Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Six weeks later - grouping is still broken.

Nitratas
Nitratas
✭✭✭
- Disappearance of group leader privileges - this bug was since the beginning and it's annoying as hell. How come this is not even mentioned in known issues?
- Group markers (arrows) stuck somewhere in the map.
- Group markers totally disappearing from the map. Not knowing where your group mates are - totally adorable.

There's so MANY things that are broken in this game but with the craglorn out grouping bugs really stand out. Moreover, AvA was supposed to be the main thingy in this game and with all the grouping bugs it's just crap. You can't play organised pvp and it ruins guild play experience. I can't believe you push a patch that broken, haven' t you learned from your rushed release already?

While i really love the atmosphere and artwork in this game, seems like you CAN'T possibly get anything right and working from the technical side and it's handled by complete amateurs. This is really pushing me away from this game day after day.
  • indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe take a few months off? Then check back to see if they're fixed?

People posting issues on the forums need to realize that the fixes are coming, but very slowly. It's a long process. If you don't have the patience to wait for them, then it's probably a good idea to save yourself the stress and aggravation - and enjoy something else and check back later?

I can say that I have grouped with my wife in this game since day 1, and the only 'grouping' issues we've experienced are the 'phases' sometimes being out of alignment. Not saying your issues aren't real, of course. Neither she or I are in Craglorn.

And I believe on their list of 'to do', they do have grouping elements listed. So hopefully it's coming - it just might not be at a pace you're expecting or hoping for.
  • Nitratas
    Nitratas
    ✭✭✭
    2 people grouping together will never experience the first problem. I guess you don't even notice the group leader disappearing bug unless you try to invite the third and -- oh wait, theres no group leader to invite the third person
  • Nitratas
    Nitratas
    ✭✭✭
    I can always take break that's true. But why would i look for another game for few months to play now, after investing so much money into ESO? I want a game that i can hang on for some time. What kind of decent company releases AAA title game THAT broken and unfinished?
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    Grouping in ESO is laughable...2014MMO = Rushed product that forgot to include important details such as grouping and how groups should work.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • ciannait
    ciannait
    ✭✭✭
    My husband, not an MMO player, bought this game to play with me. Right now there's no reason to, even with the Rings of Mara. We're not in the same phase, so actually meeting up to even use the scrolls hasn't happened. Just, ugh.
  • c1r3gamerb16_ESO
    ciannait wrote: »
    My husband, not an MMO player, bought this game to play with me. Right now there's no reason to, even with the Rings of Mara. We're not in the same phase, so actually meeting up to even use the scrolls hasn't happened. Just, ugh.

If you find yourself in a different phase to other group members just use the "travel to player" option from the group menu and it should work.

One of my gripes about the grouping system in ESO is to do with talking to your quest NPC. You are reading the text/listening to the voice explaining what to do next etc. when suddenly the screen closes and your quest is updated - and you are lost! Reason because one of your group members read faster and hit their "Goodbye" first and as a result the whole group's quest gets updated. This is not good for an MMO - and very frustrating as you have to ask whoever finished first, "What did he say? What's going on?"

• sovreign
    sovreign
    ✭✭✭
    Its laughable. an absolute joke. anyone who defends them for not having the most basic, fundamental portion of an MMO.. (massively MULTIPLAYER...) in good working order before release needs to wake up. its a AAA game for christ sake.
    its not Multiplayer if you cant group properly, its just single player, while other people run around your dungeon killing your mobs.
    "Soon you will see, that evil will always triumph, because good ... Is dumb"
    -Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    They said they are currently working on fixing said issue. Things don't happen overnight. Give Zenimax a break.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    If only @ZOS didn't give us BETA 'testers' 92-ish hours here....... and there..... and then here again and would have SOLIDLY TESTED through out the time period that was allotted before launch date things would have been and all this would have been totally different. Sorry @ZOS but it's true. You asked us to commit to testing and we did our part; as limited as it was. /sadface

STILL, with Much <3 ,

A beta tester since BETA three (November).

