Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Which Elder Scrolls game is the best?

david271749
david271749
✭✭✭✭✭
Please explain your choice below.
Edited by david271749 on 21 May 2014 05:58

Which Elder Scrolls game is the best? 275 votes

10%
jhmcclellan3_ESODominoidGatlanDrimacusMelethTaffyIXZahneNickdorlandb16_ESOAreoHotahfyendiarb16_ESOmutharexdafraorb16_ESOisengrimb16_ESOBryong9ub17_ESOmakrethPintobeanThisOnePostsBloodfangclocksstopperattbagrwb17_ESOvital1989 30 votes
Skyrim
28%
OpioidGallegoItsMeTooSpyfox007_ESOaipex8_ESOElventSakirifrwinters_ESOjkbennettb14a_ESOMaleficusOldschool1964otis67geo_twinkertoesindhyrocksssb14_ESOJJDrakkenMETALPUNKSn.englishb14_ESOAlurriaSariiasmaneatingmonkey 78 votes
Oblivion
17%
MallowayGrunimBashelVeeroAzarulLeeshaChairGraveyardRianaTheBosmerzinoviy22b14_ESOAschanNeizirPhantaxNebthet78Amfijakerwb17_ESOFoxhuntAnath_Qgtholouliseb17_ESOEBTriggerLeovolaoOzghost 47 votes
Morrowind
37%
GilvothConor.Ward94_ESOtheyanceySpidermonkcurtkramderuddb14_ESOdmanlongb14_ESOdrwoody44b14_ESOSyndyj.frank.nicholsb14_ESOAngersRevengeSamrielShannaCommonpainNeferathNaguur86Matt.vanelsenb16_ESOlimoges.jb16_ESOSylv3rCovenant 103 votes
Daggerfall
2%
driosketchLauraKhastleGythralDarrettmurklor007neb18_ESOTavore1138dpgirl 8 votes
Arena
1%
rophez_ESOKronzabuniffpreub18_ESORotherhans 4 votes
Other
1%
Gwarokpavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESOrandomriffyrocksprerb18_ESOstabbykittehBraumeisterlein 5 votes
  • n.englishb14_ESO
    n.englishb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    ....Ones first experience is always the best.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    I think I have to say morrowind, for the special mix of lore and gameplay. The feeling playing morrowind still is fantastic.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind and the original Half Life are my two favorite games of all time. I still miss the traditional RPG elements of the gameplay. (I hated how often I missed in early levels, but it doesn't take long to start hitting all the time). I could just explore the Grazelands and the Ashlands for hours on end (especially with a passive wildlife mod so I could actually appreciate the world without fighting every fifteen seconds).

I never got tired of the different architecture styles of the regions, the insane flora and fauna, and the rich world (which somehow managed to feel a little less rich in Oblivion and Skyrim, but ESO is bringing a lot of that richness back). I love the political intrigues, the moral complexity, the goosebump moments of that game.

The gameplay is almost unbearably clunky by modern standards, but that game is the whole reason I'm here right now.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim
    Only because the combat system is superior.

I loved the story of Morrowind.

I hated having to keep notes and I hated combat. My nephew could hit something the size of a cliff racer at point blank range. Having to set attributes in console to not rage at dying because combat sucks donkey butt is bs.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Sakiri wrote: »

I hated having to keep notes and I hated combat. My nephew could hit something the size of a cliff racer at point blank range. Having to set attributes in console to not rage at dying because combat sucks donkey butt is bs.

Wasn't their a combat mod that brought it up to snuff with Oblivion's? Or at least removed the proc chance on actually connecting with an attack?

Either way, the first response is right, I don't think I'll ever forget Vvardenfell.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    My sentiments exactly.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Hum ... hard call. I honestly dont know , in the end , they are all so awesome and can change so much with mods , that i cant really say.

That is the beauty of ES games , it is not about each game , but about each playthrough , with the mods , they can feel like entire new games even.

