Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"This computer is not authorized....check email and enter code" Code is never sent, so can't log in

ProudMary
ProudMary
✭✭✭✭✭
What does someone do about this situation?

I'm getting the error message that my computer is not authorized to to log into my game account and that they are sending an authorization code to the email address associated with the account that can be used to verify, but then ZOS never sends the authorization code.

What do we do in this situation?

I have over 1700 CP and millions in my bank that I can't access now. Since I can't log into my account, I can't file a ticket.

What does a long time player do in this situation?

@ZOS_Kevin
Edited by ZOS_Bill on 5 April 2023 17:45
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    This might not be your case, but if you have more than one account, make sure you're checking the email associated with that particular account - I always have to switch emails when I get that message
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check your Spam folder?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you have put your password correctly.

Before last update (U36) we received a message saying to check our credentials. So @ZOS did broke something here.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually my girlfriends account I'm trying to recover....but that shouldn't make any difference. She bought the game and played for years.

I've also attempted the account recover procedures on the main account page. I've made sure the email is not blocking anything from noreply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com.

I know for certain the user/pass I'm entering is valid. (I have it written down)

I can't even get into the account to file a ticket to try and resolve this issue. It's like ZOS has deleted the account and never bothered to send an email to say the account was shut down.

The only thing I can think of it's because she hasn't logged in for a few months and her account was either deleted or inactivated with no notice or something.

She can't even file a ticket about it since she can't log in to game or the account page.

@ZOS_Kevin

Edited by ProudMary on 20 February 2023 00:29
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s some sort of bug that has been discussed in other threads recently.

On my daughter’s computer we have to close down and reboot sometimes. That sorts it for her.

On my computer I just have to close the client and restart with a fresh copy/paste of the password.

There is no code or email,in our experience.

*** just seen your update* if you cant access her account through the ESO site, that’s a whole different kettle of fish, my comment above may not be helpful, sorry.
    Edited by Deter1UK on 20 February 2023 00:34
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Did you check your Spam folder?

of course
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »
    This is actually my girlfriends account I'm trying to recover....but that shouldn't make any difference. She bought the game and played for years.

I've also attempted the account recover procedures on the main account page. I've made sure the email is not blocking anything from noreply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com.

I know for certain the user/pass I'm entering is valid. (I have it written down)

I can't even get into the account to file a ticket to try and resolve this issue. It's like ZOS has deleted the account and never bothered to send an email to say the account was shut down.

The only thing I can think of it's because she hasn't logged in for a few months and her account was either deleted or inactivated with no notice or something.

She can't even file a ticket about it since she can't log in to game or the account page.

@ZOS_Kevin

It's possible that her account has been sent to "cold storage" (something they added last year IIRC); that might be part of the issue. I don't believe they notify account holders when that happens.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game currently suffers from that bug and it occurs when you type your password incorrectly. It gives you that bogus code notification instead of simply telling you your password is wrong. When it gets me, it's usually from leaving my caps lock on. I exit and try again making sure my password is typed correctly. Then I get in no problem. I've had this happen perhaps three times in the last 10 days or so.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you still haven't managed to get in:

Try logging in at elderscrollsonline.com. It will tell you it's sending an email, and it will actually do it. Once you've put in the code there, you'll be able to log in to the game.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting the error message that my computer is not authorized to to log into my game account and that they are sending an authorization code to the email address associated with the account that can be used to verify, but then ZOS never sends the authorization code.

I have over 1700 CP and millions in my bank that I can't access now. Since I can't log into my account, I can't file a ticket.

@ZOS_Kevin

This might sound obvious, and likely something that has been done, but it is worth mentioning anyway. Have you tried just closing the code input dialog and logging in again? The last time that I got that "unauthorized" message, I did that and it let me in just fine. Of course, I waited 10 minutes for a code to never show up before I thought of it. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Stefirex
    Stefirex
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

@ZOS_Kevin

This might sound obvious, and likely something that has been done, but it is worth mentioning anyway. Have you tried just closing the code input dialog and logging in again? The last time that I got that "unauthorized" message, I did that and it let me in just fine. Of course, I waited 10 minutes for a code to never show up before I thought of it. :smile:

Believe it or not this is a thing. Just close the dialog and try again. It started about a month ago we'd get that error and no email. Just closing the dialog and logging in again usually works if everything is correct. IE: Username/Password.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stefirex wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »

@ZOS_Kevin

Believe it or not this is a thing. Just close the dialog and try again. It started about a month ago we'd get that error and no email. Just closing the dialog and logging in again usually works if everything is correct. IE: Username/Password.

Can confirm.

Just close the error code dialog box and re-input your password.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • hrothbern
      hrothbern
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The game currently suffers from that bug and it occurs when you type your password incorrectly. It gives you that bogus code notification instead of simply telling you your password is wrong. When it gets me, it's usually from leaving my caps lock on. I exit and try again making sure my password is typed correctly. Then I get in no problem. I've had this happen perhaps three times in the last 10 days or so.

I have the same experience

"I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    • ldzlcs065
      ldzlcs065
      ✭✭✭
      Got the same problem, very frequently. Usually I'll wait for several minutes and try again, then the problem is gone, for the moment.
    • old_scopie1945
      old_scopie1945
      ✭✭✭✭
      I had this a couple of times when logging in with uppercase selected or just using the wrong password. Just a simple log in error, just did it again correctly and it worked out fine.
    • ProudMary
      ProudMary
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It seems like this is the kind of issue @Kevin should have responded to, but I guess not.

