The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC EU starts lagging more than ever.

Galeriano
Galeriano
✭✭✭✭✭
Some BGs are simply unplayable and whole teams have massive delays on every action and everyone just have slideshow on the screen. This is simply unacceptable. New server seems to be choking more than the old one. There was nothing like that happening in 6 years of battlegrounds existance. We had lags but not 1+ seconds universal delays. Wierdly enough it seems to be a selective thing. Some BGs can be played normally as usuall but then there are some matches that are simply unplayable and both of them can happen one next to another. Something really wrong is happening to the server.
Edited by Galeriano on 26 May 2023 23:24
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't do pvp but my loading times have gone up quite a bit.
  • Giulietta
    Giulietta
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do pvp either (atm), but I can confirm the new server didn't improve anything. Today I had the kicked-from-server issue again (during a thieves-guild heist) and couldn't log in again for 15min; then in arx corinium two boss groups started fading and reappearing once we had attacked, not taking any damage until we backed off a bit and returned; also I noticed it often takes quite a while until my char acts upon my input doesn't do it at all or several seconds later, then a few minutes everything's fine again...

I've not had these issues the first time today, they're known to me, but today (26.5.23) seems incredibly laggy- more than usual. The server change didn't make anything better, maybe worse.
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »
    Some BGs are simply unplayable and whole teams have massive delays on every action and everyone just have slideshow on the screen. This is simply unacceptable. New server seems to be choking more than the old one. There was nothing like that happening in 6 years of battlegrounds existance. We had lags but not 1+ seconds universal delays. Wierdly enough it seems to be a selective thing. Some BGs can be player normally as usuall but than there are some matches that are simply unplayable and both of them can happen one next to another. Something really wrong is happening to the server.

Absolutely agree, actually it starts after last maintenance. And for me its not always on bg but when I do dungeons I have huge lags too
  • Edenprime
    Edenprime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that there is a ping issue going on. We did several dungeons and pledges, but only Wayrest Sewers 2 had our ping go between 100-500 (up to 999). It seems to be instance based and I was able to port to a guildies Deshaan instance where they had 200+ ping and people were "porting around" and I see the same, yet my ping is normal (around 70)
    Guildmaster of the largest Finnish community for ESO (dragonborninc.fi), ESO-Hub contributor, co-leader of PC/EU's largest trading network, Occasional coordinator of Bethesda Nordic community events and a raider. Twitter Twitch | Youtube
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with all the above posters. I go to EU for the challenge, but lagggggggg was not what I had in mind.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed more lag spikes and longer loading times. The servers falling apart is nothing new, upgrades or not.

We need brand new servers, upgrades just don't cut it I'm afraid. Well, one day it might happen, they can't keep avoiding it.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, today was quite a bad one given the enormous latency at some times.

That said: Dear zos, I can fully understand that changing server-hardware takes a few weeks till everything runs smoothly. Nobody will blame you for that (Well ok, some will. But that are mainly the people who blame you for everything.)

But please at least tell us something "yes, there are problems with our new server on PC EU and it can take a bit of time to resolve this problem."

A honest and fair information, nothing more is needed.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC EU: Yes, since the previous maintenance there seems to be something wrong with the server. But it only happens in very few select instances, so to me this seems like one or more pieces of hardware are about to fail/failing. The issue in some instances creates 700+ ping, and a two second delay when using any skills.

Every unaffected zone is normal, ping 50 and smooth skill use.

Edit: This was in overland zones/delves.
    Edited by Sarannah on 27 May 2023 08:16
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum Moderators move the latency threads to the PC Technical Support category
    (like this one: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7878439)
    but the fact is quite apparent:
    something went wrong with PC EU after the recent maintenance

Yesterday i was getting ping spikes upto 400..500mS (while farming Frostvault for the stickerbook)
    and, trust me, this WAS really noticeable. Day before spikes reached 700..800mS.
    i suspect Zeni's internal network hardware malfunction/misconfiguration,
    as the issue affects many players in different countries, so it is most likely server-based.
    My other (than ESO) network games work fine with no latency issues.
    PC EU
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not just high pings. People experiencing higher zone loading times, and on steam people have issues just logging in, and once in, remaining in game for more than a minute or two. All started after the last patch.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely happened after the last maintenance.

