Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Fool Me Once..........

Voemel
Voemel
✭✭
I purchased from ZOS the $80 Edition of this game. Once my early access ended, I purchased a 90 day sub.

I just cancelled my subscription. I have detailed in other forum posts the numerous problems I, and many others, have with this game. I won't go through them all again.

In my opinion, the game is not worth my money. I have paid around $120 for this fiasco so far and feel I have not received anywhere near the product I should have.

I contacted Customer Support and made a simple request. I asked that they place my remaining 75 days of game time on "hold". I would then return to the game in 3 to 6 months and hopefully come back to a more polished product. I was told No. I understand that this is their policy. That doesn't mean it is a good one. My game time will continue to click down. I will not log in and continue the torture. I won't be back. My 75 days will be gone and I will never return.

Some companies will never learn that it's far easier to keep a customer than to find a new one.
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    Honestly, it seems like you have an alright attitude about this as well, its a shame they won't put your playtime on hold. But who knows, in 3-6 months the game may be F2P.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but seeing as you have already paid for the next 75 days why quit??
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Voemel wrote: »
    I purchased from ZOS the $80 Edition of this game. Once my early access ended, I purchased a 90 day sub.

I just cancelled my subscription. I have detailed in other forum posts the numerous problems I, and many others, have with this game. I won't go through them all again.

In my opinion, the game is not worth my money. I have paid around $120 for this fiasco so far and feel I have not received anywhere near the product I should have.

I contacted Customer Support and made a simple request. I asked that they place my remaining 75 days of game time on "hold". I would then return to the game in 3 to 6 months and hopefully come back to a more polished product. I was told No. I understand that this is their policy. That doesn't mean it is a good one. My game time will continue to click down. I will not log in and continue the torture. I won't be back. My 75 days will be gone and I will never return.

Some companies will never learn that it's far easier to keep a customer than to find a new one.

This is me exactly except I did it on 2 accounts.

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• Apsalon
    Apsalon
    Soul Shriven
    Holy moly! Why on earth did you purchase three months in advance?? I bought 30 days to see how i like the game. You should have done that too. One does not pay more than he's willing to play.
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that they won't honour your request, although I can see the "reasoning" behind their policy in not doing so (it's also not a market standard, so there's no real precedent to follow).

Hopefully you'll have better luck in your next game.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

Eventually, your time becomes more valuable than the subscription price you paid. I bet a lot of people for paid for 90 & 180 day subscriptions expecting a better designed, less buggy game that will end up getting too bored or frustrated to continue playing. In a few months we can expect a giant sucking sound when all of these prepaid subs lapse.
  • Voemel
    Voemel
    ✭✭

Because the game is not worth my time and effort. This still feels like a beta. Again, the reasons are too numerous, and have been listed in hundreds of other forum posts.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Apsalon wrote: »
    Holy moly! Why on earth did you purchase three months in advance?? I bought 30 days to see how i like the game. You should have done that too. One does not pay more than he's willing to play.

It was only about $41.00 so it wasn't any big deal. I agree with the OP about if they would put my accounts on hold there would be a chance that I would pick it up again. No chance at this point though.

~Oscar Wilde

• Voemel
    Voemel
    ✭✭

My mistake. It won't happen again. Thus the title "Fool Me Once.....".
  • Apsalon
    Apsalon
    Soul Shriven
    Consider it a lesson for the future. In modern economics hardly any corporation will give you back money they already got.
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    aleister wrote: »
    Eventually, your time becomes more valuable than the subscription price you paid.

This is where I'm at. I have 2 weeks left on my sub and not sure it's worth my time and frustration finding a way to overcome all the roadblocks to enjoying this game that ZOS has fostered on us.

Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • Voemel
    Voemel
    ✭✭
    Consider it a lesson for the future. In modern economics hardly any corporation will give you back money they already got.

I did not ask for a refund. They can KEEP MY MONEY. Just suspend my account so that I may return in a few months. Let me see if they have made improvements.
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep! I bought 2 imperial editions one for me and one for wife at 80 a pice...

Then they come out with these "deals" a week later allowing people to get it for 56 bucks...

After all that, we get this steaming pile of bugs and lack of support thrown at us.

I already canned both accounts...I refuse to pay for it any longer.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the 6 months as I was enjoying the game despite a long list of issues. Unfortunately that list of 'despites' is growing longer rather than shorter.

But there's still time for it to turn around. Grinding the VR through the other faction stories is a complete non-starter but give me an alternate route with as interesting a storyline as the main and i'd be happy enough.

