Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

so much for wowkiller huh

canghai
canghai
✭✭✭
looks like we ARE still in azeroth
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the game has more bots than players in a lot of areas... i think its fair to say that when speaking of bots this thing killed WOW and every other MMO out there... from a very long distance.

Actual players? Well they had a lot at launch... now i see fewer and fewer.

They should advertise this as:

ESO - the place where your dreams as a Botter will come true.

Main Features:

- no cheat detection of any kind - feel free to get creative even in PvP, we don`t care
    - no active GM`s - we may have some GM`s active for 5 minutes to make your victims feel we are doing something, but we promise never to use them more than 5-10 minutes at a time
    - as many exploits as we can place - our game was designed with exploiters in mind so you will find everything here from Dupe bugs(unlimited legendary items!) to the usual Experience exploits or even areas where normal NPC`s drop Boss loot!

We have put a lot of work to make sure its all here, come join us dear gwegwegd and bring your AI friends!
    Edited by Reykice on 26 May 2014 22:05
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    What can I say... EverQest2 looks attractive again... I guess that says it all.
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game will only get better with time. Remember, WoW has been out for a decade... ESO has been out for only a few months.
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players and developers alike have continued to fail to learn from the past. Appending the "WoWkiller" tag to any game is only going to curse any chances of success, as it implies the game is going to be so overwhelming and amazing at launch that players and the public in general will hold that game to extremely high expectations, unreasonably so in many cases. This kind of expectation only amplifies the flaws once the game goes live and falls flat because of many of the same bugs seen in other game launches, or brand spanking new ones that few people saw coming (or did see coming but got ignored because some clown with a suit and tie decided they needed that specific shiny number for a release date to market around).
  • Aaklor
    Aaklor
    ✭✭✭
    wow looked attractive until I went to their site and I instantly hated it again. I am reconsidering rift or gw2 again though. Atleast until zenimax gets eso out of beta phase.
  • fougerec99b16_ESO
    fougerec99b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will "kill WOW" unless Blizzard themselves pulls the plug. It's simply too ensconced in the public conscious. Even if they lost 1/2 their subs that would still be millions left playing and nothing will touch that. Not ESO, not Wildstar, not Everquest Next. WoW hit at a time when nothing else came close and has instilled a sort of brand loyalty that permeates to this day.

Instead of looking for the next "WoW", instead look for a game you enjoy playing and support it as best you can. For me, that's ESO. For others it may be something else.
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    At least they didn't advertise it as a WoW killer. That was the media and the internet. Unlike some other games that actually mocked WoW /cough Rift /Cough ...

If you are still in Azeroth ... my condolences
  • fiachsidhe
    fiachsidhe
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, ZoS never marketed their game as a WoW-killer. In fact, they put forth effort to NOT get people to expect a WoW-killer.

Even most of the players understood this and never made the claim either. Killing WoW isn't a good goal. Maintaining healthy competition so both games constantly improve is.
    Edited by fiachsidhe on 26 May 2014 22:31
    Don't have an intelligent argument? Just LOL a post!

Dire Crow - Ebonheart Pact - Dunmer Nightblade
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    People are always perpetually searching for things that don't exist or scenarios that aren't possible/realistic.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I neve played WoW and I don't care if it lives or dies.
  • Hearts
    Hearts
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i dont mind the wowkiller thingy (just from playing the beta you should have seen that it wasnt one).
    What bothered me was the "Its still a beta, they will fix the bugs" kind of people.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roneth wrote: »
    This game will only get better with time. Remember, WoW has been out for a decade... ESO has been out for only a few months.

The bar is higher now. But even cutting them some slack for being new, ZOS still blew an opportunity other studios would kill for and laid a giant egg. The quality of this game is abysmal.
  • tanthil
    tanthil
    ✭✭✭
    This game will only get better with time.

That is an opinion, One i do not share looking at the direction the devs seem to want to head in.

Please keep in mind its not time that makes things better it is peoples work over that time, they have had a good 2 months now to show us that there's at least an idea for a working game here that can last, i don't see it

• HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiachsidhe wrote: »
    Even most of the players understood this and never made the claim either. Killing WoW isn't a good goal. Maintaining healthy competition so both games constantly improve is.

I think you may not be frequenting most of the same forums I have been over the past few years. Especially once the beta weekends opened up, there were all kinds of posts claiming it would be the next WoWkiller - the ESO subreddit was one of the bigger offenders, though other places like the *chans had nearly as many posters making that claim (more being shot down though, those are not tolerant communities).
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the game has more bots than players in a lot of areas... i think its fair to say that when speaking of bots this thing killed WOW and every other MMO out there... from a very long distance.

Actual players? Well they had a lot at launch... now i see fewer and fewer.

They should advertise this as:

ESO - the place where your dreams as a Botter will come true.