We wanted needed AND asked for MORE TIME.
    Edited by Gwarok on 28 May 2014 02:11
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Nitratas
    Nitratas
    ✭✭✭
    Roneth wrote: »
    They said they are currently working on fixing said issue. Things don't happen overnight. Give Zenimax a break.

It's almost 7 weeks already and i expect a game to have at least BASIC functions working when i buy it.
  • Devlinne
    Devlinne
    ✭✭✭
    Also on the grouping issue. it seems in pvp. When your party goes over "group 3" everyone in the party experiences a big increase in lag.
    Devlinne: VR12 NB
    Demonos: VR12 Sorc
    Devin Flames: VR12 DK
    Hellzanger: VR12 Templar

Thats right. ALL CLASSES.
  • ciannait
    ciannait
    ✭✭✭

After beta, when I took the surveys that asked for my impressions, grouping being as broken as it was was the number 1 thing I talked about. Yet it seems like that went exactly nowhere.

It's not like broken grouping is a new issue that just popped up in the latest patch. We've been asking for better grouping forever.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my gripes about the grouping system in ESO is to do with talking to your quest NPC. You are reading the text/listening to the voice explaining what to do next etc. when suddenly the screen closes and your quest is updated - and you are lost! Reason because one of your group members read faster and hit their "Goodbye" first and as a result the whole group's quest gets updated. This is not good for an MMO - and very frustrating as you have to ask whoever finished first, "What did he say? What's going on?"

this happens in public dungeons too when your not even grouped. Probably the thing I dislike most.
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you find yourself in a different phase to other group members just use the "travel to player" option from the group menu and it should work.

It's interesting that your second paragraph explains (partially) what her issue is (and why the travel to player function doesn't work).

If you are "out of phase" with an NPC, or a group member, they are no longer visible to you. So, even if you try to "travel to player", you are still "out of phase". The only way to fix it is to get to the exact same part of the quest that person is on.

The gripe you have is because, when your group member finished the quest (for your whole group in many cases), the phase adjusted and the NPC goes poof, just like a PC does if you are out of their phase. Same problem, different symptom.

I honestly think that they should have this as their top priority. It is really laughable that you can't even go back to help... or even show someone something... in a quest you have already done. Their desire to make this game look so much like a single player game has really made it tough to do normal grouping. Sure, you can wander with the random stranger you find in your area, but, it makes it impossible to quest with a partner (or a group) on a regular basis unless you all spend the exact same time ingame.
  • ciannait
    ciannait
    ✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »

It's interesting that your second paragraph explains (partially) what her issue is (and why the travel to player function doesn't work).

If you are "out of phase" with an NPC, or a group member, they are no longer visible to you. So, even if you try to "travel to player", you are still "out of phase". The only way to fix it is to get to the exact same part of the quest that person is on.

The gripe you have is because, when your group member finished the quest (for your whole group in many cases), the phase adjusted and the NPC goes poof, just like a PC does if you are out of their phase. Same problem, different symptom.

I honestly think that they should have this as their top priority. It is really laughable that you can't even go back to help... or even show someone something... in a quest you have already done. Their desire to make this game look so much like a single player game has really made it tough to do normal grouping. Sure, you can wander with the random stranger you find in your area, but, it makes it impossible to quest with a partner (or a group) on a regular basis unless you all spend the exact same time ingame.

Not to mention we discovered how well "travel to player" doesn't work in beta. I could be standing right on top of the arrow indicating where he was, hit "travel to player", and then have to find my way back to him from the nearest waypoint.

Add to that the frustrations involved when trying to group and quest at the same time, and we literally haven't grouped since launch.
  • c1r3gamerb16_ESO
    @Robocles: My group decided from day 1 that we would level our mains together so that we were always on the same point with all quests - this has worked fairly well until there is a hic-cup caused perhaps by lag/packet loss so that one of the group manages to click on the object/NPC and is spirited away to next phase but the rest of us are still stuck because the NPC no longer responds to us (so we have to log out of the game and back in just to get it working).

