The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

making gold?

Nocturne Saint
Nocturne Saint
✭✭✭
So I just hit cp160 and got blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing to 50. spent a crap ton of gold on buying intricate items to deconstruct to get there, had 200k now i have 27k.

I don't have all traits yet so i doubt i could make money with crafting.

I need some ways to make gold, need advice badly.
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    Lately I clean up my clothing and jewelry surveys. After refining them, I get decent amounts of dreugh wax and chromium plating. Then I check out the tamrieltradecentre website for current market prices, like dreugh wax currently sells for average 21000 gold a piece and chromium plating for 11000 gold a piece. Selling these through my guild trader has made me millions in a few days with little effort.

Check your inventory for stuff you don't need but could be worth a lot to someone else.
    Edited by Calastir on 13 March 2024 14:39
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • Nocturne Saint
    Nocturne Saint
    ✭✭✭
    Calastir wrote: »
    Lately I clean up my clothing and jewelry surveys. After refining them, I get decent amounts of dreugh wax and chromium plating. Then I check out the tamrieltradecentre website for current market prices, like dreugh wax currently sells for average 21000 gold a piece and chromium plating for 11000 gold a piece. Selling these through my guild trader has made me millions in a few days with little effort.

Check your inventory for stuff you don't need but could be worth a lot to someone else.

what do you mean about cleaning up surveys and refining them?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need a lot of traits to make money crafting. Doing the daily crafting writs will get you some gold directly (and does not require any traits) and also get you crafting surveys which give you lots of materials, and master writs which can either be sold to other players or completed to get writ vouchers which can be used to buy valuable items.

Cleaning up and refining surveys means completing the surveys (going out and finding the materials) then refining the raw materials you get for the chance to get upgrade materials, then selling the resulting materials on a guild trader.

Each master writ will show you exactly what's required to complete it, and it's worth checking before you start because once you consume the item it becomes a quest and can't be sold. Things you'll especially want to look out for are how many traits are required for the set you need to craft and the motif required: both the motifs and the style materials can be expensive and hard to get. Also any with the nirnhoned trait or...some of the jewellery ones but I can't never remember which ones.

If you're not sure you can complete a master writ with what you already have, or you'd rather not risk it yet you could just sell all of them.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Check your bags for any furniture mats you don't need, Heartwood and Mundane Rune are the most expensive, followed by Decorative Wax.

Also style materials that are used in furniture things such as Stendar Stamp, Glass Eyes of Mora, Culanda Lacquer, there are quite a few that people will happily pay good prices for!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    what do you mean about cleaning up surveys and refining them?
    I mean the survey maps you often get as reward from crafting writs. They stack, so if you've got a stack from the same spot just travel to the node they indicate. Once there, you can pick the 6 raw resources and log off and on until they're all spent.

You can refine these raw resources at crafting stations. dreugh wax comes from cloth plants and chromium plating comes from silver seams, and sometimes you just get them as a reward from doing the daily clothing and jewelry writs.
    Edited by Calastir on 13 March 2024 15:22
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • Nocturne Saint
    Nocturne Saint
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    You don't need a lot of traits to make money crafting. Doing the daily crafting writs will get you some gold directly (and does not require any traits) and also get you crafting surveys which give you lots of materials, and master writs which can either be sold to other players or completed to get writ vouchers which can be used to buy valuable items.

Cleaning up and refining surveys means completing the surveys (going out and finding the materials) then refining the raw materials you get for the chance to get upgrade materials, then selling the resulting materials on a guild trader.

Each master writ will show you exactly what's required to complete it, and it's worth checking before you start because once you consume the item it becomes a quest and can't be sold. Things you'll especially want to look out for are how many traits are required for the set you need to craft and the motif required: both the motifs and the style materials can be expensive and hard to get. Also any with the nirnhoned trait or...some of the jewellery ones but I can't never remember which ones.

If you're not sure you can complete a master writ with what you already have, or you'd rather not risk it yet you could just sell all of them.

so i did the daily writs for blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing. but i don't think it gave me any master writs or surveys? and where do i spend my writ vouchers?
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    so i did the daily writs for blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing. but i don't think it gave me any master writs or surveys? and where do i spend my writ vouchers?
    The reward is random. Some days I get no surveys at all, but I've been playing 12 different characters for 3 years now who are all master crafters which increases the chance.

Writ Vouchers can be used to purchase a variety of Furnishings, Furnisher Documents, recipes, and motifs from Rolis Hlaalu and Faustina Curio who can be found at the writ drop-off points in Elden Root, Wayrest or Mournhold.
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

You need to have maximum skill points spent in each craft and quite a few traits researched/recipes(purple/gold) known before master writs drop; for alchemy/enchant all that's required is knowledge of the alchemy/enchant traits which may be a costly initial outlay. For wood, smith, cloth the number of known (complete) motifs(not the blue base race ones) will also slightly increase the rate of master writs to drop.

The amount of gold crafting dailies returns is only affected by character level and maxes out at 50th level so you don't have to worry about having lots of skill pts for these.

Also, doing craft dailies at highest skill level (maximum skill pts spent per craft) gives the highest rate for return fo gold mats like kuta and dreugh wax.

If starting out, I'd suggest just farming, questing and picking up skyshards/skill points and doing craft dailies for gold (at lowest level these are almost self-sufficient in mats returned). Once you have enough skill points you can either go all in or use the armoury to save a few builds (eg crafting, tank, healer, dd etc) so you can make limited skill points stretch further.

Also, don't forget hirelings if you can afford the skill points - once maxed out in all craft skills/hirelings you will generate gold mats for personal use (saving gold) or for selling (making gold); any master writs you get which you don't have the motif knowledge to use can also be sold.

So gold from craft dailies, and gold from selling excess mats/master writs from doing those craft dailies at maximum skill level[eg 10 skill pts spent in smith] with the mximum traits learned and motifs known. The latter two (traits and motifs) will take time but the upcoming anniversary event should help out with some of those motifs.
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    And don't forget to mark helpful comments with an "Insightful", "Agree" or "Awesome" at the downright corner! B)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Train your crafts to 50.
    • Put skill points into the crafting passives that increase chances of getting materials from deconstructing, etc.
    • Put points into the similar crafting Champion Points in the green constellation.
    • Do the daily writs.
    • Collect any surveys you get from turning in writs.
    • Refine the materials you get from the surveys.
    • Do any master writs you get from turning in writs.
    • Sell the crafting mats you get from doing this, especially the gold and purple ones.
    • $$$$$
    I also deconstruct any gear that is worth less than 5k and get mats back from doing this.

You can purchase things with the with vouchers you get from doing the master writs. The quest will tell you where to go to turn these in.
    PCNA
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to make gold is go into a Public dungeon and farm it, sell the stuff you get to a merchant and more value items in a trader.

Daily quest are easy to do and often gives you motifs that sell in traders, if you need help with WB ask in zone chat.

These are not the best way to get gold but its easy to do every day.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructing gear is a net loss, unless the price for the material exceeds the price for simply selling to a regular merchant, minus 2 gold (1 gold each for the trait item and style stone).

Having a lot of alternate toons is the key to a baseline income in ESO. I have eleven toons and make ~100k per day. Without ESO+, btw. And without trying hard. I just sell the excess stuff.

You can do all sorts of daily quests on every toon. Not just crafting. World Boss, Delve and Incursion Dailies give some valuable rewards in DLC zones. Summerset, High Isle and Necrom have sometimes difficult fights, but there are also a lot of guys to help. I am rarely alone and can always ask in zone chat if I fail at a WB. No biggie.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructing gear is a net loss, unless the price for the material exceeds the price for simply selling to a regular merchant, minus 2 gold (1 gold each for the trait item and style stone).

I often get mats from deconstructing that are worth more than I could sell it for to a merchant or on a trader. Also factor in that refining the mats from deconstructing also gives mats.

I do writs on 7 characters, which takes 30 to 45 minutes a day, and sell the mats I get on a trader. Then I go quest or run the Infinite Archive or a dungeon, or whatever I'm in the mood for, and at the end of the day I deconstruct and sell. So most of my time is spent doing things I enjoy and I make a lot of gold.
    Edited by SilverBride on 13 March 2024 18:06
    PCNA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    XSTRONG wrote: »
    One way to make gold is go into a Public dungeon and farm it, sell the stuff you get to a merchant and more value items in a trader.