It's not just weird lag, I've been booted from the server a couple of times for no reason - in fact the reason given in the pop up was simply "Booted from server".

I already knew that.
  • LikiLoki
    LikiLoki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many friends complain that the delays in using the guild shop have become very large
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Please notice that. The maintenance did blow something on PC-EU. It is really severely impacted right now.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely 0 lag.

I have however been feeling the server boots. Happened to me numerous times during the event, and recently. Its why I am reinstalling other games right now in fact. I dont want to be booted for picking a smurfing flower, or catching a fish. Lol
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    I have absolutely 0 lag.

I have however been feeling the server boots. Happened to me numerous times during the event, and recently. Its why I am reinstalling other games right now in fact. I dont want to be booted for picking a smurfing flower, or catching a fish. Lol
    Getting disconnected, especially in overland, is usually a playerside connection issue. Make sure your connection is 100% stable. I often see players around me walk like they are teleporting very small distances again and again, making me know there is a very high chance they will be disconnected once they start doing something in-game. These players do not have stable connections, connections which have 100% uninterrupted uptime. The reason the server kicks these players, is to force them to log back in, making the client run in sync with the server again.

Players often think their connection is stable, because very few programs actually require a stable connection. Most programs don't mind a microsecond of disconnection here and there, they will simply continue working. MMO's however, require a connection to stay active at all times. There are multiple solutions on both this forum and the internet to try and troubleshoot the issue, hopefully you will get this fixed.

But this is a totally different/unrelated issue from the one discussed in this thread.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now performance is utter crap. Latency 250-300+, holding "steady" around 240 when normally it's down around 120 for me??
    Just did a Harrowstorm in WS and it was a huge lagfest, ppl skipping around the screen. Just awful.
    Noticed since the last mntc cycle performance has been VERY bad. Couple days ago I got 4 Error 307 booted from server when just in the Rimmen crafting area.
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on 27 May 2023 14:15
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree there are instance-based issues. I was fine in overland. I was fine in one dungeon. I subsequently did another and, bam, lag and red in-game ping numbers.

Did a continuous ping from a command prompt to zos.de. Nice and consistent numbers, 60ms - 70ms for the most part, which is good for me (from Ireland). Did a netstat to see what servers the game actually connected to. One of them was very spikey with frequent pings in the hundreds of ms. Had ping -t running to zos.de at the same time, which remained low and consistent. This ain't an ISP issue. It could be a routing issue, in which case I can sometimes work around it by using a VPN. I tried to Frankfurt and to London on multiple VPN servers at each location. No joy.

TL;DR: This issue is close to home near ZOS' data center. I can only guess it's an overloaded or broken network switch or their servers are badly balanced. Maybe their new servers are faster - I mean clearly they are considering how much better Cyro is - but they don't have enough of them for PvE instances and BGs now. That said, when (Cyro) servers were overloaded in the past, that usually manifested itself as a slight raise in ping, as little as 30ms over normal, which could translate to severe lag all the same. This is different. This is constant high ping spikes up to 500ms, but they're on and off. If I had to guess these sound more like network issues to me.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just chiming in that me and my partner have both had issues since the last maintenance. Lag and very high ping, just trying to open mails and take attachments was impossible yesterday. It also seems to me that this is instance based, since it's not a continual thing and I'll be suffering whilst he's not and vice-versa.
    PC EU & NA
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah, the occasion when hundreds of players not having the issue before have noticed latency spikes clearly indicates the issue is server-side. Al least i read Guilds chat and Guilds Discords, the problem is of wide-scale.

Ragged_Claw, it affected overland too. placing items into bank and selling stolen things to fence was quite comatose for me, i had to pause pressing "E" key after each object banked/sold.
    PC EU
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did a dungeon with just one friend. My ping/lag was OK. His was terrible. So it's nothing to do with the server instance, but with how the server connection is made. Of course every time you switch server instance a new connection is made, so the two things are somewhat linked, but I don't think it's the servers per se. It's the network.
    Edited by fred4 on 27 May 2023 17:00
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    I have absolutely 0 lag.

Getting disconnected, especially in overland, is usually a playerside connection issue. Make sure your connection is 100% stable. I often see players around me walk like they are teleporting very small distances again and again, making me know there is a very high chance they will be disconnected once they start doing something in-game. These players do not have stable connections, connections which have 100% uninterrupted uptime. The reason the server kicks these players, is to force them to log back in, making the client run in sync with the server again.

Players often think their connection is stable, because very few programs actually require a stable connection. Most programs don't mind a microsecond of disconnection here and there, they will simply continue working. MMO's however, require a connection to stay active at all times. There are multiple solutions on both this forum and the internet to try and troubleshoot the issue, hopefully you will get this fixed.

But this is a totally different/unrelated issue from the one discussed in this thread.

Agreed, and the key to a stable connection is for it to be wired, not wireless.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    Sarannah, the occasion when hundreds of players not having the issue before have noticed latency spikes clearly indicates the issue is server-side. Al least i read Guilds chat and Guilds Discords, the problem is of wide-scale.
    Which is exactly what I said!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »

Ragged_Claw, it affected overland too. placing items into bank and selling stolen things to fence was quite comatose for me, i had to pause pressing "E" key after each object banked/sold.

It's usually worth finding out where the people are in the real world and with which ISP, given it doesn't affect everyone (or there would be a lot more pages to the thread), as it could be network related - tracing the route would give more answers. Again, if it was purely caused by a specific maintenance then everyone would be affected. While I don't do e.g. dungeons I do play overland, use the bank and sell stolen things to the fence and haven't noticed any such issues playing from the UK through VM. PC EU and NA are working equally smoothly as usual for me, but clearly others are having issues and they may well be down to the network rather than the server. More information from those experiencing the problems would be useful, not least for ZOS.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My current connection is not stable, I have 100ms at best with 999+ spikes and anything between. But lately appears PCEU server lag is frequently few seconds or more no matter what my ping is in any content, picking resource nodes or combat overland or dungeons, all same. Before maintenance I often warped back while travelling overland, my companion, pets and sometimes bunch of aggroed mobs - which had been invisible when I passed through em - running back to me. After maint, that does not happen but action lag is worse.
    Edited by rpa on 27 May 2023 20:40
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was reading this thread earlier and was quite surprised as I have had no issues at all and for as long as I can remember only one recent dc(actually that one I remember because it threw up a crash report which I hadn't seen one of for even longer).

Anyway I thought I'd log in and do some stuff to see if I had any problems before posting, so far 3 hours and counting, no lag, latency is as stable as it ever is(60-90) and fps same as usual. There were some discussions in my guilds the other night about a couple of trials runs, one it appeared 50% had problems, 50% didn't, the other was described as a "slide show" for the whole group, so something is going on for sure.

Things that might be relevant in my case are...... my PC is always wired, it's not a new PC but it is still pretty good, I have the game and my operating system on an SSD which I use for nothing else and I live in a big city, with a mid to high end fibre broadband connection. Having said that three gamers and a youtube addict live in the same house so our broadband is always heavily utilised!!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Kazi92
    Kazi92
    ✭✭✭
    I am also experiencing high ping and lag for the last two days, which seems to be instance based. Porting to another map fixed the issue for me temporary. But i encounter theese laggy instances quite often. around once or twice an hour.
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coming in to report lag spikes as well going up between 500 to 999+, I'm just running around in Auridon at 1am CET. I am on wired internet. Hope they can fix it soon. :/
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Auridon is the worst culprit I’ve seen so far. Yesterday I was jumping from zone to zone doing some prologues and as soon as arriving in Auridon the ping shoots up well into reds.
    That’s the reason I’m parking my alt for time being, questing there is just a pain at this time…
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to collect two treasure maps in Auridon (EU) one hour ago - it was really, really bad.
    Other areas were OK.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haenk wrote: »
    Went to collect two treasure maps in Auridon (EU) one hour ago - it was really, really bad.
    Other areas were OK.

It does seem to differ per zone, one can be fine and the next is in the hundreds, really weird.