Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why can't my character be left handed?

• Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Allyah wrote: »
    Humor.

It's funny how any rude comment is now blanketed by "it was just a joke".
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    Lefties can't be heroes. It's science.

Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain to name but a few :P
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Norrønt_Språk
    Enteum wrote: »

Neil Armstrong, Fred Astaire, Kim Basinger, Ludwig van Beethoven, David Bowie, Gaius Iulius Caesar, Fidel Castro, Jim Carrey, Winston Churchill, Bill Clinton, Marie Skłodowska Curie, Albrecht Dürer, Bob Dylan, Albert Einstein, Peter Fonda, Gerald Ford, Morgan Freeman, Clark Gabl, Bill Gates, Mahatma Gandhi, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Al Gore, Matt Groening, Thomas Jefferso, Steve Jobs, Charlemagne (Karl der Große / Charles the Great), Jay Leno, Karl Lagerfeld, Leonardo da Vinci, Diego Maradona, Paul McCartney, Marylin Monroe, Demi Moore, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Napoleon Bonaparte, Isaac Newton, Friedrich Nietzsche, Robert De Niro, Barack Obama, Pablo Picasso, Brad Pitt, Ramses II, Ronald Reagan, Robert Redford, Keanu Reeves, Julia Roberts, John D. Rockefeller, Peter Paul Rubens, Albert Schweitzer, Sylvester Stallone, Ringo Starr, Ben Stiller, Franz Josef Strauß, Leo Tolstoi, Harry S. Truman, Mark Twain, Bruce Willis, Owen Willson, Oprah Winfrey, Charlie Chaplin, Elizabeth II., Prince Charles, Prince William,.... and thousands others.

B)
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    There is no Satan in ESO and lefties are the spawn of Satan so I don't see how this would work
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭
    PVT_Parts wrote: »
    Why can't I put the shield in the right and and weapon in the left? What if I want to be left handed?

I think if they did this, they would have to buff left-handed users. As we all know, they tend to die faster. :disagree:
    Being Left Handed May Be Dangerous to Life
    Source: nytimes.com/1991/04/04/us/being-left-handed-may-be-dangerous-to-life-study-says.html
  • Setarcos
    Setarcos
    Soul Shriven
    Pintobean wrote: »
    Is there a mod that will display the game in a mirror image?
    Might make for an interesting challenge reading text. :p
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with this suggestion, besides animation issues. The majority of people are right handed. To compound on that I'd be willing to bet that there are more left handed people who learned to use a mouse with their right hand, I fall into that category. So the number of right handed gamers far out number left handed ones to the point where it doesn't justify a gaming company to create mirror animations. With that being said, it would look funny to use the mouse with your right hand while your character swings with his left.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this. A simple option on the settings menu, and all animations get 'reversed'.

Course, your character's tattoos and whatnot would probably get reversed, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool. I'd probably make all my characters lefties, just because I have the option.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    I write with my left hand, i throw and use a mouse with my right hand..i lead with my left foot.

Man I'm all screwed up. If this were back in the days ida been hung for being a voodoo man bear pig or something.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 01:14
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with this suggestion, besides animation issues. The majority of people are right handed. To compound on that I'd be willing to bet that there are more left handed people who learned to use a mouse with their right hand, I fall into that category. So the number of right handed gamers far out number left handed ones to the point where it doesn't justify a gaming company to create mirror animations. With that being said, it would look funny to use the mouse with your right hand while your character swings with his left.

Not exactly what I mean. I don't mean designed for left handed mouse. I mean just a left handed character. Shield in right hand sword in left and switching the mouse buttons based on hand, so left mouse button is left hand and right is right. Animation would be a simple character mirroring especially since a shield blocks 360 degrees.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly what I mean. I don't mean designed for left handed mouse. I mean just a left handed character. Shield in right hand sword in left and switching the mouse buttons based on hand, so left mouse button is left hand and right is right. Animation would be a simple character mirroring especially since a shield blocks 360 degrees.

Agreed. You're not addressing this for left-handed players, but left-handed characters.

It's a matter of roleplay and immersion. I've only played one game in the last 15 years that had an option to be left handed, and I've completely forgot what it was. Only thing I remember was that your character could be a lefty.

