The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bastian told me "I like Vampires."

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vallisas wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Morag Tong is still repairing it's rep and thus a Daggerfall character may not have a good view towards it. Bastian is familiar with the noble houses and one of them is a house of vampires that also help us. Count Verandis. Bastian would probably be aware of him and have a good opinion of their work. He'd probably also be sympathetic to the idea that they aren't choosing to kill for a living but rather have a disease that compels them too. Thus the choice they must make is NOT killing and it's a difficult one.

House Ravenwatch being good aligned vampires is very much a secret that only very few people are aware of. In the questline it's often mentioned how they are distrusted, but that's not because they're vampires, but because the Count used to have ties with House Montclair,the instigators of the hostilities around Shornhelm during the quests. Also a likely extra cause for mistrust and dislike is that he's an altmer from what's said to be an old family, I assume his lineage being a holdout from back when the elves ruled over High Rock.

The player character learns of the vampire stuff during the questline, so if you're questing there with Bastian technically he'd learn that as well. But by default I'd say he likely isn't aware, as their vampirism is a well-kept secret known only to a very few. A favourite pastime for the traditionally very quarrelsome Breton nobility is scheming and backstabbing, and outing a rival House as vampires is likely a good cause for any ambitious social climber to incite a political scandal / angry mob uprising and take their lands for themselves. Especially since vampires are generally portrayed as evil in the setting, with the occasional good aligned vampire being very rare.

Bastian's family was not only nobility connected to High King before the betrayal, but he also was taken in by another Noble family of far reaching influence and wealth. Add to the fact he is quite knowledgeable on social matters, i'd say it's not much of a stretch that he knows. Not like he was raised by some peasants lmao, he was pretty much brought up within the elite upperclass.

And he knows like all the dirt like which noble brats are dabbling in cultist stuff. I think he'd not only know but he probably doesn't have a ton of experience with other vampires.

Edited by spartaxoxo on 21 June 2021 18:11
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't like vampires? They can sometimes turn into giant bat monsters and have cute fangs.
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't like vampires? They can sometimes turn into giant bat monsters and have cute fangs.

I wish they had visible fangs, at least when in combat and during feeding.
    Edited by SilverBride on 21 June 2021 19:14
    PCNA
  • Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian informed me last night the real reason he hates cheese is it gives him terrible digestive problems.

Whoever wrote the lines for the companions did excellent work!! LOL
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same.

Only reason we don't have it is because vampirisim in ESO is a skin instead of an actual physical change. :disappointed:
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orion_89 wrote: »
    Bastian's secret line:
    I like vampires. They suck well. I mean blood.

Wait...so that's what he drinks at the traven? 🧐
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I discovered that I didn't need to have subtitles on. All I had to do was check NPC in the options of any chat window and it would transcribe their audio chat. I did make a specific window for it though.

I went and fed several times and couldn't get him to say it again but I will keep this chat window in case he does again sometime.

Good inquiring minds must know... maybe he drinks something a little red at traven instead of milk
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on 21 June 2021 20:45
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastian also likes to say 'I like Sithis'...
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Only reason we don't have it is because vampirisim in ESO is a skin instead of an actual physical change. :disappointed:

That is something they really should fix. A Vampire should look human and blend into society so they can hide in plain site.
    They should only change form when they are feeding or in combat. It works for Werewolves so why not Vampire's too?
    PCNA
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morag Tong is still repairing it's rep and thus a Daggerfall character may not have a good view towards it. Bastian is familiar with the noble houses and one of them is a house of vampires that also help us. Count Verandis. Bastian would probably be aware of him and have a good opinion of their work. He'd probably also be sympathetic to the idea that they aren't choosing to kill for a living but rather have a disease that compels them too. Thus the choice they must make is NOT killing and it's a difficult one.

House Ravenwatch being good aligned vampires is very much a secret that only very few people are aware of. In the questline it's often mentioned how they are distrusted, but that's not because they're vampires, but because the Count used to have ties with House Montclair,the instigators of the hostilities around Shornhelm during the quests. Also a likely extra cause for mistrust and dislike is that he's an altmer from what's said to be an old family, I assume his lineage being a holdout from back when the elves ruled over High Rock.

The player character learns of the vampire stuff during the questline, so if you're questing there with Bastian technically he'd learn that as well. But by default I'd say he likely isn't aware, as their vampirism is a well-kept secret known only to a very few. A favourite pastime for the traditionally very quarrelsome Breton nobility is scheming and backstabbing, and outing a rival House as vampires is likely a good cause for any ambitious social climber to incite a political scandal / angry mob uprising and take their lands for themselves. Especially since vampires are generally portrayed as evil in the setting, with the occasional good aligned vampire being very rare.

