Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Pre-release or only another server test ?

Ithug
Ithug
✭✭
I think that pre-release was only another test for the server... on the 5 days early acces there was 3 (is it 4?) big server maintenances. Personally I dont like to complain.. But why make people pay 20$ (some 40 $for special edition) if it is to make them rage on a broken servers ?

I understand there still problem and bugs to solve. But come on.. they should really come up a little something for the"pre-release testers"...

**Sorry for my English.
*Kal Vas Flam*
- "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Servers have been up for the majority of Early Access, and they didn't make you pay extra for it. It was a bonus. This is like complaining that your Christmas sweater isn't made of pure alpaca wool.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    Maintenances have a cut a lot of daytime..
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ithug wrote: »
    Maintenances have a cut a lot of daytime..

Or nighttime, depending on what part of the world you're in. Maintenance is a regular part of any MMO.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    Just saying they should have just let it in beta of it was to test there servers... really and pre-release was 60 or 80 bucks and i see people that say they pay 40 for the currect hard copy for official release...
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saying they should have just let it in beta of it was to test there servers... really and pre-release was 60 or 80 bucks and i see people that say they pay 40 for the currect hard copy for official release...

Just saying that this wasn't a "test".

World of Warcraft was released 10 years ago. They still have maintenance, both planned and unplanned on a regular basis. Are you going to say that they need to test their servers better?

Also, plenty of people only paid sale prices for their pre-order. Retail price has not changed after pre-order. You didn't pay extra for this.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on 3 April 2014 18:28
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    Wow dont do maintenance 4 days in a row
    and usually its always the same day/same time
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. This game hasn't done maintenance 4 days in a row either. I've also seen WoW servers go down for more than a day at a time for emergency maintenance. Do your homework before you complain about a regular feature of MMOs.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they're still testing their systems. Let them test their systems, they will be testing their systems for a while. Fixing stuff etc. Good on them! give it chance. Let's get this right.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    Ok.. and im now asking for free month or a refund... just say that they could think to something for the inconvenience like a *** item nobody will use anyway like another monkey !? lol!
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭

WoW did when WoW launched. FFXIV 2.0 (which has been out for 6ish months now) also has regular, multiple 3 hour maintenances for weeks. In fact.. I cannot think of a single MMO that came out that hasn't had fairly frequent maintenances within the first few weeks of launch.

It's computer software, stuff tends to act funny and manifest itself randomly. Things that didn't pop up in any stress tests suddenly become a problem at launch (and that isn't at all specific to games). That's why games like WoW still have emergency maintenances several years after they have been out.. with those maintenances occurring more heavily around expansion packs.

It sucks, it's frustrating, but it's also to be expected. Software doesn't really come bug free, and will never be bug free for all users. What they could do, and what they really should have done since this was scheduled.. was given more warning.
    Edited by Lalai on 3 April 2014 18:35
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • allie280
    allie280
    ✭✭
    I'm so sad I wrote a bard song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWwq70nUOU
  • SinBad
    SinBad
    ✭✭✭
    A beta cant account for the actual launch, there will be way more people playing. so it was smart for them to have the 5 day early access and the 3 day one. There is probably going to be more downtime on Friday, so buckle up its going to be a bumpy ride.
    @allie280 that was awesome.
    Myrmidons, my brothers of the sword. I'd rather fight beside you than any army of thousands. Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what's there, waiting, beyond that beach? Immortality!Take it, it's yours!
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    OMG u guys dont get it.. I say it too that it is normal to have maintenance... But why make people pay more if they dont get what they paid for... 5 days of game time..
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok.. and im now asking for free month or a refund... just say that they could think to something for the inconvenience like a *** item nobody will use anyway like another monkey !? lol!

You already have a free month, and if you can't read the ToS, don't click "Agree". Maintenance time is included in that agreement.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    You already have a free month, and if you can't read the ToS, don't click "Agree". Maintenance time is included in that agreement.

I hope u get a month with the game purchase.... WTF was that
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG u guys dont get it.. I say it too that it is normal to have maintenance... But why make people pay more if they dont get what they paid for... 5 days of game time..

But you didn't pay more (Imperial and regular edition both had 5 days early access per the digital pre-orders on Zenimax's site.. and both prices are the same prices you would pay if you got the game 3 days from now, after launch)... And you still got to play in a head start. They can't help if they need maintenance, and they can't know ahead of time how much maintenance they're going to need in an emergency. I don't know what you expect, for them to have on the box "pre-order for 5 days head start, but we may need some hours for maintenance if some unforeseen issue arises".. they do include that second bit in the ToS. Not the exact same wording, but it's there.
    Edited by Lalai on 3 April 2014 18:42
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope u get a month with the game purchase.... WTF was that

You did. You already have it. Reading is your friend.
    ----
    Murray?
  • battagast
    battagast
    At least do the work at night, when theres the least amount of players online!
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    first off, those saying we didn't pay for early access are wrong. That was part of the purchasing agreement and package that we chose to buy. Saying that it is bonus is like buying a car that has air conditioning and them saying that the air conditioning is a bonus. We chose to pre-order the game because early access was part of the bundle. and 1/3 33% downtime is substantial. And that is just in the last 2 1/2 days that my math is for because I only go 3* days early access.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What the OP wanted to express was the following I think,

He bought the imperial edition because of the 5 day bonus. Unlike at other MMO´s, those pre order days were cut short due the amount of downtimes.

