The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do you consider Azura morally good ??

• Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is morally Gray (does some good and some bad)
    Daedra are best considered Grey and are not beholden to be good or bad to anyone or anything. Kind of like a force of nature sort of or maybe what day of the week someone has to deal with them :)
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    She looks good next to almost every other Daedric Prince. That's a very low bar.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ngl, I've considered Meridia pure evil since Skyrim. That damn beacon we got in Skyrim drove me up the wall irl, never mind in game. Eventually would just go grab it and go do something else away from the console whilst she spouted her drivel.

Remember, Meridia is one of the few Daedric Princes that has actually been the villain of a single player DLC/Expansion. She's the force behind Umaril in Oblivion's Knights of the Nine.
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    She is the Daedric Prince of Vanity and Passion (meaning she is very passionate about what she cares about). I know she is Dawn and Dusk but look at her actions and what pleases her. She is not all about sunrises and sunsets, she is about being praised and showered with adulation. Mock her or defy her, she will put you in your place and do it while throwing a tantrum.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    None of the Daedric Princes are morally 'good' or 'bad' from a mortal's perspective, but instead exist beyond morality per say. Meridia is the best example in my opinion. Meridia represents life and light and absolutely detests Necromancy and the undead, traits which are often considered to be morally 'good'. However, when taken to the extreme (like former Jyggalag's absolute order), this purity usually strips Meridia's followers of all free will, or at the very least goes against their wishes like what happened to Darien Gautier.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's perhaps the only Prince that's Chaotically Good. No Prince has morals, only self interest.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as a "morally good" daedra. They're in a class of their own, with sometimes completely insane logic to their actions.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    azura is to the dunmer what malacath is to the orcs

she does care for them, but in a very self centered way. she manipulates information and events to ensure the dunmer will continue to rely on her guidance, but at the same time she does show benevolence towards them. it's a very toxic and abusive relationship, as she cares about herself and the dunmer's reliance on her just as much as she cares about the dunmer themselves.

malacath is much the same. the orcs are often spurned and ostracized by the other races of tamriel, and malacath acts as a safe refuge for them of sorts. because of this, it is in his best interests that the orcs remain the way they are, even if it goes against what would actually be best for the orsimer people (this is actually what a lot of the wrothgar storyline revolves around, as kurog believes worship of malacath is holding the orcs back, and he is correct.)
    Edited by Browiseth on 21 July 2022 21:06
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure
    Molag bal to Meridia "accursed creature of light and flame."
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    azura is to the dunmer what malacath is to the orcs

she does care for them, but in a very self centered way. she manipulates information and events to ensure the dunmer will continue to rely on her guidance, but at the same time she does show benevolence towards them. it's a very toxic and abusive relationship, as she cares about herself and the dunmer's reliance on her just as much as she cares about the dunmer themselves.

malacath is much the same. the orcs are often spurned and ostracized by the other races of tamriel, and malacath acts as a safe refuge for them of sorts. because of this, it is in his best interests that the orcs remain the way they are, even if it goes against what would actually be best for the orsimer people (this is actually what a lot of the wrothgar storyline revolves around, as kurog believes worship of malacath is holding the orcs back, and he is correct.)

I'm not sure if Malacath really thinks that way. I think Malacath is simply convinced the Orcs will never be accepted again and neither will he after having been shamed by Boethia. So Malacath doesn't want his people to be outcasts, he simply thinks there is nothing else left for them. He is basically full of trust-issues, self-hatred and vengeful thoughts and thinks that this must be true for every Orc out there as well. Of course he isn't entirely wrong with this sentiment, but it also does nothing to break this cycle, which I am sure he would want if he saw it as an option. He was Trinimac once after all.

This is in stark contrast to Namira who knows her followers could do better but doesn't want them to because she only cares about the miserable people. This is also true for the Reachmen interpretation of her, as they intentionally reject comfort because they think it makes them weak.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I do know is she's hot.
    Azura and Nocturnal are hot.
    I will worship them anytime.
    In any elder scrolls game.
    Just saying.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea but this seemed the safe answer. I want to be in the "in crowd" :)
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is mostly morally Good
    I would mark her as grey with a pinch of good. I decide voting for "good" because people voting for bad: She did something, mortals didn't like so she is evil. Daedras arent servants of mortals.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    I would mark her as grey with a pinch of good. I decide voting for "good" because people voting for bad: She did something, mortals didn't like so she is evil. Daedras arent servants of mortals.

Excuse me but punishing an entire race because 3 people decided to do some heresy, even though nobody was worshipping them like gods at that moment, doesn't sound very good to me. Especially because people turned away from her because she punished them all. The tribunal spun the "curse" around as a blessing in a masterful PR maneuver.

