Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Biting Jabs - when rollback the changes?

Mephos
Mephos
✭✭✭
ZOS_JessicaFolsom admin
May 23 edited May 23 Staff Post
One additional addendum for the Templar skill Biting Jabs:

In patch 1.1.2, we increased the internal cooldown of Biting Jabs from 0.5 seconds to 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, this change was not documented in the patch notes. This was not intended, and we do apologize.

This change was made to balance the ability's high single target damage. However we have been reading your feedback, and agree that the ability feels too unresponsive now. We will be reverting this change for the next patch (as soon as possible), and instead will slightly increase the ability's resource cost.
Post edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on May 23

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

at the moment we are almost a week after the patch and we had several slight changes and patches in between that fixed some stuff. for example the dungeon XP farming for the new content.

I don´t see this topic in the current "fixing 1.1.2 issues" list.

Can you make a estimation (only estimation) how long we have to wait? Like 1-2 month like for the NB changes just to revert this skill back to original (pre patch).

I just ask because for many of us its a primary skill and for me personal I don´t like to play this game that much without my skill that I got used to.

any answer is appriciated, waiting just wrecks nerves.

Best regards,
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Why don't you take this opportunity to learn how to play a Templar in a different approach.
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    I have every skill at level 4 with the morph at level 4. I have all weapons and all armors at level 50 (except 2h which is at 30). I tested every skill and combination and with everything I have minor problems (mostly subjective stuff like I hate playing ground AoEs.. its just no fluent game play, or I hate the 1.5 second cast time skills etc.)

I played all types and always got back to biting jabs. the reason is mainly the sound and animation that I love and that the skill looks like a skill and not like a improved auto attack (2h sword, dual wield etc.)

additional to that I did build my whole character around this one skill. I played it now for about 300 hours (lvl 1 to VET9 atm) and still love it.. why would I change something that I love?

the change don´t makes any sense like Jessica already said...

Edited by Mephos on 27 May 2014 13:55
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Mephos wrote: »
    I have every skill at level 4 with the morph at level 4. I have all weapons and all armors at level 50 (except 2h which is at 30). I tested every skill and combination and with everything I have minor problems (mostly subjective stuff like I hate playing ground AoEs.. its just no fluent game play, or I hate the 1.5 second cast time skills etc.)

I played all types and always got back to biting jabs. the reason is mainly the sound and animation that I love and that the skill looks like a skill and not like a improved auto attack (2h sword, dual wield etc.)

additional to that I did build my whole character around this one skill. I played it now for about 300 hours (lvl 1 to VET9 atm) and still love it.. why would I change something that I love?

the change don´t makes any sense like Jessica already said...

Agreed, I'm just saying, you'll have to deal with whatever eventual change comes to Biting Jab. Why not experiment now, while its in its weakest form. I get where you're coming from, I used to play a one skill crutch build and I decided to diversify.
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    I really tried.. serious, I used other skills but in the end I will use biting jabs and everytime the delay comes I will feel a slight enrage within me, but I will still use this skill because I love it. :(

if you can give me an alternativ melee aoe magicka skill I will gladly use that.
    As far as I have seen there is none for weapon skills and no for other skills so biting jabs is my ONLY melee class abillity that is actually partly AoE

and you need AoE dmg for veteran content or a very high single target burst (which temps dont have at all)

• Crisscross
    Crisscross
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I despise the look and sound of biting jabs =X Just seemed really jarring having my weapon suddenly disappear and like... doing these epileptic little stabs that looks more like I'm trying to declog a toilet than anything else. But I agree the GCD just makes it feel unresponsive and infuriating to use. I just hope that the resource increase nerfs it to the point of making other DPS skills viable too.
    Edited by Crisscross on 27 May 2014 16:07
  • Noobie
    Noobie
    ✭✭
    I would love to try a new build on my templar, only problem is in order for me to do the build i want i need to respec everything just to change solar barrage morph :/
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are no templar skills that do the aoe damage required to substitute with biting jabs. Instead of nerfing the one skill we had that worked for aoe, they should have upgraded our other non aoe skills so they aren't useless.

I don't know where all the confusion lies with people thinking templars have all these skill options we don't have.
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you take this opportunity to learn how to play a Templar in a different approach.

Nope , im using this moment to play other games , while i log in only to deal with hirelings/research/horse...

I will not change the way i play over a STUPID NERF and i mean STUPID because there was no reason to do it.

It was a templars dps skill ... which is a silly joke , since templars are know for sucking when it comes down to dps.

So now , im waiting for them to either fix this , or i will just quit when my sub ends.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • PayneTK
    PayneTK
    ✭✭
    They can ignore the mistake and not fix it, i'l just ignore my remaining subscription as i already canceled it yesterday.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you make a estimation (only estimation) how long we have to wait? Like 1-2 month like for the NB changes just to revert this skill back to original (pre patch).

I just ask because for many of us its a primary skill and for me personal I don´t like to play this game that much without my skill that I got used to.

Since this propably has to be changed on the server side (not the client) I guess they can only do it with next downtime.

But did you just say "one skill not working as it used too, the game is unplayable"?
    I am sorry but if you are not willing to adapt your tactic to circumstances (be they the enemies you fight or minor problems with skills), then ESO is propably the wrong game for you. Or any game, for that mater.

I don't know what actually got you that much on the edge, but I highly doubt that a minor problem in a computergame could cause this level of distress in a healthy person.
    Nope , im using this moment to play other games , while i log in only to deal with hirelings/research/horse...

I will not change the way i play over a STUPID NERF and i mean STUPID because there was no reason to do it.

It was a templars dps skill ... which is a silly joke , since templars are know for sucking when it comes down to dps.

So now , im waiting for them to either fix this , or i will just quit when my sub ends.
    What I said about overacting to a minor problem. Turned up to eleven. Whatever got you really that riled up, please don't went it on us.
    Edited by zgrssd on 27 May 2014 17:01
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biting jabs is literally the templar's only AoE DPS skill.

Impulse on destro staff got nerfed, so if you want to solo as a templar, you are screwed.

Good thing we can always heal...oh wait, Sorcs are the preferred healers for any decent group.

Well templars can tank, right? Oh yeah forgot about DKs.

I guess we will just stand over here with the NBs watching everyone else have fun.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

Since this propably has to be changed on the server side (not the client) I guess they can only do it with next downtime.

But did you just say "one skill not working as it used too, the game is unplayable"?
    I am sorry but if you are not willing to adapt your tactic to circumstances (be they the enemies you fight or minor problems with skills), then ESO is propably the wrong game for you. Or any game, for that mater.

I don't know what actually got you that much on the edge, but I highly doubt that a minor problem in a computergame could cause this level of distress in a healthy person.

What I said about overacting to a minor problem. Turned up to eleven. Whatever got you really that riled up, please don't went it on us.

Currently im just playing other games.

If zen fixes , i pay and play , if they take too long or dont fix it , i dont.

I wont accept a stupid nerf on my class , while DKs destroy the freaking content left and right and zen stands there watching. Which they have been for 2 months now.

And i like i said in many threads , i have 0 reasons to play this game if i cant use the spear line to be atleast viable. That is the ONLY reason i made a templar , i dont care about healing at all.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • jovial
    jovial
    ✭✭
    Experiment. It's a good thing. You people either 1. never played a Templar or 2. have no idea what constitutes a VIABLE ENDGAME BUILD.

We have no other melee options. Now we're forced to go Dark Flare/Vampire's Bane if we want to be viable at all. I'm adapting to this change by doing this, but I don't like it, and I don't think there was any real reason for the change.

Templar was in regards to DPS the weakest class. The logic Zenimax used was "bots use Templars. Destroy Templars". Just pure stupidity.
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Solar Barrage is technically another AoE Melee range Magicak based attack. It boosts your other attacks and combo's well with everything.

Fiery Shards works well in melee range.

Blazing shield is another magicka based AoE melee range (atk/def).
    Edited by oxygen_boarderb16_ESO on 27 May 2014 20:26
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They nerfed
    Biting jabs is literally the templar's only AoE DPS skill.
    And it was the the skill almost every Templar was using (even more so after V6)

So they nerfed it to hell (internal timer from 0.5 to 1.2 seconds) and boosted DK (so they can solo trails runs!)

I can understand balancing, but sorc's and DK have endless mana, (DK with reflex armor set have endless mana and health)

They need to re-look at Templars. Most V6+ templars I know have been forced into rest\dest staff combo and have dropped the templar 'spear' line completely. (Unless they are a tank build)

I am not asking for a buff, just a relook at it.
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

There's a 17 page thread with 500+ comments and over 18,200 views in the general forum on this topic. Perhaps you think it's a minor problem, but that's not the consensus.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100485/was-biting-jabs-nerfed#latest

"Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • jovial
    jovial
    ✭✭
    I would like to see an official update on this, a planned ETA for reverting the changes.
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    the ETA is "soon" .. or more precise .. "with the next patch" .. when ever this will be
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

At this point I dont expect them to change it any time soon if they ever do change it back. Just move on is the best bet at this point.

When it was first nerfed to uselessness and ZoS said it will be reverted back to before patch I expected maybe a day or two (not like it required new coding, all it required was to change coding back to an earlier date). Now I gave up all hope in ZoS being able to balance a MMO. Maybe in 6 months from now it will be balanced and all the issues will be fixed but I see no point in paying a sub during that time. I dont pay for beta and this is what the next few months will feel like. I will be surprised if this game even reaches that point without going F2P or shutting down completely.

And no its not just because of 1 ability nerf. I didnt even use it that often in PvP or PvE, but it just shows ZoS inability to understand balancing. That same patch buffed DKs damaged and nerfed Templars and NBs.

I hope ZoS does not nerf DKs but nerfs is never a solution to balancing.
    1: Fix all the bugs (and fix biting jabs).
    2: Cap Ultimate gains so Ultimates can not be spammed like they currently are.
    3: Then use mathematical formulas to balance the classes. If ZoS does not have a mathematician or two then that's a major problem.