Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

PC EU starts lagging more than ever.

• Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "upgraded hardware" trial has expired, now since it was big success new servers has been transferred to other more profitable tasks.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    The "upgraded hardware" trial has expired, now since it was big success new servers has been transferred to other more profitable tasks.
    ZOS forgot to renew Server+.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a windows terminal command to diagnose connection:
    tracert ip-address or host-name

It will show full path to the server and where lag happens.
    I have no lag these days, stable 84 ms.
    Edited by ixthUA on 28 May 2023 14:22
    Options
  • Bjoerdr
    Bjoerdr
    ✭✭
    I'm having the same issues since the last update,

The involved IP seems to be actual for me ( checked the established connections of the game client )

Whenever the client establishes a connection to this IP I'm getting these exploding ping-/latency times and it's becoming unplayable:(

Options
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA, this could help if something is wrong with internet provider or internet backbone provider
    For this case there is a better tool for Windows than TRACERT and this is Ping Plotter 5 Free
    it shows not only latency, but the percentage of packets dropped by a router

The issue is when unstable or laggy connection is not the internet fault
    While my ICMP ping to PC EU is about 50 mS, the game client shows 120 mS,
    as there is a latency added by server, processing players' input and queuing the response.
    You can have beautiful ping and tracert, but still noticeable lags in the game, not because of internet, but because of server.

As the issues are sporadic this may be whatever:
    cold joint, damaged wiring, leaky capacitors, load balancer misconfiguration, erroreous or very slow media, faulty network card, software conflicts, program looping, library modules failing and restarting..
    the issues hard to troubleshoot as they are not permanent and may have very different sources of such behaviour
    PC EU
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was server-side - everyone would feel the lag. Since its only few people lagging, it must be the connection path.
    For PC-EU, ESO connects to 2 IP addresses: 23.64.12.26 and 159.100.232.156
    wo05ky9fdwjv.png
    ws4cq7lya7or.png
    No lag for me, not in game, not in connection.
    Options
  • Bjoerdr
    Bjoerdr
    ✭✭
    i agree @DinoZavr

Tracert isnt the right tool for this actual problem ....

i can only say at this moment that whenever my pings ( those in game shown ) are exploding, my game client has a connection to the ip 159.100.232.156

Edited by Bjoerdr on 28 May 2023 20:19
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    If it was server-side - everyone would feel the lag. Since its only few people lagging, it must be the connection path.
    wo05ky9fdwjv.png
    ws4cq7lya7or.png
    Not true. When one of the pieces of server hardware is broken/starting to break down, none of the other server hardware is affected. And our connection to the server has no effect on this, my connection to ESO is flawless as well. So only those who end up in an instance created on the failing server hardware piece will experience the lag/delay. This way many players could be unaffected, and even I was unaffected in most instances. Today I was doing stormhaven and rivenspire, no issues at all. But when I went to vivec to do my crafting dailies, I was placed on the failing server hardware, and was lagging like crazy: 700+ ping, 2 second delay on anything I did. Once I left there again, no issues anymore.

This issue has actually happened before, so I know it won't take long before this piece of serverhardware fully breaks down. Which will fix the problem. I just hope it will be fast, so the necrom expansion does not start on PC EU with an ongoing issue like this.

People being disconnected or having regular lag/delay as they always do, are completely different issues.

PS: Server hardware isn't one piece of equipment, it usually has dozens if not more pieces(hundreds).
    PPS: You yourself could probably also experience this server issue, if you instance hop to different instances enough times.
    Edited by Sarannah on 28 May 2023 16:01
    Options
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on server-farms you usually have a frontend or edge-node and backends or data-nodes. A typical setup for Hadoop-Clusters (Hadoop is a distributed filesystem to store data).
    What a traceroute will see, is the frontend/edgenode (or a loadbalancer before two of them).

