Sea Elves of Pyandonea

zombniac
zombniac
✭✭✭
We've been getting a lot more information and cosmetics related to the maormer. I think it would be awesome if the maormer were added as a playable race along with a new chapter where you go to Pyandonea. Call it Year of the Serpent or something, I don't know. I personally envision the island continent of Pyandonea to be a jungle of humongous trees, cliffsides, waterfalls and dinosaur-like creatures. In lore it should be close enough to where it should be included on the game map. What does everyone thing?
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been asking for this for about maybe 2-3 years now? maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Unfortunately I read that pyandonea is a continent like Australia. Also, how would they fit in the war?

My knowledge on the lore is very limited. I did read the psijic order destroyed them some time in the lore. So this story could be about them placing the pieces together to that would set up those events.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Problem is that they hate everyone and everyone hates them. But I guess some major cataclysm threatening their homeland could smooth that out.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Maomer being friendly with the main races to the point where they could be a player race seems abit farfetched.

And would only exacerbate the already awkward alliance between Orsimer and Bretons or the Alliance between Dunmer and Argonians.

Ayrenn is a benevolent ruler as far as Altmer rulers go, but it would be extremely farfetched for her to allow Maomer anywhere near the Summerset Isles or any AD controlled territory, and the AD would never treat with someone who harbours large Maomer populations.

Maomer don't work as a 4th faction, atleast not in the current format and they don't work as a neutral race because they hate everyone and everyone hates them.
    Edited by essi2 on 11 June 2022 11:05
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it's unfortunate but i'm doubtful there will ever be a new playable race. though zos definitely have taken some creative liberties throughout this game's lifespan (looking at you dragonknights) it is pretty evident they are hesitant to stray too far from the core ideas of the single player games

i imagine it's a really tough balance to find the middle ground of. make cool new stuff for the elder scrolls universe, but don't step on the toes of bethesda's main series games...
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    The Maomer being friendly with the main races to the point where they could be a player race seems abit farfetched.

And would only exacerbate the already awkward alliance between Orsimer and Bretons or the Alliance between Dunmer and Argonians.

Ayrenn is a benevolent ruler as far as Altmer rulers go, but it would be extremely farfetched for her to allow Maomer anywhere near the Summerset Isles or any AD controlled territory, and the AD would never treat with someone who harbours large Maomer populations.

Maomer don't work as a 4th faction, atleast not in the current format and they don't work as a neutral race because they hate everyone and everyone hates them.

Lore-wise, it would only be a vestige Maormer. It's not like Ayrenn will open her borders to the entirety of them which would be farfetched. But I think taking playable Maormer off of the table due to this reason would be shallow. And I don't think they would ever be their own faction, they would most likely be added like the imperials.

I've been asking for this for about maybe 2-3 years now? maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Unfortunately I read that pyandonea is a continent like Australia. Also, how would they fit in the war?

My knowledge on the lore is very limited. I did read the psijic order destroyed them some time in the lore. So this story could be about them placing the pieces together to that would set up those events.

Huh?! Where did you read about Pyandonea being similar to Australia? Do you mean biome? Because I had always envisioned it to be a massive rainforest.
    Browiseth wrote: »
    it's unfortunate but i'm doubtful there will ever be a new playable race. though zos definitely have taken some creative liberties throughout this game's lifespan (looking at you dragonknights) it is pretty evident they are hesitant to stray too far from the core ideas of the single player games

i imagine it's a really tough balance to find the middle ground of. make cool new stuff for the elder scrolls universe, but don't step on the toes of bethesda's main series games...

Agreed. I think High Isle is completely new though. So we'll see.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's got to be a reason for them to be seagoing raiders. Having a desolate island only makes sense.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I 2 maomer can be member of the dragonguard, an oganisation tat operate on dominion land, without being hated by other member or hating them, it will be easy to explaine the player maomer being out there
    And yes there would cononicly only be one player character maomer and every other wouldnt need any justification

I personnly dont see any problem with zos adding them

Give them
    storm resist, the only elemental resist not yet a racial pasive
    Some stam and mag, some wep and spell dammage or some other combination to mirror ther storm mage and sailors
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    I 2 maomer can be member of the dragonguard, an oganisation tat operate on dominion land, without being hated by other member or hating them, it will be easy to explaine the player maomer being out there
    And yes there would cononicly only be one player character maomer and every other wouldnt need any justification

I personnly dont see any problem with zos adding them

Give them
    storm resist, the only elemental resist not yet a racial pasive
    Some stam and mag, some wep and spell dammage or some other combination to mirror ther storm mage and sailors

Yes exactly! Other players arguing that it wouldn't be lore friendly makes me annoyed. There's plenty of other things that actually makes less or no sense at all. I would be fine with whatever passives they give them.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’d love a Maormer playable race. My only concern would be seeing them absolutely everywhere but if that were to happen it’s pretty easy to ignore. I don’t think we’d go Pyandonea though, at least not for an entire dlc. Maybe for part of a quest undercover or through a flashback sequence/dreamwalk.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zombniac wrote: »
    Agreed. I think High Isle is completely new though. So we'll see.

High Isle, per the devs, appeared on some pre-ESO map (admittedly with no other mentions or lore attached until now) - so more like 95% new.

Fargrave is 100% new SFAIK though.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    5lmr43w1tsf8.png
    Here is a pre-release concept of Elder Scrolls: Legends with Pyandonea located south of Tamriel.

gxd5z9qg6xg6.jpg
    And here is another map with a more detailed positioning of the continent.

Soarora wrote: »
    I’d love a Maormer playable race. My only concern would be seeing them absolutely everywhere but if that were to happen it’s pretty easy to ignore. I don’t think we’d go Pyandonea though, at least not for an entire dlc. Maybe for part of a quest undercover or through a flashback sequence/dreamwalk.

Why would that concern you? I'm just curious. Also, I'm sadly believing that we won't see Pyandonea, at least for a while. But I really hope it happens.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why would that concern you? I'm just curious. Also, I'm sadly believing that we won't see Pyandonea, at least for a while. But I really hope it happens.

As much as I love Maormer, I just think it'd be unsettling to see a previously non-playable race--especially one that's generally filled with so much hatred--all over the place. A few would certainly make sense though, so more of a personal preference than any argument that it's lore-breaking or shouldn't be a thing.

I do believe straight-up going to Pyandonea could be a lore issue though. I'm not sure where Dreadsail Reef is located as you get there by boat (other than I know it is not on Pyandonea) but it has a biome similar to what I'd imagine is on Pyandonea, might wanna check it out if you haven't already. I have heard on a stream that Q4 will have more Maormer information so... we will see what happens... holding out for more King Orgnum content myself.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank

View my builds!
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the current point in time with the lore, any attempt to make sea elves playable and work with the already existing narrative in ESO is going to seem forced. I want playable sea elves too but it wouldn't work in ESO unless they hamfist a bad excuse for it into the game, and ESO already has enough bad writing and lore contrivances as it is.

I've said this before, but the best we can hope for in this department is customizable polymorphs for non-playable races--we get to roleplay as whatever race we want and they don't have to commit to it. It's a perfect compromise.

Now, there are pretty good ways we could make them work in TES 6 but Todd Howard is already on record saying that he thinks 10 playable races is enough, that's already out the window too.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if ZOS considers Pyandonea as part of Tamriel as they have stated that they want to fill in Tamriel first before they go beyond its borders. High Isle definitely seems to indicate that we might get Pyandonea before all of Tamriel's blank spots are filled, but I would imagine the Maormer would get their turn after every of the currently playable races got their chapter.

