Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dodge roll cost

Domander
Domander
✭✭✭✭✭
So.. the idea struck me that maybe to make dodge roll a bit more meaningful would be to make the general stamina cost reduction not apply to it anymore. I would propose this reduction moved to the current "shield play" enchantment and change the "shield play" enchantment to a "defense cost" enchantment instead. This would mean a choice between defense cost and ability cost.

I doubt if this would fix the unlimited resource issue.. but maybe it would help make dodge roll something not spammed quite as much, with no regard for the resource cost.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone using dodge roll is an unlimited-resource build spamming the roll over and over. A change like this would hurt my all-heavy armor DK who deals damage with stamina attacks and relies on both blocking and dodge rolling for defense.

Besides i do not see a problem, if someone is specced for infinite dodge rolling then he has sacrificed both damage and hitpoints, and can still die in 2-3 hits if you hit him in between the rolls. Seriously, count how many dodge rolls this guy did, and he still died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9rj0XZJas
  • Iyas
    Iyas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this thread again. Search function is your friend. Ezareth made more or less the same suggestions.
    Noricum/ Kitesquad/ PC/EU

Kitesquad Vol. 1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tGxK9KRrEI
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Not everyone using dodge roll is an unlimited-resource build spamming the roll over and over. A change like this would hurt my all-heavy armor DK who deals damage with stamina attacks and relies on both blocking and dodge rolling for defense.

Besides i do not see a problem, if someone is specced for infinite dodge rolling then he has sacrificed both damage and hitpoints, and can still die in 2-3 hits if you hit him in between the rolls. Seriously, count how many dodge rolls this guy did, and he still died:

True, maybe some other solution would be better... it's just frustrating that some players get to the point of resource cost being of no concern. It's a trend I see.. get to the point you don't run out of resources then use the most powerful things as much as you want (dodge roll, shields, escapes,heals, etc)

This thought about dodge roll came to me after I started attacking someone and all they did was dodge roll.. literally all they did lol. Resource management has always been a skill.. and some players are just bypassing the need for it now.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iyas wrote: »
    Not this thread again. Search function is your friend. Ezareth made more or less the same suggestions.

Yeah, I saw his thread, it was a giant wall of text that I didn't want to read, lol.
  • Cinnamon_Spider
    Cinnamon_Spider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »

Yeah, I saw his thread, it was a giant wall of text that I didn't want to read, lol.
    You probably should read it. He mentioned the issues with dodge roll and with regen in general, which you made another post about.

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161212/rise-of-the-perma-dodger
    Cinn #SorcLivesMatter
    Exquisite Bedlam - Sorcerer AD rank 34
    Cinnamonspiderdreams - Sorcerer EP rank 24
    Synaris Astarte - Templar DC rank 24
    Cinnamon Spider - Nightblade AD

Youtube - Cinnamon_Spider
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably should read it. He mentioned the issues with dodge roll and with regen in general, which you made another post about.

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161212/rise-of-the-perma-dodger

My post about regen is both kinds, not just stamina. It's also more generalized and I want it to be talked about without being tied to dodge rolling. When you try to jam a bunch of stuff into a post like that it doesn't really end up being as productive imo, though more informative and argument supporting.

I create threads for discussion of things that I see a need.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem are infinite resources and cost reduction, not specific abilities/actions. Changing the cost of spammable powerful abilities will just make them useless once resource management will count more again in a fight.
    Edited by ToRelax on 1 May 2015 12:25
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I understand your point about some builds not being able to obtain near unlimited doge rolls, but you are kidding yourself if you think all builds that are specced for infinite dodge roll sacrifice damage. I see you posting around alliance war forums and there are vids of Sypher and Benzy having extreme burst DPS combined with unlimited dodge rolling. The two are not mutually exclusive.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So.. the idea struck me that maybe to make dodge roll a bit more meaningful would be to make the general stamina cost reduction not apply to it anymore. I would propose this reduction moved to the current "shield play" enchantment and change the "shield play" enchantment to a "defense cost" enchantment instead. This would mean a choice between defense cost and ability cost.

I doubt if this would fix the unlimited resource issue.. but maybe it would help make dodge roll something not spammed quite as much, with no regard for the resource cost.

Is today "Rehash Ezareth's arguments into my own Thread Day" or what?
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue does seem to be tied to cost reductions and the overall resource management game. There are some who do not want to play the resource game, and will stubbornly try to work around the core mechanic of combat (I have met someone who quit because 1.6.0 made resource management matter). Ignoring the Champion System for now (as it will need fine tuning later), cost reduction, maximum resources and regeneration need to be looked at and fine tuned. The bases for each is at a good spot, but how they interact with abilities, defensive maneuvers, and scale at high values are balance breaking.

Cost reduction is mentioned in the OP, it affects all things that cost the specified resource, allowing for a circumvention of resource management.

Maximum resources, at high values, allow for excessive burst damage and Hardened Ward strength (it's been talked about a lot, I think we all know Hardened Ward is the only damage shield to scale off Magicka and block all incoming damage types).

Regeneration, if focused on, can exceed 4,000, also circumventing resource management.

To go through suggested tweaks for each:
    Cost Reduction applies to abilities of the respective resource, not defensive maneuvers like Break Free and Dodge Roll.

Maximum Resources should not affect the strength of abilities, making ability strength dependent solely on Weapon/Spell Power.
    Maximum Resources should scale logarithmically, contributing less and less to ability strength as the resource rises above a soft cap. The Maximum Value is not soft capped.

Look over the means by which to increase regeneration, including Champion System, sets, Racial passives, and Armor passives, and balance accordingly.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

I understand your point about some builds not being able to obtain near unlimited doge rolls, but you are kidding yourself if you think all builds that are specced for infinite dodge roll sacrifice damage. I see you posting around alliance war forums and there are vids of Sypher and Benzy having extreme burst DPS combined with unlimited dodge rolling. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm specced for extreme damage, I have 900 stamina recovery with tri pot up on my DK..

I could probably get more..but then i'm in the 17000 health ballpark on a class with like zero mobility.

• cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

I'm specced for extreme damage, I have 900 stamina recovery with tri pot up on my DK..

I could probably get more..but then i'm in the 17000 health ballpark on a class with like zero mobility.

become a vamp, mist form
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

You're also a DK and thus do not to max your stamina recovery, but you know this and your general Bias is pretty obvious.

Need I point you to the video where you killed me starting with 1% Stamina (yes including a Bugged meteor).
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube