Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Sandbox features that need to be in the game

Mission
Mission
✭✭✭
1. Firstly housing
I know it's possible that this might be added later. But lets just discuss what needs to be in housing and how it needs to be implemented. Firstly I don't want houses cluttering up the game map, but I also don't want instances singular housing. Housing needs to be done in zones similar to lotro or ff14
Where there is a map where multiple houses can be placed. You buy land then place your house.

Also with housing. We need trophies from achievement/boss kills that we can place in the house, and rare artifacts that we can find in the world.

And finally, we need the ability to set up our own personal shops/vendors in our house to sell crafted goods.

2. Player Bounties
Not exactly sure how this should be implemented, but it is needed. It could be attached to the assassins guild, or some other guild you decide to create. Maybe even attached to the justice system.
The way it could be implemented, is...

If someone racked up enough crime points they would appear on a quest board for taking by a member of the assassins guild. ect. That Hunter would then become temporarily phased to the world of the target so that they could see them in other alliance zones till the target was killed or they were killed. You would implement some sort of tracking feature to locate the target. If the target killed the hunter then the hunter would lose the quest and phase back to their own world.

This could also be used to deal with bots. Reported players if they haven't been kicked or banned could be placed on the bounty boards. This would have to be watched so that it doesn't get abused, obviously.

3. Bard's Guild
Since there are emotes in the game for musical instruments, why not have a bards guild/skill line. It would teach you new songs/instruments as you leveled it up. That could buff other players. And if you grouped with people and played in a small band. It would give better buffs. This would give roleplay enthusiast something else to do as well.

That's just a few ideas that could be added to improved the sandbox part of the game. And move away from crappy themepark games that have plagued the mmo world for the last few years.
Edited by Mission on 27 May 2014 13:47
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't want this to be Skyrim Online. I put over 2,000 hours into Skyrim and I wanted something different and more challenging. ESO is certainly it.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    Sandbox features add doesn't mean it can't still have its challenges. It's just adds stuff that keeps you entertained for a lot longer while your waiting on the next raid or whatever.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think housing in LotRO was basically awful, most everything about it was awful. Especially the 'nieghbourhood' function. It turned out to be just a ghost town, nothing like they were hoping/envisioned. When you compare it to other MMOs it doesn't stack up at all. It's housing is basically separate and not integrated into the rest of the game spatially at all. It would be a grave mistake for ESO to base their own housing off LotRO.

Simple, instanced housing in already-present towns in the game makes the most sense, is the most logical, will be the most functional, and the most robust long-term. The important thing with housing is to get the inside right. e.g. furniture choice, freedom of placement, wall/floor/ceilings that can be changed to personal taste, etc etc. As well as having some functional relevance other than just a place to look pretty (e.g. perhaps plants to water for thread for cloth, etc etc).
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    The reason why lotro or any housing like that is a ghost town is just that. It's just housing. Add player shops to that, and it would most likely be more populated. Instanced housing sucks, cause it usually mean only you or ppl in your group can visit it..whats the point of housing if everyone can't see your accomplishments.

But I do agree, gardening and other crafting/gathering sort of things need to be implemented as well to it.

Any housing in any mmo is going to be deserted if it's just about decorating your house, obviously...
    Edited by Mission on 27 May 2014 14:10
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭
    Mission wrote: »
    The reason why lotro or any housing like that is a ghost town is just that. It's just housing. Add player shops to that, and it would most likely be more populated. Instanced housing sucks, cause it usually mean only you or ppl in your group can visit it..whats the point of housing if everyone can't see your accomplishments.

But I do agree, gardening and other crafting/gathering sort of things need to be implemented as well to it.

Any housing in any mmo is going to be deserted if it's just about decorating your house, obviously...

EQ2 proved to me that people will spend uncountable hours decorating a house for nobody to see. Some of them are breath taking.

"Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, but it's hard to find those kind of people in mmo's anymore. Most are just people that want to get to endgame and raid now-a-days.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Player Housing, ok I want this too, it's been done in other games, and I want Weapon racks and Dummies to store my gear, plus to display my trophies (bear trap and a whistle weirdly).

The main issue is making sure we don't get empty cities full of unused housing. Oh and making sure people don't get into our houses and steal our stuff.

2. Player Bounties, um no, just no. It's not a good idea unless they volunteer, in which case surely they would just play PVP. Since people are unlikely to want people stopping them mid-quest just to kill them for a bounty.

3. Bard's Guild. Um, again no, there is no real reason for a Bard's guild, Bard's have no special abilities or spells, and playing a musical instrument is amusing for exactly 4minutes 57 seconds (I've timed it) after which it's just plain annoying.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭

3. Bard's Guild. Um, again no, there is no real reason for a Bard's guild, Bard's have no special abilities or spells, and playing a musical instrument is amusing for exactly 4minutes 57 seconds (I've timed it) after which it's just plain annoying.

You apparently never played Star Wars Galaxies. There were a lot of ppl that liked to play entertainers in that game..And all that was was dancing or playing instruments.

• Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    2. Player Bounties, um no, just no. It's not a good idea unless they volunteer, in which case surely they would just play PVP. Since people are unlikely to want people stopping them mid-quest just to kill them for a bounty.

Like I said. Attached to the justice system. Don't want to participate. Don't do the crime! It's basically like volunteering

Edited by Mission on 27 May 2014 14:27