The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

About companions

Sailor_Palutena
Sailor_Palutena
✭✭✭✭
So we are getting two new companions in High Isles but I'm still leveling one of the first two. My Bastian Hallix is still level 10 even thought I got him early in Blackwood chapter. Is there a way to level them faster?

I will probably take 50 hours to get him to 20.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're out of luck, the best way was doing dolmens when the completion bonus applied to them, but that has been removed. The next best thing, though they're likely to end up dead most of the time, is dragons in Southern Kitty Fun Land where spawns are short and more narrow landing spots.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled mine somewhat quickly by soloing easy normal dungeons over and over and farming public dungeons.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slap on some training gear(one set being Heartland conqueror, the others slots whatever you choose) and have them follow you everywhere you go.

As soon as the chapter drops all the grind spots are likely to be full, for a few days, weeks for those looking to rush level up their companions with kill grinding.

Heartland Conqueror
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    ESO-Hub.com
    Type Craftable
    ArmorSet bonus
    (2 items) Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
    (3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (4 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
    (5 items) Increase the effectiveness of your Weapon Traits by 100%. This does not affect Ornate or Intricate traits.

https://eso-sets.com/set/heartland-conqueror

With Heartland Conqueror's 5 piece bonus even a purple set of training gear can compare to a gold training gear set up someone else is using without the set and gold-ing it out gives you 9% more xp than another gold training gear set up.

7 pieces of gold armour 11% bonus kill xp each = 77% bonus kill xp, throw in a weapon goes from 9% to 18% bonus kill xp with the sets 5th piece bonus. giving you 95% bonus kill xp from every enemy you kill. 10% from ESO+ and your getting 105% xp from everything you kill or simply put a little over 2 enemies worth of xp per kill.

End of the day it just comes down to how much stuff you kill while you have your companion out. Since they got rid of the completion bonus from dolmens affecting companions, its going to be a lot slower for people this time around.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we are getting two new companions in High Isles but I'm still leveling one of the first two. My Bastian Hallix is still level 10 even thought I got him early in Blackwood chapter. Is there a way to level them faster?

The issue is that they just get XP from kills.

So if your playstyle isn't "grind lots & lots of mobs" (as opposed to questing & similar things), your companions will level slowly.
    (I have the same issue - my Mirri hit max Rapport ages ago, but is still level 12 or 13.)
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is that they just get XP from kills.

So if your playstyle isn't "grind lots & lots of mobs" (as opposed to questing & similar things), your companions will level slowly.
    (I have the same issue - my Mirri hit max Rapport ages ago, but is still level 12 or 13.)

Yeah, I just leveled a char from 0-CP190 overnight with master writs during the event, but poor Bastion is still a noob.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've done well duoing nDSA with a friend and our two companions. With an event buff and/or exp scroll, they'll pick up several levels in a run.

We'll probably switch over to nBRP when the new companions come out just for variety.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd still just throw on training gear and run Alik'r dolmens... you still get XP for kills and you get a LOT of kills doing dolmens. Plus, use XP boosts as those also apply to Companions; basically anything that boosts player XP for kills also boosts Companion XP.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I really cared, I'd make a full set of training gear and farm public dungeons or regular dungeons.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I really cared, I'd make a full set of training gear and farm public dungeons or regular dungeons.

Always feels to me that public dungeons are much better exp than regular dungeons. But you may have to deal with competition of course.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pro tip: if you go with the training gear + exp scroll in a public dungeon then bring some repair kits. Gear degradation is connected to how much exp you gain.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    Pro tip: if you go with the training gear + exp scroll in a public dungeon then bring some repair kits. Gear degradation is connected to how much exp you gain.

Exp you earn in combat, I assume? Also, that would explain why I kept having to buy new repair kits when I was levelling Bastian!
  • Lailaamell
    Lailaamell
    ✭✭✭
    Dragon star normal is fast
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone is gonna have to explain how that works because i haven’t heard that in my years of playing eso. I know if gear breaks, that has an effect on your stats and all that. But just degradation affects XP?
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Someone is gonna have to explain how that works because i haven’t heard that in my years of playing eso. I know if gear breaks, that has an effect on your stats and all that. But just degradation affects XP?

