Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    You are binge-playing, if you can complete a Chapter zone in a few evenings. ZOS has to go for what an average player is doing and they basically have the data to decide what that is. If there is more content than an average player could possibly play with a normal time investment, then the average player would fall behind the story and after a while give a damn about new content, because he will never get there at his pace and with his time investment. ZOS cannot use a binge-player's time investment as rule of their development - they have to design it for an average player with an average time investment.

Well it appears the idea ZOS has of the 'average player' is not playing the game for any meaningful length of time and many of the comments here seem to reflect that sentiment as if hardly anyone has completed a chapter or two in addition to the Coldharbour storyline from the base game. The MSQs alone easily get anyone to the point in progression where overland questing and combat is trivialized to the point of one shotting mobs.

I would understand the sentiment that we're just a bunch of fringe neckbeards that don't touch grass if this was a year or two into the game's lifespan but at this point when we've had 15+ DLCs including five retail expansion packs? The 10 year anniversary is coming in two more years.

Also suggesting that we're 'playing the game wrong' because we're not creating alts as a short term remedy to the lack of difficulty in the overwhelming majority of the content being sold to us on a yearly basis is utterly ridiculous.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    How is it immersive to never be stronger than the base game [trash]mobs no matter how far a player has progressed their character?
    Which is why the 'group scaling' idea i proposed on page 61 just might be able to help.

I don't like that idea because it's forcing it on the many of us who are happy with overland just as it is.
    PCNA
    Options
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is it immersive to never be stronger than the base game [trash]mobs no matter how far a player has progressed their character?
    Which is why the 'group scaling' idea i proposed on page 61 just might be able to help.

I don't like that idea because it's forcing it on the many of us who are happy with overland just as it is.
    Well, no one is "forced" to be in a group lol , but no worries i hear ya. Although, i'm wondering if you happen to notice the many times i've mentioned how (aside from my 1st post ) i am also totally fine with overland staying the same as it is. I know i type a lot sometimes, but i'm certain to give quick 'disclaimer' sentence prior to my ideas, stating how i'm fine either way. I been here since 2013 beta and overland difficulty (easy or hard) isn't what makes or breaks my $ub. B)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on 14 January 2022 12:02
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, no one is "forced" to be in a group lol , but no worries i hear ya.

I may not be forced to group but that would definitely stop me from ever grouping which I sometimes enjoy.
    Edited by SilverBride on 10 January 2022 03:19
    PCNA
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also suggesting that we're 'playing the game wrong' because we're not creating alts as a short term remedy to the lack of difficulty in the overwhelming majority of the content being sold to us on a yearly basis is utterly ridiculous.

I never said it like this - I gave the hint, that you could eventually get a better experience, if you would create a new character AND role play him/her - as in the character is not using anything he wouldn't have, if he would be your first character, and is not using any knowledge he wouldn't have if he would be your first character - not using any resource your other characters have collected, not using their money - role playing it as if would be your first - then you could experience it in a different way and eventually learn how to role play a character. The character is not you, you should just role play him after the experiences this character makes and has made - not using any of the meta-information you have - [snip]

Furthermore do you think, ZOS would make the context like this if it wouldn't sell best this way - that they continue to do so, shows, that you guys are the exception and not the core audience - those you are looking down on - the average casual player with not that much time to play - is the core audience, that is where the money is for ZOS and where they cater the game for - they are clever enough not to cater to the binge-player and alienate the majority by it.

New content lasts for the average player for a long time - a very long time - and for you guys - a couple of evenings - so it is a waste of time to even try to do something for you, it takes long to create these zones and make them nice, and you guys just consume them in a few evenings - this is frustrating for the developers - why would they care to make your experience better - you will just need an evening more and again it will not be enough - whereas we casuals are having fun in the provided environment eventually even for years - I have just completed Stros M'kai, and wherever else I go there is always a quest available and will be for years to come - I will never complete this game - because I'm not binge-playing it.

Is Stros M'kai now vain for me - no, some of my characters grew up there and are revisiting (you know, role play, they are getting home sick) - and I train my excavators there as well. Revisiting Stros M'kai I get to see the newbies and how they play (I try to not interfere with their game play) and that is so different from how you guys are playing the game - the core audience is not playing like you and that is why you are playing it wrong - otherwise you could enjoy it like we do.

Of course you are playing it wrong - you are like a real life military tank in a sandbox for kids - the tank doesn't belong there. And now you expect ZOS to change the sandbox to cater to your military tank - do you see how ridiculous that is? And even if it would be done, it will still be and feel like a sandbox - because the environment will not change and your military tank will have to fight "trash mob", which might not be that trashy anymore - oh what a hero you will be in that sandbox - it is so ridiculous, because you guys insist on using the tank in that sandbox, instead to do what everyone else would do, adapt to the level of the others playing in that sandbox - or stay clear of it.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 10 January 2022 11:33
    Options
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never said it like this - I gave the hint, that you could eventually get a better experience, if you would create a new character AND role play him/her - as in the character is not using anything he wouldn't have, if he would be your first character, and is not using any knowledge he wouldn't have if he would be your first character - not using any resource your other characters have collected, not using their money - role playing it as if would be your first - then you could experience it in a different way and eventually learn how to role play a character. The character is not you, you should just role play him after the experiences this character makes and has made - not using any of the meta-information you have - [snip]
    I have plenty of experience with 'that kind of role playing'. It just shouldn't be a recommended playstyle for a MMORPG with light emphasis on actual roleplaying and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise, especially in such an alt-unfriendly game with a post level-cap progression system that is shared account-wide.

Why is the onus on the player to circumvent power creep instead of the developers working to fix the power creep problem?
    New content lasts for the average player for a long time - a very long time - and for you guys - a couple of evenings - so it is a waste of time to even try to do something for you, it takes long to create these zones and make them nice, and you guys just consume them in a few evenings - this is frustrating for the developers - why would they care to make your experience better - you will just need an evening more and again it will not be enough - whereas we casuals are having fun in the provided environment eventually even for years - I have just completed Stros M'kai, and wherever else I go there is always a quest available and will be for years to come - I will never complete this game - because I'm not binge-playing it.
    No one here from what I can see is suggesting otherwise. Even the most casual players should be approaching the point where progression is trivialized. If you disagree, that's fine but I'd love to see ZOS make the same argument, admitting that player retention is low and people buying their standalone expansions at retail aren't sticking around.
    Of course you are playing it wrong - you are like a real life military tank in a sandbox for kids - the tank doesn't belong there.
    Because I don't want to create alts every year and ignore the champion point progression, gold and equipment I've earned? Tell me, what happens when 2026 rolls around, I've been following your advice since Morrowind and we're still dealing with a lack of difficulty in the overland and I've run out of character slots? Will your recommendation be to buy more character slots? Frankly this kind of mentality is beyond any sort of reasonable discourse.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 10 January 2022 11:34
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have plenty of experience with 'that kind of role playing'. It just shouldn't be a recommended playstyle for a MMORPG with light emphasis on actual roleplaying and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise, especially in such an alt-unfriendly game with a post level-cap progression system that is shared account-wide.

Why is the onus on the player to circumvent power creep instead of the developers working to fix the power creep problem?
    No one here from what I can see is suggesting otherwise. Even the most casual players should be approaching the point where progression is trivialized. If you disagree, that's fine but I'd love to see ZOS make the same argument, admitting that player retention is low and people buying their standalone expansions at retail aren't sticking around.
    Of course you are playing it wrong - you are like a real life military tank in a sandbox for kids - the tank doesn't belong there.
    Because I don't want to create alts every year and ignore the champion point progression, gold and equipment I've earned? Tell me, what happens when 2026 rolls around, I've been following your advice since Morrowind and we're still dealing with a lack of difficulty in the overland and I've run out of character slots? Will your recommendation be to buy more character slots? Frankly this kind of mentality is beyond any sort of reasonable discourse.

I cannot give you the only valid advice, because ZOS would consider that baiting - now guess, what that advice would be.

That people are not sticking around after having played a DLC does not make me wonder - there are more games coming out each year than you could play in a lifetime - to "stick with the game" gets more and more unlikely - people play different games throughout the year and so it is on and off - what is currently new and exciting will be played and all other is on the shelf for the time being - that's normal, I am playing as well several games and not just one.

