Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How do you make gold? I want me a horse!

Heindrich
Heindrich
✭✭✭✭✭
It was rather demoralising to find that horses cost over 17K gold... when I've only managed to make 200 or so thus far and enemies seem to drop them 1 or 2 coins at a time.

How long is it supposed to take to have that kinda gold? And how should I go about earning it?

I'd like to explore the great outdoors, but I rather hate footslogging it, mostly for roleplay reasons cos I think it's hugely unrealistic to trek regularly across countries by foot. In Skyrim a horse was the first thing I bought, and I didn't leave White Run until I had one for myself and Lydia (mod for follower horse).
In fact before I could afford a second horse for Lydia, I left her behind when I left town to do the quests near the city, cos I couldn't stand the thought of her running on foot after me. lol

I didn't buy the Imperial Edition cos I didn't particularly want to play Imperial and I don't plan to play competitively, so I didn't need the Rings of Mara xp bonuses. But if it's gonna take me weeks to afford a horse... I may have to look into upgrading...

• LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    Upgrading might be your fastest option...or farm, farm, farm...then sell,sell,sell.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been vendoring everything I pick up... whether I think ill need it or not. Thems the breaks.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    My main was mid 20s by the time she could afford a horse.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    ahonma_ESO wrote: »

I had the imperial addition horsey. Making me glad that I did after seeing the prices of other horses.
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its typical of MMOs to force you to go on foot in the lower levels. Some of them actually have level restraints for using a mount. As for making gold. Your best option is to do the quests, sell items to vendors and farm consumables/mats for the Trade Guilds. Mobs at lower levels drop at best 2 gold near level 10. So youre going to have a hard time getting that 17k gold before you leave the low level areas.
    Believe it or not. The Imperial Horse is not that great. Its more of a RP tool then an actual improvement to your speed. Its a rather sluggish old steed rather then a healthy mustang.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damnit... had I known I probably wud've just bought the Imperial Edition. I don't think u can ugrade until 04/04 if u've bought the standard edition.

Oh well... better get used to trekking for a bit.

By the way, anyone else found the camera angle a bit weird? I've been playing Skyrim and got used to having the camera straight behind the character.
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not. The Imperial Horse is not that great. Its more of a RP tool then an actual improvement to your speed. Its a rather sluggish old steed rather then a healthy mustang.

Heh, yeah, I don't have one, and watching people overtake you, soooo slowly, is rather amusing.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Well, with the limited play time I have had so far I have purchased one bank upgrade, one bag upgrade, 20 petty soul gems, 10 minor soul gems, and have about 6k gold saved to go towards my horse. In my experience the best money in PvE comes from completing quests and selling the reward loot.

But mostly my money has come from PvP. When you complete a quest, capture a keep, defend a keep, or just kill enough enemies you get a reward of Alliance Points, some gold, and a random magic item based on your current level. If you support your alliance, your alliance supports you.

Edit for spelling
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on 2 April 2014 11:46
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Heindrich wrote: »
    Damnit... had I known I probably wud've just bought the Imperial Edition. I don't think u can ugrade until 04/04 if u've bought the standard edition.

Oh well... better get used to trekking for a bit.

By the way, anyone else found the camera angle a bit weird? I've been playing Skyrim and got used to having the camera straight behind the character.

Hmm I haven't really tried it, I play in 1st person view. Which is weird because I HATE that view in any other game but elder scrolls. Ill mess around with it and see if the game ever comes back up.
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • SpasticSpringbok
    Refined jute (not raw jute) - Sells to a vendor for about 400g for a stack of 100
    Iron Ingots (not iron ore) - Sells to vendor for about 400g for a stack of 100

There is heaps of ore and plants all over the starting areas, you don't need to buy a tool to harvest them, just activate it, they take about 5 seconds to harvest and provide a solid income at low levels.

Jute is a green bush with yellow flowers, iron ore is a brownish copper lump usually found near rocks/cliffs.

(edit - im level 6 - i have 4600g) just from doing the above!
    Edited by SpasticSpringbok on 2 April 2014 11:46
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    No...you *think* you want a horse. :p You will be riding along and randomly dismount (fairly often), they are hardly faster than running on foot anyway (15%-20% run speeds), and you miss a lot of treasure chests and harvestables from the view point of being up higher when you're on them.

I have the Imperial Edition, but the best part of the white horse was learning it only cost my 1 cent to figure out that horses aren't really too useful or worthwhile. Had it cost me 17k gold to figure that out....Ouch.
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    I should make it clear that while I was in my mid 20s, I had done three bag upgrades and one bank upgrade, and didn't make any effort to make money off my fellow players.

I strongly suspect that Zenimax is likely targeting level 20 for the typical level one is able to purchase a horse "organically".
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a word of advice. DON'T VENDOR YOUR ITEMS! You WILL get SOME money that way, but with the game being as new as it is, if you break ALL your gear down, and harvest every node you can find, you can advertise over zone chat that you are selling crafting material. Players will pay you a HECK of a lot more than the venders do. I don't know the price right now of cloth and leather, but those are the most sought after materials. Also specific runes can fetch quite a bit, as some can be quite rare.

Keep your eyes on the chat to see what people are trying to sell their mats for.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    Here is a word of advice. DON'T VENDOR YOUR ITEMS! You WILL get SOME money that way, but with the game being as new as it is, if you break ALL your gear down, and harvest every node you can find, you can advertise over zone chat that you are selling crafting material. Players will pay you a HECK of a lot more than the venders do. I don't know the price right now of cloth and leather, but those are the most sought after materials. Also specific runes can fetch quite a bit, as some can be quite rare.

Keep your eyes on the chat to see what people are trying to sell their mats for.

Sound advice. was just about to write this myself.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    The imperial horse is really not a speed upgrade, as has been said.

In terms of income, the trade-off is between gathering/refining/deconstructing on the one hand, and vendoring, on the other. You'll make a lot more cash if you vendor all loot you are not using, and gather/refine ore and jute -- saving nothing for crafting, and deconstructing nothing for crafting. You won't have any crafting mats, of course, but you will have more cash. Same holds true for selling on the guild store -- it nets you cash (if it sells), but not the mats from deconstructing.

If you are trying to save crafting mats up, you will lose cash (and also take up a huge amount of bank space thanks to all of the different mats when it comes to the "add ons" to the basic mats), but you will have a basis for crafting.

So it really depends on whether you want the cash or the mats -- can't really have both at once, as is the case in many MMOs, in the early going of crafting.
    Edited by knightblaster on 2 April 2014 12:05
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    Here is a list of what i have been selling and the prices i have been getting. I am currently level 18 and have 42k gold

Iron Ingots (not ore, i salvage all ore) - 12g per
    Steel Ingots - 25g per (higher if there are none in the guild store up to 100g per)
    Orichalc - 100g+
    Pitch - 100g
    Turpen - 600g+
    Hemmling - 150g
    Enbonthread - 1k
    Blue cooking rec. - 500g+

I have wood, cloth, hide, and a few other blacksmith items, but i have not been selling them yet. I only sell in stacks of 100 on the ingots, and i have had no trouble selling anything yet. Usually my items sell within 1 hour of posting them. I did sell a stack of steel ingots for 10k gold yesterday, but i think that price will decline extremely fast. Expect to get 2500 - 5000 per stack for the next few weeks. Now as far as i know i am the only one selling Orichalc (that i have seen) and people have been paying whatever i want.

I would keep most of your green and up crafting ingredients, once you get to level 50 you will want a lot of these to trade for other stuff you need, and to give to crafters to make the stuff you want.

Hope this helps :)

- Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • Dorado
    Dorado
    They already announced a cash shop with a horse in it. If you only want the horse, you may end up spending $5 instead of $20 to upgrade to Imperial edition.
  • linuxfueled
    linuxfueled
    Soul Shriven
    By the time I was level 10 I had acquired nearly 15k, its very easy to do so if you are determined, and put effort into it.
  • TheAurelian
    Its typical of MMOs to force you to go on foot in the lower levels. Some of them actually have level restraints for using a mount. As for making gold. Your best option is to do the quests, sell items to vendors and farm consumables/mats for the Trade Guilds. Mobs at lower levels drop at best 2 gold near level 10. So youre going to have a hard time getting that 17k gold before you leave the low level areas.
    Reminds me of perfect world

“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost...." -Hiromu Arakawa-
  • keifer76
    keifer76
    A great way to go about it is to mine and make weapons and sell them, you can make quite a bit of money that way, also if you get blacksmithing up get the hireling to get ores for you daily :) hope this helps you. Same goes for woodworking or any skill used to create. start a guild and open a guild store to sell things, I believe you need at least 10 ppl in order to do this though.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a horse in beta - not worth it. It's just so slow. Probably not even worth getting the cheaper one because it takes 50 days and a lot of gold to get it up to full speed and even then it's 10% slower than the more expensive one. I've decided to wait until I can afford a decent one straight off the bat.
    - If it's really cheap in the store - then maybe...
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    If i did not spend to respect my character twice......