As you kill things your gears durability gradually goes down, tied to how much kill XP you earn, eventually breaking your gear requiring a repair kit to fix it, to get the set pieces bonuses to be active again.

Don't think quest XP has any effect though, done large numbers of master writs without my gear durability budging.

Its not very noticeable when your just questing due to how few enemies you encounter, repair your gear and go kill grind somewhere for half an hour or so and have a look at your gear.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I should have been more clear: the faster you gain exp, the faster your gear takes damage. Like Bmnoble said: if you do some serious exp grinding with exp bonuses and all, your gear will wear down quickly. And having to interrupt your grind to go back to town to repair is inefficient.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah. Different amounts of XP gains affects degradation rates. Gear degradation doesn’t affect XP gains. That makes sense.
    I always keep repair kits on me, with an addon that automatically repairs (or charges) gear items when their durability reaches 1%.

Y’all initially made it sound like if my gear was at 50% durability, I’d be getting less XP per mob than if my gear was at 100% durability.
    That would just be whack.
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use a set of training gear, wait for double xp event and save all 150% xp scrolls for that. Then farm Crimson Cove in Malabal Tor or a public dungeon with similar amount of trash mobs.

Took me 4 hours to level one companion from 1 to 20. After two hours the actual weapon line of the companion should be 20 and the companion level around 15 or 16. Change your companion to another weapon and continue. When companion level is 20 the second weapon line should also be max.

I used bow and healing staff for Mirri and sword/shield and destruction staff for Bastian.

You can also use it for leveling skills and skill lines of your own character you didn't max out yet.

To level mage's, fighter's and undaunted guild on your companion wait for U34, because then the amount of dailies necessary to level up is severely reduced.

/EDIT: Armor line is the same amount of xp like weapon line, so you can change armor when changing weapon. I used light and medium armor for Mirri and medium and heavy for Bastian.
    Edited by Tranquilizer on 2 May 2022 10:34
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think killing mobs works best now, craglorn's giant shards (I forgot the name of the area, spellscar?) works the best for grinding there.
    It's slow and tedious tho.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @Lailaamell i would also suggest to take companions to nDSA if you had not collected all the gear and weapons there.
    It is soloable, though rather boring due to long pauses. Damage shield tremendously helps to finish the last arena.
    You collect gear, Companion levels up. Win-Win situation.
    PC EU
  • Lailaamell
    Lailaamell
    ✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    Like @Lailaamell i would also suggest to take companions to nDSA if you had not collected all the gear and weapons there.
    It is soloable, though rather boring due to long pauses. Damage shield tremendously helps to finish the last arena.
    You collect gear, Companion levels up. Win-Win situation.

Gonna be honest i stopped using mine for noticed the more ppl near them wierder their combat seemed to go like their ai just got slower idk why that happend but i rather not want to use them also partly to how both current companions are rather meele focused
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, I unlocked Mirri on the character who can't fly through mobs as well as my Magplar or Stamden, because that's who'd need the help from a companion more.
    (my single-target, stealth/thief, stamblade)

So "grind ALL the mobs!" isn't a great option for her.

Guess I need to drag the Magplar over to Blackwood and do that quest again, if I ever want Mirri to level up
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scrap em.
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Public Dungeons....farm them

My wife and I farmed Nchuleftingth in Vardenfell we put on some music made some snacks it went pretty fast.

But having to do that in a Elder Scrolls game is dumb... just dumb. Companions should level and gear naturally as you quest. You shouldn't have to turn them into a slot machine just to advance.

That's not what anyone wanted.

