The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Let us get companions easier on alts!

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
We should not have to repeat the same companion quest line up to 15 (or however many slots we can have per server) times!

Make getting the same companion easier with alts. Even repeating Ember's questline get tedious over time.

And I am someone who has played through the core questlines in Auridon and Alik'r probably 30-50 times!
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should not have to repeat the same companion quest line up to 15 (or however many slots we can have per server) times!

Make getting the same companion easier with alts. Even repeating Ember's questline get tedious over time.

And I am someone who has played through the core questlines in Auridon and Alik'r probably 30-50 times!

When you say "quest line", you imply that you're talking about all of a Companion's quests (including the ones you only unlock with positive rapport with them). Though, I imagine you mean the introductory quest for each of them to unlock them as Companions.

I'm not sure what a proper solution to this problem would be. On the one hand, it doesn't make sense for your alternate characters to proceed with the rest of the Companion's positive rapport quests if that alternate character never helped them out in the first place — this gets more confusing when you're supposed to learn about certain characters in the intro quest who show up later in the quest line. ZOS even states that one of the difficulties with allowing you to have Companions unlocked account wide is that you could bring a Companion to unlock the very same Companion.

On the other hand, it is tedious to need to complete the intro quest for every character you wish to use that Companion with. I don't run into this problem often myself because I stick with one main character, but I have gone out of my way on a few alternate characters to unlock some Companions, and noticed how long it took.

I suppose an easy workaround for ZOS would be to introduce a Companion who has a very quick introductory quest — maybe even instantaneous when you go to their location to recruit them — and leave the rest of the Companions alone. That should be enough for anyone who doesn't necessarily care which Companion they use — only that a Companion with the player's preferred build on them is easy to unlock on multiple characters.

I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense for Companions to require you to complete their introductory quest first, because the rest of their quest line relies on it. It would also not make sense to have multiple copies of the same character in the same instance, but that's something I can overlook.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

When you say "quest line", you imply that you're talking about all of a Companion's quests (including the ones you only unlock with positive rapport with them). Though, I imagine you mean the introductory quest for each of them to unlock them as Companions.

I'm not sure what a proper solution to this problem would be. On the one hand, it doesn't make sense for your alternate characters to proceed with the rest of the Companion's positive rapport quests if that alternate character never helped them out in the first place — this gets more confusing when you're supposed to learn about certain characters in the intro quest who show up later in the quest line. ZOS even states that one of the difficulties with allowing you to have Companions unlocked account wide is that you could bring a Companion to unlock the very same Companion.

On the other hand, it is tedious to need to complete the intro quest for every character you wish to use that Companion with. I don't run into this problem often myself because I stick with one main character, but I have gone out of my way on a few alternate characters to unlock some Companions, and noticed how long it took.

I suppose an easy workaround for ZOS would be to introduce a Companion who has a very quick introductory quest — maybe even instantaneous when you go to their location to recruit them — and leave the rest of the Companions alone. That should be enough for anyone who doesn't necessarily care which Companion they use — only that a Companion with the player's preferred build on them is easy to unlock on multiple characters.

I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense for Companions to require you to complete their introductory quest first, because the rest of their quest line relies on it. It would also not make sense to have multiple copies of the same character in the same instance, but that's something I can overlook.

I was talking about the unlock quest line.

Though the rapport one is annoying too. I either live with losing a quest slot, seeing the quest marker over them all the time, or slogging through it again. At least those are shorter than the other ones.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Coming to a crown store near you.

Companion recruitment skip.

I honestly don't see them doing it any other way, it preserves the questlines in the game, and gives people a skip option.

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

I honestly don't see them doing it any other way, it preserves the questlines in the game, and gives people a skip option.

ZOS has stated before that being able to skip the recruitment quest could mean you'd be able to do the quest to unlock the Companion while already having the Companion with you, and they don't want that to happen.

Unless you mean an option to automatically complete (not skip) the recruitment quest — meaning you would have paid Crowns to automatically finish a quest in the game and lose out on the ability to complete it manually on that character. How would that work for quests which have branching paths and alternate endings?

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a solution would be to allow us to use Companions account-wide, but disallow us from using a Companion on their recruitment quest. Maybe it'll unsummon the Companion automatically when we have the quest in our journal, or if we get too close to where we're meant to recruit them. It wouldn't really make sense if we could finish their entire questline before completing their recruitment quest, so maybe they shouldn't offer their positive rapport quests until their recruitment quest has been finished.

This all sounds like a huge headache to implement, though. Undoubtedly it'd be riddled with obscure and annoying bugs. And above all, it still doesn't make sense to have your Companion feel a certain way about you before you "go back in time" and properly recruit them.

• Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be too difficult. If a character on the account has unlocked, say, Isobel, then provided she's locked and her unlock quest isn't currently active:

Other characters on the account can speak to an innkeeper in the starter city who has a dialogue line such as:

"A Breton woman, looked like a knight, was asking if anyone needed help with questing (unlocks companion)"

If accepted, Isobel's unlock quest is marked completes for that character and she's available.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ZOS has stated before that being able to skip the recruitment quest could mean you'd be able to do the quest to unlock the Companion while already having the Companion with you, and they don't want that to happen.

Unless you mean an option to automatically complete (not skip) the recruitment quest — meaning you would have paid Crowns to automatically finish a quest in the game and lose out on the ability to complete it manually on that character. How would that work for quests which have branching paths and alternate endings?

What does that mean? I go get Ember first so she is with me (at least) on every other companion quest. Not a good idea.

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE A CROWN STORE ITEM! That would be just as bad, like skyshards are.

I am not sure which recruitment quest has alternate outcomes. Could you note some? I haven't seen them and I have collected the base 4 dozens of times.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a solution would be to allow us to use Companions account-wide, but disallow us from using a Companion on their recruitment quest. Maybe it'll unsummon the Companion automatically when we have the quest in our journal, or if we get too close to where we're meant to recruit them. It wouldn't really make sense if we could finish their entire questline before completing their recruitment quest, so maybe they shouldn't offer their positive rapport quests until their recruitment quest has been finished.

This all sounds like a huge headache to implement, though. Undoubtedly it'd be riddled with obscure and annoying bugs. And above all, it still doesn't make sense to have your Companion feel a certain way about you before you "go back in time" and properly recruit them.

Why would it make for bugs? Just flip a switch if you have unlocked the companion on another character you have on the same server. Trivial there. Do that instead of saying "you have to run through the character's recruitment" (or whatever it says exactly). That doesn't show up until you have recruited them at least once on the server already!

You can add them to the quick wheel, you just can't summon them without going through the tedious quest once again.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it make for bugs? Just flip a switch if you have unlocked the companion on another character you have on the same server. Trivial there. Do that instead of saying "you have to run through the character's recruitment" (or whatever it says exactly). That doesn't show up until you have recruited them at least once on the server already!

You can add them to the quick wheel, you just can't summon them without going through the tedious quest once again.

The part that would cause bugs is trying to make adjustments like automatically dismissing Companions when beginning their recruitment quest (ZOS doesn't want you to, for example, bring Mirri to unlock Mirri) or hiding Companion rapport quests before the recruitment quest has been completed (otherwise you could become best friends with said Companion and complete their entire storyline, then go back and do the very first quest in that storyline, the recruitment quest).

I can imagine a bug like Companions not giving you their next rapport quest properly when you've maxed out their positive rapport, because of an adjustment that could be made to block said quests from appearing before the recruitment quest was done on that character. Or, what if you become unable to summon said Companion if you have their recruitment quest in your journal, but leave the instance? Again, this could be a potential bug if necessary adjustments were made to make having these Companions unlocked accountwide possible. Not to mention what a headache it sounds like to try to implement and debug these changes — you'd probably have to edit each individual Companion's rapport quest triggers so that it won't offer you the rapport quest before you've done the introductory quest, and so on.

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What does that mean? I go get Ember first so she is with me (at least) on every other companion quest. Not a good idea.

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE A CROWN STORE ITEM! That would be just as bad, like skyshards are.

I am not sure which recruitment quest has alternate outcomes. Could you note some? I haven't seen them and I have collected the base 4 dozens of times.

In other words, you shouldn't be able to bring Ember to unlock Ember. If you could summon Ember on alternate characters without ever having met her, then it wouldn't make sense to be able to have Ember with you as you complete her introductory quest — there would be two Embers.

I don't want it to be a Crown Store thing, either — but I also can't think of a way that skipping the quest would make sense, even if it was automatically unlocked on your account. There are numerous issues with the idea, some of which I've pointed out.

There are branching dialogue paths for Sharp-as-Night's recruitment quest, where you are tasked with delivering flowers. As a general principle, if ZOS ever were to create a way to skip quests, then they'd have to figure out how to let players choose which dialogue path they wanted to go down. This is why I don't find the idea of letting players skip the recruitment quest to be feasible — future Companions may also have branching dialogue paths in their recruitment quest, which may impact future dialogue. And then we run into the same issue where if the recruitment quest wasn't skipped, then players could bring the Companion to unlock themselves and all of the other issues that'd bring.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 26 March 2024 09:30

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    Can't be too difficult. If a character on the account has unlocked, say, Isobel, then provided she's locked and her unlock quest isn't currently active:

Other characters on the account can speak to an innkeeper in the starter city who has a dialogue line such as:

"A Breton woman, looked like a knight, was asking if anyone needed help with questing (unlocks companion)"

If accepted, Isobel's unlock quest is marked completes for that character and she's available.

What happens when there are branching dialogue paths in the recruitment quest, such as with Sharp-as-Night's recruitment quest? Which branch is taken, in the event that both choices change how the characters speak to you in different ways? Further, there are important characters who are mentioned in the recruitment quest for some Companions who the player needs to know about for the later quests to make sense, like Bastian's foster brother.

There's also the issue of how to make sense of recontextualizing each Companion's intro — for example, how would you explain Mirri showing up in the starter city, after her brother had been kidnapped in Blackwood? What motivation does she have to join the player, who never helped her rescue her brother? She references the player helping her rescue her brother in later quests — how would any of that make sense when their intros are completely rewritten?
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 26 March 2024 09:40

• GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭

Can't ZOS just disable the companion we have out as soon as the companion joins us for unlock quest? For example, I take Mirri's quest and enter the instance and quest mirri joins us for her unlock quest, if we already have mirri unlocked and hanging around, it should be unsummoned for the quest mirri to join us.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't ZOS just disable the companion we have out as soon as the companion joins us for unlock quest? For example, I take Mirri's quest and enter the instance and quest mirri joins us for her unlock quest, if we already have mirri unlocked and hanging around, it should be unsummoned for the quest mirri to join us.

I've mentioned this idea before. However, this wouldn't stop players from grinding positive rapport for Mirri and then completing Mirri's other quests, then going back and starting her first quest.

ZOS could prevent that from happening by disabling rapport gain or disabling the future quests until the recruitment quest is done properly, but that will likely result in some unanticipated bugs. Besides, the rapport system is one of the main features of the Companions system — it's doubtful ZOS would want to hide rapport quests or disable the rapport system for players who want to quickly unlock Companions, just to prevent weird inconsistencies like there being multiple copies of the same Companion or going back in time from the last quest to the first quest in the Companion's quest line.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 26 March 2024 09:55

• moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Companions should be account bound but rapport should be character based. Nuff said.
  • FlipFlopFrog
    FlipFlopFrog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just let us use alts as companions, so i can progress through quests with my alt instead of having to play the same quests over and over..
    PC EU
  • GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭

I've mentioned this idea before. However, this wouldn't stop players from grinding positive rapport for Mirri and then completing Mirri's other quests, then going back and starting her first quest.

ZOS could prevent that from happening by disabling rapport gain or disabling the future quests until the recruitment quest is done properly, but that will likely result in some unanticipated bugs. Besides, the rapport system is one of the main features of the Companions system — it's doubtful ZOS would want to hide rapport quests or disable the rapport system for players who want to quickly unlock Companions, just to prevent weird inconsistencies like there being multiple copies of the same Companion or going back in time from the last quest to the first quest in the Companion's quest line.

Why? There is no need to grind anything for companions on alts. I don't even think we should need to do companion unlock quest more than once per server. This is just extra work for the sake of extra work.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, which is an extremely poor reason considering we can see 100s of companion duplicates following other players around

they could easily implement a thing like the tribute tutorial, and do a bypass for the quest in the vein of "ive already done this before i want to skip it" thing which would be a good alternative to just not forcing us to unlock them per character
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens when there are branching dialogue paths in the recruitment quest, such as with Sharp-as-Night's recruitment quest? Which branch is taken, in the event that both choices change how the characters speak to you in different ways? Further, there are important characters who are mentioned in the recruitment quest for some Companions who the player needs to know about for the later quests to make sense, like Bastian's foster brother.

There's also the issue of how to make sense of recontextualizing each Companion's intro — for example, how would you explain Mirri showing up in the starter city, after her brother had been kidnapped in Blackwood? What motivation does she have to join the player, who never helped her rescue her brother? She references the player helping her rescue her brother in later quests — how would any of that make sense when their intros are completely rewritten?

But all of that is only stored in our brain the first time we do it. After that, we're just clicking through dialogue options at full speed and have no care for continuity errors. (Unless you don't, and for those who want to do it character by character as per the current method, well that's still fine).
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the "branching dialogs" or multiple things that can happen have 0 influence on a companion joining you
    mirris intro quest to unlock her, you can choose to save 1, 2, 3, or none of her friends/family and she will still join you regardless, and never treat you differently depending on what you did, and never reference this again in any of her other rapport quests

i have no interest in even doing the rapport quests a 2nd time on my other characters, i have a few that have isobel with a permanent quest marker over her head, or i have to take the dang quest to even manage her gear or skills
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew you could do a different choice in the Mirri quest, so yes, that is different, but that is the only one I can think of and others noted it has not other impact.