I could have around 20K by now at level 18.

Quests and quests....you can always craft food (in an insanely huge amount), potions and gylphs and sell those you do not need.....
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    If you are worried about not being able to level your crafting because you don't have any mats, don't worry. From what I understand, you actually get more experience in breaking things down then you do in making new ones. By the time you get the money you want, and you want to make equipment for yourself, your crafting level shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you aren't missing much with the Imperial Horse. It's rather slow, and not worth upgrading. Most players will be upgrading their horses to a higher tiered one before they actually spend the time feeding them.
    Edited by Kyosji on 2 April 2014 13:43
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭

The more you zoom out the more centered it gets. It's annoying, but I've found a good zoom level to have me nearly centered, but not too far zoomed out. The upside, I run in first person, and when I mount, it remembers my zoom to keep me center, so I don't have to redo it every time.

I still only use my horse here and there. When I'm running around an area doing stuff, questing/gathering/etc), I just stay on foot. I only mount up when I'm running a distance between areas.
  • TheAurelian
    Censorious wrote: »
    I had a horse in beta - not worth it. It's just so slow. Probably not even worth getting the cheaper one because it takes 50 days and a lot of gold to get it up to full speed and even then it's 10% slower than the more expensive one. I've decided to wait until I can afford a decent one straight off the bat.
    - If it's really cheap in the store - then maybe...
    It's quite a bit faster in the long run but even though I have the imperial edition I rarely use it as there are so many mobs, resources, and beautiful settings to take in that it doesn't seem worth it to rush by unless you're really focused on moving quickly.
    “Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost...." -Hiromu Arakawa-
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skjlvald wrote: »
    ahonma_ESO wrote: »

I had the imperial addition horsey. Making me glad that I did after seeing the prices of other horses.

You do realize it is just a standard horse in white for 1 gold in game and costed you real world money right?

We have seen the prices of horses in the beta events, like a typical TES game, vendors are super prices and you get ripped off every time (lol).

The "best" horses are in the 42K range......

I would probably never get a horse, i have a feeling that players will be able to buy/build a home (fingers crossed) and id rather save for that or save for more bag spaces and bank spaces.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Dahlia_Bristow
    Honestly, unless you save for one of the pricier models, you're not going to get around faster than you do on foot. I have the Imperial horse and am "feeding" it for extra storage slots. I don't really use it all that much because I can outrun it, and the time spent mounting and dismounting puts it further on the negative side of extra speed. I'm not unhappy, I knew this was how they worked so I'm saving for one of the pricier models which I'll feed for speed. At any rate, I hope this helps you (OP) to feel less deprived.
  • Hellsaint
    Hellsaint
    ✭✭✭
    Generally mounts are obtained later in MMOs and restricted by level, I actually like what has been done with ESO because anyone can technically still own a horse, but generally you will only have enough to buy one later in the game. Keeps the convention but prevents restriction.
    "Nords are so serious about beards. So many beards. M'aiq thinks they wish they had glorious manes like Khajiit."
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to explore the great outdoors, but I rather hate footslogging it, mostly for roleplay reasons cos I think it's hugely unrealistic to trek regularly across countries by foot.
    Where the heck are you ropleplaying, Walmart?

"Footslogging it" is the natural movement mode of the h*m* sapiens(seriously ZeniMax?).

The bushmen in Africa routinely footslog their prey into exhaustion.
    Marathon IS the human "animal superpower".

And apart from that you miss mats constantly when not on foot, especially important in the early levels.
    The mounting/unmounting animation delay alone would drive me crazy.

If you´re not actively engaged in PvP then you don´t need a frikken horse at all. You know that wayshrine to wayshrine travel is free, right?
    Edited by Rotherhans on 2 April 2014 14:21
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • zer0_sum
    zer0_sum
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hardest part with making money is the lack of auction house. There are a few trade guilds out there that are trying to be that. Just join one of those, you can be in up to 5 guilds. Use the guild store for that. I think it's dumb thing to do honestly, I don't like guilds and frankly rarely if ever join one. I don't like the thought of having to be in a guild to sell things.