Is that a bad thing for ZOS, that I am playing like this - certainly not - i have subbed for 6 months, I bought extra crowns, I got me the snow globe house and a couple of costumes and the exclusive content from Elsweyr and I do not cause a big impact on their servers, because I am more not there than playing - the ideal customer, subscripted, buying crowns and is low impact on server requirements. And once I will get my private instance, they will make even more money from me - regardless if I play or not - it won't be a lot anyway, but that little time I'm playing I would like to do that in a private environment, where I am not interrupted by other players - a premium ESO is what I want.

And to the power creep problem - it is none for the majority of players. Eventually go to overland and pay attention to how people actually play the game - they can enjoy it, because they aren't overpowered like you. And I guess that most do not expect it to be a challenge, but a relaxing time in Tamriel with a little bit of not too stressful combat as well - just like it is.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 10 January 2022 11:38
    Options
  • NinjaApacHe
    NinjaApacHe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why Zos opened this thread, when they are not going to do anything about this problem. Just to make life on the forum better for newcomer? To show that everything is alright? So we come here and we fight each other for our own team? Bah.....
    CP 2120+Lord Yakhin- Magicka NB - High Elf - DC Jack Templar - Stamina Templar - Dark Elf - DC Darth Morbius - Stamina Sorcerer - Dark Elf - DC Bloody Merril - Stamina Vampire NB - Redguard - DC Master Kun - Stamina DK - Redguard - DC Exarch Kun - Magicka Vampire NB - High Elf - DC Ace Bollah - Stamina Warden - Dark Elf - DC Icy Jack - Stamina Warden - Nord - DC Prior Tedas - Stamina NB - High Elf - DC 10 traits Woodworker - lvl 50 Enchanter - lvl 50 Alchemist - 10 traits Clothier & Smither - 10 traits jewelcrafterProud member of the Band of Daggers - www.bandofdaggers.eu
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why Zos opened this thread, when they are not going to do anything about this problem. Just to make life on the forum better for newcomer? To show that everything is alright? So we come here and we fight each other for our own team? Bah.....

To reduce forum clutter
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they opened it to see if it is worth doing something or not - so far what did they get - "I want it for free, because ZOS should cater for all needs" - do you think, that makes them more likely wanting to do something about it? You guy offered nothing and expect a company to do some major work on their systems - not going to happen.

It is far more likely that I get my own private instance - because that is a real need of people who played and enjoy TES as a single player experience or just want to do that with their spouse or gf/bf - this would get them some real coin, and as this was done in Fallout 76 like this, it can't be too hard to implement that here as well.

Btw that would be a solution for you as well, if there would be a difficulty slider in a private instance - this would not effect others and you could have your experience - at a price of course, nothing is really free in life.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 11:40
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think they opened it to see if it is worth doing something or not - so far what did they get - "I want it for free, because ZOS should cater for all needs" - do you think, that makes them more likely wanting to do something about it? You guy offered nothing and expect a company to do some major work on their systems - not going to happen.

It is far more likely that I get my own private instance - because that is a real need of people who played and enjoy TES as a single player experience or just want to do that with their spouse or gf/bf - this would get them some real coin, and as this was done in Fallout 76 like this, it can't be too hard to implement that here as well.

Btw that would be a solution for you as well, if there would be a difficulty slider in a private instance - this would not effect others and you could have your experience - at a price of course, nothing is really free in life.

Is it still true that private instances are bound to Fallout 1st membership? That's the equivalent of ESO+. Well, then we have our deal.
    Options
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

To reduce forum clutter

If that would be the case the first kind of topic that would be added is anything related to “Cyrodiil performance“. It’s much more frequent, usually toxic, non constructive and provide bad PR. Harder overland request was always more tame in comparison.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »

To reduce forum clutter

If that would be the case the first kind of topic that would be added is anything related to “Cyrodiil performance“. It’s much more frequent, usually toxic, non constructive and provide bad PR. Harder overland request was always more tame in comparison.
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    The increase in weekly threads around this issue has caused some users to have a negative experience on the forum overall, leading to the threads being closed. However, we also recognize there are players who would like to discuss this topic. So, we have made a thread for players who would like to discuss the topic of Overland Content.