I think it was a shooter, though.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a left handed gaming mouse. They are out there ...
    ;-)
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Including left handed player characters, would mean doubling all character animations. To include all weapons, shields, roll animation and every single piece of art work.
    Edited by Ackwalan on 22 May 2014 02:52
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    This should be added to every game to ever be created. Off topic, there has been more evil from right handed people than left handed people. :)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Including left handed player characters, would mean doubling all character animations. To include all weapons, shields, roll animation and every single piece of art work.
    Or, you simply mirror the right handed skeletal animation, which isn't all that hard to do.
    :)
    Edited by SirAndy on 22 May 2014 02:56
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Technically, no. You *could* double everything. Or you could mirror everything.

The difference is that in your way, there is two versions of everything. In my way, the code simply displays the image in reverse.

This is easily done, and is in-fact already in game. Want to know how I know? Look at the skins of your legs during character creation. Every mole, every hair, every scar on one leg is reflected and mirrored in the exact same spot on the opposite leg. It's a simple matter of manipulating textures and animations.

If given a chance, a modder could make the necessary changes to the code in about 20 minutes. I am being completely serious. I have had this exact thing done for me in Skyrim.

XBOX NA

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    No but seriously, that would be kind of cool. I can't remember any games that have done that, and it would require work with animations and what not.

The original Unreal let you pick your weapon hand. I think Unreal Tournament did as well, but it's been a long time.

Resident Evil 6 lets you switch dominant hands at any time with the middle mouse button, but, given the game's a third person shooter, this is more of a gameplay function. The second player in RE5 was left handed, and all of the second players in RE6 are by default.

Technically, Dark Souls will let you stick a sword in your left hand and a shield in your right, but the results are comical as you punch people with the shield and try to parry with the sword.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crumpy wrote: »
    Because left-handed people are of the devil.

Hey, I'm left handed. Thank you for noticing. :p
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ErykGrimm wrote: »
    I haven't read of a left handed hero in the lore. Perhaps lefties don't exist in the elder scrolls universe. I am curious as to why.

Lefthanded Elves exist in the lore, or at least they did in Daggerfall.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NiRN‌ You really have to stop, my boss is so angry that I giggled like a r*tard in the middle of a meeting. The fact that they assume I was staring at my crotch didn't help.

*edit*
    to change re tard to r*tard

By the way, they could add a quest line to fix the lore, since I don't see any lefties in the post ESO era games. Nor are there any documentation.

Angry mobs must've thought they're Daedra worshippers. And likewise Daedra worshippers thought they're a threat to the planes of Oblivion. Hence, the extinction.
    Edited by Aeradon on 22 May 2014 09:49
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    Allyah wrote: »
    Humor.

It's funny how any rude comment is now blanketed by "it was just a joke".
    Oh? From my point of view it looked like you were labeling a joke as a rude comment. And from the amount of lol's it got, I'm going to guess most people would agree with me.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    I wonder why these forums are going to hell?

It's a marketing thing for Doom 4. :p
  • Krivasran
    Krivasran
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we could make any judgments of "simply mirror it!" Until we understand their animation and skeletal system. It may not be just that simple.
    You've mistaken me for someone who cares.
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »

Kurt Cobain singlehandedly ruined metal, not a hero.
  • Wintersage
    Wintersage
    ✭✭✭
    Of all the things going on right now, you are concerned with this? Really?

Perhaps it's that left-handed perspective.
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭

Agreed. You're not addressing this for left-handed players, but left-handed characters.

It's a matter of roleplay and immersion. I've only played one game in the last 15 years that had an option to be left handed, and I've completely forgot what it was. Only thing I remember was that your character could be a lefty.

Neverwinter Nights had a check box that allowed you to switch from right handed to left. So not sure why more than ten years on this is still lacking so much.

I would like it, and would likely use it on a character or two, just to make them feel more unique and varied from each other.
  • kmorganlfcb16_ESO
    driosketch wrote: »
    Think about it. When facing off against an opponent, don't you want your large flat blocking surface on their weapon side? It'd be like Rocky II where Micky changed his fighting style from southpaw.

But what if the opponent is left-handed?

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lodestar wrote: »

Neverwinter Nights had a check box that allowed you to switch from right handed to left. So not sure why more than ten years on this is still lacking so much.

I would like it, and would likely use it on a character or two, just to make them feel more unique and varied from each other.

Wait, NWN from Bioware? Or the old MMO from the dial up days?

Because I don't remember ever noticing it in the old Bioware game.
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't my character have a peg leg? I wanna be a pirate.
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because lefties are just too weird !

:p

Seriously though, I'm guessing its just because it would basically double all the work required to make a character. (hmm... I suppose you could just mirror it, to give the visual impression of being left-handed) Maybe make that an option in character creation???
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !