The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Where are all the children?

Vargr
Vargr
✭✭
As the title says where are all the children, babies, and pregnant women/mer? The closest I can find are argonian eggs which as far as i can tell hatch as full adults. What horrible cataclysm took place that wiped out all the children? I can't be the only one to have noticed this!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 20 January 2024 04:27
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There’s teenage Altmer but they look like scrawny adults. I’m sure there’s some kind of reason as to why there’s no children but yeah I’ve noticed.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vargr wrote: »
    As the title says where are all the children, babies, and pregnant women/mer?

Wo-mer? :D

Well, I'm sure they're hiding in all those locked buildings you cannot enter. Who on Nirn would let their children play outside during the Planemeld, and with vampires, dragons, Apocryphal creatures and whatnot around?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vargr wrote: »
    As the title says where are all the children, babies, and pregnant women/mer? The closest I can find are argonian eggs which as far as i can tell hatch as full adults. What horrible cataclysm took place that wiped out all the children? I can't be the only one to have noticed this!

Its a game
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    Because someone would run around Blade of Woeing them all
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it has something to do with that one guy who collects donations for the "war orphans" every new life festival. I never trusted him. >_> <_< >_>
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it has something to do with that one guy who collects donations for the "war orphans" every new life festival. I never trusted him. >_> <_< >_>

You may not trust him, but there is no denying that he is fantastically wealthy by now.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find it disturbing that so many people are fixated on this. (your thread is far from being the first on the topic, OP.)

This isn't a Sims game; it doesn't have to be a direct analog of real-life.

Let. It. Go.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's a huge misunderstanding and in the Altmer language, "orphan" refers to everyone whose parents have already died (which might apply to, for example, old guys asking for orphan donations).
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      I find it disturbing that so many people are fixated on this. (your thread is far from being the first on the topic, OP.)

They always ask for children, but I rarely see people suggesting an update that requires the player character to use toilets - for realism and immersion!!
      @Syldras | PC | EU
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Syldras wrote: »
      I rarely see people suggesting an update that requires the player character to use toilets - for realism and immersion!!

They don't pop up as often, but there have been a few of those (too many) in my time here.
      Edited by Grizzbeorn on 18 January 2024 19:23
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • disky
        disky
        ✭✭✭

Let. It. Go.

I understand the point, personally. Kids existed in Skyrim, no reason they couldn't exist in ESO with similar "essential" mechanics. Not that ESO and Skyrim are anywhere near the same, but from a world and content perspective, they could exist, and I feel like non-adults do make the game feel a little more realistic. Because of course there would be kids in the world, somewhere, and it just feels a little odd that they're nowhere to be found.

But the more important question, as far as I'm concerned, is why are all the goblins so...human-sized.
      • Syldras
        Syldras
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I rarely see people suggesting an update that requires the player character to use toilets - for realThey don't pop up as often, but there have been a few of those (too many) in my time here.

Just adding toilets to buildings or actually using them? I think the first would make sense, but I can live very well without the second.

What I'd love would be usable beds in housing, though.

Edited by Syldras on 18 January 2024 19:28
        @Syldras | PC | EU
      • ArchangelIsraphel
        ArchangelIsraphel
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Maybe it's a huge misunderstanding and in the Altmer language, "orphan" refers to everyone whose parents have already died (which might apply to, for example, old guys asking for orphan donations).

War on Cyrodiil getting you down? Have you lost a parent, guardian, or wolf that raised you in a cave in the middle of nowhere within the last 1000 years? You too may be eligible for financial compensation! Send a letter by courier to:

Ormurrel
        Temple of the Eight, Grahtwood
        Courtesy of the TotallyNotAScam Foundation
        Legends never die
        Legends never die
      • Nihilr
        Nihilr
        ✭✭✭
        I do wish they had kids just because the dialogue for some in Skyrim was humorous:

"Boys. Girls. Dogs. Elders--THERE AIN'T NOBODY I WON'T FIGHT!!" --Braith, Whiterun

Just make them spunky, untargetable npcs. 🤷‍♀️
        Edited by Nihilr on 18 January 2024 19:59
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        We've been fine for 10 year without children in the game and I am uncomfortable with the idea of adding them.
        PCNA
      • Elvenheart
        Elvenheart
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Under the stairs.
      • ArchangelIsraphel
        ArchangelIsraphel
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        We've been fine for 10 year without children in the game and I am uncomfortable with the idea of adding them.

This. Very much this.
        Legends never die
        Legends never die
      • gusthermopyle
        gusthermopyle
        ✭✭
        I always liked coming home to my house in Skyrim and bringing the kids a toy or a little gift. If you gave them a dagger and had a target dummy at home they would go off and stab it :)

Why not have this in ESO? It was cutein Skyrim and made a house feel more like a home.
      • Castagere
        Castagere
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        It prevents child murder.
      • ArchMikem
        ArchMikem
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Soarora wrote: »
        There’s teenage Altmer but they look like scrawny adults. I’m sure there’s some kind of reason as to why there’s no children but yeah I’ve noticed.

There's also a Teenage Khajiit in Anequina, as well as Hildegard in the Dark Brotherhood, but yeah, just scaled down adult character models. ZOS never made actual child models, probably cause putting kids into the game would invoke...questionable behavior from players.
        Castagere wrote: »
        It prevents child murder.

ZOS would just have to make them immortal objects that you can't target.
        Edited by ArchMikem on 18 January 2024 20:53
        CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
        Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
      • Pixiepumpkin
        Pixiepumpkin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I have no problem with this, children would make the game feel more alive.
        "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
        PC/NA
      • ZOS_Hadeostry
        Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's lore related.

Thank you for your understanding
        Staff Post
      • SeaGtGruff
        SeaGtGruff
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        It's because of Kindergarten Nord. He scared all of the kids and their parents so badly that parents all over Tamriel now keep their children safely out of sight at home. Well, except for the parents in Skyrim, because... you know... they're Nord parents and Nord kids.
        I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
      • Vaqual
        Vaqual
        ✭✭✭✭
        Childhood is an interesting stage in life since a child is comparatively defenseless, inexperienced and impressionable. This opens up ways to set up plots that would make a lot less sense for adult characters (saving imbeciles is annoying). Also they are useful to believably increase the emotional gravity of a situation. And lastly, as has been said already, it would be good for immersion.

I remember how long people were asking for female dwarfes in LotRO and at some point everyone thought that ship had sailed. But then they just did it and introduced them. The first ones where pretty bad, but they did it nevertheless. I don't see what the problem would be really. Babies could literally be non-interactable world decorations/furnishings or part of the mother-NPCs mesh.
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Vaqual wrote: »
        I remember how long people were asking for female dwarfes in LotRO and at some point everyone thought that ship had sailed. But then they just did it and introduced them.

They introduced adult female dwarfs, not children. Huge difference.
        PCNA
      • Pixiepumpkin
        Pixiepumpkin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I remember how long people were asking for female dwarfes in LotRO and at some point everyone thought that ship had sailed. But then they just did it and introduced them.

In context it's not about adults vs chidren, it's about the developers implementing a requested addition to the game. In this example, there is no difference.
        "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
        PC/NA
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

In context it's not about adults vs chidren, it's about the developers implementing a requested addition to the game. In this example, there is no difference.

There is a huge difference. Children are vulnerable in ways that adults aren't. Bringing children into this game would open a huge can of worms and make a lot of players uncomfortable.
        PCNA
      • Pixiepumpkin
        Pixiepumpkin
        ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge difference. Children are vulnerable in ways that adults aren't. Bringing children into this game would open a huge can of worms and make a lot of players uncomfortable.

But that is not the argument. You asserted that there is a huge difference between female dwarves and children, but the argument is not about female dwarves vs children, its about requsting changes/additions to the game.

In LOTR female dwarves were requested by the community and implemented in game.
        In ESO some of the community requests that children be implemeted in game.

Its the same thing, no difference.
        PC/NA
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

But that is not the argument. You asserted that there is a huge difference between female dwarves and children, but the argument is not about female dwarves vs children, its about requsting changes/additions to the game.

It is very different. All requests and suggestions are not equally reasonable.

I am frankly disturbed that this is even being suggested.
        Edited by SilverBride on 21 January 2024 17:44
        PCNA
      • Pixiepumpkin
        Pixiepumpkin
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Again. In context this is not about the difference between children and female dwarves, this is about players communicating to the development team their wishes/desires. In this context, there is no difference.

PC/NA
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Again. In context this is not about the difference between children and female dwarves, this is about players communicating to the development team their wishes/desires. In this context, there is no difference.

The context of the suggestion does matter. So let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
        Edited by SilverBride on 21 January 2024 18:53
        PCNA