With the creation of this thread, please note that future threads created to address overland content will be closed and redirected to this one.

I don't disagree that other topics could have also gotten this treatment, but reduce forum clutter was explicitly cited as the reason.

Edit

They haven't excluded doing something with the feedback and even explicitly say it may be helpful in the future, but the primary reason cited was just because the topic was cluttering the boards.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 10 January 2022 12:02
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it still true that private instances are bound to Fallout 1st membership? That's the equivalent of ESO+. Well, then we have our deal.

I doubt that they will do it for the ESO+ crowd - they have this money anyway, but not more costs for servers yet - with private instances they need more server capacity - most likely not that much, if those are mainly casual players and instances can be reused - well, eventually it could even be part of ESO+ and it would be quite an incentive for those not having ESO+ yet.

With a difficulty slider it would be a win for everyone - while progressing in the game one could test out, how far one could go and if something is too difficult, get the slider back to normal - would make it quite flexible and after the current mood sometimes relaxing and sometimes a bit more challenging - I think that is the way to go, with private instances, where anyone can adjust it to their own abilities.

As to fallout 76 - I really don't know, I was just interested what the pricing there is for a private instance - 12.99/mo. or 100 dollars a year.

If ZOS adds it to ESO+, it might make them even more money than charging extra for it - because more people would go for ESO+ in this case. I wouldn't mind extra ESO premium though, but if that would make them as much money as adding it to ESO+ - I expect it to be more successful as part of ESO+ - but however they decide, I'll take it, if it is reasonably priced.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 12:24
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to "mildly disagree" with a private solo instance. While I'm perfectly happy with overland as it is (and I'm one of those who's been here "long enough" to play various chapters and DLC - but I am NOT capable of doing anything very difficult which is why I do not want forced anything harder), I DO very much like the normal atmosphere of this MMORPG, where the world looks and feels alive, vibrant, busy.

Then again, I don't need ESO to be private-instanced solo: I still play Skyrim and Oblivion as well. Or Oblivion again as well, once I clean up my install and get past the last "corrupted save" mess....
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to do a quest uninterrupted by others - this is driving me nuts to the point that I don't want to quest anymore - with a private instance what hinders me doing it, would be gone - namely other annoying players - and I could finally experience the quest as it was designed - for one person, not for a bunch of lunatics which rush through it and kill everything within seconds, take their skyshard and leave again - I want to have an experience worth it, not this MMO mess of experience. Make the feature toggle-able, and you can have your busy world when you like it or a private instance if not - to me that would be the best solution and like I said I would even be willing to pay extra for it.

to the corrupted save thing - sometimes it helps, to start a new game, save it and then load the "corrupted save" - sometimes it loads then and you can continue playing - that trick worked as well in Fallout New Vegas most of the time with corrupted saves.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 15:05
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to do a quest uninterrupted by others - this is driving me nuts to the point that I don't want to quest anymore - with a private instance what hinders me doing it, would be gone - namely other annoying players - and I could finally experience the quest as it was designed - for one person, not for a bunch of lunatics which rush through it and kill everything within seconds, take their skyshard and leave again - I want to have an experience worth it, not this MMO mess of experience.

to the corrupted save thing - sometimes it helps, to start a new game, save it and then load the "corrupted save" - sometimes it loads then and you can continue playing - that trick worked as well in Fallout New Vegas most of the time with corrupted saves.

Well, again, it would be fine if optional. I don't have the problem with feeling that my questing is interrupted by others - first because I play off peak on PC NA; second because on PC EU I wait a while before starting new quest lines so I don't have a lot of people around.

Already tried that, didn't work (actually tried it four times just to be sure). This is my game install from about 6 years ago, so it's definitely time to clean it up, redownload addons, and set it all up again.

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to do a quest uninterrupted by others - this is driving me nuts to the point that I don't want to quest anymore - with a private instance what hinders me doing it, would be gone - namely other annoying players - and I could finally experience the quest as it was designed - for one person, not for a bunch of lunatics which rush through it and kill everything within seconds, take their skyshard and leave again - I want to have an experience worth it, not this MMO mess of experience. Make the feature toggle-able, and you can have your busy world when you like it or a private instance if not - to me that would be the best solution and like I said I would even be willing to pay extra for it.