I'm just not prepared to grind my way through what are essentially the same story line as what I've done.

What ZMO have forgotten is that a lot of people, even ES fans like me, play to have fun. There are a lot of other fun MMO's out there.

Faced with the choice of dozens of hours of joyless grinding in ESO or for example, exploring the rich crafting and semi-open world pvp of ArcheAge I know what I'll be choosing regardless of how big an ES fan I am.

But give me an entertaining alternative to the current VR1-10, get rid of the bots, make combat work properly and make skills work and i'll be playing ESO for years.

The trouble is unfortunately ESO is lagging way behind the alpha build of ArcheAge in many respects. Weapon swapping works. You have more skills and they trigger properly. And you can level up in any number of ways other than grinding quests.

But ESO wipes the floor when it comes to story and story delivery. I just get the feeling ZMO have over-estimated the market for old school grinding and their vision of the game is one that is ten years out of date.

I am happy to be challenged with difficulty and am not adverse to grouping. Unfortunately ESO phasing goes out of its way to prevent people from grouping.

One of the biggest improvements they could make would be to stop caring about who groups with who, when. People should be able to group with people who have already done a quest come what may.

Personally I'd make every quest area instanced for small groups, even solo ones.

ESO could still be a great game. I really want it to be.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You people must be new to MMO's because the amount of bugs compared to some launches has been minimal and the response to them has been great, but I forget the ESO forums are full of negative complainers. You think your posts will garner attention but they wont. More people play them game and never even look nor register for these forums.

It sucks that you are unhappy about the game, but like someone else said, you shouldn't have bought the long subscription, especially if you weren't sure about the game. Buyer beware.

There hasn't been one bug in this game that has told me to stop playing and have fun. Hell i play a Nightblade and we have the most broken class in the game. We got our own official thread right at the top! No other class does. I paid for 6 months cause I know the game will continue to balance itself with each new patch. It may not be fast enough for those who continue to complain on these forums, but they work at the pace they can. Everyone only cares about themselves, there happiness, there own needs. No one supports anyone anymore and has patience.

Complain, whine, threaten to leave the game, what good does it really do but make you the poster feel better in some small way. ZOS knows who is still subscribed, who isn't subscribing, when certain accounts will end, and what accounts will remain. If you really un-subbed they already know. We do not need to know about it.

Everyone who quits now will be back in 6 months I am sure even if its just to see whats going on.
  • Haxer
    Haxer
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry that you bought 90 days worth of product, somehow not understanding what you were paying for after 30 days of playing the game? How could you not make a more educated decision after playing it for 30 days? Did you never play the beta? And you expected them to...do what. Put your game time on hold.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 27 May 2014 18:55
    www.dragontears.boards.net
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased the 3mos package...atm, I dont regret it. Still going to play, although the game is "beta". A lot of improvement have to come or this game is going in the dumpster. I'll be playing Destiny on Xbox One...or watching my kids get their build on in Minecraft.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read these threads I wonder if we play the same game or what.
    Or maybe it's more a question of How Important Playing the Game is to you people but I'd like to remind you that it's a game, no reason for drama or hysteria

If you are bored or don't like it, quit.
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    If you already quit, why are you on the forums starting negative discussions? Quitting threads are against the forum rules, and this doesn't really put out the right kind of message to those that like the game or might like the game when they try it.
    "QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    @haxer rude much?

~Oscar Wilde

• Haxer
    Haxer
    ✭✭✭
    @Khadi sorry mate, but I just think it's silly when people come on threatening leaving and trying to encourage others to do the same, is this LoL GD now? This is exactly why I gladly pay a subscription. To keep as many whiney entitled kids out as possible.

If you play a game for 30 days and still don't think you have any idea what you're paying for, then buy another 90 days, and THEN get buyer's remorse? Come on. Get real.

I can't help you.
    Edited by Haxer on 27 May 2014 16:30
    www.dragontears.boards.net
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Haxer wrote: »
    @Khadi sorry mate, but I just think it's silly when people come on threatening leaving and trying to encourage others to do the same, is this LoL GD now? This is exactly why I gladly pay a subscription. To keep as many whiney entitled kids out as possible.

If you play a game for 30 days and still don't think you have any idea what you're paying for, by another 90 days, and THEN get buyers remorse? Come on. Get real.

Hmmm...we must be reading different thread because that is not what the OP said and so far I haven't read any post encouraging people to cancel their subs.

