Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy Armor still to weak in PvP?

ChefZero
ChefZero
✭✭✭✭
Are there any viable Heavy-Armor-Builds out there?
Edited by ChefZero on 19 April 2015 10:16
PC EU - DC only

Heavy Armor still to weak in PvP? 121 votes

Yes
39%
rfennell_ESOStamdenNivzruo_ESOkokoandshinb14a_ESObigscoothb14_ESOForestd16b14_ESOThatNeonZebraAgainDraehlexiledtyrantskarvikaXsoruswashlovRhakonAriBohCharadrastimborggrenlarsenb16_ESODavadinCyrdemaceb17_ESOMatuzesmertusta 48 votes
No
60%
cozmon3c_ESOThe_Drexillrikimm16_ESOEzarethbgoldbeck21_ESOSythiasArmitasdeepseamk20b14_ESOdjnapstyb14_ESOIllumousPerphectionlogsplitter69b14_ESOCinnamon_Spiderc0rpKasTankqullmartin.ollandb16_ESOkeni_harringtonb16_ESORainfeatherUKNavaya 73 votes
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, there´re are viable heavy armor builds.
    No, it´s not weak.
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been a little more interested in a poll about light armor.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heavy armor is far from weak

Light armor is utterly *** defencively, might aswell be naked.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a strange poll. Do I think it's too weak? Not sure. I think it could either mitigate a little more physical damage or stamina damage output needs to be toned back a bit (probably both). Do I think there are viable heavy builds? Absolutely.
    Edited by Draxys on 19 April 2015 12:06

rip decibel
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    yeah... a whole suit of LA even if you decided to do reinforced doesnt even give you as much physical resistance as any major defense buff (such as immoveable). I agree with Domander on this one.

Heavy armor builds are very viable, just not a large range of styles for defense builds
    Mega tank = Zero dmg output
    Mid range tank = Mid range dmg
    Full stam dmg = Poor tank

Doesnt really matter LA/MED/HEAVY
    -unless you are running a tank build with the right supporting sets, your armor counts for little.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It is weak because currently;

Offence > Defence
    Burst > Sustained dps
    Dodge roll > Block

If you consider actual nerfs to the heavy armor passives&actives and the new meta changes, it was much more strong before 1.6.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Soris wrote: »
    It is weak because currently;

Offence > Defence
    Burst > Sustained dps
    Dodge roll > Block

If you consider actual nerfs to the heavy armor passives&actives and the new meta changes, it was much more strong before 1.6.

This

That said..you can compete with Heavy Armor..its just everything else is better.

• eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's only the few rare guys still using a magicka build, that equips 2 or 5 heavy. No other choice, after the light gimp. Some use a piece for more Undaunted passives to. So no I wouldn't say that heavy armor is worth creating a build around, considering that.

You cant really tank in PvP to begin with in 1.6.5, stuff hits to hard including siege. Avoiding dmg is the way to go and heavy has no passives for that. Bursting and being offensive is the way to go, heavy has no passives for that either.

Medium has higher survivability from dodge rolls, more mobility, more burst, more sustained and you get 3/4 of heavy armor ratings.
  • exiledtyrant
    exiledtyrant
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    The issue is going to be what are heavy armor users going to do when more people start get their 100 penetration star in the mage constellations. All that armor isn't going to mean anything when 59% physical penetration or 70% destro stafff penetration rips through. Even more so with flat reductions taking heavy to almost light armor levels.
    If all are brethren
    How could my hands not tremble
    As breath fled my prey?

What blinds my vision?
    My hands are tools; it must be
    The haze of blossoms

-Salous the Penitent
  • noobfury
    noobfury
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree with what Soris said Offense > Defense.

It's not weak for what it is , it's just that what it is does and what it should do are two different things.

It can't do what it should based on current imbalances between offense and defense.

I run full heavy and have the entire line maxed .
    noobfury earned the Eighth Anniversary badge.Thanks for sticking with us for 8 years. PC NA
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Now if you put it that way you are right to a degree - however, the low TTK is affekting everyone, not just heavy armor users. It is also true that you can avoid a lot of damage with medium armor (dodge rolls) or as a magicka Sorc/NB, maybe vamp with Mistform. However, that does not replace a tank for a small group that intends to take on larger numbers if you also have even one less mobile healer/damage dealer.

Edit: To make that one clear, I do not think heavy needs a buff or something. The skill line is fine.
    Edited by ToRelax on 20 April 2015 01:31
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Heavy armor is good now very much is...... But shield stacking >>> armor. Doge roll >>> blocking. and whats the point of high armor and spell res if the nirnhoned gets past like 30% (or what ever it is) of spell res stacked with the champion skills and what ever else you got or same with armor piercing.

So heavy armor is good but needs to be reworked to counter LA users and magic and MA users and armor piercing skills. But not make it like the only way to survive in pvp just with HA your getting armor spell res and health that's it with LA you get a giant boost to magical skills and MA is making stam build so powerful and with PvP. Like how it is now it's basicly DPS >>>>> tanking.

So just a little more boost and then heavy armor should be a good defence but you have to give up that boost to magical skills or stamina skills for it though as you give up your defence for LA and MA. Cause again right now as long as you can shield stack or dodge roll you can last longer than some one in full heavy armor blocking with say 23,000 armor and spell res.
  • noobfury
    noobfury
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    This is a valid point and may actually be viable to a certain degree in relation to the argument about certain op magic using classes .

If HA users are willing to give up the benefits of MA and LA then an increase in compensation for that could be the missing link needed to create much needed balance.

The HA approach theoretically should be to outlast your opponent which isn't possible in the current environment. Yet at the same time MA and LA are effective at both evasion and offensive skill benefits.

I gave up the benefits of MA and LA in order to apply this strategy and it's the hardest play style to pull off as of now because the reward for playing heavy isn't in line with the other two.

Spell resistance and Health need to be boosted to compete the circle between classes.

noobfury earned the Eighth Anniversary badge.Thanks for sticking with us for 8 years. PC NA
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Other thing is, that many heavy dropsets are max V12/13. That's a bit annoying. :s
    PC EU - DC only
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Another fact is that a light armor user has better defense against siege weapons because of the damage shields. Which is so wrong.
    1) Armor/Spell resists should mitigate siege damage (the highest stat)
    or
    2) Siege should bypass damage shields
    Because I can!
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heavy armor is strong enough. Personally can't imagine my templar in 1.6 in light armor.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Heavy armor is good now very much is...... But shield stacking >>> armor. Doge roll >>> blocking. and whats the point of high armor and spell res if the nirnhoned gets past like 30% (or what ever it is) of spell res stacked with the champion skills and what ever else you got or same with armor piercing.

So heavy armor is good but needs to be reworked to counter LA users and magic and MA users and armor piercing skills. But not make it like the only way to survive in pvp just with HA your getting armor spell res and health that's it with LA you get a giant boost to magical skills and MA is making stam build so powerful and with PvP. Like how it is now it's basicly DPS >>>>> tanking.

So just a little more boost and then heavy armor should be a good defence but you have to give up that boost to magical skills or stamina skills for it though as you give up your defence for LA and MA. Cause again right now as long as you can shield stack or dodge roll you can last longer than some one in full heavy armor blocking with say 23,000 armor and spell res.

The high damage, low health pools, that you can block so many more things, the near infinite resources, that is what makes tanking difficult. Not heavy armor. Heavy armor is fine. It gives tons of armor and spell resist, constitution passive, max health, block cost reduction and healing received.

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is the purpose of this poll? I feel like the OP would have done better to ask for comments or links to youtube videos with good Heavy Armor builds. This feels a lot more like an inflammatory thread meant to incite a conflict.
    Troll_(Skyrim).png

Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on 20 April 2015 13:01
    :trollin:
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Another fact is that a light armor user has better defense against siege weapons because of the damage shields. Which is so wrong.
    or

Siege does bypass most damage shields. The DOT is what hurts and can be cleansed off.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the purpose of this poll? I feel like the OP would have done better to ask for comments or links to youtube videos with good Heavy Armor builds. This feels a lot more like an inflammatory thread meant to incite a conflict.
    Troll_(Skyrim).png
    quite possibly... It is interesting how split the responses are though.

• skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would never consider using more than 2 heavy. Even for Dragonknights, medium is best due to the stamina/damage buffs it gives.
    QQing is a full time job
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have been rolling 5 pieces of HA for a couple weeks now. I very much enjoy it as I am much tankier than when I was full Medium armor. However, I must say that stam builds are still doing more damage to me than I think should be. When I die, it is usually stam abilities that killed me... magicka damage is weak by comparison... thanks to a couple pieces of Nirn and of course 5 pieces HA.

Roll dodging with 7 pieces of Medium is probably the best defensive way to get in and out of battle. With a 5 piece set of Air, you not only get incredible stam sustain but you also get a nice damage booster.
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I think Medium Armor is far and above the best Armor type right now given the supremacy of stamina builds, followed by Heavy and then light.

I don't think heavy is bad at all, and in the world of nearly limitless resources that is 1.6 it offers some pretty powerful protection for a fair tradeoff.

Medium armor on the other hand has no real downside. It has powerful offensive bonuses, defensive bonuses and 3/4 the passive protection of Heavy armor. What isn't there to like?
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rohaus wrote: »
    ...Roll dodging with 7 pieces of Medium is probably the best defensive way to get in and out of battle. With a 5 piece set of Air, you not only get incredible stam sustain but you also get a nice damage booster.

Bolt Escape is the best followed by mist form spam. 3rd spot would be cloak/invis pot/rapids. I would put dodge-roll spam a distant 4th on the list.
    Edited by Warraxx on 20 April 2015 19:34
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Warraxx wrote: »
    ...Roll dodging with 7 pieces of Medium is probably the best defensive way to get in and out of battle. With a 5 piece set of Air, you not only get incredible stam sustain but you also get a nice damage booster.

Bolt Escape is the best followed by mist form spam. 3rd spot would be cloak/invis pot/rapids. I would put dodge-roll spam a distant 4th on the list.

As a 1vXer it isn't the best escape, but if you're within 100 yards of a friendly zerg/keep walls you're pretty much guaranteed to escape with roll dodge.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ezareth wrote: »

As a 1vXer it isn't the best escape, but if you're within 100 yards of a friendly zerg/keep walls you're pretty much guaranteed to escape with roll dodge.

Unless ya know...templars are near by...
  • lonewolf0052
    No
    I personally don't think so?
    Are you talking about full heavy?
    Just the stats from the skills etc?
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Because there are no counters to Beam....and you can't roll out of range or LoS or a host of other things while being beamed.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

Because there are no counters to Beam....and you can't roll out of range or LoS or a host of other things while being beamed.

It's hard enough to escape beams as a Sorc sometimes. When you are relying on dodge rolls, so the enemy has an easier time keeping up with you, templars can give you a hard time I am sure.
    Edited by ToRelax on 21 April 2015 03:13

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Sacadon wrote: »
    Bashev wrote: »
    or

Siege does bypass most damage shields. The DOT is what hurts and can be cleansed off.
    It does not bypass most. Probably some like bone shield which is bugged and is only for physical damage or annulment which only for magicka damage. Just use an addon and fire on a group of Sorcs. You will see only absorbed damage by their shields.
    Because I can!