (23.62.111.17): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 23.62.111.17: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=27.508 ms
    64 bytes from 23.62.111.17: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=30.736 ms
    64 bytes from 23.62.111.17: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=28.630 ms
    64 bytes from 23.62.111.17: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=32.640 ms
    ^C
    --- a1092.d.akamai.net ping statistics ---
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 27.508/29.878/32.640/1.971 ms

> ping a1213.g1.akamai.net
    PING a1213.g1.akamai.net (69.31.21.16): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 69.31.21.16: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=27.293 ms
    64 bytes from 69.31.21.16: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=29.736 ms
    64 bytes from 69.31.21.16: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=27.542 ms
    ^C
    --- a1213.g1.akamai.net ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 27.293/28.190/29.736/1.098 ms

Although, as you mentioned, it may not prove to be very useful towards correcting the issue. But with that said though, I'd like to provide every piece of information asked, just in case it helps the process along so we can move on to other, more likely reasons why the problem exists. :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to see there.. I'm able to ping to both. I tried the game consultant again to no avail. As before, the progress halts at about 50%.

-snip-

Although, as you mentioned, it may not prove to be very useful towards correcting the issue. But with that said though, I'd like to provide every piece of information asked, just in case it helps the process along so we can move on to other, more likely reasons why the problem exists. :)
    Not sure why it stalls other than on the traceroute to last hop. It's not been look at for a while I think.

Hopefully they can provide some more solid advice.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    Wanted to drop a quick note in and report that after installing today's patch -- the audio problem continues. This patch did not fix the issue.
    Edited by ShoudenKalferas on 15 April 2014 22:46
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wanted to drop a quick note in and report that after installing today's patch -- the audio problem continues. This patch did not fix the issue.
    Thanks for reporting the news even if it's not what we want to hear.

I don't believe there was much changed in the clients this patch. The client and a few of the .dat files got updated but guessing related to the quest fixes etc. Hopefully there will be Mac specific content in the next patch.

Just one thing I wanted to alway clarify. Do you get game music at the Login screen when you first launch? I know you don't get it from Character screen on;
    Fresh download & install complete. Same result: no audio in-game (from character select screen forward through anytime while my character is logged in).
    Edited by Moonraker on 15 April 2014 23:08
  • buffbeans
    buffbeans
    if it's the same as mine, we get music with the opening credits, i guess you'd call them, silence thereafter with the exception of the opening cinematic
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    buffbeans wrote: »
    if it's the same as mine, we get music with the opening credits, i guess you'd call them, silence thereafter with the exception of the opening cinematic
    Thanks for confirming @ buffbeans. They are looking at the issue when it is installed on another partition or HD so hopefully that can be enabled when not on default drive. OP issue is his is on the default drive from what I understand.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    Thanks for confirming @ buffbeans. They are looking at the issue when it is installed on another partition or HD so hopefully that can be enabled when not on default drive. OP issue is his is on the default drive from what I understand.

I'll confirm your previous question later tonight. However, I do wonder whether both buffbeans's issue and my own are caused by the same underlying issue. Because I'm using bootcamp, my main hard drive is split into two partitions. The first partition being Mac OS X and the second for my Windows 7 install. I also have swapped out my optical drive and instead of a large SATA drive installed.

I'd guess most people DON'T have Windows 7 set up to run with bootcamp off a second partition.. In their configuration, they would have Mac OS X set up on the only partition on the primary drive. Most people would also only have one drive.

So perhaps the underlying issue is the detection of where the ESO client is storing the audio files. Perhaps it's getting confused when there are either two drives present or when there are more than one partition present???

I'm just guessing into the wind here. :) It just seems fishy that we'd have identical symptoms like this. The programmer side of me tells me there likely is a commonality, meaning both of the issues are one and the same.
  • dyoung522
    dyoung522
    For what it's worth... I swapped out my primary HD and optical drive and replaced them with twin SSD drives in a RAID0 array. No audio problems here (knocking on wood).

However, I don't use bootcamp so it still looks like one HD to the OS. But, at least we can infer it's not related to SSD.
  • dyoung522
    dyoung522
    Just for giggles... try changing your DNS settings to use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). There are some other issues related to the TTL of the ESO servers (mostly login issues), but that may allow the diagnostic tests to complete.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll confirm your previous question later tonight. However, I do wonder whether both buffbeans's issue and my own are caused by the same underlying issue. Because I'm using bootcamp, my main hard drive is split into two partitions. The first partition being Mac OS X and the second for my Windows 7 install. I also have swapped out my optical drive and instead of a large SATA drive installed.

I'd guess most people DON'T have Windows 7 set up to run with bootcamp off a second partition.. In their configuration, they would have Mac OS X set up on the only partition on the primary drive. Most people would also only have one drive.

So perhaps the underlying issue is the detection of where the ESO client is storing the audio files. Perhaps it's getting confused when there are either two drives present or when there are more than one partition present???

I'm just guessing into the wind here. :) It just seems fishy that we'd have identical symptoms like this. The programmer side of me tells me there likely is a commonality, meaning both of the issues are one and the same.
    I agree that it is most likely a common issue and that is path to audio files required. Why we were careful, to check if you did have it on another partition or drive etc. And it does remain the most obvious cause since we pretty much checked everything else at all possible.

However, I have the same as you i.e. a main Macintosh HD partition and an other for BOOTCAMP. I have ESO installed on both and play on both (testing/ comparison via Bootcamp) and have no problem at all with audio. So, why I didn't think anymore of it than that as you posted in the OP.

Just for interest, which partition do you have BOOTCAMP installed? I assume you used Boot Camp Assistant.

Here is mine in Disk Utility which is probably default with no name changes attached.

Is it in that order or is BOOTCAMP in first partition? Or is there anything else there?

I do think it is this path issue as it reflects all the other audio issues not fixed by the Repair or Repairs. I know the developer is aware and has been in discussion with the Sound Engineer on this particular issue so hopefully it will get sorted at some point.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    No music at the login screen or character selection screen.

I tried setting my DNS servers manually to 4.2.2.2 & 8.8.8.8. I tried it with either one as the primary in the list. Same result. No background music or in-game audio once I reach the account login screen.

Attached you can find my drive & partition layout. 'Partition' is my Mac OS X partition.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No music at the login screen or character selection screen.

I tried setting my DNS servers manually to 4.2.2.2 & 8.8.8.8. I tried it with either one as the primary in the list. Same result. No background music or in-game audio once I reach the account login screen.

Attached you can find my drive & partition layout. 'Partition' is my Mac OS X partition.
    OK, thanks for confirming. Partitions look OK. Just wanted to check BOOTCAMP was not in first for some reason.

DNS wil do nothing for this.
  • ShoudenKalferas
    No change after today's patch.