Is the current state of PvP more enjoyable or less enjoyable than previous years?

• fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    MagSorcs and NBs generally run stat sets.
    Since I've been engaging PvP this last week or two, I actually have seen a lot of sorcs and NBs running Tarnished Nightmare so I don't know if this is really true anymore. And even I, a magsorc, am thinking about swapping to a new build that uses a proc set for Gold Road.... sad to say since I've disliked them with a passion since Greymoor, but I feel like I just have to give in at this point.
    Edited by fizzylu on 21 May 2024 20:07
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    fizzylu wrote: »
    a lot of sorcs and NBs running Tarnished Nightmare
    Things get confounded here because Tarnished is a burst proc that goes on very different builds from the MDW/Vatesh pressure builds that also get complained about. I still find the most threatening ones to be the good players on full stat NBs and Sorcs, though I'll admit constantly being procced from range is getting old, dozens of must-dodge hungers and 2k Tarnished procs breaking my eardrums off 300 dmg poison arrow ticks is not peak PvP.

Even as a dot and proc enjoyer, I would support removing burst procs like Tarnished and that hunger set from dots. Sets obviously designed for pressure like Way of Fire or Ice Furnace are fine as they functionally don't do much different from a stat set that buffs your pressure damage like Deadly Strike. Set and forget burst damage though? No thanks.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    fizzylu wrote: »
    a lot of sorcs and NBs running Tarnished Nightmare
    Things get confounded here because Tarnished is a burst proc that goes on very different builds from the MDW/Vatesh pressure builds that also get complained about. I still find the most threatening ones to be the good players on full stat NBs and Sorcs, though I'll admit constantly being procced from range is getting old, dozens of must-dodge hungers and 2k Tarnished procs breaking my eardrums off 300 dmg poison arrow ticks is not peak PvP.

Even as a dot and proc enjoyer, I would support removing burst procs like Tarnished and that hunger set from dots. Sets obviously designed for pressure like Way of Fire or Ice Furnace are fine as they functionally don't do much different from a stat set that buffs your pressure damage like Deadly Strike. Set and forget burst damage though? No thanks.

sadly no proc pvp is not much better. missing sets like VD/DC/PB/DSA2H, makes faction stacking and crossheals even more ridiculous than on cp.
    While missing decent options for sustain sets (yeah sustain problems are a thing in no cp pvp on some classes, crazy i know xD) like Wretched Vitality or even Lich, Bright-Throat or Bonepirat, wont let you play certain classes. Its allways funny to see Cp players complain about hybrid Dks being so op in cp pvp (and i understand it, Hybrid Dk sustain in Bgs is fine even without cps), while they went nearly extinct on no cp (atleast on ravenwatch most of the good main dks moved away from that class because it runs out of steam very fast in 1vX/smallscale).
    Also no cp quickly becomes boring , back in the old days everyone complained that they had to farm new gear every patch, now im here, sitting on the same 5 sets every patch while praying to zos to finaly reintroduce/introduce a no cp proc campaign, so i can finaly use some of the gear i grinded :'( .
    Options
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Less enjoyable by far.

We still have the "stuck in combat" bug, players still disconnect, rubberband and experience all types of other bugs & glitches even on current gen consoles. It seems like with every new patch we just get more and more bugs that make Cyro unplayable these days...Scribing is only going to make it worse
    Options
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    Same. (why?)
    If i log off while i´m in Cyrodiil and log in with the same char next day, i will be back at the same campaign in Cyro. I was wondering if even when i´m offline, i´m counting as a player inside Cyro and could block other people to enter.
    Maybe the numbers of players at Cyro are smaller because more people do this thing.
    PC-NA
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Amottica wrote: »
    GooGa592 wrote: »
    Most who are serious about PvP are no longer here. The significantly lower pop cap tells us that. As such, it seems the majority is no longer here to answer because of real-life issues, or they no longer enjoyed PvP in ESO.

Of course, we do not know how many left due to real-life issues vs how many left due to no longer enjoying the game. That would require a poll specific to them but they are not here to vote.

Most of the PvP community left because ZOS ran them off. They didn't leave by choice. They left because of things like the "Waaaa Waaaaa Waaaa" video and the sentiments most of the ZOS dev team exhibited towards PvP in their streams and how poorly supported Cyrodiil has been since 2019. We aren't even allowed to type PvP or Cyrodiil in live streams by ZOS without getting silenced.

Most of the PvP community had left long before the waaa waaa waaa video. The pop caps were small years before then.

No, the pop caps have been repeatedly slashed since the video referred to. The pop cap at the time of the video was 200-250/faction. Now it's 60-80/faction. For many, the video was the last straw for the PvP community and as a result we will never have faith in ZOS as a company again.
    Options
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    pvp is heinous. been heinous for years. most good players left
    Options
  • alaric72
    alaric72
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    pvp is heinous. been heinous for years. most good players left

we are forced to leave , i have 32k phisical and magical resistance and 3,5k crit res and a night blade hit me today : incapacitating strike 9552 - tarnished nightamre 4895 - sunderer 1003 -whirling blades 6674 -frozen weapon 464, in less then 2 seconds , after a sec whirling blades hits my block for 3125,died , just allow blade of foe at this point, it make no sense play pvp to watch someone kill me without do nothing , to much damage vs a high defence , unbalance

the sorcerers.... i can't feel that i'm fight different players , all with the same build, same skills, same rotation, same way to play , no personality, no difference , to me i feel i'm fighting the same sorcerer that change the name more times at day
    Options
  • Inucham
    Inucham
    More enjoyable. (why?)
    been better these past year,

1less crash/rollbacks/lags,

2more new players brave enought to go in pvp,

3 more mitics + arca, some new winds of gameplay, thats good

4 more bugs and thigs patched

BUT

the issue about sieges and ballgroups still goes on,

gap betwen people on f2p and people that have all the game are huger than ever (im on the 2nd part)

still some crash issues,

the combat bug (mecanic to stay in combat) has made is 10th anniversary witout devs been
    avel to resolve it.

i mean still better pvp than most mmo, thats granted.
    "may the moons show us the right path, and if not just go buyaka mode"
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Everyone can run around LOS with mobility and heal to full in a second, its just an exercise in frustration

Groups stacking HOT and doing the same LOS running can hold out nearly forever and hold home keeps and just kill masses by pulling them all in to one ultidump

At the same time, the floor has been raised enough to where large stacks are no longer really balanced by better play short of using the above 2 run and dump methods.
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Everyone can run around LOS with mobility and heal to full in a second, its just an exercise in frustration
    I will just walk away from fights like this as a "ranged" magsorc. Absolutely not enjoyable trying to run around chasing someone who is 3 times as fast as I am and can dodge roll what seems to be endlessly. Definitely has played a huge part in my lack of interest in Cyrodiil since I've started playing the game.
    And yeah, I wouldn't personally really say one always tops the other. I think it really depends on the players overall build, the abilities their running, if they got the jump on me or not.... and how well I'm doing in the moment against them, haha. But I was just pointing out that the status quo being that the majority of sorcs stack stats definitely doesn't seem to be the case anymore. And from my experience, NBs usually used proc sets.... I definitely haven't forgotten when every nightblade and their mother was running Caluurion's Legacy, haha. Venomous Smite (I still see some of these pretty regularly) and Unleashed Terror were all very common on them for a long while too. Now, Tarnished Nightmare has simply taken their place. It's sad, but from where I've been sitting.... it's been seeming like the proc sets are taking over the games combat. And even if I'm not regularly struggling in fights against them, I can still see how them becoming/being the "best" and definitely the easiest way to play is an issue.
    alaric72 wrote: »
    the sorcerers.... i can't feel that i'm fight different players , all with the same build, same skills, same rotation, same way to play , no personality, no difference , to me i feel i'm fighting the same sorcerer that change the name more times at day
    Also, if it helps knowing.... I'm also bothered about my lack of build options as a sorcerer. I try to get creative with it and all it ends up being is a time+gold sink that makes me weaker. Years ago I was able to do so much more with the class and had a very unique non meta build (ZOS completely reworked the main non proc set I used into something not even remotely practical).... but now I'm streamlined into basically using all class abilities to stay relevant and common bread+butter sets that almost every mag build are known to run.
    Edited by fizzylu on 27 May 2024 21:22
    Options
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Why? Simple, zos ain't reversed the changes they made in U35
    Options
  • Heals_With_Orbs
    Heals_With_Orbs
    ✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    How long is it going to take to nerf undeath, unnamed 30% damage mitigation contributes the most to the tank meta where fights just never end. 90% of pvpers don't even want to be a vamp, they just want to use that one passive.

You are right. Its absolute guff.

Aside from that vampires cant walk around in the daytime anyway, since when was that abomination to the lore rewritten? Who decided that tripe?

Weird to see some player pounded by 10 odd people in the back and running away but on zero health practically and surviving and running up and down keeps

30 mins later.....stuck in combat, because Mr Vampire McFake is still alive
    Options
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    The population is dwindling because the game is less enjoyable. People don't typically leave games they have invested time and money in unless there is a good reason.

After a long break I was surprised to see that most players have high CP, which is likely an indicater that new players don't stick around. Why would they though? A typical evening is a ball group breaking down the front door of a keep and then heading straight to a tower where they farm players for a while. Then they move to the next keep. There is far more incentive to do this than to actually take the keep.

As for rewards. I can farm overland in one day and get more useful items than what I get after 30 days in Cyrodiil.
    Options
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Problems:
    Cp is trash, always has been. Worse when they removed cap. Seriously terrible layout and system all together.

3 people cross healing taking on 15+ with out line of sight. Then people get bored and run off so that the left overs get wiped.

Siege does basically nothing to groups.

Being a dd, putting it all in hp and still being a dd.

Defile being trashed.

Cost increase poisons being trashed.

Range having a random buff just for being ranged.

Same lead in charge of balance. It's stale.

Ideas to solve:

-7.5% duration penalty for sheilds per medium armor piece.

Double the damage of siege.

Double damage of fighters guild skills on players. (Edit: Vampire and werewolves)

Original defile.

Original cost increase poisons.

Remove range buff.

Execute bonus damage ignore resistance.

Set a hard cap on all resistance combine.

Find someone else to do the balance oversight.
    Edited by silky_soft on 2 June 2024 06:07
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
    Options
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    I uninstalled because pvp has become less and less enjoyable each chapter starting from Blackwood to now. Release overtuned abilities/sets>nerf new sets and buff 1 or 2 classes>do nothing until next chapter>ignore undeath>repeat.

Hybridisation of classes was not a good idea. They should’ve released sets to help players build for that instead of making it passive. It really limited the match ups because most people are playing hybrid and this creates boring metas. Unfortunately this will never be reversed.

It’s like taking scorpion and subzero from mortal combat and making a new character called scorpion zero who uses both move sets.
    Edited by Udrath on 9 June 2024 05:47
    Options
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Game is mostly NB, DK, and Sorc. If I run into Warden they are with another warden. Necro are usually found in groups for this rez ability or a emp bomber. Finally Templar are rarely seen.
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    I'm not a fan of hybridization or the tank meta.
    Options
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Current population cap is inexcusably low. And balance is horrible with some classes being almost useless, and other being almost invincible and still able to deal top tier damage. (depending on build of course)
    Options
  • Qagh
    Qagh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    - Population dysbalance
    - Nightcapping/morningcapping
    - Volendrung with emp faction (+ 6 scrolls)
    - class dysbalance
    - not enough new achievments and rewards

PvP is dead

CP 2400+ - PC/EU - PvP: Gray Host
    Qagh - StamDK - Khajiit - DC - Grand Overlord (AR 50)
    Qagho - MagSorc - Khajiit - DC
    Qaghi - Stamblade - Khajiit - DC - Grand Overlord (AR 50)
    Pelzgesicht - Magcro - Khajiit - DC
    Qaghoo - Magplar - Khajiit - DC
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is mostly NB, DK, and Sorc. If I run into Warden they are with another warden. Necro are usually found in groups for this rez ability or a emp bomber. Finally Templar are rarely seen.

If you squint, you can see 'plars 40 meters away Jesus Beaming. It's about all they're good at.
    Options
  • Afterip
    Afterip
    ✭✭✭
    Same. (why?)
    It doesn't matter if it was a few years ago or now, but necro is still at the bottom.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Afterip wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it was a few years ago or now, but necro is still at the bottom.
    Before it was nerfed in update 35 2 years ago necro was good class and 2.5-5 years ago it was meta.

Options
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Server seems more unresponsive than ever targeting not working, unbreakable cc stacks, bars don't swap, skills simply wont function.
    Options
  • RomanRex
    RomanRex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    PvP is dead. It’s the same (increasingly) small pool of people with random stragglers who don’t stick around very long.

This is a PvE game with some poorly supported/developed PvP elements.
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. (why?)
    Most who are serious about PvP are no longer here. The significantly lower pop cap tells us that. As such, it seems the majority is no longer here to answer because of real-life issues, or they no longer enjoyed PvP in ESO.

Of course, we do not know how many left due to real-life issues vs how many left due to no longer enjoying the game. That would require a poll specific to them but they are not here to vote.

I didn't play for several years since I've made this announcement, and only recently checked out the game when I noticed it in GeForce Now. Checked out what my chars are doing after the patches and rolled some BGs for ~3 days. So I guess my opinion can count as the one you are looking for.

I visited the forum and I noticed the same issues which were present 2 years ago.
    I opened the game and I noticed the same issues that were present 2 years ago.
    Lmao even BG deathmatch threads are there.
    And most good things that were present 2 years ago too.

The game didn't change.

Is it a good characteristic?

I'm not sure. New games offer new gameplay challenges and new graphics.
    ESO graphics is outdated, and PvP gameplay is very...

Twitchy. I don't know a better word to describe it. I used to PvP a lot, but when I came back it took me several hours to understand what's happenning on the screen. Other games taught me that health matters, but here it's not the case. Other games teach cause and effect, but here all the kills happen randomly in a split of a second as a result of application of burst simultaneously by several players. Other game tell us that when people slash each other with swords, one of them will eventually die, which is not the case for ESO. It's not a shooter game, but somehow I need to follow enemies with my pointer, or my skills wouldn't land, and this is so ridiculously hard given that movement speed is SO HIGH :neutral:

Returning player feelings aside, I don't think this game will change.
    I don't think anyone wants it to change, and that there is a serious dev/money investment to change it.
    If you still have any illusions regarding this, I advice you to take a break and play something else.

I won't join the crowd that tells us that the game is worse.

c9163cj8lusp.jpg

It's not.
    The game always had issues.
    The state of the game you have today is not the worst.

There are broken skills, and devs aren't rushing to fix em? Lol please, we had hrothgar chill bug for 3 months.
    Just wait for half a year and they will nerf hardened ward into completely unusable state. If they nerf, it's always to unusable state. Look what they did to jabs lmao.
    Yes, not all dev teams are so incompetent when it comes to PvP balance, but how many Full Reworks Of Every Skill (tm) did you need to understand that?
    Like lol who of us didn't know that hardened ward is a good PvP skill? I knew. Here, look.

https://youtu.be/RJjk9gIsvyE?si=MajUMK5SFRhuxRxV

Does 10k shield in no-cp post battle spirit look bad to you? Well hey, it now also heals! :D

obbscjhkndar.png

Some people recall times when Cyro had many players and higher pop cap. Well should I remind you why it was possible?
    Because computations happened without verification of ESO backend servers. Thus, cheaters emerged and ruined the day.
    They had to move verification of all events to backend, which caused lags, which caused low pop cap.
    You don't want cheaters back. It's not gonna revert.
    *gasp* "they are working on it" part was a lie after all.