What you're describing is just part of multiplayer gaming and mmos in general. It's unlikely to ever change because at the end of the day, this game is an MMO.
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you're describing is just part of multiplayer gaming and mmos in general. It's unlikely to ever change because at the end of the day, this game is an MMO.

can be easily changed with a solution like in Fallout 76 - a private instance. It is not as if a zenimax company hasn't done it before. Another advantage would be that the general scaling could be changed, and no one else is effected but those who join into this instance - so what you guys want, more challenge could be done with it as well without effecting anyone else by doing so.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 16:47
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

can be easily changed with a solution like in Fallout 76 - a private instance. It is not as if a zenimax company hasn't done it before. Another advantage would be that the general scaling could be changed, and no one else is effected but those who join into this instance - so what you guys want, more challenge could be done with it as well without effecting anyone else by doing so.

Fallout 76 is an entirely different game though. This game was not built with that in mind. I won't deny that this solution would be give the most people a customized experience to their personal tastes, but it's just not realistic imo.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 10 January 2022 16:49
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fallout 76 is an entirely different game though. This game was not built with that in mind. I won't deny that this solution would be give the most people a customized experience to their personal tastes, but it's just not realistic imo.

that is nonsense, it has a mega server which is based on instancing - do you think all people are in the same instance when you go to a hub - there are several instances of it - and when you group with people you are transferred to the same instance by the server - the technology is there already. it just has to be adapted to a new feature.

Or to give a different example - if you don't group with someone and you want to meet at the same wayshrine - it can be you end up both in the same instance - then you see each other - but it can as well be, that you end up in different instances, you are both at the same wayshrine, but can't see each other, because you are in different instances of the region.

'And a private instance would work in a similar way - you arrive at a wayshrine, but instead to be set into an existing instance with players around, the server creates a new instance and sets you in that one - now you are alone there - no one else will be put into this instance, if he isn't grouped up with you and gets there after you - because grouping up is sharing the same instance. And when you leave the instance, it is destroyed and a new instance will be created at the new location where you arrive - so you will always use the same instance, as long as you want this feature active - if you deactivate it, you will be put into a public instance again - like when not questing it is nice to have others around, but when questing you can be on your own - or when you want more challenge.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 17:18
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that is nonsense, it has a mega server which is based on instancing - do you think all people are in the same instance when you go to a hub - there are several instances of it - and when you group with people you are transferred to the same instance by the server - the technology is there already. it just has to be adapted to a new feature.

Or to give a different example - if you don't group with someone and you want to meet at the same wayshrine - it can be you end up both in the same instance - then you see each other - but it can as well be, that you end up in different instances, you are both at the same wayshrine, but can't see each other, because you are in different instances of the region.

There's a difference between a handful of instances that they can expand and shrink as needed to fit the population of a zone, and a ton of standalone instances that they cannot. I really cannot think of any MMOs that added a feature like that years into the game.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 10 January 2022 17:12
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a difference between a handful of instances that they can expand and shrink as needed to fit the population of a zone, and a ton of standalone instances that they cannot. I really cannot think of any MMOs that added a feature like that years into the game.

Well, I don 't know if the game is in the cloud or not - if in the cloud it is no problem to get more processing power - and if that is a paid feature, it is well worth the effort for ZOS - if it is not in the cloud yet, it could be problematic, that is true - but then it is eventually time to get the server into cloud space, that it is better scalable. There are just as many additional instances required as there are parallel playing private instance owners online though - it might not be that many at the same time.

I think a rule of thumb for that is 5% of the owners at prime time. I mean ZOS just needs to ask Bethesda, they have the data how many use that in parallel. Then same regions could stack their private instances - there are just one or a few people in each of them, a couple of them could run on the same core - you need multiple region data, but not necessarily one core per private instance this way.

Always this argument like hasn't been done before - well, then it is time to do it, isn't it?- what kind of an argument is that for an innovative company, none actually. And the technology is there, the mega server is a flexible multi-instanced system.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 17:57
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, I don 't know if the game is in the cloud or not - if in the cloud it is no problem to get more processing power - and if that is a paid feature, it is well worth the effort for ZOS - if it is not in the cloud yet, it could be problematic, that is true - but then it is eventually time to get the server into cloud space, that it is better scalable. There are just as many additional instances required as there are parallel playing private instance owners online though - it might not be that many at the same time.