Bastian's family was not only nobility connected to High King before the betrayal, but he also was taken in by another Noble family of far reaching influence and wealth. Add to the fact he is quite knowledgeable on social matters, i'd say it's not much of a stretch that he knows. Not like he was raised by some peasants lmao, he was pretty much brought up within the elite upperclass.

In a feudal hierarchy like High Rock, all nobility is ultimately connected to the king, and high king in this case, through oaths of homage and fealty. Though it is explicitly mentioned in Bastian's 1st quest, that House Silvelle is a minor noble house, where the lord of House Hallix was an advisor at Emeric's court, before they were stripped of all titles and holdings. Bastian was indeed very much brought up in the elite upper class of Breton society, but even in the upper class there are many different layers, and High Rock is said to have countless noble houses.

I strongly doubt that Emeric's entire circle of advisors would be aware of such a delicate matter as House Ravenwatch being vampires. Vampires are not regarded as valuable members of society, in the setting, but as inhuman monsters instead. So even with Bastian being knowledgeable on social matters, I think it's unlikely for such things to be casually discussed, if they are widespread knowledge at all. I think the number of people who are aware of this could probably easily be counted on one hand, a scion of a disgraced family like Bastian, likely not being one of them. Not even House Dorrell and House Tamrith seem to be aware of it, and they are two of the major houses in the region.

On a slightly related note, I thought it was interesting that Bastian's father was an advisor at Emeric's court. Since House Hallix is a noble house in the kingdom of Daggerfall, which means they are sworn to House Deleyn, Daggerfall's ruling family. (who are in turn sworn to House Cumberland of Wayrest, Emeric's family, due to his position as high king). So Lord Martell Hallix being an advisor at Emeric's court, likely indicates that Emeric has advisors from all kingdoms (or most, but I expect there to be at least two dozen) of High Rock: Wayrest, Daggerfall, Shornhelm, Evermore, Camlorn (though the latter is a duchy). It was something I always assumed but it was never stated outright, so that's another nice gap in lore filled.

Bastian's dialogue has been a goldmine so far, for insight into some of the High Rock nobility stuff that was still unclear. It's largely based on real world history, but there's some important distinctions (like nobles are 'ranked' not by title, but by the size and importance of their holdings).
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just learned from another thread that we can choose how frequently the companions react to us. It's under settings > gameplay. I set mine to frequent to see if I can get him to say he likes Vampires again.
    PCNA
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    SilverBride I was thinking, could he have said "I like campfires" instead of vampires? As that's one of his lines too. Were you by a campfire where you fed? lol
    Edited by vallisas on 22 June 2021 14:59
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverBride I was thinking, could he have said "I like campfires" instead of vampires? As that's one of his lines too. Were you by a campfire where you fed? lol

It's possible that there may have been a campfire near by, but I don't remember. I wondered if I had just heard wrong, which is why I asked if anyone else ever heard him say it. I've misunderstood what he's said before so that's possible, but now with my NPC tab I can verify what he said.

I'm going to take him around to some campfires today to check this out, although I really do hope he said he likes Vampires. :smiley:
    PCNA
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's possible that there may have been a campfire near by, but I don't remember. I wondered if I had just heard wrong, which is why I asked if anyone else ever heard him say it. I've misunderstood what he's said before so that's possible, but now with my NPC tab I can verify what he said.

I'm going to take him around to some campfires today to check this out, although I really do hope he said he likes Vampires. :smiley:

I am sad to see this too, cause it's very likely it was a campire thing.

Take him to the bank in Riften, he LOVES playing the 'I like campfires, they attract interesting people' line there.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »

But it may not have been. He said it right after seeing me feed so it's quite possible he said Vampires.
    Edited by SilverBride on 22 June 2021 16:11
    PCNA
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assassin's at least kill for a job. Vampires mostly, quite literally, kill to survive and don't have a moral compass.

Are you sure you don't have that reversed? Killing for money = good, but killing for survival = bad?

Most countries in the world would have laws against hired killers, but have certain legal exceptions if you kill to save yourself or someone else.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Assassin's at least kill for a job. Vampires mostly, quite literally, kill to survive and don't have a moral compass.

Are you sure you don't have that reversed? Killing for money = good, but killing for survival = bad?

Most countries in the world would have laws against hired killers, but have certain legal exceptions if you kill to save yourself or someone else.

Just about EVERY living thing kills to survive, so it's kinda hilarious to see that NGL.

Predatory wildlife kill to survive, doesn't make them evil.
    Humans (and ESO versions of people, all the current races, khajiit, argonian men and mer) they all kill to survive too, whether for food or cause they're fighting over a resource.

Do some vampires go overboard and delve into torture and enjoy the kill too much? Very much so. But those that do not go overboard and literally just kill to survive? How is that evil?

I agree they have it VERY reversed.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But it may not have been. He said it right after seeing me feed so it's quite possible he said Vampires.

That would be cool, were you feeding off an enemy NPC? (Like a bandit?)
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There was also that nice Khajiit vampire in Elsweyr.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be cool, were you feeding off an enemy NPC? (Like a bandit?)

Yes.
    PCNA
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a feudal hierarchy like High Rock, all nobility is ultimately connected to the king, and high king in this case, through oaths of homage and fealty. Though it is explicitly mentioned in Bastian's 1st quest, that House Silvelle is a minor noble house, where the lord of House Hallix was an advisor at Emeric's court, before they were stripped of all titles and holdings. Bastian was indeed very much brought up in the elite upper class of Breton society, but even in the upper class there are many different layers, and High Rock is said to have countless noble houses.

I strongly doubt that Emeric's entire circle of advisors would be aware of such a delicate matter as House Ravenwatch being vampires. Vampires are not regarded as valuable members of society, in the setting, but as inhuman monsters instead. So even with Bastian being knowledgeable on social matters, I think it's unlikely for such things to be casually discussed, if they are widespread knowledge at all. I think the number of people who are aware of this could probably easily be counted on one hand, a scion of a disgraced family like Bastian, likely not being one of them. Not even House Dorrell and House Tamrith seem to be aware of it, and they are two of the major houses in the region.

On a slightly related note, I thought it was interesting that Bastian's father was an advisor at Emeric's court. Since House Hallix is a noble house in the kingdom of Daggerfall, which means they are sworn to House Deleyn, Daggerfall's ruling family. (who are in turn sworn to House Cumberland of Wayrest, Emeric's family, due to his position as high king). So Lord Martell Hallix being an advisor at Emeric's court, likely indicates that Emeric has advisors from all kingdoms (or most, but I expect there to be at least two dozen) of High Rock: Wayrest, Daggerfall, Shornhelm, Evermore, Camlorn (though the latter is a duchy). It was something I always assumed but it was never stated outright, so that's another nice gap in lore filled.

Bastian's dialogue has been a goldmine so far, for insight into some of the High Rock nobility stuff that was still unclear. It's largely based on real world history, but there's some important distinctions (like nobles are 'ranked' not by title, but by the size and importance of their holdings).

Actually many of the people involved in the Rivenspire questline are aware the House is full of vampires.
    Here are some spoilers:
    Verandis mentions that the Countess would rather pray for his lost soul than have a rational discussion with him.

Also when you reach the pinnacle of the questline, at the Doomcrag, Baron Dorell straight up says that "for a vampire, the Count turned out to be pretty honorable" (this conversation happens after the Count sacrifices himself).

Other mentions include the Captain Janeve mentioning that she could, indeed become a good vampire because "we've seen it before".

Darien calling Gwendis "that vampire vixen" or Skordo off-handedly mentioning how he appreciates that Gwendis won't be joining for the initial assault on Northpoint because he's uncomfortable he is with the idea of friendly vampires.

So yes, these people are fully aware of the status of House Ravenwatch.

Including Emeric. Verandis stated that he hid his true nature on Emeric's orders. And Emeric himself mentions how he spent time as a boy under Verandis' tutelage. Emeric cautions you that the family "has...strange customs, but can be trusted". The way he pauses and dodges implies that he is fully aware as well.

The Montclairs straight up talk about House Ravenwatch being vampires several times in the dream walk quest.

It's a good possibility that House Hallix, being very close to the King, might feasibly be aware of House Ravenwatch. But it's not guaranteed. We don't really know much about House Hallix and what the precise sort of duties they may have had; it's possible that their paths simply never crossed with anyone of House Ravenwatch. Verandis never struck me as the sort of person who frequented the King's court for social events.
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭

I am surprised no rapport drop over this, but again being from daggerfall it makes some sense. Sometimes bandits are at campfires though. Was it at a camp or just some stray bandit somewhere lol