Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Low resolution problem

TheDunadan
TheDunadan
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone, I'm writing here because after a long discussion with ESO support, they told me to write this down here, to see if any other players had encountered this problem...

Basically, when I open the game, in the main menu I go to settings, then when I click on the resolution drop-down menu to see which resolutions are available my highest one is 1440x900!

Also, I noticed that if I I go to system preferences and I click on displays, if I set resolution to scaled and I choose to scale it to 1920x1200, if I reopen the game, the option to put my resolution to 1680x1050 appears! Same thing when I scale it down to 1024x640 for example… I get 800x600 as the top one resolution that I can choose! It seems that the game available resolutions are affected by how I set my display to be scaled...
Another clue that I found was that my eso.app is still Version 1.0.0 and Open in Low Resolution is checked (and I can't change it)...

I would like to add that game runs very slow, and I don't think it should (I read the system requirements!)... If I put everything to the max I have between 5 and 20 FPS if I'm especially lucky!

Do anyone has any ideas why I'm having these problems? I have played ESO since Yosemite and I had these problems too.

My system is: Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Mid 2012), 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB DD3 1600 MHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure the game is using the graphics card (NVidia), that it's not using the integrated graphics (Intel)?

I hope you'll find people who play on Macs too, so that they can help you with that! In the meantime, make sure your NVidia card has its drivers installed. :)
    Edited by ladyonthemoon on 21 October 2015 11:34
  • TheDunadan
    TheDunadan
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah, I'm sure, I tested it with gfxCardStatus, a tool who allows you to see which card is in use... Unfortunately on "official" Macs you can't update your drivers, unless you have an Hackintosh... They are updated directly by Apple with their OS X updates! But thank you for your advices!
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case: do you have the same problems with other games, games that have equivalent requirements?
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    TheDunadan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,.

Hi TheDunadan

ESO does not run at full retina resolution of your Mac Book Pro.

Theres a good reason for that.

The GPU is way to slow.

They GPUs are not designed to power modern games at 2880x1800.

ESO was designed before Retina displays existed.

ESO was designed to run at NORMAL monitor resolutions of the day.

That would be a res of 1920x1080 at the high end.

The Retina displays have twice the pixels to draw.

Anyhow what you should do is set your DISPLAY settings to Default ( that is 1440x900 )

ESO will run at that resolution NOT retina which would be at least double that.

Then set the game to medium graphics settings and you should be good to go.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post