I think a rule of thumb for that is 5% of the owners at prime time. I mean ZOS just needs to ask Bethesda, they have the data how many use that in parallel.

Its not in the cloud, its megaservers in the US and (I think) Germany.
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

I think a rule of thumb for that is 5% of the owners at prime time. I mean ZOS just needs to ask Bethesda, they have the data how many use that in parallel.

Its not in the cloud, its megaservers in the US and (I think) Germany.

but the question is - is it in a data center or cloud space - in a data center one would most likely need to rent a few more server blades to run this, in cloud space it would be a lot easier to scale it up.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 18:04
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that is for ZOS to consider if they firstly are interested in it at all and secondly if it is doable for them and thirdly if they want to do it at all. I think it would be a good idea, but that is up to ZOS to decide.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splitting the playerbase up into multiple private instances would be very bad for the game. ESO is a multiplayer game and interaction with other players is a big part of that.
    Edited by SilverBride on 10 January 2022 18:10
    PCNA
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splitting the playerbase up into multiple private instances would be very bad for the game. ESO is a multiplayer game and interaction with other players is a big part of that.

it is not hindered by that - if it would be deactivated - I would just use it for questing for example - otherwise I am fine with people around, just with questing they are a real annoyance.

And then again, the argument of the many in private instances - that would show, how much of a need it actually is and that a whole lot do NOT want to play with others - but that is not likely to happen, some will use it, most will not. What is ok for a premium feature. And then that problem is not there at all.

I interact with pretty much no one, I'm not a loss for the community when I am in a private instance - and a lot of others are as well never interacting with others. For us that is not a big part, but a big annoyance.
    Edited by Lysette on 10 January 2022 18:19
    Options
  • StevieKingslayer
    StevieKingslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Zenimax cannot, and will not give us veteran overland. Fine. I accept it, and I have always said I will accept it. But I want to see more for the mid tier/end game community. Im sorry, But 4 dungeons a year is not enough when you run 20+ vet dungeons a day. I do that on one toon, for fun. I dont even do the whole alt thing. I might jump on my healer or tank occasionally, but most of my gameplay is on one toon for pve. If I sat there and told you guys, that you had to only do the bal foyen quests, over and over, for an entire year - You'd lose your darn marbles (as to be expected - This is what is being asked of us in the mid tier/end game community, to just sit in the same difficulty levels, or exact same content for long periods of time because we cannot enjoy overland in the basic state that it is in, even limiting ourselves) Can we please come to a consensus that if veteran overland is not an option for the game moving forward, that we need to look into more dungeon/trial content releases in a year then? And I dont want anyone sitting there and saying the dungeon quality will suffer if they deliver more - No. That is what all my money goes towards, staffing costs as far as Im concerned, they can hire more staff to deliver this so their team is not overworked. (Not to mention, you cant fool me Zenimax, I see you're using hammers in dungeons in place of hooks for torture devices. I got my eye on you :D )

How many players do 20+ vet dungeons each day? I would bet it is a very small number. I barely do 1 each day, normal, across my characters.

I may be the odd one out, but I bet I am closer to the norm than the other end.

You would be very surprised. People are geode hungry, Look at rich himself, running random vets all the time for 6+hrs on stream. There is a larger amount of us than you give us credit for. :D You really need to stop focusing on "we are the bigger group", it legitimately doesn't matter. You could have 1 more people or 50 more people, it doesn't matter. We count too. The only division I see here is people saying ZOS should do nothing because "we" aren't the majority. According to you. I honestly don't care who is the majority. I care about -everyone- getting as fair a solution as possible. That includes the normal runners, the casuals, the vets and the people here struggling with disabilities/age and ping (which I suffer the ping factor myself and occasional limited hand movement due to mini strokes). There needs to be a solution that is "ok" for everyone. Regardless of "whos bigger".
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.
    Majin Stevie || Iothane || Nymphetamine
    PVP || PVE
    Player since beta.
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lysette Rich Lambert has said that it is not cloud technology, they designed their own architecture for the megaservers
    Soupy twist
    Options