Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cant put fullscreen mode..

garfsbastian
So with the new patch, It seems i cant put the game in fullscreen anymore..
Well the game is in fullscreen but when i look at the settings it says windowd fullscreen.
And when i change the settings like resolution, graphics, i cant see any change..This with the new patch.

Any suggestions?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To my knowledge, fullscreen before 1.1.2 wasn't true fullscreen either. [Alt]+[Enter] would always diminish (with window border) or enlarge (without) the same viewscreen.

Maybe there isn't a "true" fullscreen mode build in yet, and all they've done is fixing it display of the option.

I can change my graphics quality settings just fine, but you're right about the resolution setting: it stays greyed out in "Windowed" and "Windowed (Fullscreen)", and only becomes active in "Fullscreen" setting. Changing the resolution setting has no effect at all, however.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on 24 May 2014 15:22
    Options
  • christerb16_ESO2
    christerb16_ESO2
    Soul Shriven
    From what I've seen, both full screen and windowed fullscreen behave exactly as the pre-1.1.2 proper full screen. External screens show content, but the game steals keyboard input even if I try to type into a window of another app.

I can't tell the two full-screen modes apart now, and have had to switch to normal windowed mode to be able to interact with other applications properly on my external screens.

At first, I thought they had implemented a proper window-dressing free windowed fullscreen, but unfortunately that's not the case.
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    My only problem is that it shows up like this..and it wasent, i had allways fullscreen in it - now it shows like that, and when i put fullscreen and change resolution etc - nothing happens..

Sorry for the english :)!
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically just the way they word it now (reflecting I guess that the PC client now has true fullscreen which the Mac already had) I did mention it in testing as I felt it was rather confusing but it's the same ;)
    Edited by Moonraker on 24 May 2014 21:35
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Basically just the way they word it now (reflecting I guess that the PC client now has true fullscreen which the Mac already had) I did mention it in testing as I felt it was rather confusing but it's the same ;)

then why is that when i change resolution nothing happens, if i put 800x600 i should see pixels loads of them and nothing happens..its not reading the resolution when i change it..it only changes graphics it seems.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

then why is that when i change resolution nothing happens, if i put 800x600 i should see pixels loads of them and nothing happens..its not reading the resolution when i change it..it only changes graphics it seems.
    OK, just testing and you are correct. I had not noticed other than it defaults to Windowed (Fullscreen) Not possible to change resolution in game Settings.
    Options
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem here - cannot enter Fullscreen any more. The problem is that Fullscreen (Windowed) is only about 50-60% frame rate of the real Fullscreen (probably due to res difference 2560x1440 vs 1600x900).

This started after the quick Launcher update that happened yesterday mid afternoon as I exited the game. When I came back to it in the evening, frame rates were down.

I’ve created a ticket (140525-012043), and was asked to provide the result of running “Game Consultant”, but was unable to, as it run for an hour (stuck on about 25-30% of the progress bar), so I Forced Quit it at that point. I let the support know, and awaiting the response.

In the meantime, doing some reading on the forums - apparently there had been some memory leak issues and if you look at forums you will find suggestions from support to switch to Fullscreen (Windowed) until the memory issues are resolved. So now I wonder whether the quick patch yesterday was to disable Fullscreen for everyone as a stop gap measure. If that’s the case they should have clearly communicated that when the Launcher starts, so we do not waste time trying to troubleshoot.
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
    AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
    DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
    Options
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the game folder in My Documents you can find a text file there called "UserSettings.txt".

You can use this file to manually set the fullscreen settings. Search for the following entry.

SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"

Values are '0', '1' & '2'
    0 = Window
    1 = Fullscreen Window
    2 = Fullscreen [Borderless Window]

I'm not sure if this will help you with your problem, but it's something worth trying that isn't too hard to do. As far as I know, this is as close to a true fullscreen mode you can get though.

I can say that my video drivers tend to crash more often using the "2" option.
    Options
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve already tried modifying FULLSCREEN_v5, as well as changing PreferMaximizedWindow and PreferExclusiveFullscreen to 0 and 1, respectively.

They all reset on client launch to:

SET PreferMaximizedWindow "0"
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "0"
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "1"
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
    AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
    DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you go to the game folder in My Documents you can find a text file there called "UserSettings.txt".

You can use this file to manually set the fullscreen settings. Search for the following entry.

SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"

0 = Window
    1 = Fullscreen Window
    2 = Fullscreen [Borderless Window]

I'm not sure if this will help you with your problem, but it's something worth trying that isn't too hard to do. As far as I know, this is as close to a true fullscreen mode you can get though.

I can say that my video drivers tend to crash more often using the "2" option.
    Not sure if this is for PC client but for Mac client it doesn't really work this way.

0 = Windowed
    1 = Fullscreen
    2 = Fullscreen

There is no Windowed(Fullscreen) mode for the Mac client. Either of those settings are just Fullscreen in which Vsync works and OS X controls such as Spaces, Mission Control don't. They only work in Windowed (non edge to edge)

So, currently the game will revert the setting to Windowed(Fullscreen) even if you change it in game settings just by swapping to another menu then back. But whatever it says, it is still not actully functioning as labelled but as Fullscreen.

It's simple the test to see it is in true Fullscreen by enabling Vsync and it will cap the FPS to 30FPS due to the double buffering (or 60 if you have low settings and have consistent FPS over 60) Set to either or reverted it still works which shows it is actual true Fullscreen now maximised as was or windowed fullscreen.

It reflects the change to the PC client to add true fullscreen but has now messed up settings and wont allow change of resolution either in game or via the UserSettings.txt.
    Edited by Moonraker on 25 May 2014 19:39
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    Well i just know something changed and my game is slower now...what a bum srly :s,
    I runned with subsampling at max ( cuz it was the onyl thing i could keep high ) and now i must run at medium or low..

Yeh config changes everything back..
    Options
  • jgw_ESO
    jgw_ESO
    Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else stuck on this issue:

I've confirmed, as many have already said, that changing the "fullscreen" resolution has no effect whatsoever on OS X, and that the settings always pop back to "fullscreen (windowed)". This means that the game is rendering at whatever resolution the OS decides to return as the "full" native resolution.

Where this gets weird is on Retina macs. There is a "translation layer" of sorts between the native resolution (2880x1800 on a 15" MacBook Pro) and what applications see. By default, this is 0.5x, giving 1440x900, which is the same as non-Retina 15" MacBooks. This is controlled by the incredibly obscure new "Displays" preference pane, which gives you options ranging from "larger text" to "more space". What these actually mean is "lower resolution" to "higher resolution". If you're like me and you found the default resolution to give offensively large text, you likely bumped it a notch towards "more space".

If this is the case, you're running at either 2160x1350 or 2880x1800, both of which are just too many pixels for the poor video card to push for a fullscreen game. Bump this value back to either the default ("best (retina)") or even a notch lower, and you'll get the effect of changing the game's resolution, and a very significant speed boost. I now find that it runs precisely as smoothly as it did under Windows. And now I can go nuke that BootCamp partition (yay!).
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    jgw_ESO wrote: »

I've confirmed, as many have already said, that changing the "fullscreen" resolution has no effect whatsoever on OS X, and that the settings always pop back to "fullscreen (windowed)". This means that the game is rendering at whatever resolution the OS decides to return as the "full" native resolution.

Where this gets weird is on Retina macs. There is a "translation layer" of sorts between the native resolution (2880x1800 on a 15" MacBook Pro) and what applications see. By default, this is 0.5x, giving 1440x900, which is the same as non-Retina 15" MacBooks. This is controlled by the incredibly obscure new "Displays" preference pane, which gives you options ranging from "larger text" to "more space". What these actually mean is "lower resolution" to "higher resolution". If you're like me and you found the default resolution to give offensively large text, you likely bumped it a notch towards "more space".

If this is the case, you're running at either 2160x1350 or 2880x1800, both of which are just too many pixels for the poor video card to push for a fullscreen game. Bump this value back to either the default ("best (retina)") or even a notch lower, and you'll get the effect of changing the game's resolution, and a very significant speed boost. I now find that it runs precisely as smoothly as it did under Windows. And now I can go nuke that BootCamp partition (yay!).

I dont understand what was your sugestion!

"If this is the case, you're running at either 2160x1350 or 2880x1800, both of which are just too many pixels for the poor video card to push for a fullscreen game"

But yeh this is my problem i have a 27" imac late 2012 with a poor graphic card of 512mb which ruins my gameplay with eso.. ( i cant play with 2500x etc etc )

What should i change to default? what value?

