Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Which Elder Scrolls game is the best?

• aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Skyrim, because I mod for it and enjoy that as much as playing the game.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    ....Ones first experience is always the best.

So true.

Loved the UI, the haggling/persuasion, the lock picking, the setting. So much more. Dark Brotherhood was strong, the guild quests are awesome. Glass weapons make the game so unique. Hated the oblivion gates but the painting stand quest, OMG. Arena was amazing too, and somehow I have this feeling that Oblivion is more alive than Skyrim in so many ways.

I can never forget the guy in the prison, "Here kitty kitty.."
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim
    Close for me between Oblivion and Skyrim, but chose Skyrim.

I tried to play Morrowind once, but after Oblivion it was just to slow, twenty minutes of running along a road before I found anything, um no thanks.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind. That was the stuff. Such a HUGE game, all of the factions. It was really ahead of its time in so many ways, i still play it today :D
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind

I tried to play Morrowind once, but after Oblivion it was just to slow, twenty minutes of running along a road before I found anything, um no thanks.

well it did have a travel system in place of silt striders, boats, teleportation spells and mages guild portals.

but it did encourage new players to simply explore the world.

I suppose I can see why some players wouldn't like this, but for me it was one of the biggest draws of the game.

although the temple quest to walk the entire length of morrowind did take it a step to far for my taste... mark > recall FTW :p
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim
    Shiaxi wrote: »

well it did have a travel system in place of silt striders, boats, teleportation spells and mages guild portals.

but it did encourage new players to simply explore the world.

I suppose I can see why some players wouldn't like this, but for me it was one of the biggest draws of the game.

although the temple quest to walk the entire length of morrowind did take it a step to far for my taste... mark > recall FTW :p
    Sorry didn't get that far in, it sounds like if I had played it before Oblivion I would have loved it (from a great many sources), but I didn't, sorry.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • merwanoreb17_ESO
    Skyrim
    I am mixed between Skyrim and Morrowind. In itself, Morrowind is a much better game because it has a much better sense of exploration that rewards you. For instance, there is more gear and items placed around in the world. For instance there is only one complete set of deadric armor in the whole game, and you have to find all the pieces. Level scaling is not a good thing and ruins the joy of finding good loot early on, or enemies that are just way to strong for you, which gives you a reason to return later and kick its ass.

But Skyrim has better combat, graphics, voice acting, it is more epic. It is more about the quests and less about the loot and treasure. There are some items here and there, and thanks to mods, many of these items have gotten some unique models and textures, but there is a lack of unique stuff in the game that is not attained by some quest.

Skyrim is to me, what Oblivion should have been. As it was totally ruined by the level scaling system. Bandits in full Glass or Ebony armor was so freaking stupid.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    For instance, there is more gear and items placed around in the world. For instance there is only one complete set of deadric armor in the whole game, and you have to find all the pieces.

hmm wasn't there a pauldron missing of the "complete" set of daedric armor?

Not sure, I didn't wear heavy armor; was light or medium all the way

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind.

I started in Arena and played them but didn't really *click* with the games until Morrowind came out .... although Daggerfall was mahoosive.

Walking along and a mage falling out of the sky, stuff like that just made it fantastic.

The combat was a bit annoying but it improved when you levelled up.
  • MissKiwiana
    MissKiwiana
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Skyrim was the only one I played in this list. I bought some of the others but graphics wise for me they were awful.

Enjoyed Skyrim for 5 minutes,it never really held my interest to be honest. I never got into lore or understanding my character at all.. not like I do now. I just love a gigantic world I can get lost in.

I ran off to play WoW for the next few years.

Coming from playing Yahoo games and Pogo this was a huge change for me.
    PC Platform all the way! Windows 10.
    Guilds I belong to: Lone Wolf Help & The Conclave of Shadows.
  • rusila22
    rusila22
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind i feel so nostalgic, everything was perfect, the storyline,the gameplay and.. the music was so beautiful !

Morrowind theme enjoy :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM&hd=1
    Rusila CP :600
    Title : Monster Hunter
    Currently : Beta Tester in Morrowind
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    For instance, there is more gear and items placed around in the world. For instance there is only one complete set of deadric armor in the whole game, and you have to find all the pieces.

Both pauldrons were missing. Daveth Fyr (I think) wore a complete set, sans helmet, but he was also a critical part of the main quest. If you weren't willing to kill him, there were gauntlets, a cuiriass, greaves and boots, but you had to wait for Tribunal and Bloodmoon to get the pauldrons, one in each.