Rant aside, some changes also made the game more comfortable.
    Unpopular skills got some QoL buffs slapped on them.
    Passive buffs when skill is on either tab on some skills instead of them being yet another 20s buff.

It's still the same game. For better or worse.
    Options
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    divnyi wrote: »

I didn't play for several years since I've made this announcement, and only recently checked out the game when I noticed it in GeForce Now. Checked out what my chars are doing after the patches and rolled some BGs for ~3 days. So I guess my opinion can count as the one you are looking for.

I visited the forum and I noticed the same issues which were present 2 years ago.
    I opened the game and I noticed the same issues that were present 2 years ago.
    Lmao even BG deathmatch threads are there.
    And most good things that were present 2 years ago too.

The game didn't change.

Is it a good characteristic?

I'm not sure. New games offer new gameplay challenges and new graphics.
    ESO graphics is outdated, and PvP gameplay is very...

Twitchy. I don't know a better word to describe it. I used to PvP a lot, but when I came back it took me several hours to understand what's happenning on the screen. Other games taught me that health matters, but here it's not the case. Other games teach cause and effect, but here all the kills happen randomly in a split of a second as a result of application of burst simultaneously by several players. Other game tell us that when people slash each other with swords, one of them will eventually die, which is not the case for ESO. It's not a shooter game, but somehow I need to follow enemies with my pointer, or my skills wouldn't land, and this is so ridiculously hard given that movement speed is SO HIGH :neutral:

Returning player feelings aside, I don't think this game will change.
    I don't think anyone wants it to change, and that there is a serious dev/money investment to change it.
    If you still have any illusions regarding this, I advice you to take a break and play something else.

I won't join the crowd that tells us that the game is worse.

c9163cj8lusp.jpg

It's not.
    The game always had issues.
    The state of the game you have today is not the worst.

There are broken skills, and devs aren't rushing to fix em? Lol please, we had hrothgar chill bug for 3 months.
    Just wait for half a year and they will nerf hardened ward into completely unusable state. If they nerf, it's always to unusable state. Look what they did to jabs lmao.
    Yes, not all dev teams are so incompetent when it comes to PvP balance, but how many Full Reworks Of Every Skill (tm) did you need to understand that?
    Like lol who of us didn't know that hardened ward is a good PvP skill? I knew. Here, look.

https://youtu.be/RJjk9gIsvyE?si=MajUMK5SFRhuxRxV

Does 10k shield in no-cp post battle spirit look bad to you? Well hey, it now also heals! :D

obbscjhkndar.png

Some people recall times when Cyro had many players and higher pop cap. Well should I remind you why it was possible?
    Because computations happened without verification of ESO backend servers. Thus, cheaters emerged and ruined the day.
    They had to move verification of all events to backend, which caused lags, which caused low pop cap.
    You don't want cheaters back. It's not gonna revert.
    *gasp* "they are working on it" part was a lie after all.

Rant aside, some changes also made the game more comfortable.
    Unpopular skills got some QoL buffs slapped on them.
    Passive buffs when skill is on either tab on some skills instead of them being yet another 20s buff.

It's still the same game. For better or worse.

Your assessment isn't entirely factual. Even after they moves calculations server side due to cheating population caps were still over 250/faction. Now the cap is 60-80/faction.

Cyrodiil PvP absolutely could, today, support much higher population caps if ZOS made the investment to do so.

Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    Worse balance, worse performance.
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. (why?)
    JustLovely wrote: »
    Even after they moves calculations server side due to cheating population caps were still over 250/faction. Now the cap is 60-80/faction.

Did you forget how cyro lagged during pop caps back then?
    JustLovely wrote: »
    if ZOS made the investment to do so.
    divnyi wrote: »

Options
  • SlyReynard
    SlyReynard
    ✭✭✭
    Less enjoyable. (why?)
    I canceled eso+ and eventually un-installed the game over cyro. It's low pop cap and performance. Everything else I can deal with.
    Options