Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Seemingly Random Quest Elements Paired/Separated When Grouped

gcalex5
gcalex5
✭✭✭
So for the past month or so my girlfriend and I have been questing together and for the most part its been smooth sailing for us. However there is one major issue that causes unnecessary frustration and stress for us.

I have been through all of the quests several times on alts so I'm quick to click through the chat or collect items on the ground while she does her thing listening to stories and collecting/interacting with objects and I tend to do mine at a sprint and circle back to help her as needed because it is her first MMO she's played and shes determined to prove that she can stand on her own two feet.

So the issue comes in when sometimes a certain leg of a quest is separated where we each have to separately talk to and NPC or we each have to interact or collect our own set of items or kill x number of things ourselves then in the next leg of the quest its reversed and only one of us has to do it or talk to and NPC and that without warning advances the other person. It is then evident that the other person misses out on the story or we wanted to split up who did which part so we would each get a chance to say destroy something or hold up for the other that wanted to hear the story but now when they were in the middle of listening they are now having to fight some boss mob without the story that they wanted to hear.

TL;DR version: questing in its current form is seemingly arbitrarily split up into sparated/grouped legs without letting us know in some form whether we have to do a leg of a quest as a group or separately

If someone from ZOS reads this and wants additional info I can start keeping a list of a few quests that demonstrate more my point here.
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    For being a multiplayer game, this game has some of the least group-friendly questing mechanics around.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is fundamentally a Single Player game with Multi-Player elements based on a Lobby system that one has no control over. It is not really an MMO, and indeed, prior to launching the game the developers emphatically stressed that ESO was NOT an MMO. Although they never did (and have not to this day) state what type of game ESO actually is.

And, yes, grouping in ESO is a nightmare and completely broken. If you want to duo with a friend, you must be VERY careful to stay in sync. Even then, you will find many difficult and annoying quest stages can only be done solo.
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    My worst experience so far with grouping was in Stormhaven during the Sir Hughes questline - in that quest there is a pretty challenging boss fight (at vet rank), where after the fight you need to talk to a NPC to return to the normal world. The guy I grouped with for the fight got ahead of me very slightly, and talked to that NPC as I was turning from looting the boss's body - end result? The NPC teleported our entire group out of the closed phase, not only failing to flag me for the "talk to this guy" step, but resetting the quest to where I had to run through the entire path to the boss fight, and fight the boss again solo. This was allegedly fixed with Craglorn, but this is the kind of thing that shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.
  • gcalex5
    gcalex5
    ✭✭✭
    HandofBane wrote: »
    My worst experience so far with grouping was in Stormhaven during the Sir Hughes questline - in that quest there is a pretty challenging boss fight (at vet rank), where after the fight you need to talk to a NPC to return to the normal world. The guy I grouped with for the fight got ahead of me very slightly, and talked to that NPC as I was turning from looting the boss's body - end result? The NPC teleported our entire group out of the closed phase, not only failing to flag me for the "talk to this guy" step, but resetting the quest to where I had to run through the entire path to the boss fight, and fight the boss again solo. This was allegedly fixed with Craglorn, but this is the kind of thing that shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

I could see that being and incredibly frustrating experience especially looking at it through a beginners perspective something like that could right up end a play session right there leaving a bad taste in there mouth.

And I should note that the point of this thread was not to crucify the current questing/grouping system but to merely shed some light on one aspect that I think could be looked at it and improved because the current system has a lot going for it it's just this one aspect that I've found over the past month that could use some improving.