There were also... I think, three different helmets.
  • MissKiwiana
    MissKiwiana
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    rusila22 wrote: »
    Morrowind i feel so nostalgic, everything was perfect, the storyline,the gameplay and.. the music was so beautiful !

Morrowind theme enjoy :)

Only reason I have the sound on in this game is I absolutely am loving the music. "sits in the pubs/kitchens in game so I can listen to the singers,LOL"
    I think the music is beautiful.

PC Platform all the way! Windows 10.
    Guilds I belong to: Lone Wolf Help & The Conclave of Shadows.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind

Both pauldrons were missing. Daveth Fyr (I think) wore a complete set, sans helmet, but he was also a critical part of the main quest. If you weren't willing to kill him, there were gauntlets, a cuiriass, greaves and boots, but you had to wait for Tribunal and Bloodmoon to get the pauldrons, one in each.

heh.. or.. you know.. player.giveitem :p

edit: oh wrong syntax for morrowind console... ah well you get the gist :D

godz I know I'm going to reinstall morrowind again this evening with the community overhaul

@rusila22‌

that's your fault.. played the morrowind them on my headset.. epic...
    Edited by Shiaxi on 21 May 2014 10:11
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

heh.. or.. you know.. player.giveitem :p

Yeah... that's the only way I ever saw Daedric in Morrowind. I don't think I ever had Daedric armor legitimately in a game until Skyrim.
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    I'm going with Oblivion here. Sure the graphics are dated but it had an excellent main story and I had so much fun going through the oblivion gates.

I love ESO too, having a lot of fun. I just wish I could make a sexy dark elf female. Ugh, I like my female characters to be eye candy for my male gaming buds and I just can't do it. Going to give it one more try tonight.
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Online because i only played oblivion a looong time ago and i cant remember anything.
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    All of the above choices; for they ALL have their pros and cons, besides, anything and EVERYTHING that is Elder Scrolls is AWESOME!!!

#Everything(E.S).IzAwesome!!
    Edited by Gwarok on 21 May 2014 10:20
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    morrowind Obviously

morrowind was the best elderscroll single player game not only in elderscrolls but global in all the world in all single player games ever made. they even won awards for it 3 times over!
  • Ruddertail
    Ruddertail
    ✭✭✭
    It's either Online or Morrowind. Daggerfall and earlier were too randomized, Oblivion was entirely forgettable, and while Skyrim was fantastic I find myself enjoying Online more. Whether or not it compares to Morrowind I can't judge until some further patching.
  • rotiferuk
    rotiferuk
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind because of its atmosphere, cliff racer attacks, being able to levitate, the soundtrack, the weirdness of its landscapes, and its game-play. The GOTY edition was the first ES game I played.
    EU Server.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    rotiferuk wrote: »
    Morrowind because of its atmosphere, cliff racer attacks, being able to levitate, the soundtrack, the weirdness of its landscapes, and its game-play. The GOTY edition was the first ES game I played.

Most people don't actually cite the cliff racers as a good thing.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion because the spellmaking and enchanting system was amazing. Enchanting in Morrowind was too hard to do yourself without a mod and too expensive to have npcs do it. (100,000g for an enchant? really?) I did love the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind lol. I love all of the games, though I couldn't really get into Arena (Daggefall's game play is much better).

Ah, someone who played Daggerfall.

I have Anthology, and my version of Arena and Daggerfall are both in their original states, apparently (unfortunately). This means I can't use the ini file cheat with Daggerfall for godmode.

Ok, so I walk out of the cell and explore around, and grab that one sword that's available (I never found anything else). I learned really quick not to go into the basement, because there's some heavy armour dude who three-shots my face. So I go upstairs, to beat the guy behind the table to open the door to the stairs. So I can beat him, but at a health cost to myself.

My health is so low (and apparently does not regenerate?) I can't beat the ghosts or whatever they are on the outside stairs. That's as far as I got. No food or potions. I did try resting! But when I woke up, heavy armour guy was there and three shotted my face again.

I'm stuck! 30 seconds into the game, and I'm stuck good. :( Please tell me, did I miss something I should have found and need to do this?

