Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests

• Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    It has probably been suggested before (not gonna read 800 comments), but why, instead of introducing some sort of AOE cooldown followed by a re-design of a lot of AOE skills, don't they just re-design a good portion of the AOE skills into single-target skills right away?

Because if even only 1 AoE skill is available it will be used by the groups. Then the skill will be executed every second and the pressure on the server it will be the same.

If someone wants to recast Wall of Elements or Caltrops every second, I'm fine with that.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of the AOE skills on the list make no sense, and proposed changes will have zero reduction of performance impact.

AOE skills like Necrotic Potency or Repentance, these skills continually scan a large radius and only become able to be activated once they find corpses to function against. These are a permanent and continuous AOE check just or having the skill on the bar. I don't know what the frequency is, I assume 1 scan per GCD. None of the proposed changes will reduce the load they create.

AOE dots like Wall of Elements, Orbs, Boundless Storm. These will perform their AOE calculation once or twice a second after casting for the duration, Casting Boundless once generates the same server load as spamming Impulse 23 times in a row. Cool downs, cost increases, have no impact.
    Edited by katorga on 17 August 2020 13:37
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boundless Storm is one of the examples that could just be reworked. The AOE damage and area is laughable, the only real benefit is that it procs Surge now and then (used to proc Implosion in the past, but that's gone).
    Remove the AOE, improve non-pet-sorc healing a little bit to compensate, move on to check the next skill. This is how an AOE performance audit could work out. Not by introducing cooldowns or cost increases for minuscle AOE side effects on basically buff- or single target skills.
    Edited by Bergzorn on 17 August 2020 16:48
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Demonhunter
    Demonhunter
    ✭✭
    Cooldowns will definetely help on performance. We just don't want ability spamming with infinite resources to ruin our game period.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So are we a week away from hell month?
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late but if this change go through I’d honestly stop playing. I wouldn’t even be able to play my favorite class anymore without it being annoying, Templar is already a clunky class.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    29 pages, and deafening silence once more.

I’d like an explanation to what the aoe test will do with the self resurrection, what ever costume that now allows for the hit box to be missing, that engine one can find on youtube and buy, or the tea bagging?

And. If the aoe test results in changes, what y’all gonna do with the skills reform? Or are we going to pretend it will not interfere in skill use, so it’ll need another reconstruction?

Or do we not have a plan at all? Because that’s what the silence hints?
  • MTC
    MTC
    Soul Shriven
    Have not read all, maybe this has been said before.

I think this is just part of a greater plan.

ZOS want to close some of the gap between highly skilled players and the mass.
    I think the cooldown thingy will do just that to some extent, but this is not the last action.

Why? Because highly skilled players "hurts" the mass.
    They want more mass in PvP and does not care if some of the elite bails because their god mode takes a hit.

- Another perfect fit into this is the Vigor<->Manouver skill swap that will force players to do a lot more PvP to get Rapid Manouver.
    => More new players will start doing PvP regularly.

If there is Noob-Mass-Elite, myself belong in the mass after two years in Cyro.

This will ofc benefit me, but maybe I think differently the day I consider myself elite and wish the gap was bigger.

Cheers.
    Edited by MTC on 19 August 2020 08:14
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MTC wrote: »

I think the cooldown thingy will do just that to some extent, but this is not the last action.

They want more mass in PvP and does not care if some of the elite bails because their god mode takes a hit.

- Another perfect fit into this is the Vigor<->Manouver skill swap that will force players to do a lot more PvP to get Rapid Manouver.

This will ofc benefit me, but maybe I think differently the day I consider myself elite and wish the gap was bigger.

Cheers.

If they do end up using cooldowns, and any good players remain, then trust me good players will just learn how to use those cooldowns smarter.
    In other mmos with cooldowns this is already a thing.
    You don't actually need lightning fast reflexes for eso, but rather good timing, split second decision making etc.
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmukkeHeks wrote: »
    29 pages, and deafening silence once more.

I’d like an explanation to what the aoe test will do with the self resurrection, what ever costume that now allows for the hit box to be missing, that engine one can find on youtube and buy, or the tea bagging?

And. If the aoe test results in changes, what y’all gonna do with the skills reform? Or are we going to pretend it will not interfere in skill use, so it’ll need another reconstruction?

Or do we not have a plan at all? Because that’s what the silence hints?

I don't get why they'd need to say anything else, the test will go on, we'll get results. Those exploits are pretty irrelevant to an aoe test. Teabagging, also a non-issue.
  • MTC
    MTC
    Soul Shriven
    Firstmep wrote: »
    MTC wrote: »

Cheers.

If they do end up using cooldowns, and any good players remain, then trust me good players will just learn how to use those cooldowns smarter.
    In other mmos with cooldowns this is already a thing.
    You don't actually need lightning fast reflexes for eso, but rather good timing, split second decision making etc.