Anyway, as other posters have said, eventually login just started working again. The GF was able to login late last night and play some.

Now I'm wondering what happens if this issue ever fails to resolve itself. If there is no way to reach customer support and file a ticket, what then?

Thanks for the responses. Still wondering why a ZOS rep couldn't respond. I thought tagging them was supposed to encourage a response.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well, today I did my usual "before enough coffee" fumble with the wrong account password, and this time I got the normal "wrong password" message, so maybe it's all going to be sorted now.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It seems like this is the kind of issue @Kevin should have responded to, but I guess not.

This is more of a @ZOS_Bill sort of thing. :smile: Glad you got it working, though.
    • ZOS_Hadeostry
      Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
      Staff Post
    • ZOS_Bill
      ZOS_Bill
      admin
      @ProudMary

It seems the login has started working for you again. Do you have any other issues we can help assist with?
      The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
      Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
      Staff Post
    • ProudMary
      ProudMary
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ZOS_Bill wrote: »
      @ProudMary

It seems the login has started working for you again. Do you have any other issues we can help assist with?

Well, yes, I do, ironically. This issue was resolved by resetting my password, but it seems clear it was an additional password verification error being made by the authentication system.

And thank you for responding to inquire about this issue too by the way.

A few days ago I tried to login to the game. It said I was entering the wrong password, but I wasn't. I tried three or four times with the same results: "password invalid". So I tried to log into my account on with ZOS, not into the game itself, and got the same error three or four times. At that time I got a new error saying there had been too many login attempts and that I needed to change my password. So I started the procedure for changing my password. I figured since the system was telling me I was trying to enter the wrong password I may as well reset my password to what I already knew it to be. Then I got an error saying I could not re-use passwords. (So I WAS entering the right password, but the system was denying me access anyway). So I very slightly changed my original password and now am able to log in with no issues.....for now.

It seems like the password verification system has gotten a bit buggy lately, so it seemed worthwhile to post this information in hopes it might be informative to you in some way.

Again, thank you for responding @ZOS_Bill

• Nestor
      Nestor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There is a Cookie issue that may have caused this. The cookie that handles logon mechanics gets corrupted and it never flushes. Unless you delete all ZOS cookies, and that does not always work.

• Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nestor wrote: »
      There is a Cookie issue that may have caused this. The cookie that handles logon mechanics gets corrupted and it never flushes. Unless you delete all ZOS cookies, and that does not always work.

@Nestor ... Isn't that just for the forum or website, though?
    • Nestor
      Nestor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @Elonso

Cookie may not be the exact term, maybe Credential. Anyway your PC can store these locally under certain operations. We used to have a way to flush these in the Credential Manager. This may only apply to windows pro. Anyway, i had an issue like this years ago. I use a protected file to store my lengthy passwords for this game and other things so i never miss type it. A flush and a restart got me back in with my original password.

Another time, i started to reset my password on another platform after i had issues, was told my password was being reused as above, aborted the reset, rebooted and it worked again on the original password.

So, something glitches somewhere, and stores bad credentials.

• Toanis
      Toanis
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Same issue here, could log in just fine yesterday,

Now I get the "Computer not authorized" message, IP has't changed, no changes to hardware or windows updates either. I get the Twitch drop "code redemption" emails, but no one-time password.

I do get the password recovery mail, but it asks me for a secret question I don't think I would have ever used. Not sure if the account server had a major hickup, or I just forgot that I had a nickname as kid.

Update:
      CS could help me with a password reset link that didn't require the answer to the secret question. (Thanks Alice)
      Now I just have to get rid of the old secret question for the next time I need to reset my password.

It's still something the devs / database guys should look into:
      • The game accepted my password but said my computer wasn't authorized; the one-time password never came.
      • The website told me that my password was wrong.
      • Like the OP I tried to "change" to the old password but the website suddenly remembered that was my old PW.
      • There is still a secret question set for my account that I'm pretty sure I never chose.
      Edited by Toanis on 5 March 2023 07:18
    • ProudMary
      ProudMary
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's happening again. No matter what I do game says I'm not entering correct user name or password even though I for certain AM entering the correct information.

Also game won't let me login to account to change my password.
    • ZOS_Bill
      ZOS_Bill
      admin
      @ProudMary

Are you able to log into the ESO account website without any errors?
      Staff Post
    • deidrilb16_ESO
      Hello,

i'm returning to teso after some months and reinstalled my computer but I can't log in : I get the message 'This computer is not authorized....check email and enter code', on the web site as in the game I freshly reinstalled. However I never received these emails.

Changed my password succesfully and received all the emails about the password changes procedure, so i'm sure elderscrollonline emails aren't ignored or end in spams. It's not a steam account, and tried with chrome and edge, and also with a private web session.

Tried to submit a ticket but I never received also any emails about the ticket, and to see the ticket, i must log in, and i can't ...

24h later, still haven't received any email. Are there any support around who can check the problem ?

Thanks in advance.
      Edited by deidrilb16_ESO on 1 April 2023 15:58
    • ProudMary
      ProudMary
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ZOS_Bill wrote: »
      @ProudMary

Are you able to log into the ESO account website without any errors?

Yes. It took a day of customer support ticket back and forth, but customer support was able to take care of it so I could log in again.

Thank you for following up.
    • ZOS_Bill
      ZOS_Bill
      admin
      @deidrilb16_ESO

Do you have your support ticket number?
      Staff Post
    This discussion has been closed.