I'm afraid to try Arena .... :O

As for voting, I guess Online, because I _CAN_ play it without cheats, woo, go, me.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 21 May 2014 10:43
  • Norrønt_Språk
    Morrowind
    1st - Morrowind
    2nd - Oblivion
    3rd. ... nothing
    4th - Skyrim (too "casualized", castrated nsc guilds - a guy who can't magic, can to become the boss of the mages? i must not search for the thieves guild, they find me. ...ok...and so on...)
    5th - Daggerfall aka Buggerfall ^^
    6th - Arena

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impossible to give a conclusive answer - they're all "best", but in various areas.
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    morrowind had the best lore/storyline, oblivion was the most fun and skyrim had the best gameplay/graphics
    stam scrub
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Oblivion because the spellmaking and enchanting system was amazing. Enchanting in Morrowind was too hard to do yourself without a mod and too expensive to have npcs do it. (100,000g for an enchant? really?) I did love the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind lol. I love all of the games, though I couldn't really get into Arena (Daggefall's game play is much better).

Ah, someone who played Daggerfall.

I have Anthology, and my version of Arena and Daggerfall are both in their original states, apparently (unfortunately). This means I can't use the ini file cheat with Daggerfall for godmode.

Ok, so I walk out of the cell and explore around, and grab that one sword that's available (I never found anything else). I learned really quick not to go into the basement, because there's some heavy armour dude who three-shots my face. So I go upstairs, to beat the guy behind the table to open the door to the stairs. So I can beat him, but at a health cost to myself.

My health is so low (and apparently does not regenerate?) I can't beat the ghosts or whatever they are on the outside stairs. That's as far as I got. No food or potions. I did try resting! But when I woke up, heavy armour guy was there and three shotted my face again.

I'm stuck! 30 seconds into the game, and I'm stuck good. :( Please tell me, did I miss something I should have found and need to do this?

I'm afraid to try Arena .... :O

As for voting, I guess Online, because I _CAN_ play it without cheats, woo, go, me.

It's been a long time, but my recollection is Arena and Daggerfall are both incredibly brutal starting out. Morrowind at least offers you a, "not in the face, not in the face! Oh please, gods, not in the face!" option, with the silt strider network, and some gold after you're let out of prison.

Oblivion was the first game you could play easily, as I recall.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh shadowrun returns is awesome.. or well.. the dragonfall expansion is awesome; the original was good.. but a bit.. lackluster

Mmm. Shadowrun. I'm thinking here of the tabletop RPG .... good game and backstory, but I wish they'd put out a new Earthdawn game of ANY sort; I really liked that one (same universe as Shadowrun, but set in the distant, mythical past. The magic is diminishing, rather than growing, and people are just coming out of their mountain strongholds to face whatever Horrors might still be around. Yeah, the future of Shadowrun is bleak; once that magical field gets strong enough .. never mind the mutants. ) We had a good GM for Earthdawn, and he really knew how to put the creepy fears into his players.

One guy stopped to have a drink in a river while the party was resting and we were deciding our next move. Turns out the water was .. infested .. with .. very small Horrors, micro-Horrors. Three days later, my character got to witness him being literally torn apart for no apparent reason. In a marketplace.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    1st - Morrowind
    4th - Skyrim (too "casualized", castrated nsc guilds - a guy who can't magic, can to become the boss of the mages? i must not search for the thieves guild, they find me. ...ok...and so on...)

the castrated npc guilds is actually also true for oblivion...
    I really missed the skill requirements of morrowind :(
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    oh shadowrun returns is awesome.. or well.. the dragonfall expansion is awesome; the original was good.. but a bit.. lackluster

Mmm. Shadowrun. I'm thinking here of the tabletop RPG .... good game and backstory, but I wish they'd put out a new Earthdawn game of ANY sort; I really liked that one (same universe as Shadowrun, but set in the distant, mythical past. The magic is diminishing, rather than growing, and people are just coming out of their mountain strongholds to face whatever Horrors might still be around. Yeah, the future of Shadowrun is bleak; once that magical field gets strong enough .. never mind the mutants. ) We had a good GM for Earthdawn, and he really knew how to put the creepy fears into his players.

One guy stopped to have a drink in a river while the party was resting and we were deciding our next move. Turns out the water was .. infested .. with .. very small Horrors, micro-Horrors. Three days later, my character got to witness him being literally torn apart for no apparent reason. In a marketplace.

That's what Earthdawn is... I've been seeing it at the used bookstores lately, but never knew what it was, or bothered to look. Huh, I'll need to grab a copy, next time I'm out.

The general theme kind of reminds me of the way Exalted was supposed to tie into WoD... of course, now I'm remembering that Exalted title Interplay was working on that never came out.