Calling her morally gray is already pretty lenient.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • DivineKitty
    DivineKitty
    ✭✭✭
    On the one hand, she cursed an entire race for the actions of 3 people, so not the best representation of her, but on the other hand, she did warn all the Ashlanders on Vvardenfell that red mountain was about to erupt, so it basically boils down to "Who is on my side, and who would it benefit me personally to protect." which is pretty much what every Daedric prince does.
    That said, it is Implied that Azura genuinely cares for her followers and that she wants them to love themselves. According to her priests " If we love her and hate ourselves, she feels our pain."
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly good and evil are narrow-minded mortal made concepts that don't apply to daedra. They transcend mortal concepts of good and evil. That being said looking at this from a mortal perspective Azura shouldn't be trusted any more than any other daedric prince. She's petty and will not just punish an individual for a slight but maybe their family or even race. Mortals are nothing more than pawns to be used and tossed aside later like with that priestess of Azura in Skyrim. Never trust a daedric prince, the moment you are no longer of use, You will be tossed aside for the next "hero". Personally I enjoyed Vivec utterly humiliating her and sending her into hiding. Its always fun to watch an arrogant daedric prince brought down a peg.
  • anil261989rwb17_ESO
    Azura's "curse" gave the Dunmer a tan and free fire resistance, and Azura herself manifests as a Dunmer. It's even arguable that the "curse" was a reminder to the Tribunal of their crime and that their time would come to an end. There is literally no net negative to the skin change other than a cosmetic alteration that didn't really affect anything else.

It's also kind of odd to blame Azura for the aftereffects of the Blight when Baar Dau is Vivec's fault.
  • anil261989rwb17_ESO
    Also, why do people love harping on the priestess thing? Vivec literally kept an asteroid over his city with the implicit threat of letting it drop if the Dunmer stopped loving him, and Azura's the villain of the two because she imparts a final vision to Aranea and leaves her in peace?
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is mostly morally Good
    For those who follow the Queen of Dusk and Dawn, she bestows her blessing and love. The Chimer turned Dunmeri have received her greatest gift and protection. A curse? no. Her only demand is devotion, not blood sacrifice but our genuine love.

She is a Diva in the purest sense, powerless without our adoration. But powerful because of it Her ways are not our ways and are often misunderstood by mortals. She is often at odds with the darkest of Daedra, fighting on mortals behalf. Even in death, she suffers their loss, consider Culanwe the peacemaker and st.Veloth. She is a force for good. Millennia bear out these truths. She plays the long game and her enduring adoration for those devoted to her, is mutually fulfilled.

Yours in Twilight,
    Faellah Eichenlaub
    High Priestess of Azura
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure
    None of the daedra can be considered "good" or "bad" - because they're outside the bounds of the game's mer and human reactions to entities.

But for me, I've written fanfic where Meridia and Azura interact with a specific family (this is in TES V not ESO) which gives them a "somewhat more benevolent" attitude.

But in the game world, as it exists today (that is ESO) - I feel both of them are so outside of humanocentricity that it's better to just consider them "deus ex machina" and leave it at that.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsure
    Sammy just do what he is told when confronted by a godlike being :o
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is as manipulative and self serving as the rest of them, but she does seem to care for her people a little bit, so that's something.
    PC EU
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider Azura to be great.

Awesome even.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azura does whatever is good for Azura. Sometimes that aligns with mortal concepts of good and sometimes it aligns with bad.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azura's "curse" gave the Dunmer a tan and free fire resistance, and Azura herself manifests as a Dunmer. It's even arguable that the "curse" was a reminder to the Tribunal of their crime and that their time would come to an end. There is literally no net negative to the skin change other than a cosmetic alteration that didn't really affect anything else.

Yes, I think dunmer make some of the most attractive characters, so what's one daedra's curse is another person's treasure :sweat_smile:
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azura is irrelevant.

Meridia is the ONE TRUE GOD!

All Hail Meridia, The Sunfire !!
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She isn't really good or evil. It's just that her goals tend to be more in line with the best interest of mortals and it benefits her to be seen positively. Make no mistake, she will throw you aside if it benefits her, it's just much less likely to compared to other daedric princes.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quest at Glenumbra comes to mind at once. There you can talk to the Daedra. He is without a marker, so you probably did not see this dialogue, as most players do not talk to NPCs who do not have a marker.

bwlfrhfrt76v.jpg
  • Mascen
    Mascen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I consider her good enough because when you think about it, the divines hands off approach can be considered moral negligence past a certain point.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For those who follow the Queen of Dusk and Dawn, she bestows her blessing and love. The Chimer turned Dunmeri have received her greatest gift and protection. A curse? no. Her only demand is devotion, not blood sacrifice but our genuine love.

She is a Diva in the purest sense, powerless without our adoration. But powerful because of it Her ways are not our ways and are often misunderstood by mortals. She is often at odds with the darkest of Daedra, fighting on mortals behalf. Even in death, she suffers their loss, consider Culanwe the peacemaker and st.Veloth. She is a force for good. Millennia bear out these truths. She plays the long game and her enduring adoration for those devoted to her, is mutually fulfilled.

Yours in Twilight,
    Faellah Eichenlaub
    High Priestess of Azura

um...yeah...sort of.... I recall her followers who attempted to wipe out a vampire nest. They did succeed, but were all infected. They sealed themselves in the vampire lair. As a reward for their service and sacrifice, Azura sends you to kill them. Because she feels bad about it. So their reward for faithful service and years of suffering is death at your hands and candles on rocks around her shrine. You get a chance to be infected by the unwilling vampires, get loot from a hidden coffin in the cave, and Azura's Star. I missed the "good" and "protection" there.