Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

DK Sword and Shield Builds *Stamina* (Post 1.2 Patch)

KraidenDove
KraidenDove
✭✭
RULES OF THIS THREAD:

#1 If you do not have a dragon knight that uses sword and board as a primary weapon and have a stamina based character, leave.

#2 If you are here to say how happy you are they nerfed any bash damage, leave.

#3 If you are a magic based destruction staff wielding dragon knight specializing in magic based builds with no stamina what so ever in your line, leave (PS: you are next)

In light of the fact that all DPS heavy armor sword and shield dragon knights just got royally messed over with the bash nerf (as this was our second damage supplier as the sword and S&B abilities provide less than 300 damage at the cost of 260 stam at VR12 and has seriously harmed us in PVE content) this thread is to attempt to list and build a competent DPS heavy armor sword and shield build, otherwise known as a "powertank" and or "off tank" build.

This existed before patch 1.2 and was modeled after a Spartan/Viking like build that many of you are fans of and originally wanted to create in game. As this is no longer the case, we now strive to create something that resembled it instead of constantly being harassed with "L2P" comments.

Suggested Build:

Puncture (sword and board)
Stone Fist (earthen DK)
Dragon Blood (draconic DK)
Searing Strike/Lava Whip (ardent DK)
Immovable/Molten Weapons (Heavy armor/earthen DK)

This build has some swappable features depending on fights and uses stamina and a bit of low cost magika stills. Other suggestions or builds are welcome as this work will essentially keep an entire play style from unsub due to their idea of playstyle now being extinct.

Edited by KraidenDove on 28 May 2014 08:56
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what do I do if my new DK i am leveling runs both SnB and Destro?

Do I gotta leave too?
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • KraidenDove
    KraidenDove
    ✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    So what do I do if my new DK i am leveling runs both SnB and Destro?

Do I gotta leave too?
    "In light of the fact that all DPS heavy armor sword and shield dragon knights"

Please share your stamina based heavy armor build.
  • Hilgara
    Hilgara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't do forums much do you?
  • Wizzo91
    Wizzo91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use Destro + SnB but only use the shield in tough situations with 3 mobs or bossfights for higher survivability.

Sorry to say but stamina builds are not advisable at the moment.

It's unbalanced. One of the reason is that dodges and blocking only effect stamina pool - just like heavy armour is absolutely useless. Even for tanking.
    Just use 7 light / 5light + 2heavy and you can softcap armour with volatile armour.

Magika based tanks > stam based tanks

Are you already in VR content? Without bash a pure SnB-stamina build is almost impossible to play.

The shield bash was bugged and OP. Almost no stamina cost and it was possible to kill groups of 3 just bashed through the fight. This is not how the game is intended to be played.

SnB is not supposed to be full dps build (more survivability / sustainability)- if you are looking for stam based dps builds go for dw or 2h + ardent flame single target.

Learn to adapt and try new things.

Edited by Wizzo91 on 28 May 2014 09:36
    [EU]

Wizzo - Stamina DK - 50 - DC
    Wizzox - Magicka NB - 50 - DC
    Vilest Wizz - Magicka Sorc - 50 - DC
    Wiser Wizz - Magicka NB - 50 - DC
    Wizzo X - Magicka NB - 50 - AD
    In Rainbows - Stam Sorc - 50 - AD
    Fake Plastic Tree - Stamplar - 50 - EP

6XX CP

• KraidenDove
    KraidenDove
    ✭✭
    If an entire play style switches to a magika based build, they will nerf it next. That is fact. As far as VR content goes, I am personally a VR10 and didn't use the old "bash bash bash" to kill in pvp as I am fully leveled in bow as well. The issue is given that these things are being forcibly made into tanking abilities (heavy armor and S&B, which they are not as they offer far too little protection against simple trash mobs ) some are trying to find a solution that still allows them to do hybrid dps.

However, I am fully aware a light armor destruction staff magika build with concentrations on aoe abilities can burn through pve content at a speed so fast they are being investigated for unbalanced practices. This thread is once again, for those wishing to create a viable stamina based heavy armor and S&B build with lighter reliance on magika based abilities.

If we wanted to "try new things" we would all reroll into the FOTM pyro DK class and destroy everything until they are nerfed as well.
    Edited by KraidenDove on 28 May 2014 09:42
  • Selanmere
    Selanmere
    Soul Shriven
    As 1h+shield DK I've been using a very effective single target routine.

Shield assault with Invasion morph to stun longer,
    Then flame whip with the flame lash morph that disorients and lets you hit a second time with no magicka cost + small heal
    Then heavy attack
    And finally searing strike with the unstable flame morph for extra damage
    Back up a bit to get into Invasion distance and do the same.
    Works really well in single and double mob packs.
    Gotta stay focused and try to block and interrupt enemies.
    For three mob packs I always take out the mage/healer first and then use Dragon blood with the green blood morph to recover some lost HP and apply the combo.

Also I have found the petrify skill from earthen heart really usefull when dealing with packs of three.

When it comes to group play I use the following skils
    Puncture with the Ransack morph
    Talons for CC
    Dragon blood with the Green blood morph
    Spike Armor with the Razor Armor morph
    Searing Strike with the Unstable flame morph

Ultimate is always the Earthen Heart one. Its just super tanky...
  • fyendiarb16_ESO
    fyendiarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This topic came at the exact right time for me, thank you.

I am a sword and board DK player (amongst other alts) that is looking for a good rotation and this is helping.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my skills read out usually for soloing as

1. Shield Charge (Shielded Charge)
    2. Power Bash (Power Slam
    3. Lava Whip (Flame Lash)
    4. Dragons Blood (Green Dragons Blood)
    5. Drain Essence (Invigorating Drain)

this proves more than enough single target dps to take on even world bosses with a ultimate. (soloed Risen Court in coldharbor at VR1)

i charge in, double whip, Pbash and another double whip or DE the target. the result is self healing while good DPS as well as keeping the target mostly stunned.

the recent update made the followup Flame Lash cost no MP, making it free DPS now.

against larger groups i still prefer 2handed like i always have. Brawler is just so powerful against groups, and its very easy for DK to cap out their damage with a 2hander.

in groups i dont DPS with S&B, so it changes to a long list of Magicka based Defense skills, headed by Inner Fire as a provoke.

in that most combat is just be blocking and using inner fire to keep a mob or several on me.
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on 28 May 2014 10:15
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • KraidenDove
    KraidenDove
    ✭✭
    These are good suggestions. Keep them coming and we might just save the class.