The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered

rmk17
rmk17
Soul Shriven
If you get the error "NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered", here are my 5 cent and experience!

The Thief’s Guild patch game rendered completely unplayable to me. After 3-4 minutes of play my screen freezes with sound still continuing and after alt tab I can see the notification that the NVidia driver stopped working. According to GPU-Z immediately before the crash GPU usage peaked at 99% and that 0%. Btw temperature never goes over 75C in my system.

Important thing to say is that I have not experienced any kind of trouble with ANY other game installed except to Elder Scrolls Online. And those include GPU intensive games like GTA5, Diablo, Dark Souls (even 3), Witcher 3, Grim Dawn etc.

My system is Alienware 17 laptop (2014) with Intel i7-4710MQ, and Optimus (Intel 4600 + Nvidia 880m GTX), RAM 16GB, SSD 850 Samsung 500GB, 1TB HDD, SSD 80GB M2 running under Windows 7. I do not overclock, run stock video bios, stock MB bios.

I spent 3 weeks browsing forums and trying all sorts of thing to resolve the issue. Those included:

1. Shuffling with multiple NVidia drivers from 344.75, 345.20, 350.12, 355.82, 358.50, 362.00 with DDU clean beforehand. I have not tried latest drivers 364.x from NVidia, as people suggest they brick adapter. Btw one of the best drivers TDR-wise appeared to be 353.49, kudos to the guy here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3do60l/if_you_get_the_error_nvidia_windows_kernel_mode/
2. Adjusting TDR Registry Keys as of https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx
3. Setting various power savings options, including High performance profile and use “off” setting for PCI Express – Link State Power Management
4. 3D Settings in NVidia Control Panel -> Power Management mode -> Prefer maximum performance. PhysX -> set to GeForce GTX 880M instead of auto-select.
5. Disabled sleep, hibernation etc.
6. Physically cleaned machine and repasted GPU and CPU heat sinks.
7. Removed NVidia HD Audio drivers and disable NVidia Audio device.
8. Removing and rebuilding UserSettings.txt.
9. Tried SET RequestedNumJobThreads "-1"->0, SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1"->0 as some people suggested. That actually led to longer loading times, but crash came after 3 minute in-game anywy.
10. Running game on medium to low settings. FPS > 110, GPU usage 41-45% and then bump 99% and freeze.
11. Also I tried medium-low settings for both ESO64.exe and ESO.exe. GPU usage falls to 35-50%, temperature maxed at 69C, but after 3-4 minutes, or sometimes even sooner, GPU usage peaked at 99% then 0% and game crashed. As I have said before this applies only to ESO. Other games work just fine.
12. Also there were numerous "Failed to create vertex buffer: hr=887a0005" messages in the "..Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\Logs\client.log". I tried with the following advice https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31903/~/why-am-i-crashing-and-missing-textures-with-the-error-failed-to-create-vertex by settings "Language for non Unicode programs" to English (United States), but it did not help. Game still crashed.

Finally, the only solution that worked for me was underclocking 880m gtx with NVidia Inspector by 20-30Mhz (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html), lowering base clock to 924MHz effectively. Now the game is able to run on high settings with 95-100 fps, which I adjust to 60 with in game v-sync to ease the strain on the adapter (btw does it actually help?)

I do not have to undeclock chip for other games, but apparently in the latest patch it employs some GPU intensive code, that is not particularly optimized at the moment. Also I guess 880m gtx chip is unstable at stock clocks. After underclocking the game crashes sometimes, but mostly based on some addons (LUA) errors.

Offtopic: installing latest EVGA Precision X (for the OSD feature) system bricked my LCD screen by writing incorrect data to EEPROM. I tried to reflash the lcd eeprom from Linux, but eventually I had to replace it, since I lacked correct EEPROM for my screen. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/evga-precision-x-and-windows-7-8-8-1-and-especially-10-bricking-systems.781467/

Thanks.
  • key
    key
    Soul Shriven
    Identical issue here. I've been going nuts over it.

Running a GTX 770 and tried just about everything you've listed but after the same 3-4 minutes the video freezes, though audio continues and any keyboard input sounds like it registers in game. I need to then alt+tab out and back in to receive my crash report. It's definitely an ESO issue as I've been playing Fallout 4 and other games without a hitch.

Super bumming for me as I'm just coming back to this game after not playing since the Tamriel Unlimited update. Really excited to get back into it.

Hoping for a fix soon!
  • TonyD
    TonyD
    Soul Shriven
    I recently purchased the game and subscribed, 2 days ago. My previous experience was the beta, and while I didn't like the game, I had no issues with any bugs or problems relating to performance.

In the two days that I've tried to play the game I can't go more then 1 hour without the video crashing. Like everyone else I can hear the game sounds and my characters interactions in the world and the ui, but the video is black. Alt-tab to close the window and get they Crash report.

I've tried everything from sources going back to 2014 with fixes same as the OP in this thread. I updated all firmware and bios for my system. Made all the changes with the 3d performance, user settings, and graphics options.

Nothing works. This is the only game that I have problems with.

My system is starting to get dated, but I can still run new releases on high without any problems at all.

I'm wondering who to contact to get my subscription refunded, I feel like it's unplayable in this condition. Crashing sometimes 3 times an hour regardless of what I'm doing in game.
  • rmk17
    rmk17
    Soul Shriven
    First of all, make sure your GPU is stable. Try run Sky Diver, Cloud Gate, Fire Strike (all from 3DMark) to make sure your hardware is fine. Unigine Heaven is also good (and free). As I mentioned before I had to down clock GPU by 30Mhz to make ESO stable. It runs solid now.
  • brickleyralphub17_ESO
    brickleyralphub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    @rmk17

Thank you for your comments! I JUST this past few weeks got back into ESO and I've recently upgraded to a new Radeon R9 380 card. It is an amazing card and the game runs beautifully. I'm getting average of 75-85FPS at all times with things maxed out so I didn't think the card was the problem.

However, I dropped the GPU clock by 10% in the global settings and played solid with the same FPS, no lack of power and not a single crash. Thank you for sharing that knowledge. I was about to give up on the game but I love it.

I did want to point out a difference in my experience. The game would go to a black screen and I could tell it was the video driver dropping because my monitor lost signal, but the audio kept playing. It was however different in that the PC was not accepting any keyboard commands. My only recourse was to hard reboot the PC.

Anyways, thanks for the tips. I'm back in!
  • sandsou
    sandsou
    Unfortunately under-clocking seems to be the only way out of the situation.

After hours of tests and trials, only by under-clocking my Gigabyte GTX 770 saves me from the crashes/freezes. No other methods, e.g. switching to DX9, fiddling with video card driver, etc., works.

Just wanna drop by and thanks for providing the "solution" of the problem. Really do hope Bethesda and Zenimax would work on this long-existing issue.
  • notepad
    notepad
    ✭✭
    I've been having the same issue. First it started when I purchased the Orsinium DLC. An ESO patch eventually solved the Nvidia driver recover/black screen error. Then Thieves Guild came out and I purchased it and I have not been able to play since.

I was running Windows 7 x64 and a GTX 770, along with other components. I even tried downclocking both CPU and GPU and neither helped. Also did a ton of other things like removing mods, completely uninstalling the game and deleting the leftover folders, doing all the INI edits, etc.

I recently upgraded my computer--motherboard, CPU, and RAM are all new. Had to get rid of my old PCI soundcard, so using onboard for the time being. Installed Windows 10. I still have the GTX 770 as I'm waiting for the 1080s to come out. So fresh install, new OS, mostly new HW, clean install of ESO. I fire it up and--boom, Nvidia driver crash within 2 minutes. Same problem on both the 32 and 64 bit clients, the only difference is the 64 bit locks up as soon as my character enters the game and with 32 bit I can take about 20 steps before it locks.

I haven't tried downclocking the 770 since the new build (CPU is at default, 770 is a mild factory OC) but I don't expect much luck. Would be nice if they'd fix it--before with Orsinium a patch fixed it. Now I've been kicked out of my guilds due to being inactive too long and cannot play the DLC I've paid for.

• phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was running a R9 380 (AMD) & getting numerous CTD through drivers not responding, this includes hard crashes when I lost video signal.
    In the end I removed my card and replaced it with my old one. While this stopped the crashes, the constant stutter & lag is extreme. Especially in Orsinium.
    Fiddled around with the TdR settings. Did not help
    followed various guides posted about fixing stutter & frame rate problems. None helped.
    Ran a repair. Did not help.
    Core parking. Did not help.
    Going back to the 32 bit client did not help.
    Deleted all out of date add-ons, this is my last option.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/611701360826896362/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/212271/stuttering-graphics-since-update/p2

Links above shows the different options I tried using to fix CTD's and stuttering.

Completely at a loss as to why this started happening as on last Sunday. Up until then the game was stable.

Edited by phairdon on 28 May 2016 22:44
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rmk17 wrote: »
    If you get the error "NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered", here are my 5 cent and experience!
    sandsou wrote: »
    Unfortunately under-clocking seems to be the only way out of the situation.

After hours of tests and trials, only by under-clocking my Gigabyte GTX 770 saves me from the crashes/freezes. No other methods, e.g. switching to DX9, fiddling with video card driver, etc., works.

Yes, I had a problem similar to this, and I solved it.

This is what I experienced:
    • ESO would crash anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours after I started to play the game.
    • The crash was a black screen with audio continuing to play.
    • The Event was that the NVIDIA driver stopped responding and successfully recovered.
    • It was not unusual that the system needed to be powered off; simply rebooting it, or pressing the reset button, did not fix it.
    • No other game exhibited any problem, including Skyrim on max settings.
    • There were no thermal problems and I was running EVGA Precision X to manage that.
    • No driver level made any difference, and I installed drivers several versions back.
    • I was able to play ESO longer if I under-clocked the graphics adapter. This was an EVGA out-of-the-box over clocked card, so I simply removed the over clock.

So, what fixed it was getting EVGA to replace their card with a new one. That fixed it instantly, and permanently.

My personal opinion is that anyone who gets the driver stopped responding and recovered error, has tried several different driver levels, and has resorted to under-clocking their GPU below factory, needs to consider just buying a new GPU. Your problems might be hardware, no matter how many other games work fine. Alternately, you could wait for ZOS to "fix" it.

If some ZOS patch "fixes" your problem, it is likely that they just tweaked how they are using the GPU. That change merely dropped ESO a little lower in GPU load and the problem is masked. It would be a random fix, not something targeted at this problem. You can hold out for something like that, but they are talking about moving some tasks TO the GPU, which sounds to me like if your GPU is marginal, this will only make matters worse.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to update this.

Fixed my problem by right clicking the game icon, going into properties and ticking 'disable display scaling on high DPI settings' box.
    My stuttering, freezes, crashes stopped.

This was one of the suggestions I got from sending in a ticket to customer support.

Thanks @ZOS_ShannonM ?

Suggest giving the above a try.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Euphoria666
    phairdon wrote: »
    Just wanted to update this.

Fixed my problem by right clicking the game icon, going into properties and ticking 'disable display scaling on high DPI settings' box.
    My stuttering, freezes, crashes stopped.

This was one of the suggestions I got from sending in a ticket to customer support.

Thanks @ZOS_ShannonM ?

Suggest giving the above a try.

I been playing with that option ticking all this time and i have lots of freezes/crashes.
    So its not really a fix, only for some ppl.

One thing though might help is to switch from full screen mode to windowed full screen, it somewhat reduce the issues but still not a solution.