So your traceroute can be perfect, but if the datanodes containing the stored data are corrupt, you will encounter random performance issues.
    I work in a company using such big data technologies. We recently had an issue that was hard to track down, caused by incompatibilities of the server firmware with the RAM modules in the servers. It sometimes - but not on all nodes - caused extreme lag on datanodes. Even worse, it got apparent months after the last upgrade, triggered by a minor resource configuration change in one of the software parts running there. A firmware update finally fixed it.
    So it definately can be a serverside issue.
    If I remember well, the last larger issue with ESO for *some*, not all people was a broken network card or switch.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on 28 May 2023 16:19
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bjoerdr wrote: »
    i agree @DinoZavr

i can only say at this moment that whenever my pings ( those in game shown ) are exploding, my game client has a connection to the ip 192.168.232.156
    If there is lag, the first step is to check connection to the server, tracert does that.
    192.168.xx is your local router IP.
    If you dont like tracert, here is a more advanced tool: WinMTR-Redux
    xam8f8p0nppn.png
    Sunday evening, lots of people playing, so there is even a packet loss to the server.
    I just went to vivec city, 104 ms, no delay in actions (checked guild traders). How come?

Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i agree @DinoZavr

i can only say at this moment that whenever my pings ( those in game shown ) are exploding, my game client has a connection to the ip 192.168.232.156
    If there is lag, the first step is to check connection to the server, tracert does that.
    192.168.xx is your local router IP.
    If you dont like tracert, here is a more advanced tool: WinMTR-Redux
    xam8f8p0nppn.png
    Sunday evening, lots of people playing, so there is even a packet loss to the server.
    I just went to vivec city, 104 ms, no delay in actions (checked guild traders). How come?
    There could be multiple pieces of server hardware housing multiple instances of vivec city. Which there probably are. And it is also a matter of where ZOS allows which instances to be created. This is somewhat complicated to explain. Yesterday I had no issues in vivec either, but there was one delve in stormhaven where I was having these server issues.

Analogy: You have to travel by train. Before you is a train with 200 seats, but only one seat has gum on it. Every passenger has to sit down in a free seat. There is a small chance you may end up sitting in the gum seat right away, due to going to sit in the wrong place. But if the other 199 seats without gum are already taken, you will always get to sit in the gum.
    Train = server, gum = lag/delay, seat = instance, passenger = player. Sorry, did not know how else to explain this without mathing like crazy.
    Options
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing similar thing here. Sometimes fine, but sometimes will jump from 60-80ms up to 300-600+ (PC EU)
    Options
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should add that checking my connection at the times this is happening, it is stable, so something on the ESO side rather than local.
    Options
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    i agree @DinoZavr

That's not a routable IP, meaning it's used for internal networks.

Either way, the ping in game and ping (or traceroute which also uses ICMP packets) are two different things. The in-game ping uses the connection to the server that should be feeding it data and is therefore the only good measurement. ICMP packets are lightweight and dealt with as close to the OS as possible with little to no resources needed. The service that runs the game however can be malperforming, even though the computer it runs on is fine.All traceroute or ping are good for is to rule out that the problem is in between you and the game, rather than the performance of the game.
    Options
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    BG is a total mess atm. I play on PC EU and the most annoying lag is after breaking free your character can't do anything for another second so every stun you get from your opponents is actually longer than intended for the skill.

You also die in a weird way, it seems everything is ok then you get hit with multiple burst attacks and BOOM your dead. No chance whatsoever to counter it.

What the hell are you doing over there ZOS?
    Options
  • Bjoerdr
    Bjoerdr
    ✭✭
    Damn copy paste ... you 're right @Gnesnig
    its really not the 192.. :)

It's still the first mentioned
    Tracert und pings are fine, but this ip is always envolved when i get those massive lag/pings/latency shown in game.
    All other ips my client has actual used were fine.

Edited by Bjoerdr on 28 May 2023 21:08
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    x
    Damn copy paste ... you 're right @Gnesnig
    its really not the 192.. :)

It's still the first mentioned
    Tracert und pings are fine, but this ip is always envolved when i get those massive lag/pings/latency shown in game.
    All other ips my client has actual used were fine.
    Indeed. Here's a ping from Ireland to that IP with a simultaneous ping to a similar IP-address:
    nkbsm6w0v4re.png
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrtoobyy wrote: »
    BG is a total mess atm. I play on PC EU and the most annoying lag is after breaking free your character can't do anything for another second so every stun you get from your opponents is actually longer than intended for the skill.

I don't think that has anything to do with lag, break free is just currently broken like that. In the previous patch, it would disable ability animations for a second or two after breaking free, so you could still do things, you just wouldn't see what. Now you actually can't do anything.

As for ping, for me it was fine at the beginning of the week but started deteriorating around friday. Sunday was a complete S-show, with the ping jumping between 60 and 500 or even 800. Even doing an rnd was painful. I know for a fact it had nothing to do with my Internet connection.

Edited by amig186 on 29 May 2023 07:03
    PC EU
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "An error has occurred..." booted out to log in. I wasn't even doing anything, just running along a path!

Followed by the good old "This account is already logged in..."

Booted for "Inactivity in the lobby", before I even got to character selection...
    Options
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altyrann wrote: »
    Seeing similar thing here. Sometimes fine, but sometimes will jump from 60-80ms up to 300-600+ (PC EU)

This issue happening to me today. Never had that problem before.
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    I have absolutely 0 lag.

I have however been feeling the server boots. Happened to me numerous times during the event, and recently. Its why I am reinstalling other games right now in fact. I dont want to be booted for picking a smurfing flower, or catching a fish. Lol
    Getting disconnected, especially in overland, is usually a playerside connection issue. Make sure your connection is 100% stable. I often see players around me walk like they are teleporting very small distances again and again, making me know there is a very high chance they will be disconnected once they start doing something in-game. These players do not have stable connections, connections which have 100% uninterrupted uptime. The reason the server kicks these players, is to force them to log back in, making the client run in sync with the server again.

Players often think their connection is stable, because very few programs actually require a stable connection. Most programs don't mind a microsecond of disconnection here and there, they will simply continue working. MMO's however, require a connection to stay active at all times. There are multiple solutions on both this forum and the internet to try and troubleshoot the issue, hopefully you will get this fixed.

But this is a totally different/unrelated issue from the one discussed in this thread.

I am currently playing fallout76, halo infinite MP, and several other online games. None are having this issue. Yesterday I tried to even play a little, and even going to the bank was catastrophic. Straight back to fallout 76, no issues.
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wo05ky9fdwjv.png
    ws4cq7lya7or.png

I had 0 lag since the server upgrade, and suddenly I am having massive lag, and people from multiple different countries are experiencing the same. So it most definitely is not player side.

Honestly, this reminds me of when the game started lagging way back when and everyone blamed the players.
    Options
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is def something going wrong with either the server or the connecting equipment.
    Most of the day yesterday I continued to have higher-than-normal latency, booted several times.

Last night I jumped in later, around 11p-1a EST. This is normally a VERY dead time on PC-EU. And I did only see a couple players as usual so one would think it was not related to connection load.
    But my latency was awful. Consistently 250+ with frequent jumps to 400-600.
    Loading into ANY instance or zone was especially bad, high spikes 600+ for the first 20-30 seconds.
    Def not normal connection rates for me.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be instance related.

I was experiencing latency spikes on Vivec City, ported to a friend in a different instance of Vivec City and it was fine.

Also experience the same latency spikes on CoH1 this morning but then on the subsequent run it was fine.

Furthermore there is other weirdness going on; on one instance of The Reach the harrowstorms are 'stuck' (environmental effects/damage is on but there are no pikes or enemies and once you get in combat you cannot get out of combat no matter what until you exit the game).

Had to log in my second account, which luckily spawned on a different instance, and port to it.

This is on PC/EU.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on 29 May 2023 18:50
    Options
  • RitaNidec
    RitaNidec
    p3aa30dy6pef.jpg
    Lags, disconnects, what comes next week?
    Ubi facta loquuntrur nоn opus est verbis
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ""booted from lobby" - when trying to log in.

Then "Failed to obtain server information"

Then "Booted from server", repeatedly.

Then "Lost lobby connection"

And now ""Login failed" error 201, repeatedly - I cannot log in.
    Options
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost connection to Lobby

334 & 103 every Minute

Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
    Options
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    That broken mess of a game is unplayable tonight in some instances. Just done Vet Ivory Tower, all the group was ultra lagging while the game displayed only 60 ping ... it was ultra painful to finish.

And then after leaving IT, everything came back to normal.
    Edited by ZigoSid on 29 May 2023 20:20
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ""booted from lobby" - when trying to log in.

Then "Failed to obtain server information"

Then "Booted from server", repeatedly.

Then "Lost lobby connection"

And now ""Login failed" error 201, repeatedly - I cannot log in.

Ditto.

And several other variants. Never heard of 310 - Transfer failed before.

I also got kicked out before even getting to character selection... For -spamming-.

PC EU. Ruining my pledges today, it seems.
    Options
  • Naltanir
    Naltanir
    ✭✭
    UP

Zos?
    Options