Main Features:

- no cheat detection of any kind - feel free to get creative even in PvP, we don`t care
    - no active GM`s - we may have some GM`s active for 5 minutes to make your victims feel we are doing something, but we promise never to use them more than 5-10 minutes at a time
    - as many exploits as we can place - our game was designed with exploiters in mind so you will find everything here from Dupe bugs(unlimited legendary items!) to the usual Experience exploits or even areas where normal NPC`s drop Boss loot!

We have put a lot of work to make sure its all here, come join us dear gwegwegd and bring your AI friends!

You arent very smart, first off all.. Ofc there are less players then launch.. Its always like this with a MMO.. But theres STILL shitloads players that play this with so much fun..

Also WoW killer, the term only already.. Get over yourself :,)
    There are GM's active, and also banning bots.. I get quite often a message that a GM is banning bots..

And its a freaking big MMO, ofc there are bugs and exploits to filter out.. Get over yourself, this game is better then i expected ( Minus the bugs )
  • tanthil
    tanthil
    ✭✭✭

You arent very smart,

You aren't very smart,

• VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Spamming]
    Edited by ZOS_SandraF on 26 May 2014 23:14
    The beginning of the words is ALMSIVI. I give you this as Vivec.
    Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    aleister wrote: »

The bar is higher now. But even cutting them some slack for being new, ZOS still blew an opportunity other studios would kill for and laid a giant egg. The quality of this game is abysmal.

Can only cut them so much slack for "being new" - remember, the guy at the top of ZOS worked at Mythic for over a decade, including something like 6 years on DAoC.
  • Elgarr
    Elgarr
    ✭✭✭

And wow was released in 2004, so 10 years later it's number 1, and a game released 10 years later can't be?

Do we have to wait until 2024 for eso to be as popular as wow is?
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly, I had never heard any one call this a WoW killer. I imagine that someone did, as every new MMO gets designated as a WoW killer by someone. The truth is, no one game will ever kill WoW. It will die slowly by attrition, as people slowly bleed off to different games.
    WoW hit at a time when nothing else came close and has instilled a sort of brand loyalty that permeates to this day.

Sadly, that is true, EQ2 came out at the same time, but the game that they released was not the game they promised. part of that being casual player friendly. They claimed they were creating it for casual players, but then used only current EQ1 players for the beta testing. What came out was not the casual friendly game they originally had presented it to be, but WoW was.

Camps were pretty equally divided, but EQ2 quickly gave up players to WoW. To its credit, EQ2 made a nice turn around and became the game that it should have been at launch. If they had launched that way the MMORPG landscape might look much different now. Both have certain qualities that are better than the other, so it would have come down to preference. I actually like EQ2 much better than WoW, though there are some WoW aspects that I wished were in EQ2.

The future of this game is yet to be written. it certainly has promise but they need to get a handle on things quickly before things really start going down hill.

• tanthil
    tanthil
    ✭✭✭
    TicToc wrote: »
    Oddly, I had never heard any one call this a WoW killer. I imagine that someone did, as every new MMO gets designated as a WoW killer by someone. The truth is, no one game will ever kill WoW. It will die slowly by attrition, as people slowly bleed off to different games.
    WoW hit at a time when nothing else came close and has instilled a sort of brand loyalty that permeates to this day.

Sadly, that is true, EQ2 came out at the same time, but the game that they released was not the game they promised. part of that being casual player friendly. They claimed they were creating it for casual players, but then used only current EQ1 players for the beta testing. What came out was not the casual friendly game they originally had presented it to be, but WoW was.

Camps were pretty equally divided, but EQ2 quickly gave up players to WoW. To its credit, EQ2 made a nice turn around and became the game that it should have been at launch. If they had launched that way the MMORPG landscape might look much different now. Both have certain qualities that are better than the other, so it would have come down to preference. I actually like EQ2 much better than WoW, though there are some WoW aspects that I wished were in EQ2.

The future of this game is yet to be written. it certainly has promise but they need to get a handle on things quickly before things really start going down hill.

actually blizzard had built a strong following with its previous games, including warcraft games which had built a whole lore in which the game was based off of then they took that and built a game which people were very pleased with at the time because it was very advanced for its time and had new ideas that worked.

same can be said for this game to a point.

actually zenimax had built a strong following with its previous games, including elder scrolls games which had built a whole lore in which the game was based off of then they took that and built a game which people were (up to this point)

• Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the WoW community that quickly fires new MMOs up as "wow killers" then they laugh a couple of months later stating it wasn't a WoW killer. Not sure why but I guess that there are some need to "establish" superiority.

For me, WoW killed itself over the years. WoW in the later years have felt like the fast food of MMOs, filled up with content but very little flavour and leaving you hungry for something that fills you up a bit more. I think Blizzard are effectively killing WoW themselves with all the idiotic changes over the years. It doesn't need help from other MMOs to do the killing.

On the other hand, I'm glad that we have other MMOs to chose from, and so should any consumer be. The world of MMOs need competition, so it evolves and changes. Imagine a world with only WoW as an MMO, that is one scary MMO world to be honest. I'm glad I have other choices to dig into, and I've tried some MMOs over the years.
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    Who ever said this game was going to be a "wowkiller"?

