Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

MMO Time Sinks

mumbly_peg
Dear Time Sink Maker Guy,
Hey, I'm getting tired of paying to play a game where I spend my time doing dumb stuff instead of playing. Inventory management as it is now is barely tolerable. Inventory management gets old fast. I'm already logging or going afk when my bags are full. Yeah, folks will say get an addon blah blah, wtf should I waste my time messing with addons, another time sink, when the game creators can come up with a system that's more fun. That's why I'm playing and paying, to have fun. Inventory management sucks, fix it, or say goodbye to another customer.
Oh, and crafting, another time sink...Fun?, Nah...So why is this called a game again? Games are fun right? So, currently I'm paying the time sink maker guy, to make boring time sinks for me to play? work at? wtf? I feel kinda stoopid for paying to work a time sink. Better get more creative time sink maker guy, cuz I'm waking up to your insidious game of hide the sausage. And I just started playing and the game is starting to suck with this hiding of the sausages. Hey, does the time sink maker guy have good fingers?
If I were smarter, I bet I could come up with lots of well-crafted time sinks at which everyone could have fun working :)
Thanks for your time(sink),
Mumbly
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go apply for the job. Work on yout composition, though.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    because designing and implementation takes time. need to design, code, implement and test over and over, No MMO's Ui has stayed the same, it slowly gets better. Addons are a good alternative because it is basically done for free by the community, the only draw backs are that ZOS cant support them if there is a bug in the addon
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many MMOs have you played?
    Yes, you pick up a lot off things and keep or store what you need.
    If you don't have enough room, you buy more storage or make alts.

Yes, many MMOs have crafting.
    You can actually make your own things.
    Helps people to stop whinging about being held to ransom by high-end raiders for gear, or not being able to raid for good gear because quest gear is crap.

Maybe you need an FPS not a MMO.
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    mumbly_peg wrote: »
    Hey, I'm getting tired of paying to play a game where I spend my time doing dumb stuff instead of playing. Inventory management as it is now is barely tolerable. Inventory management gets old fast. I'm already logging or going afk when my bags are full. Yeah, folks will say get an addon blah blah, wtf should I waste my time messing with addons, another time sink, when the game creators can come up with a system that's more fun. That's why I'm playing and paying, to have fun. Inventory management sucks, fix it, or say goodbye to another customer.
    Oh, and crafting, another time sink...Fun?, Nah...So why is this called a game again? Games are fun right? So, currently I'm paying the time sink maker guy, to make boring time sinks for me to play? work at? wtf? I feel kinda stoopid for paying to work a time sink. Better get more creative time sink maker guy, cuz I'm waking up to your insidious game of hide the sausage. And I just started playing and the game is starting to suck with this hiding of the sausages. Hey, does the time sink maker guy have good fingers?
    If I were smarter, I bet I could come up with lots of well-crafted time sinks at which everyone could have fun working :)
    Mumbly

Ok I understand how you feel about the inventory UI. But what I don't get is what you think its wrong with it. You do not give us any constructive feed back what so ever.

Personally I have no problem with the bag UI and I think crafting in this game is done better then most MMORPGs. Not as good as SWG or Vanguard but its above average.

However I think they could lower the bank space cost... my next bank upgrade is 45000 gold and that is the upgrade to 160 slots. Bag space cost is ok though.
    Edited by Sunrock on 28 May 2014 22:53
  • Thulsola
    Thulsola
    ✭✭✭
    Inventory management sucks, fix it, or say goodbye to another customer.

Yes, inventory management could be improved, but I have actually enjoyed the process of figuring out how to best manage my inventory efficiently. Just because you don't enjoy an aspect of the game doesn't mean that others don't enjoy it.
    Oh, and crafting, another time sink...Fun?, Nah...

See above. I play this game for the crafting. Yes, it too can be improved and expanded. But crafting is a big part of ES, and I'm enjoying the process of leveling my crafting skills. Do you know what I don't enjoy as much? Questing, dungeons and PvP. But I'm not asking ES to pull these parts of the game because I enjoy them less.
    Thulsola
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Mercenaries of the Queen - because if you can't have fun while playing a game, what's the point?
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunrock wrote: »
    Mumbly

Ok I understand how you feel about the inventory UI. But what I don't get is what you think its wrong with it. You do not give us any constructive feed back what so ever.

Personally I have no problem with the bag UI and I think crafting in this game is done better then most MMORPGs. Not as good as SWG or Vanguard but its above average.

However I think they could lower the bank space cost... my next bank upgrade is 45000 gold and that is the upgrade to 160 slots. Bag space cost is ok though.

The OP is saying that certain elements of the game are boring and time consuming for the sake of extending the length of the game, ie the OP is complaining about mmo time sinks - not just complaining about the UI.

OP you have to understand that if they took out all the time sinks and just concentrated on making a fun, well paced game it would be hard to justify the $15 sub.

MMOs need time-sinks to give the illusion that there is actual meaningful content. Leveling need to be as slow as possible so that people can't just blow through all the content, and levelling doesn't matter anyway because the real game starts at endgame. Yes, those 150 hours you put in grinding away quests and juggling inventory space to get to VR were just the tutorial. Then you get to the real game of grinding for gear with even bigger time sinks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of mmos.
  • mumbly_peg
    I was thinking that a minigame/questline type thing would be a better time sink than just pushing the R and E keys over and over...also, gathering is kinda mindless. What would make gathering mats for a particular schematic/recipe more fun? What about getting the recipe/schematic for that shield from the cold, dead fingers of the mob that created it? Anything other than R, E, clickety click, smash-bang-kachunk. A dungeon delve, safari hunt, something unique for your character for gathering mats?
    IDEA: You clear an area/your instanced gathering node by clearing monsters/killing stuff/solving a puzzle/fixing something, then you either hire a gatherer for that node or you complete some task and gain a follower/gatherer that gathers from that node. Then just like the skill system, you get a shipment from your gatherer/at periodic intervals. This area could remain forever or could disappear as your level and equipment requirements change, or it could change with your level and require re-clearance/replanting/upgrading of equipment, etc. Regular maintenance/clearance/repair could have random positive effects on yield. Or your gatherer could be upgraded, providing random or recipe/improvement driven materials or schematics.
    Thanks,
    Mumbly
  • mumbly_peg
    The inventory thing is a challenge at the beginning of the game and that is fine, but once you hit Cold Harbor, the challenge becomes a boring bunch of poo poo and no pew pew. As your level increases your space should automatically increase to conform to the requirements of a character with 150 skill points or many crafting skills. So, I grind for gold to buy inventory space? Come on, make it interesting...Add a storage area, upgraded by doing a quest, or watching a conversation, or attending an event or killing a monster, or gathering an item from a location or delve. Making your storage area more efficient for a particular kind of storage, ie...provisioning: using a particular type of wood for your wine casks could upgrade your wine. Maybe make the chance for a random improvement to your item related to how hard you work completing challenges/quests etc. for that particular item/durable or consumable. Not just random running around gathering mats, and hitting the R and E keys, and upgrading your horse, and grinding gold for bag space? wtf? bag space...grrr. Turn it into something virtually physical, a keep, a vault, a greenhouse, something that takes time, but something that is interesting and customizable, something a character can see and manipulate, or customize and use, protect, maintain and maybe even show off. No more clickety-click poo poo or hiding of sausages.
    Thanks,
    Mumbly