Obviously. The gap actually exists and can be both decreased and increased. Good players will always be in top WITHIN that skill gap.

So, I totally agree.
    Edited by MTC on 19 August 2020 14:20
  • Demonhunter
    Demonhunter
    ✭✭
    So i guess some of you think zerg balls with unlimited resources and un-stoppable groups are skill based? There is no counter-play because people just spam abilities endlessly. The skill is not figuring out what to spec every member of the group and what ability to use over and over again, that's not skill. Good skilled players is to know when and what to use at the right time to defeat your opponents, but if a zerg ball has no counter play and chasing them around endlessly with no results it means it's un-balanced.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

Originally, we had planned to begin these tests next Monday to coincide with Update 27’s PC launch. We will now instead be starting the tests in Cyrodiil on Tuesday, September 8. We’ll post a full outline of all the planned tests and their start/end dates in the next couple weeks. In general, you can expect each test to last approximately one week.

It’s also worth noting that during our initial testing on the PTS (which again, was just to ensure everything was functioning properly) we decided to add a couple additional tests involving groups. We’ll include the details of these tests in the aforementioned forum post that will be published around the beginning of September.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Originally, we had planned to begin these tests next Monday to coincide with Update 27’s PC launch. We will now instead be starting the tests in Cyrodiil on Tuesday, September 8. We’ll post a full outline of all the planned tests and their start/end dates in the next couple weeks. In general, you can expect each test to last approximately one week.

It’s also worth noting that during our initial testing on the PTS (which again, was just to ensure everything was functioning properly) we decided to add a couple additional tests involving groups. We’ll include the details of these tests in the aforementioned forum post that will be published around the beginning of September.

Cool beans, thanks for the heads up.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for em
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please whatever you do, please keep Cyrodiil group orientated, starting to sense what happened to BGs happening to Cyro.
    Edited by TequilaFire on 19 August 2020 16:39
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would any of this this help, really?

Just an anecdot: Went into Cyrodiil very early last week. Zero bars across all alliances. Saw perhaps 10 players in the entire zone over the course of 1½ hours. No real map activity, unless me and my one (1) friends were involved.

We still had lots of loadscreens before we even properly left the Pact base. Having lag and abilities/light attacks not going off, being 2 players fighting NPC guards on resources. Having these "freeze screens" about 2-5 seconds long every now and then.

How has this anything to do with "performance"? Isn't the game even supposed to be able of playing, when there's hardly even anyone present? PVE works fine with 12 men spamming abilities like crazy, in Cyrodiil you can't be TWO guys fighting a handful of guards, or even ride across the map? It doesn't make any sense at all. AOE's etc. maybe don't make it BETTER, but there must be more important/obvious matters to deal with here.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm groups test sounds intriguing. Why wait until September to spill the beans?
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Limit group size to 4man maximum please.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

They could still stack groups and cause non-group AoE.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

They could still stack groups and cause non-group AoE.

And limit group utility skills to group only so it wont be profitable to stack 4+4+4+4+4..
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Strongly disagree.
    That is what Battlegrounds are for.
    Most of us would go for a 12 man group but 4 man is not what Cyro was ever about.

Edited by TequilaFire on 19 August 2020 19:47
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Strongly disagree.
    That is what Battlegrounds are for.
    Most of us would go for a 12 man group but 4 man is not what Cyro was ever about.

Time has changed. just like battlegrounds are no longer for 4man :trollface:
    Edited by Cinbri on 19 August 2020 21:11
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

ESO receives a 2-week stay of execution.

Who knows? Maybe in that time, someone will realize that killing the patient in order to cure it isn't such a brilliant idea after all.
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    [snip] Just let them test first.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 20 August 2020 12:34
  • oMrRust
    oMrRust
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would kill the game, I believe many people would not be interested in doing content anymore.
    I'd rather suffer with lag.. I only ever suffer lag in PVP, not PVE.

My suggestions
    Lower the population per alliance for Cyrodiil, add maybe 2 more 30 day campaigns to account for the minimizing population for Cyrodiil.
  • derpy_cat1234
    derpy_cat1234
    ✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    PVE works fine with 12 men spamming abilities like crazy

Top 10 quotes that didn't age well.
    In all seriousness don't mess up with game mechanics 6 years after the game's release. K thanks ZOS

Edited by derpy_cat1234 on 20 August 2020 09:02
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If anything it should be 12 people like in trials
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm quite sure there's more to this "delay" then what is being officially reported.

Edited by The_Lex on 20 August 2020 14:23
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    I'm quite sure there's more to this "delay" then what is being officially reported.

There usually is, but we are left to speculate the rest.

Badgers cause lag! Could a developer confirm this please?
This discussion has been closed.