Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ability Suggestions

Panda244
Panda244
✭✭✭✭✭
This is a post for all of your ability suggestions, new ones you want to see added or old ones you want to see changed. Any skill from class to craft, though its more focused on active skills and ones that are offensive/defensive.
Anyways, onto the point.

I personally would like to see an ability for One Hand One Shield skill tree called Shield Wall. It would be a passive, with only one point and you get it somewhere in the higher ups say... 44-50 Because of the reasons I'm going to state right now.

Shield Wall would be a passive ability that lets you form a very slow Shield Wall with other people using one handed and shield. There has to be at minimum six people with the passive to use it and no more than twelve. The shield wall lasts somewhere from 20 seconds to a minute. It locks the people into column type formations with their shields perma blocking from the front, and these people in the shield wall can all move, but, if some of them are moving backwards/sideways or not all together then it slows down the momentum of the shield wall, and if no one is working together you don't really move. Now as far as defense goes, if you were in this shield wall you would take no damage save for ranged attacks and seige, and those would be reduced by 50-75% The damage instead would go into the shield wall which has a set amount of health based on the amount of people in it. 5k with 6 people, up to 10k with 12 people, and once the shield wall has been killed it breaks and the people in it are free to go about their business. Now to make sure this ability isn't so OP we need draw backs right? Well the movement is already one, and another is perhaps when the shield wall is broke all people in it lose 20-30% of their total stamina, or equal to that of breaking out of a CC. I see this ability being used mainly for PvP and trials to hold back mobs from the ranged DPS and Healers behind the wall, and in PvP it would be massively helpful on bridges and ravines between cliffs. Also, to prevent trolling the ability can only be used with the people in your group and when in combat, so you dont have shield walls blocking dungeon entrances and other important questing hubs.

As far as damage of the wall goes, in reality you kinda poke in front of you with your sword or spear and push or hold with the shield. So the damage would have a relatively short range, but deals melee damage, and the longer you stand in front of it the more damage it does, until eventually. You die. As I said above the movement of the wall and placement will really require teamwork and coordination.

Quick Recap.

Skill: Shield Wall, Passive in one hand one shield tree. (Requires lvl 40-50?)

Pros: Soaks up damage and deals damage. VERY strong against melee attackers. Prevents players and mobs from moving through, useful for stopping a zerg in PvP and protecting healers and ranged DPS in Trials and future Raids.

Cons: Very slow movement, stamina depletion upon exiting it or having it destroyed, weakness to ranged attacks (Arrows would go over the shields and hit the people in them therefor weakening the wall.) VERY high damage if attacked from behind, somewhere between 100-200% damage increase if you hit it from behind.

Overall I think this ability has enough drawbacks and pros to be balanced, and if you get behind it well its over for the people in the shield wall. When used right it would be massively helpful in both PvP and Trials or Raids. Anyways, post your own suggestions below! :smiley:

Yes I know this a Testudo, a shield wall is the exact same with no shields on top.

Testudo_formation.jpg
Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
#FreeGooey
#FreeAsgari
#FreeAoE
#FreeSubtomik
#FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.