Options
  • Cheesetooth
    Cheesetooth
    Soul Shriven
    But yeh this is my problem i have a 27" imac late 2012 with a poor graphic card of 512mb which ruins my gameplay with eso.. ( i cant play with 2500x etc etc )

I'm playing on a mid-2010 27" iMac 2.9 GHz i7 with ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB and I found out long ago that if I want anything close to smooth frame rates with newer games that the highest resolution I should go with is 1920x1080. So give that resolution a try and mess around with medium to low graphics settings in ESO and it should give you a decent fps. It's really just the curse of owning an iMac with a high res capable screen, without the GPU power to back it up :anguished: As for the main post topic, fullscreen has been a real rollercoaster over the months for this game hasn't it :wink:
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jgw_ESO wrote: »

Not quite sure what you are saying here. The thread issue is that some bug was introduced which actually prevents the Mac client from being able to change resolution as it worked before i.e. from the settings menu. It is possible to select Fullscreen then change but nothing happens. previously it would change resolution fine. I think the exception was some posted it may work differently on the MacBoook Pro Retina.

As explained above. There are essentially two working modes for the Mac client whatever the settings currently now show;

Fullscreen (true fullscreen and Vsync works = capping to refresh rate i.e. 60 - 3- - 15 etc. edge to edge no Mac shortcuts)
    Windowed (opens to extent of window below menu bar at top and Dock if at bottom, can use Mac shortcuts for Spaces etc. and Vsync doesn't work.

The Windowed (Fullscreen) does nothing and it essentially Fullscreen.

Not sure how it is possible to change the Fullscreen resolution as it is set by the Mac client not OS X.
    Edited by Moonraker on 27 May 2014 00:25
    Options
  • Randay
    Randay
    ✭✭✭
    i yesterday noticed that you can actually use the mac os x zoom feature when playing in "fullscreen mode
    =>that means that it really is actually no fullscreen but only a window in fullscreen

i dont like it - zeni please change it
    if less really is more, then maybe nothing is everything
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Randay wrote: »
    i yesterday noticed that you can actually use the mac os x zoom feature when playing in "fullscreen mode
    =>that means that it really is actually no fullscreen but only a window in fullscreen

I explained fairly extensively how you can see it is true Fullscreen above. I just tested and Zoom doesn't work in Fullscreen either, like any other Apple key commands.

So, perhaps it is different on other Macs. I have an iMac. If you have an MacBook Pro then perhaps it handles the screen mode differently as mentioned. I don't have one to test. But if it is not true Fullscreen, then Vsync should not work (capped FPS 60 > 30 > 15 etc. when Fullscreen (reverts to Windowed (Fullscreen) in 1.1.2 but same function) That's why Vsync did not work on the PC client before as they did not have true Fullscreen. Update 1.1.2 introduced it. Maybe that changed something on MBP or it is just different.

Apple say Zoom can be used fullscreen mode but not sure if that is true or maximised fullscreen. It doesn't work for me when in Fullscreen so I assume the later;
    Zoom is a powerful built-in magnifier that lets you enlarge your screen up to 20 times, so you can better see what’s on the display. You can use it full screen or picture-in-picture, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. The hardware acceleration engine lets you boost the size of everything on your screen — text on a web page, family photos, a place on a map.
    source
    Edited by Moonraker on 27 May 2014 14:15
    Options
  • garfsbastian

I'm playing on a mid-2010 27" iMac 2.9 GHz i7 with ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB and I found out long ago that if I want anything close to smooth frame rates with newer games that the highest resolution I should go with is 1920x1080. So give that resolution a try and mess around with medium to low graphics settings in ESO and it should give you a decent fps. It's really just the curse of owning an iMac with a high res capable screen, without the GPU power to back it up :anguished: As for the main post topic, fullscreen has been a real rollercoaster over the months for this game hasn't it :wink:

1920x1080 is just too much for me ahah i go around 1600x 1300x - the problem is that i dotn know in what resolution i am..since it just dosent change :confused:
    Options
  • Deimos
    Deimos
    Randay wrote: »

I explained fairly extensively how you can see it is true Fullscreen above. I just tested and Zoom doesn't work in Fullscreen either, like any other Apple key commands.

So, perhaps it is different on other Macs. I have an iMac. If you have an MacBook Pro then perhaps it handles the screen mode differently as mentioned. I don't have one to test. But if it is not true Fullscreen, then Vsync should not work (capped FPS 60 > 30 > 15 etc. when Fullscreen (reverts to Windowed (Fullscreen) in 1.1.2 but same function) That's why Vsync did not work on the PC client before as they did not have true Fullscreen. Update 1.1.2 introduced it. Maybe that changed something on MBP or it is just different.

Apple say Zoom can be used fullscreen mode but not sure if that is true or maximised fullscreen. It doesn't work for me when in Fullscreen so I assume the later;
    Zoom is a powerful built-in magnifier that lets you enlarge your screen up to 20 times, so you can better see what’s on the display. You can use it full screen or picture-in-picture, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. The hardware acceleration engine lets you boost the size of everything on your screen — text on a web page, family photos, a place on a map.
    source
    I have zoom working for me too on retina MBP in fullscreen, also vsync works in any of the 3 modes. (I still see fps numbers like 40, 50, etc, but it caps at 60 fps, so it's not double buffered?)
    Edited by Deimos on 27 May 2014 19:05
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    Zoom does nothing to me or benefit i guess, as ( fullscreen, window ) works as fullscreen to me, but not in managing resolutions or wtv - i cant change resolution in any of the modes, thats the only strange part :disappointed: that i know its the problem of the spikes im geting while playing
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deimos wrote: »
    I have zoom working for me too on retina MBP in fullscreen, also vsync works in any of the 3 modes. (I still see fps numbers like 40, 50, etc, but it caps at 60 fps, so it's not double buffered?)
    I suspect the it is some difference in how the Retina deals with Fullscreen mode in other applications.

But what it's showing if its not capped to 30 is that the Vsync can be enabled but it doesn't actually work unless true Fullscreen. Unless it finds the refresh rate is different as it uses the value dependant on the refresh rate and the halves it if it's not consistently over that value. So maybe it sets it to 60. I don;t have one to test myself.

With Vsync in anything other than true Fullscreen the game will be using the OS X own vsync system for that window.

The Vsync used is double buffering which caps FPS to refresh rate of the display which for mine is 60Hz so it will cap at 60FPS BUT only if I can sustain consistent framerates over 60FPS (I can if I turn settings down to Medium or lower) Otherwise so for me my FPS on Ultra-High is around 45-55FPS so it caps to the next level down which is half or 30FPS even if my Mac can support more. It's just how it keeps the framerate the same os the refresh rate to avoid tearing.

It is the same for the PC client now it has trued Fullscreen in latest patch except they can disable it and use Vsync forced via the Nvidia Control Panel which we can't do on the Mac to avoid this staggered capping.

Mostly I always recommend Vsync off anyhow unless you are lucky enough to get consistent 60+ FPS. as it also impacts memory use which is not cool on the Mac client.

The game caps any computer to 100FPS anyhow unless you tinker directly with the UserSettings file.
    Edited by Moonraker on 27 May 2014 21:35
    Options
  • garfsbastian
    Deimos wrote: »
    I suspect the it is some difference in how the Retina deals with Fullscreen mode in other applications.

But what it's showing if its not capped to 30 is that the Vsync can be enabled but it doesn't actually work unless true Fullscreen. Unless it finds the refresh rate is different as it uses the value dependant on the refresh rate and the halves it if it's not consistently over that value. So maybe it sets it to 60. I don;t have one to test myself.

With Vsync in anything other than true Fullscreen the game will be using the OS X own vsync system for that window.

The Vsync used is double buffering which caps FPS to refresh rate of the display which for mine is 60Hz so it will cap at 60FPS BUT only if I can sustain consistent framerates over 60FPS (I can if I turn settings down to Medium or lower) Otherwise so for me my FPS on Ultra-High is around 45-55FPS so it caps to the next level down which is half or 30FPS even if my Mac can support more. It's just how it keeps the framerate the same os the refresh rate to avoid tearing.

It is the same for the PC client now it has trued Fullscreen in latest patch except they can disable it and use Vsync forced via the Nvidia Control Panel which we can't do on the Mac to avoid this staggered capping.

Mostly I always recommend Vsync off anyhow unless you are lucky enough to get consistent 60+ FPS. as it also impacts memory use which is not cool on the Mac client.

The game caps any computer to 100FPS anyhow unless you tinker directly with the UserSettings file.

And is there a way to lower resolution...that stays?

Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think it should be fixed soon so the in game settings allow resolution setting again.

Options
  • garfsbastian
    Think it should be fixed soon so the in game settings allow resolution setting again.

sounds good :) thanks again Moon!

Options