I will pick oblivion , because it was the first i ever played , and from there i went to others , but i dont believe any of them is superior , it is not about just the game , it is about what you do with it.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on 21 May 2014 06:19
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion

Very true.

Skyrim just a hair behind Oblivion, although I did snag another copy of Morrowind a while ago when I couldn't find the original copy. Hard to resist the tug of nostalgia I guess.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind.. played daggerfal before it but it didn't really stick.

Morrowind, Baldur's gate (1 and 2), Planescape Torment

those are the 3 best crpg's I ever played.

Morrowind for the feeling of just truly getting lost in the world, something that simply didn't happen in oblivion and skyrim, the utter alien atmosphere.. the music.. the storyline... I even liked the journal because it actually felt like a real diary where it was nearly impossible to find anything in it.... simply awesome

edit: oh and the actual skill requirements for the guilds.. the lack of fast travel.. the almsivi and divine intervention, the mark and recall.. levitation... the large caves / ruins.. did I mention getting lost already?
    Edited by Shiaxi on 21 May 2014 06:28
  • Auralia
    Auralia
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Oblivion even though Morrowind was my first. Things in Oblivion formatted better. Replaying Morrowind recently I disliked the quest journal immensely.
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind. Loved the universe. The story line. The books. All the many many guild lines. The huge world.
    Oblivion seemed smaller though I loved Shivering Isles.
    And Skyrim seemed washed down from all aspects.
    Edited by Lovely on 21 May 2014 06:26
  • Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to say Skyrim, only because the game was infested by some rather humorous bugs. In fact, the game had more bugs than it did content, and that was funny.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim

Wasn't their a combat mod that brought it up to snuff with Oblivion's? Or at least removed the proc chance on actually connecting with an attack?

Either way, the first response is right, I don't think I'll ever forget Vvardenfell.

I havent found a decent combat mod thats still available.

There is a project I wont name involving Skyrims engine(Bethsoft I dont think approves) that Im hoping finishes.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    for those feeling nostalgic but unable to get over the graphics hump of morrowind:

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

ofcourse still not comparable to current games but pretty amazing nonetheless
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Oblivion because the spellmaking and enchanting system was amazing. Enchanting in Morrowind was too hard to do yourself without a mod and too expensive to have npcs do it. (100,000g for an enchant? really?) I did love the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind lol. I love all of the games, though I couldn't really get into Arena (Daggefall's game play is much better).
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    I'd have to go with morrowind.
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Auralia wrote: »
    Oblivion even though Morrowind was my first. Things in Oblivion formatted better. Replaying Morrowind recently I disliked the quest journal immensely.

Morrowind is much more a game of reading than the other games. The map doesn't even tell you where to go! Something that you'd never see in games today.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    heh 100k gold was no problem.. or well... no problem in theory in practice those damned small gold supplies of the merchants were annoying :p

I remember that I tended to have a whole load of gold at very low levels (trek to balmorra, buy the mark recall and almsivi intervention spells, discover the lost ebony mine and raid that) routinely got me an obscene amount of ebony to sell
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

There is a project I wont name involving Skyrims engine(Bethsoft I dont think approves) that Im hoping finishes.

Yeah, that might actually be an issue. I know a lot of the old Morrowind mods have gone dark over the years. One of the modders that actually turned out some really good content was bullied off modding the game by homophobic fans, and took her work with her.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Shiaxi wrote: »

Morrowind for the feeling of just truly getting lost in the world, something that simply didn't happen in oblivion and skyrim, the utter alien atmosphere.. the music.. the storyline... I even liked the journal because it actually felt like a real diary where it was nearly impossible to find anything in it.... simply awesome

edit: oh and the actual skill requirements for the guilds.. the lack of fast travel.. the almsivi and divine intervention, the mark and recall.. levitation... the large caves / ruins.. did I mention getting lost already?

No love for Arcanum or the original Fallout. :(

But, in all seriousness, yeah, Morrowind was fantastic. It's hard to get into, but then, in turn, almost impossible to get out of.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim probably had the smoothest, best gameplay of the three I've played, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The environments were also much more immersive than Oblivion's.

My biggest gripe though, is as the progressed in gameplay, they've simplified the system too much; they need morrowind's skills and attributes back, along with the armor system. Asymmetric armor is best armor. Combine that with a crafting system similar to Online's (no style mats, but having to learn motifs) Skyrims detail with some diversity of landscape and you've got what I'd call a perfect elder scrolls game.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind

But, in all seriousness, yeah, Morrowind was fantastic. It's hard to get into, but then, in turn, almost impossible to get out of.

haven't actually played arcanum and to my great shame also didn't play the original fallout (played the crap out of fallout 2 though) and while an awesome game it is not as awesome as the 3 mentioned above :p

even further offtopic: really excited about wasteland 2 coming up :D
  • LordEcks
    LordEcks
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim > Daggerfall > Arena

My personal order of pereference. Not to take anything away from these games as even Arena was great (in its time).

Personally feel Morrowind was the greater overall game. Oblivion had the best main story and Skyrim has the best gameplay mechanics. Daggerfall had the most content and... Arena... well.. Arena started it all...
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim

Yeah, that might actually be an issue. I know a lot of the old Morrowind mods have gone dark over the years. One of the modders that actually turned out some really good content was bullied off modding the game by homophobic fans, and took her work with her.

Didnt happen to be AlienSlof was it?

Got a lot of homophobic hate with Oblivion mods too if I remember.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim
    LordEcks wrote: »
    Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim > Daggerfall > Arena

My personal order of pereference. Not to take anything away from these games as even Arena was great (in its time).

Personally feel Morrowind was the greater overall game. Oblivion had the best main story and Skyrim has the best gameplay mechanics. Daggerfall had the most content and... Arena... well.. Arena started it all...

Daggerfall was so damned buggy...
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

This is why I like Morrowind as well.. Black map that had to be revealed and no quest markers.. Immersion was awesome.

I loved the different architectural styles. Vivec, Balmora, Sadrith Mora and Ald'ruhn are all beautiful and unique. I cannot wait to see these areas in ESO with modern graphics. I hope they do it justice.

Morrowind also had awesome variety. Most weapon options. Most magic schools. Racial diversity (with negative and positive attributes) was great.

The ability to kill important NPCs... The personality of NPCs.. I could go on and on.. Favorite RPG ever.

I love Skyrim also but wish it had not been so simplified / easy compared to its predecessor.
    Edited by Enkil on 21 May 2014 08:48
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

Didnt happen to be AlienSlof was it?

Got a lot of homophobic hate with Oblivion mods too if I remember.

Maybe, the name is familiar, but I can't be sure. I think this was about eight years ago... and given I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday... or what the build was for that ethereal floaty badger in D&D that made things explode...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

haven't actually played arcanum and to my great shame also didn't play the original fallout (played the crap out of fallout 2 though) and while an awesome game it is not as awesome as the 3 mentioned above :p

even further offtopic: really excited about wasteland 2 coming up :D

I've actually got the WL2 Early Access release in my Steam Account now, thanks to the Kickstarter campaign. I haven't actually fired it up since December, but, yeah, I'm looking forward to the final release too. On that subject, I also need to finish up Shadowruns Returns.

Arcanum is really interesting, and I would really recommend taking a look at Fallout 1 when you've got the chance.

There's also Neverwinter Nights 2's Mask of the Betrayer, but that one sets such a high bar for entry, it's hard to recommend blind.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    oh shadowrun returns is awesome.. or well.. the dragonfall expansion is awesome; the original was good.. but a bit.. lackluster
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Yeah, I actually nabbed the expansion a couple weeks ago. Still need to get to it, though.