I do not think making Maormer playable would work unless you restrict them to after you've finished the story quest of Pyandonea, as a quest reward basically, which has to result in a cease fire with the Altmer at the very least (which we know will be broken again at a future point after the events of ESO) as it anything else would not make any sense at all. Also this cease fire actually has to be believable, not like the peace between Reachmen and Nords in Markarth or the way the Ebonheart Pact was handled. Botched lore is no excuse to botch more lore. Otherwise we'd have to make the Maormer a Pact exclusive race as they seem to have the least beef with them.
    If you ask me, this would be a lot more trouble than it's worth I feel as you can already make decent looking Maormer using Altmer and with certain cosmetics. They don't need to add more playable races anyway as they do not exactly offer much in terms of replayability.

Stuff I wanna know about the Maormer is what they think their origin story is compared to what the Altmer tell us, why they obsess over Summerset, how Orgnum's immortality works (does he respawn? does he simply not die? is he being reincarnated? is he not actually immortal and why do the Altmer think he is?), what the Maormer connection to snakes is and what that has to do with Sep, Satakal, Sithis and Arkay/Orkey (which is represented by the snake totem in the old Nord religion).
    I tried to come up with some fan lore to make sense of it and my idea involved a gigantic dead snake that's wrapped around the entire island, which acts sort of like one of the Towers, causing the fog around Pyandonea as well. Orgnum would be tied to that snake in some way which is the cause of his immortality and also be part of the Maormer's motivation to invade Summerset in some way. I think something like that would be cool.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have heard on a stream that Q4 will have more Maormer information so... we will see what happens... holding out for more King Orgnum content myself.

I think it’s likely. We know the Maormer are working with the Ascendant Order, since
    the loadstones the Order used to track and destroy the delegate ships are presumably the same ones the Maormer made off with at the end of Shipwright’s Regret.

But they haven’t spelled it out yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if
    the Ascendant Lord was Orgnum.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Todd Howard vetoes this idea so hard. Elder scrolls online is not the place to unveil new playable races especially when they would not sit in any faction since the dominion hates them
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    I hope Todd Howard vetoes this idea so hard. Elder scrolls online is not the place to unveil new playable races especially when they would not sit in any faction since the dominion hates them

Taken directly from TES's timeline, Queen Ayrenn actually establishes peace and forges an alliance with the Maormer at some point, presumably during the three banners war. Yes, while the majority of Maormer are currently hostile before that peace treaty with Pyandonea, there are plenty of non-hostile Maormer in the game as well.

Ever go into Abah's Landing? Maormer dock there all the time as it is a free port that doesn't discriminate, and they do a lot of trade with the local Redguards and merchant lords. You can find neutral Maormer all over the city and even talk to a good number of them, some are even merchants that live in the city. Then you have a whole quest in Summerset devoted to the love affair between a Maormer captain and an Altmeri sergeant.

SO... if Argonians, Nords, Dunmer, Orsimer, Bretons, and Redguards can serve in the Aldmeri Dominion... and the Dominion "hates them"... why can Maormer not if Queen Ayrenn makes peace with them soon?
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Taken directly from TES's timeline, Queen Ayrenn actually establishes peace and forges an alliance with the Maormer at some point, presumably during the three banners war.

The alliance with the Maormer took place during the 2nd Aldmeri Dominion. ESO takes place during the first AD. There is a 250 year gap between them.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aldmeri_Dominion
    Then again, during the main quest on High Isle we learn that Ayrenn spend considerable time with the Maormer and even picked up some of their spellcasting ways.
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Taken directly from TES's timeline, Queen Ayrenn actually establishes peace and forges an alliance with the Maormer at some point, presumably during the three banners war.

The alliance with the Maormer took place during the 2nd Aldmeri Dominion. ESO takes place during the first AD. There is a 250 year gap between them.

Then again, during the main quest on High Isle we learn that Ayrenn spend considerable time with the Maormer and even picked up some of their spellcasting ways.

