Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

PTS beta

Blackwidow
Blackwidow
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The PTS beta was very cool to be in when the game was a year out. Now it is just a place for players to get an advantage of others.

ZOS, make the beta testing server open for everyone, so at least you have a better chance of finding bugs.

I know the trolls are going to say I want this so I can test.

No. I'm in the PTS now. I see what is really going on.

Proof:

Greetings,

Craglorn, the first Adventure Zone in The Elder Scrolls Online, is ready for testing. Patch your PTS client now!

We're looking forward to your feedback, so jump in and start exploring. You'll be able to take on four-player quests in an all-new zone, discover delves with tough bosses, and even pit your 12-player group against the Trials of the Aetherian Archive and Hel Ra Citadel.

Craglorn is balanced for Veteran Rank characters, so we've provided templates to get you started. When you log in, create a new character and select the Craglorn template from the menu in the upper-left. Then, create your character and enter the game. You'll be placed in Belkarth at the appropriate Veteran Rank with a set of gear to get you started. Don't forget to spend your skill points.

We encourage you to try out all the new content, but remember that Craglorn overworld content and delves are balanced for groups of four players, so group up!

Thank you for testing,
The Elder Scrolls Online Team

So, you see. I am trying to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Thank you.

P.S. I know you told us PTS testers that eventually you would let the public test, well
I think now is a good a time as any.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]
Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 22:26
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    I keep wondering:

Why is it called a PUBLIC test server when I and probably 98.9% of us that were actually there during BETA type in our userID and PW for the live game get a denied access pop-up?

Public isn't so public now is it?

Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 22:26
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Crassius
    Crassius
    ✭✭✭
    I've found in other games where the test server has been available to everyone that none of the fears or 'arguments' as they call them ever come to pass. In fact for a developer with the right setup for an open PTS I can imagine it being a absolute joy. Continual surveys (even in game during a fight!) will delight the testers but annoy those who are there just to goof around or gain an exploit advantage. In fact, I believe most people will just use the PTS to play when the servers are down. They won't test, they will just play. I'm actually OK with that as minor bugs will be found this way.

I don't believe ZOS wants such an open set-up and as such without the full commitment of player-testing anything they do will smack of jerky-knee-syndrome. It would ultimately be a waste of everybody's time. A proper PTS is staffed continually by a QA team solely dedicated to that environment, not a team who also works QA on all the other games that the studio is pumping out at the time. The more the merrier but even two dedicated staff members will work out fine. The proper player testers will get to know them personally, play with them regularly and everybody will love it when the QA/GM comes and uses them for a scenario or two for several hours.

MMO's need and deserve a dedicated QA team and (as I have seen) ZOS does not have or agree with that for TESO. Using players to do testing on anything other than stress events are worthless. Yeah you will get a few minor bugs squashed but where is the integrity and trust? It's impossible to give it to a virtual stranger. You need employees on the payroll who earn their money by testing. You need contracts, proper reporting abilities and direct lines into the developer's systems.

Anything else is effectively a PR exercise in my eyes.
    Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll...
    Everything I say is just my opinion. Like it or not - that's all it is.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gwarok wrote: »
    I keep wondering:

Why is it called a PUBLIC test server when I and probably 98.9% of us that were actually there during BETA type in our userID and PW for the live game get a denied access pop-up?

Public isn't so public now is it?

PTS is not public test server.

It is Psijit test server.

Moderator edit: Removed edited content from quote.
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 22:28
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

PTS servers have been shut down and when they reopen in the future it will be available to the public.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PTS server has never been used for any real QA testing of patches. Heck, the last version we tested on PTS before the game went live never even made it to live.
    ZOS went live with a version we had never seen.

Same goes for 1.1.2. That was never tested on PTS either. All we had was Craglorn.
    And it was locked down so we couldn't even leave the zone to test anything else.

I agree with the OP about opening up the PTS to the public. It's time ...

I have personally filed many, many hundreds of bug reports on PTS over the last 8 months. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those have been ignored and were never addressed. That is, at least partially, the reason why the current PTS participation is at an all time low.

Most PTS testers have lost interest in reporting bugs only to have those reports be lost in space. It's been a very frustrating experience.
    :(
    Moderator edit: Removed quote and reply to previously edited post.
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 22:28
  • Zenzu
    Zenzu
    ✭✭
    I don't know that testing is the issue. I have submitted hundreds of bug reports while playing in beta and live, none of those issues have been fixed. This is a developer problem and a project management problem, not a testing problem.

Not having high enough standards for releasing product is the primary issue. If only the management had enough sense to delay a completely broken patch that only pissed off more people, and probably lost a significant amount of subscribers.

Hard to believe the level of ignorance in human psychology the ZOS management are presenting. People vote against, not for. If you want to lose people *** them off. Want to gain more people, avoid pissing people off. Not breaking basic gameplay > new craglorn content.

Would have thought those with so much responsibility, size of paycheck and accountability to financiers would have a tiny amount of understanding of consumer decision making. People stay loyal until you make em angry, consider that my free multimillion dollar value consulting advice.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Zenzu I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I feel if they had more people posting hundreds of bugs, it might make a small dent...

Maybe.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies for the

"[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]"

I'll say one thing I'm definitely not looking forward to, is when ZOS fixes the forums inbox and I get to see (all) the infraction point(s) notification(s) I've racked up. :#
    Edited by Gwarok on 25 May 2014 22:44
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is with all the editing from the moderator? I don't know what was changed, if anything.

I was not given a PM from the moderator or an email.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    The PTS beta was very cool to be in when the game was a year out. Now it is just a place for players to get an advantage of others.

ZOS, make the beta testing server open for everyone, so at least you have a better chance of finding bugs.

I know the trolls are going to say I want this so I can test.

No. I'm in the PTS now. I see what is really going on.

Proof:

Greetings,

Craglorn, the first Adventure Zone in The Elder Scrolls Online, is ready for testing. Patch your PTS client now!

We're looking forward to your feedback, so jump in and start exploring. You'll be able to take on four-player quests in an all-new zone, discover delves with tough bosses, and even pit your 12-player group against the Trials of the Aetherian Archive and Hel Ra Citadel.

Craglorn is balanced for Veteran Rank characters, so we've provided templates to get you started. When you log in, create a new character and select the Craglorn template from the menu in the upper-left. Then, create your character and enter the game. You'll be placed in Belkarth at the appropriate Veteran Rank with a set of gear to get you started. Don't forget to spend your skill points.

We encourage you to try out all the new content, but remember that Craglorn overworld content and delves are balanced for groups of four players, so group up!

Thank you for testing,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

So, you see. I am trying to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Thank you.

P.S. I know you told us PTS testers that eventually you would let the public test, well
    I think now is a good a time as any.

Watch it they will close this post. I started a couple of threads about it when craglorn went onto the PTS and zos guys shut both of them down and threatened me about making anymore posts about the PTS. It is total BS that paying customers were locked out of the PTS for craglorn and you can see by the results of the testing and the twitches from PTS all they cared about was fastest times in the trials.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ashigaru wrote: »

Watch it they will close this post. I started a couple of threads about it when craglorn went onto the PTS and zos guys shut both of them down and threatened me about making anymore posts about the PTS. It is total BS that paying customers were locked out of the PTS for craglorn and you can see by the results of the testing and the twitches from PTS all they cared about was fastest times in the trials.

Apparently, the Moderator already changed some things, but honestly, I'm not sure what.

"[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]"