Daily quest are easy to do and often gives you motifs that sell in traders, if you need help with WB ask in zone chat.

Completely agree. Dungeons and delves are often overlooked sources of gold from selling white gear to vendors. Also good sources of ornate gear. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but selling mats can be incredibly time consuming and not worth the payoff, especially for someone this new to the game at a CP 160.

The best "instant" gold source I have found is running vet Hel Ra. There are a lot of "plunder runs" in group finder where you will get at least 12K gold from plunder alone. I wouldn't recommend going into vet until you are a CP 300 minimum (CP 600 preferred), but once you do, its an ATM if you are hard up for gold
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but selling mats can be incredibly time consuming and not worth the payoff, especially for someone this new to the game at a CP 160.

As I stated above, I only spend 30 to 45 minutes a day doing wits for the mats that I sell on a trader. This is way less time than farming the same place for hours at a time and frees me up to do the things I enjoy.
    Edited by SilverBride on 13 March 2024 18:05
    PCNA
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have pointed out, daily crafting writs are probably the fastest, easiest way to make some gold. Got to have the mats to do them though.

If you're on PC, get the Dolgubon's lazy writ add on. It will do the writs for you. Probably the best, most used add on in the game.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Do not spend your gold on things you could get for free or with a bit of work and time. In this case, intricates. You get them for free completing crafting writs and also from other loot. If you’re in a guild, people very often have these in excess and will gladly send you some if you ask, or may deposit them in the guild bank. I realize this specific advice is too late for you, but it is something to keep in mind going forward.

2) You are unlikely to make much gold my crafting things — completing writs, yes, but if you’re thinking of selling crafted gear or furnishings, that is rarely worth it (granted, there are exceptions, perhaps more than I realize, but it is important to do your research).

3) Gather materials. TES III Morrowind trained me in this and I had to pick and sell a lot of mushrooms to afford the gear, potions, and skill training I wanted! :lol: It is still the best way to reliably make money, as other have already explained in more specifica.
  • Nocturne Saint
    Nocturne Saint
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone posting on zone chat that they were selling stacks of 200 spider eggs.

i know you can farm spider eggs in delves, and you can get beetle skuttle in delves too.

those are alchemy reagents right? how well do they sell?
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're not interested in buying items with writ vouchers, you can get lots of gold from selling the master writs at guild traders.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Füßchen
    Füßchen
    ✭✭
    If you should have problems with inventory/bank slots, it's eventually worth it to do some of the master writs that you have enough traits for and/or that give a lot of vouchers.
    For vouchers you can buy chests from Rolis Hllalu or Faustina Curio (not sure which one of them) for vouchers that you can place in your house and that'll give you 30 or 60 slots to store things in (depending on the size, there are 2 sizes and you can buy a maximum of 4 from each size).
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I just hit cp160 and got blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing to 50. spent a crap ton of gold on buying intricate items to deconstruct to get there, had 200k now i have 27k.

I don't have all traits yet so i doubt i could make money with crafting.

I need some ways to make gold, need advice badly.

How many characters do you have? Even running crafting dailies on a single character will bring in some gold. More so with several.

Learning all traits is fairly trivial, except maybe for Ninrhoned stuff.

Not sure where you play, but ask in your guild for people to make things for you to research and you should be able to get all but the expensive Nirn stuff.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Füßchen wrote: »
    If you should have problems with inventory/bank slots, it's eventually worth it to do some of the master writs that you have enough traits for and/or that give a lot of vouchers.
    For vouchers you can buy chests from Rolis Hllalu or Faustina Curio (not sure which one of them) for vouchers that you can place in your house and that'll give you 30 or 60 slots to store things in (depending on the size, there are 2 sizes and you can buy a maximum of 4 from each size).

Console really needs a way to tell if you know the traits and have the trait mats for Master Writs. Far too difficult there now.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Füßchen wrote: »

Console really needs a way to tell if you know the traits and have the trait mats for Master Writs. Far too difficult there now.

Not difficult, just time consuming.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often get mats from deconstructing that are worth more than I could sell it for to a merchant or on a trader...
    That's correct for Jewelry and the valuable style stones and maybe purple/gold upgrade mats. Nothing else is worth the bother, because the style stones that cannot be used for crafting furnishings are taking forever to turn around. And for what? 80 gold a piece? No thanks. Blue and green upgrade mats are cheap as ... . No use for those, either.
    Besides, most dropped gear is in the ten base racial styles. Only DLC Overland gear drops in good styles sometimes. And mostly only one out of the three sets per zone.
    But neither upgrade mats nor style stones are guaranteed as a drop. RnG is a fickle mistress.

For example, the only sets that I deem worthy to decon are (with PCEU prices for the style stones):
    Steadfast Mettle for Stendarr Stamps at 11k pp
    Darloc Brae and Undertaker for Shimmering Sand at 3,3k pp
    Frostbite for Ivory Brigade Clasp at 5,5k pp
    I only decon these because the gain is worth the hassle and the percentage.
    You can also try for Funerary Wrappings from all Telvanni PI sets, but the World Bosses are very difficult and the Incursion Event for that zone is Bastion Nymic. So, bähh! All for 1,1k pp of Wrapping.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often get mats from deconstructing that are worth more than I could sell it for to a merchant or on a trader...
    That's correct for Jewelry and the valuable style stones and maybe purple/gold upgrade mats. Nothing else is worth the bother...

All I can say is I've made a LOT of gold doing this.
    PCNA
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely agree. Dungeons and delves are often overlooked sources of gold from selling white gear to vendors. Also good sources of ornate gear. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but selling mats can be incredibly time consuming and not worth the payoff, especially for someone this new to the game at a CP 160.

The best "instant" gold source I have found is running vet Hel Ra. There are a lot of "plunder runs" in group finder where you will get at least 12K gold from plunder alone. I wouldn't recommend going into vet until you are a CP 300 minimum (CP 600 preferred), but once you do, its an ATM if you are hard up for gold

How long does it take to run vet Hel Ra for plunder run?

I do Arc 1 and 2 Solo in Infinite Archive in 30 mins, even if I skip Secret rooms to save time and just kill the Marauder and Treasure Goblin in Arc 2 i get enough to buy 5k gold plus i get treasure and stuff so im up about 8000-10000 Gold in 30 mins solo. If 2 dps you could cut that time down with several mins but hard to find someone that want to run Arc 1 and 2 over and over for 8k-10k gold lol
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct for Jewelry and the valuable style stones and maybe purple/gold upgrade mats. Nothing else is worth the bother...

In one specific public dungeon with the companion mirri and if im alone in the dungeon i make 25.000-30.000 Gold per hour just selling every thing to merchant and still saving value items for trading.

After jewelry update im also selling Green and blue jewelry to merchant, purple i can still get sold in trader.

Edit: I of course get gold from the monsters and chest to
    Edited by XSTRONG on 15 March 2024 16:52
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In one specific public dungeon with the companion mirri and if im alone in the dungeon i make 25.000-30.000 Gold per hour just selling every thing to merchant and still saving value items for trading.

After jewelry update im also selling Green and blue jewelry to merchant, purple i can still get sold in trader.

If this is enjoyable to the player then that is all fine, but I personally hate spending my game time farming so I don't. It would take someone making 25k to 30k an hour 10 to 12 hours to make what I do in less than an hour.
    Edited by SilverBride on 15 March 2024 17:21
    PCNA
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is enjoyable to the player then that is all fine, but I personally hate spending my game time farming so I don't. It would take someone making 25k to 30k an hour 10 to 12 hours to make what I do in less than an hour.

Hate spend your time farming? Hmm.

Whats the diffrence from farming a dungeon to get items or run around in a city for 3 mins to craft items in a mmo? [snip]

I do my writs and still farm stuff daily, I was just sharing a tip to the thread starter and im to lazy to read back but did he write somewhere hes on pc? 30k is alot more on console.

We all know crafters get XP and gold way to easy in this game already!

Edit: You also seems to assume a 160cp player have 10 chars with leveld crafting?

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 15 March 2024 18:14
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also seems to assume a 160cp player have 10 chars with leveld crafting?

In my tips I stated to get all crafts to 50 and put points into crafting passives and CP. I also never said this would work for a new low level character and was responding to the OP who stated they are CP 160.

I also only do this on 7 characters, not 10, and I was still making a good amount when I was only using 5.
    PCNA