Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why can't my character be left handed?

PVT_Parts
PVT_Parts
✭✭✭
Why can't I put the shield in the right and and weapon in the left? What if I want to be left handed?
  • Slash8915
    Slash8915
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such quality concerns. Maybe they'll fix this glaring, game-breaking issue in 1.1
    VR12 Templar Tank
    VR6 Dragonknight DPS
    VR3 Templar Healer
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted my character to walk with a limp and have a humpback. :(
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • PolskiBunny_ESO
    PolskiBunny_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a nice option. It's not any worse to ask for than any other character customization. It can make a player feel more connected to their character.
  • Slash8915
    Slash8915
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like ZoS is targeting left-handed people by not adhering to their needs. I believe a call to the ACLU is in order to make sure all of our left-handed brothers and sisters are seen as equals.
    VR12 Templar Tank
    VR6 Dragonknight DPS
    VR3 Templar Healer
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    lol. To be fair, I am not left handed and your sarcastic comments are met with chuckles from me. Yes, I know this is not a big issue or anything, but it is an easy fix. Simple fix is to make shield able to be slotted like one handed weapons, fix over. It's almost like it took more work to not allow them to be slotted in the right hand. Hell, what if I want to dual wield shields? Why not, right? For that matter, why is there no unarmed skill like all the other TES games. What if I want to box all those hot shot PVPers to death while they try to mess me up with their magic and sharp pointy objects.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all! We've moved this thread from the Support section to the General Discussion section. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefties can't be heroes. It's science.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slash8915 wrote: »
    Such quality concerns. Maybe they'll fix this glaring, game-breaking issue in 1.1

He made a simple request.

He did not demand it be done now.

He did not threaten to quit.

He did not QQ.

Yet, you still choose to belittle him.

I wonder why these forums are going to hell?
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've got a war going on and the great harvester of souls is trying to enslave the world we know and you want them to start making left hand shields and weapons?!?!? The audacity!

No but seriously, that would be kind of cool. I can't remember any games that have done that, and it would require work with animations and what not.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    We've got a war going on and the great harvester of souls is trying to enslave the world we know and you want them to start making left hand shields and weapons?!?!? The audacity!

No but seriously, that would be kind of cool. I can't remember any games that have done that, and it would require work with animations and what not.

Ah true, I didn't think about the animation. Aren't our characters essentially symmetrical though, couldn't said animation simply be mirrored on the other side instead?

Also, @ZOS_TristanK I'm wondering why this was moved as it is a feedback/suggestion for ZOS, not a general discussion post. Is it because left handed people are a conspiracy and don't actually exist? I guess technically it is a petition as well as are all threads that suggest something should be added. Or is it simply that all suggestions must be given in game to ZOS? Please help me understand where I should post suggestions for implementing things where ZOS will get the idea because a general discussion forum doesn't seem to be the place for suggestions and constructive feedback/ideas.
  • magickats242cub18_ESO
    I don't think it should matter which paw you use, as long as you can hit your target.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are happy to read suggestions from our fans about left-handed characters, forum structure, or anything else related to ESO, and want to assure you that we collect feedback and suggestions from all around the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For all intents and purposes, the general forum is the feedback forum. Because there is no dedicated feedback forum. The customer support forum is really more for technical issues and bug reporting.

To the issue at hand, (no pun), I imagine even if your character was left handed, they would still hold the shield with their left. Think about it. When facing off against an opponent, don't you want your large flat blocking surface on their weapon side? It'd be like Rocky II where Micky changed his fighting style from southpaw.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because in some cultures being left handed is evil!
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    BrassRazoo wrote: »

Isn't it thought? I want my character to be the spawn of Satan, so thus it must be left handed.
  • stabbykitteh
    stabbykitteh
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVT_Parts wrote: »
    Is it because left handed people are a conspiracy and don't actually exist?
    I think it's because we're inherently evil. Muahahahahaha :P

Would be neat if a developer included a lefty option at some point. It would be another roleplay option.

If it requires double the animations for all weapon types (except possibly dual wielding) in first and third person though, I could understand why it hasn't been done.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your left handed then that means you worship Daedra, which means your an imperial and an enemy to the state.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard being left handed can make you go blind.
    Edited by ZiRM on 21 May 2014 19:07
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    Slash8915 wrote: »

He made a simple request.

He did not demand it be done now.

He did not threaten to quit.

He did not QQ.

Yet, you still choose to belittle him.

I wonder why these forums are going to hell?
    Humor.
    NiRN wrote: »
    I've heard being left handed can make you blind.
    Urban legend.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why can't I put the shield in the right and and weapon in the left? What if I want to be left handed?
    There were similar issues in SWTOR, it had something to do with combat animations, and having to redo them for lefthandedness (can't simply invert them apparently)
    BrassRazoo wrote: »
    I know that the latin for lerfthanded is Sinister, but it's a different word (even if spelled and pronounced the same) from Sinister(evil).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Pintobean
    Pintobean
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a mod that will display the game in a mirror image?
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because left-handed people are of the devil.
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Get in the flask"
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't all races be gingers? We all know that gingers have no souls and that our character is the soulless one.Since some races can't be gingers it is therefore impossible to RP properly .
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Pintobean wrote: »

good call. There probably is a way to do it, but IDK how.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pintobean wrote: »

good call. There probably is a way to do it, but IDK how.

Depending on your video card ctrl +alt +arrows.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
  • esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »
    Why can't all races be gingers? We all know that gingers have no souls and that our character is the soulless one.Since some races can't be gingers it is therefore impossible to RP properly .

You can actualy make a pale red haired toon pick body with freckles and get bit by a vampire.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    esoone wrote: »
    PBpsy wrote: »

You can actualy make a pale red haired toon pick body with freckles and get bit by a vampire.
    Only on some races. The redguards can't be gingers for a race that has red in its name that doesn't make any sense. :p
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left handed and wouldn't mind this as an option. I just don't see this anywhere near the top of the list of things i want ZOS to work on ...
    ;-)
  • ErykGrimm
    ErykGrimm
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read of a left handed hero in the lore. Perhaps lefties don't exist in the elder scrolls universe. I am curious as to why.