Hence why I wrote "why can Maormer not if Queen Ayrenn makes peace with them soon?". It hasn't happened yet, but I still kind of refuse to agree with the "It's not lore friendly!" argument. Well, it's not exactly lore unfriendly either, much like many other things that have been added to the game.
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭

EDIT:
    Talos' coming and his third empire is only a few decades away. After his conquests and the forging of his new empire, there is no Aldmeri Dominion until the 4th era after the collapse of the Septim empire, which is the THIRD Aldmeri Dominion we meet by TES Skyrim's time. The Second Aldmeri Dominion you're talking about is NOW in eso. Ayrenn's Dominion IS the second Dominion. The first Aldmeri Dominion existed quite a while before the events of ESO.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

EDIT:
    Talos' coming and his third empire is only a few decades away. After his conquests and the forging of his new empire, there is no Aldmeri Dominion until the 4th era after the collapse of the Septim empire, which is the THIRD Aldmeri Dominion we meet by TES Skyrim's time. The Second Aldmeri Dominion you're talking about is NOW in eso. Ayrenn's Dominion IS the second Dominion. The first Aldmeri Dominion existed quite a while before the events of ESO.

"The original Aldmeri Dominion, also known as the First Aldmeri Dominion, was an empire founded by Queen Ayrenn in 2E 580, in the midst of the Interregnum.[2][3]" -UESP

The Interregnum is the beginning of ESO. Tiber Septim's birth is also several hundred years away. I don't think Maormer being playable would break lore, as you have mentioned there are plenty of Maormer that are on Tamriel, but this statement about the Dominion is just plain wrong.
    • CP 2000+

View my builds!
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭

EDIT:

"The original Aldmeri Dominion, also known as the First Aldmeri Dominion, was an empire founded by Queen Ayrenn in 2E 580, in the midst of the Interregnum.[2][3]" -UESP

The Interregnum is the beginning of ESO. Tiber Septim's birth is also several hundred years away. I don't think Maormer being playable would break lore, as you have mentioned there are plenty of Maormer that are on Tamriel, but this statement about the Dominion is just plain wrong.

Yes I was, I figured that out a few minutes ago but didn't know how to edit a post.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

EDIT:

Yes I was, I figured that out a few minutes ago but didn't know how to edit a post.

Little gear icon in the top right corner of your message (on mobile at least).
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hence why I wrote "why can Maormer not if Queen Ayrenn makes peace with them soon?". It hasn't happened yet, but I still kind of refuse to agree with the "It's not lore friendly!" argument. Well, it's not exactly lore unfriendly either, much like many other things that have been added to the game.

I don't think even elves consider 250 years "soon". 😉
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing a bunch of Maormer players running around wouldn't break my immersion any more than seeing all the crazy mounts and costumes running around does. I just pretend they aren't there. As was pointed out, there are already friendly Maormer NPCs in the game, and one more (the vestige) wouldn't be game breaking.

I would absolutely love a playable Maormer race (or another new playable race), but am I optimistic that it will actually happen? Not really.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to just add maormer skin (a proper one) or polymorph. Less of a mess and people can roleplay a maormer as much as they want.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At
    I've said this before, but the best we can hope for in this department is customizable polymorphs for non-playable races--we get to roleplay as whatever race we want and they don't have to commit to it. It's a perfect compromise.
    That would be a really poor compromise
    Just release them and be done with it
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on 12 June 2022 16:08
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Better to just add maormer skin (a proper one) or polymorph. Less of a mess and people can roleplay a maormer as much as they want.

And much less fun
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I could care less if there were mechanical Maormer to play if I had a skin that actually makes me look like one. I own Maormer Fish Skin but I don't use it. I use the Artic Rime Skin at the moment.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At
    That would be a really poor compromise
    Just release them and be done with it
    I'm not sure why you think it would be such an easy thing to do. ZOS has a hard time balancing the Races we have now, it's not just a matter of cranking out pale Elves. They'd need to come up with Racial passives, they'd need to add another Race to character creation, and they'd also have to give at least one additional character slot for those with 18 already.

So yeah, a Polymorph would be better and less work. Besides that, it becomes a slippery slope of they add more Races. People will start demanding other Races going "well we got this one why can't we get these ones!". You also need to remember that ZOS has to follow what Bethesda tells them they can do. If Bethesda doesn't want them adding new Races, that's it. They're the ones who get to say what Races we get, not ZOS.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!