That's why he feels that he was charged for a service that he couldn't fully use.

Downtimes in an MMO are to be expected, usually once a week or with a patch release. However, the pre order now, was more a test for ZO than a release and this is different to pre orders of other MMO´s in the past years.

Not saying they do bad, but its something new for many of us who expect pre orders to be actual releases just a few days earlier and not a beta stress test equivalent.
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    Just realize this, Sub games give you your first month free. One of the reasons for this is because there will be more downtime dring that first month than any other month. It is what it is.
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    Audigy
    Thanks, that is more clearly what i was trying to say first! dammit
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GaBacon wrote: »
    Just realize this, Sub games give you your first month free. One of the reasons for this is because there will be more downtime dring that first month than any other month. It is what it is.

This.

And for the last time, people: you did not pay anything for early access. The pre-order pricing for the game is exactly what it will be tomorrow, and they won't be getting early access. You got a present. A gift. A bona-fide free ride.

Downtime happens, and since we've only had 3 outages (and only one of those major) in 5 days, I think anyone who's been through another MMO launch would say we're sitting pretty.
    ----
    Murray?
  • DickTater
    DickTater
    Whew--I don't know which I detest the most, the mindless whiners or the brown nosing lil ***--Grow up! This is a multi-million dollar investment!! Do you actually think they would have any downtime they did not deem necessary for improved gameplay??
  • DigitalStorm
    DigitalStorm
    Soul Shriven
    I would first like to say, thank you people for entertaining me while the server's are down, it's a riot reading/listening to all of the gibber gabber. Second thing I'd like to say is that there should be less complaining about the server downtime and more discussion on updating the way the forums are :P
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for the last time, people: you did not pay anything for early access. The pre-order pricing for the game is exactly what it will be tomorrow, and they won't be getting early access. You got a present. A gift. A bona-fide free ride.

Downtime happens, and since we've only had 3 outages (and only one of those major) in 5 days, I think anyone who's been through another MMO launch would say we're sitting pretty.

This exactly. The early access may have provided incentive you to pre-purchase instead of waiting until after the fact, but I don't think it caused anyone to buy the game who wouldn't have already done so. You didn't pay a dime for it specifically, and you most certainly didn't pay more for it.

This is one of the smoothest online game launches I've actually been a part of recently. FFXIV 2.0 I couldn't even play the first week (that's early access plus launch). Sim City had lots of downtime plus loss of cities created. Diablo 3 also had a ton of downtime. It comes with the territory because of the nature and unpredictability of the beast that is software. They are not going to leave the servers up while a huge game breaking bug is happening, just to make sure they meet the full 5 days early access quota.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    You didn't pay for 5 days of game time. You paid for bonus content and special items that came with your order.

Because you pre-ordered, or because you chose to go with the "upgraded" editions, Zenimax Online wanted to reward you by letting you into the game and on the servers early.

You might have bought the better editions BECAUSE you wanted the extra/early play time, but that was a bonus... not part of the package.

It does become an argument of intention, translation, and semantics... but the sales pitch is this:
    Order the <EDITION> today and be the first to play with five days of early game access.

So you order the <EDITION> AND THEN you get 5/3/early access.
    Buy now, and get cash back. Order now, and we'll throw in this extra for free.

You didn't pay for that extra... It is not part of the product. It is a bonus.
  • timebandit_b16_ESO
    timebandit_b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    dojnt listen to nevarines bulshit, hes a fanboy or a developer defending the game like a zombie.

clown company
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    battagast wrote: »
    At least do the work at night, when theres the least amount of players online!

Do you mean you wish them to do server downtime at night in your particular place in the world?

You do know both EU and NA servers are, in fact, situated in NA at the moment?

Asira Avalis - Mage
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    I just do not understand the logic of those who have been complaining about maintenance. These are the same people who complain and scream and cry about any tiny bug they might run across in-game. Along comes maintenance to fix the very problem they were screaming and whining about and then they rage and cry foul about that to.

If you are so unhappy with the game, then please do not play. We who enjoy the game and understand how launch of an MMO works will go on just fine without you.

This of course will not happen and you will continue to cry, so may I finish with the ever fashionable, "CRYMOAR"

As for coming down to patch for true launch, I'm more than pleased with the early access I got, I played easily for more than 30 hours since 3/30/14. Do you really think you would have used all 5 days of the access? 120 hours? No sleep? Good on you.
    Arturius Felsword - Templar (DPS/Heals)
    • Blacksmith

Orion Collective Recruitment Thread