Make the unlock quest get marked as complete for alts. Though as others have noted, having 100s of companions out already kind of negates the concern there. I wouldn't even have the questline available, though having the "skip it" option and just get the companion would match other methods. The XP is minimal and you could even add that just as they do in Cyrodiil, the starting tutorial, etc.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It could be something like if you've recruited that companion at least 3 times you can unlock it on any character (the game would treat it as if you had done the quest, and if there are any slight choices you could just get a pop up asking you). They can give you the option to do the story if you really want to. The additional companion quests & rapport can all be character based. I have 20 toons on NA alone, I really don't want to unlock my healer & tank companion on all of them
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on 27 March 2024 03:24
    FOR THE COVENANT!
    PS NA 2200+ CP
    🦁 Colonel 1 (25)

PS EU 1300+ CP
    🦁 Tribune 2 (28)

PS NA Alt 500+ CP
    🦁 Captain 1 (19)

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)
  • Deserrick
    Deserrick
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t see the problem with having a particular companion out while going through the introductory quest for that companion; I can wear the Black Hand robe while being introduced to the existence of the Dark Brotherhood. Collectibles tend to be unrestricted like that, and fit in with the not-completely-linear-time it’s-all-happening-at-once setting the game has.
    Edited by Deserrick on 27 March 2024 08:06
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    Making the intro quest optional once unlocked once would be nice, it would give those that want to revisit the story a chance and those that just want the unlock the option too. I would also like some way to either turn rapport off or have it account-wide as well. ZoS pls.
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree.

Think the solution is simple (same as suggested by others above).

Companions, once unlocked, are available in the collections menu.

Your unlocked collectables are available account-wide....except companions, making them the odd one out.

So:

Once a companion in unlocked by one character, and thus in your collections book - opening the collections menu on another character and selecting the unlocked companion brings up a dialogue box, allowing you to either:
    1) Start the intro quest on current character (blocking summoning of that companion until while intro quest is active)
    or
    2) Unlock companion for current character (either perma-locks intro quest, or auto-completes intro quest, not sure which would be easier to implement)

Then proceed as system exists in base game

P.S. Allow the crafting system to interact with companion gear in some way! Or at the very least add some more specific ways to obtain companion gear than random drops!
    Also also: Let companions level from quest exp too!
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make them account wide after the first unlock via collectibles.
    Then when you first summon a companion on an alt, just animate the companion portal in and act as an NPC where you need to talk to the companion and he/she will recap the intro quest through dialogue as if your alt has already done it and then completes the intro quest.
    After the recap, the companion will no longer be an NPC and start behaving as normal.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even have all the companions on my main character, let alone alts :sweat_smile: Since rapport is character-based and so they need a separate unlock, a solution would be to either make the quests shorter (Bastian's initial quest is perfect in the regard for example), or have a shortcut in the quest dialogue that allows subsequent characters to skip the rest in subsequent unlocks.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »
    Then when you first summon a companion on an alt, just animate the companion portal in and act as an NPC where you need to talk to the companion and he/she will recap the intro quest through dialogue as if your alt has already done it and then completes the intro quest.
    After the recap, the companion will no longer be an NPC and start behaving as normal.

The are slottable if anyone on the same server unlocked them, they are just not summonable. That would seem to make it an easy fix.
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I don't even have all the companions on my main character, let alone alts :sweat_smile: Since rapport is character-based and so they need a separate unlock, a solution would be to either make the quests shorter (Bastian's initial quest is perfect in the regard for example), or have a shortcut in the quest dialogue that allows subsequent characters to skip the rest in subsequent unlocks.

You wouldn't even need the quest, since they are already slottable/choosable. Just select them and go with them. Set them up with the default Rapport on first use.

And it would not be game killing to have the rapport be across characters.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The are slottable if anyone on the same server unlocked them, they are just not summonable. That would seem to make it an easy fix.

You wouldn't even need the quest, since they are already slottable/choosable. Just select them and go with them. Set them up with the default Rapport on first use.

If rapport was account-wide, then players would only be able to complete the Companion's questline once per account, because the other quests are only made available with high positive rapport in stages. Making quests only available to players once per account would be an objectively worse move than Account-Wide Achievements.

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In other words, you shouldn't be able to bring Ember to unlock Ember. If you could summon Ember on alternate characters without ever having met her, then it wouldn't make sense to be able to have Ember with you as you complete her introductory quest — there would be two Embers.

This is super easily solved by simply adding a "skip" choice in her quest pickup. Just like they did with Tales of Tribute and other things.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If rapport was account-wide, then players would only be able to complete the Companion's questline once per account, because the other quests are only made available with high positive rapport in stages. Making quests only available to players once per account would be an objectively worse move than Account-Wide Achievements.

Why would this be so horrible?

What do I gain rescuing Mirri's mother the 10th or more time?

Not knowing I haven't finished a dungeon on my current character (nor killed the Public Dungeon or Delve boss) is a much worse issue.

I fail to see the massive loss not doing the trite rapport quests would accomplish.
    PC
    PS4/PS5