The past week, as we get deeper into the storyline/quests (we're now level 35+) we're finding these problems increasing. Last night was another battle with the game and our enjoyment was blighted so we're not going to play ESO tonight and hope our enthusiasm for the game returns tomorrow.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't 'overnight'. This is how it's been since beta testing started. It was a deliberate and bizarre design choice.
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭

BUAHAHA

Doesn't happen over night?

This was a problem in beta that was reported and now we are coming up on 2 months of release and GROUPING is broken...

They have had more than a break given to them....so clam up white knight.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Spamming]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 28 May 2014 14:33
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭

After beta, when I took the surveys that asked for my impressions, grouping being as broken as it was was the number 1 thing I talked about. Yet it seems like that went exactly nowhere.

It's not like broken grouping is a new issue that just popped up in the latest patch. We've been asking for better grouping forever.

umm, that's all well and good..but how did the voice acting make you feel? A little less voice acting IMO, and more basic MMO success tools. I felt the same way when giving feedback.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe learn how to teleport to each other from the party menu?
    Half of the problem with grouping is ignorance.
  • drwoody44b14_ESO
    drwoody44b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Apparently it doesn't happen over 3 months either, when it was first reported.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nitratas wrote: »
    2 people grouping together will never experience the first problem. I guess you don't even notice the group leader disappearing bug unless you try to invite the third and -- oh wait, theres no group leader to invite the third person

That deserves an lol - of the good kind :smile:
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

How long will this be a defense? Almost on 2 months since early access. They've released tons of patches and a content update... when is enough enough?

Salute to you guys actually hanging by your fingernails here in hopes those much needed changes come "soon" without breaking more things.
  • Phaedryn
    Phaedryn
    ✭✭✭

We are almost two months in, this (as well as so many other issues) was discussed during the beta. The game was in development for YEARS...

Exactly how long should we wait before pointing out flaws? Is there a chart or table somewhere I can consult?
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robocles: My group decided from day 1 that we would level our mains together so that we were always on the same point with all quests - this has worked fairly well until there is a hic-cup caused perhaps by lag/packet loss so that one of the group manages to click on the object/NPC and is spirited away to next phase but the rest of us are still stuck because the NPC no longer responds to us (so we have to log out of the game and back in just to get it working).

The past week, as we get deeper into the storyline/quests (we're now level 35+) we're finding these problems increasing. Last night was another battle with the game and our enjoyment was blighted so we're not going to play ESO tonight and hope our enthusiasm for the game returns tomorrow.

I'm agreeing with you.

They spent all of this time and effort to make an MMO look like a single player game, and this is what we get. What we got was a game the "phases" our environment as we move through it, constantly, and everywhere.

I have seen that exact thing happen, and, you're right, it's disheartening. And you are even "accommodating" the game's inability to allow proper grouping.

I hope you get your enthusiasm back. I'll warn you: It doesn't get any better at this point.
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I won't give them a break on this one. This issue was hammered in beta, and, frankly, was a wildly flawed design choice from the beginning.

But, thanks for your help.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Concur. Took all the beta surveys (except the final one), and left notes and feedback in regard to grouping - specifically, characters forced into single-player-only instancing.

May wind up taking a break from the game and checking back occasionally to see if they've fixed it.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    Yep grouping has some serious issues. This game plays like a single player game then they tried to force it to be a group based game.

Just one example, in some quests that require you to collect certain items, some times if one player collects the item all group members get credit, in other quests each member has to collect their own items.

Each quest seems to react to the group differently and it gets frustrating trying to figure out which approach the group needs to take.

Considering this is suppose to be a MMO fixing grouping should be very high on their list. In fact I think they should put a hold on all new content until the serious bug's have been fixed, adding new content only adds even more bug's they need to fix.
  • Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    I can group.

-Cheers
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iceman_mat wrote: »
    I can group.

-Cheers
    Can you remain grouped during main quest instances?

If so, please reveal whichever hack you used.

- Thanks
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"