@ZOS_RichLambert the fact that you are more or less forcing us to farm to advance our companions is cheap and lame...the multitude of mistakes made with companions are also ridiculous.... there are many here (most with some type of industry experience) including myself who would gladly help you make Companions better all you have to do is ask...hell just put up a poll and ask us our thoughts...most of us live for this stuff.

Right now you are just kicking those who have waited for years for you to implement them in the teeth.

Stop it, it hurts
    Edited by DagenHawk on 2 May 2022 19:00
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, I unlocked Mirri on the character who can't fly through mobs as well as my Magplar or Stamden, because that's who'd need the help from a companion more.

Guess I need to drag the Magplar over to Blackwood and do that quest again, if I ever want Mirri to level up

You can level your companion with the character most suitable for grinding. Companion-, weapon- and armorlevel is account wide, only rapport counts per character. Just do the intro quest so you can use your companion with that character.

/Edit: NB (stam) is perfectly suitable for grinding. You only need whirling blades (dual wield), bombarde (bow) and Ring of the Pale Order (or Vengeance Leech set).
    Edited by Tranquilizer on 2 May 2022 17:39
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen multiple of these posts and I dont understand how it takes so long for yall. I've just finished leveling rapport/actual level for bastian and switched over to Mirri. Been using her for a week and have just been questing, running dragonstar here and there and 2 manning dungeons/dsa with companions out and she's level 20?

If you're wanting to really grind them out I recommend going to skyreach and grinding some CP with a friend simultaneously while having your companions out.
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaustink wrote: »
    I've seen multiple of these posts and I dont understand how it takes so long for yall. I've just finished leveling rapport/actual level for bastian and switched over to Mirri. Been using her for a week and have just been questing, running dragonstar here and there and 2 manning dungeons/dsa with companions out and she's level 20?

If you're wanting to really grind them out I recommend going to skyreach and grinding some CP with a friend simultaneously while having your companions out.

Well for one many of us believe that the experience bar is bugged for many of us.

And of course no one from the dev team will bother to answer our query about that.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can level your companion with the character most suitable for grinding. Companion-, weapon- and armorlevel is account wide, only rapport counts per character. Just do the intro quest so you can use your companion with that character.

Right, that was my point - I hadn't done the intro quest on any other characters yet, because they didn't need a companion along.
    /Edit: NB (stam) is perfectly suitable for grinding. You only need whirling blades (dual wield), bombarde (bow) and Ring of the Pale Order (or Vengeance Leech set).

And yeah, I know that there are Stamblade builds that are good for grinding mobs. My Stamblade, however, isn't. ;)
    (bow, stealth, Thief Guild, single-target skills; Night's Silence, Night Mother's Embrace. Don't have any mythics yet, on any characters.)

Jaustink wrote: »
    I've just finished leveling rapport/actual level for bastian and switched over to Mirri. Been using her for a week and have just been questing, running dragonstar here and there and 2 manning dungeons/dsa with companions out and she's level 20?

I don't do dungeons or arenas, and I don't "grind mobs". That's the issue. Not everyone kills lots of mobs in the course of their regular play.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on 2 May 2022 19:39
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    slow rate ,, to leveling i think they need to update this and allow us to stick any of are armour on them why have seprate when can have stuff we find in maps, lol easier and then it don't take up too much space in the settings of the game ,, pr in inventory ...

the companions need all costume and outfits stuff we have.. so we can decorate them more hair face skin and more .. all actually.. crossing fingers for this..

new cakes for the game lol -- cream cakes .. yum .
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, as annoying as the level grind is (and I second whoever mentioned nDSA, I was farming that solo with my Bastian and XP scrolls for the lead that drops there) the reputation grind needs to be made WAY less tedious. I'm not at max on either of them and that's not from failing to try either.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for me i just took a 150% xp scroll and ran a nDSA with the companion, easy, takes about the same amount of time with 2 people and 2 companions as it does 4 actual people

takes roughly 5-7 runs to get them to 20, during double xp event helps even further

had both companions at level 20 within a month of blackwood release
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on 2 May 2022 22:38
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014