People are currently saying that about Wildstar, but to be honest, there will never be a Wowkiller. MMOs are now a niche market. No MMO will ever reach 10+ million subs again, or even close to WoW's current 7-or-so-million subs -- especially not Wildstar, with its "look at us, we know everyone misses spending 80 hours a week grinding and looking for competent people for your 40-man raids" model. It, like ESO, will settle into a niche within a niche.
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I concur and have never seen ESO branded, or claimed, to be a WoW killer. Honestly at this point in time it would be akin to a new pen-and-paper RPG coming out and people saying it's the "D&D killer". It won't happen, it's pretty much the flagship game of it's genre. That doesn't mean people will stop playing it, or that there aren't other good games out there. Just find one you like and play it.

I really don't understand the hate ESO is getting...I know there is a lot of bugs to be fixed and issues to be addressed, and I am not turning a blind eye to it. Bots are annoying but I haven't seen them sweeping though an area or somesuch. Doesn't mean they aren't a problem. Point is, while my friends dabbled in Beta as I did, we both initially thought "meh, just another MMO" but the more I played the more I just let go and realized I had fun. As long as I am having fun playing this game, I will play it. Same goes for any game really.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    tanthil wrote: »
    actually blizzard had built a strong following with its previous games, including warcraft games which had built a whole lore in which the game was based off of then they took that and built a game which people were very pleased with at the time because it was very advanced for its time and had new ideas that worked.

Yes, I know that. I'm not sure what that has to do with my comment. Blizzard had a strong following from single player games. EQ2 had a strong MMORPG following. Both were released around the same time and camps were divided down the middle. Many hated the cartoony graphics of WoW, and had no interest in it, plus they had no faith in Blizzard's first attempt at building an MMO. Meanwhile, EQ2 was coming from a company that had the most successful MMORPG ever (up to that point). If EQ2 would have made a better showing at release that equal divide may have continued. Sadly it took EQ2 8-10 months to make the game what it should have been, but then the damage had already been done. They still have their following, but it is much smaller than it might otherwise have been.
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    maybe I'm in the wrong areas or something but I've never seen a bot, in public dungeons or anywhere out in the world. I also see plenty of people running around, lots of people to help me with ***.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who said this was a WoW killer?

If there were a better MMO out right now, I'd be playing it.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tanthil wrote: »

actually zenimax had built a strong following with its previous games, including elder scrolls games which had built a whole lore in which the game was based off of then they took that and built a game which people were (up to this point)

Zenimax had nothing to do with the previous Elder Scroll games.
  • Laughter Song
    Hadria wrote: »
    maybe I'm in the wrong areas or something but I've never seen a bot, in public dungeons or anywhere out in the world. I also see plenty of people running around, lots of people to help me with ***.

Perhaps you don't know what to look for? Or perhaps you are very fortunate.

If you would like to see them go to Glenumbra - Eagle's Brook Way Shrine and just wait a few minutes; they float 10 to 20 feet above your head respectively and move very quickly (speed hacking). They tend to enter and leave via flying through that particular way point. Many are under the ground - between the layers of graphics farming nodes.

Or go to a beginner area Black Smith or Wood Working station and just wait. In Auridon - Vulkhel Guard they almost magically appear over the BS Anvil (because the move so quickly and through walls) then they quickly zoom off through the walls then through the trees and up to the wood working stations then zoom off again - I am guessing to a bank or Playing Character ( The main bot) who is holding their materials to be deconstructed.

I am planing to video tape them in that area some time today and will post once I get the video finished and loaded.

In lower areas most are in the same clothes that a player begins with. They have an exact way of moving - mechanical like. They can appear as players in dungeons but if you stop to observe a bot or group of bots they will stay in relatively the same position and continue to farm the same boss/mobs repeatedly.

Many form "Trains", which is one lead Bot "Multi Boxing" with up to 19 others but often they are in groups of 5. It appears that a few do dmg, while others loot.

I want to add, the reason I am so persistently adamant is because I enjoy ESO; I want to see it evolve and succeed.

My biggest gripe is that Zenimax refuses to give it's player base concrete exact information on the steps they are taking to rid ESO of this terrible infestation and they refuse to hire GMs full time in the most infested areas to aggressively rid us of the bots while we play and farm materials...nodes are becoming quite scarce as of late.

• indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope folks are speaking for themselves.

The first (almost) two months of launch have provided enormous fun for my wife and I. We're loving this game more than 90% of the other MMO's we've played.

To each their own, and all that. But calling this game 'abysmal' to me just says that you had different expectations that either weren't anywhere near reality - or were completely and utterly unreasonable.

In the end - speak with your wallet - not by spamming your hate on a forum where no one really cares what you think. Move along. Continue your search for the Holy Grail of MMO's, and best of luck to you!