And I'm not your mate, pal. :D

~Oscar Wilde

• Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    When I read these threads I wonder if we play the same game or what.
    Or maybe it's more a question of How Important Playing the Game is to you people but I'd like to remind you that it's a game, no reason for drama or hysteria

If you are bored or don't like it, quit.

Yes, these types of threads are extremely common on gaming forums and they never fail to make me giggle. The OP is invariably an affluent male who describes spending _X_ amount of money to buy this game not only for himself but for his wife and sometimes for his kids. This is supposed to let everyone on the forum know that he is special - a mature, grown-up customer, not like the usual foul-mouthed children that you find playing video games. The OP then goes on to detail some kind of ultimatum that he issued to some hapless low-level customer-service rep, in expectation of getting immediate satisfaction; you know, like he does when he eats half his meal at a trendy restaurant then complains that he doesn't like it and the manager comps it.

When he's told "no" because low-level CS reps don't have the power to make high-level policy decisions like that, not even for a special snowflake such as one who bought not one but two copies of the game, this kind of OP gets huffy and goes to forums to tell everyone how badly he was mistreated.

Mind you, I'm not saying that our OP here fits this profile exactly, but it does come off a bit like it. ;)
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭

Everyone who quits now will be back in 6 months I am sure even if its just to see whats going on.

That is just a bold faced lie.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you 'lost' money on the game, but caveat emptor.

Personally, I also bought the Imperial Edition and paid for 60 days up front. That was after playing 3 buggy beta weekends. Still having fun with my Nightbow and love playing with my friends. It's enough of an ES game for me to enjoy solo and enough of an MMO to get a blast playing with my best friend.

ESO is getting better, not worse. It ain't perfect but the overal trajectory is upward and I'm perfectly willing to ride out the rough spots to see what all is out there. So sorry you're not.

Have fun what ever you do and remember, where ever you go, there YOU are. Make sure the problem is the game, not the player.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One does not simply cancel ones subscription with 75 days left
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • DireKit
    DireKit
    ✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    Sorry you 'lost' money on the game, but caveat emptor.

Personally, I also bought the Imperial Edition and paid for 60 days up front. That was after playing 3 buggy beta weekends. Still having fun with my Nightbow and love playing with my friends. It's enough of an ES game for me to enjoy solo and enough of an MMO to get a blast playing with my best friend.

ESO is getting better, not worse. It ain't perfect but the overal trajectory is upward and I'm perfectly willing to ride out the rough spots to see what all is out there. So sorry you're not.

Have fun what ever you do and remember, where ever you go, there YOU are. Make sure the problem is the game, not the player.

Yeah, We paid like £88 up front for the Imperial Edition and We're still enjoying the game. There have been bugs and frustrations, a few that kept us from progressing, but it's a newer game. Honestly the Customer Service team has been surprisingly friendly and personable with our requests, that in and of itself is enough to make us want to stay here for now.

They've actually GASP been straight and honest with us when We asked questions of them via the Customer Service line.

Yeah, that's a good sign to us. No run-around in our experiences, so that makes us feel positive for the game.
  • greeat-scottb14_ESO
    I love these people that wonder why there should be any complaining. Must be nice not to have any standards or responsibilities. If this game were called something else like "Axeface" or whatever - there wouldn't be anywhere near the backlash that there has been.

This isn't the first MMO and this isn't the first Elder Scrolls title. Thus why so many are at odds to what has transpired. So for all the comparisons to other games from ages ago it's like comparing Windows 95 to Windows 8. There's an expectation right from out of the box; especially for the money that's being coerced. Yes for all you geniuses that were lucky enough to bypass their accounting fiasco*** - the only other way peeps could play was to buy a game card - and that would be the 60 day card because that's the first one they decided to hammer out. (I can't wait to read the "but I , me , me , me" posts).

Don't get me wrong trollers - I love Elder Scrolls and MMO's. Zeni has captured the open world feel it needed to and I plan to play the rest of the time that was coerced. But that doesn't constitute the title they borrowed or the right to call it an MMO.

*** major credit cards are being denied because Zeni's being blacklisted by them - on account there have been an unusual amount of cancellations and reports of fraud

Edited by greeat-scottb14_ESO on 27 May 2014 16:48
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering what kind of online game will put your game time "on hold"? That is completely new to me.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that they should offer an account suspension option.

I currently plan on staying active with my account, but could very easily see myself needing to take a month or longer break due to travel or whatever, and it would be nice to be able to put my account on pause for that period and not have to choose between paying full sub prices and losing my characters.

I'd even be willing to pay a reduced "holding-fee" sub cost for this option.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO