Make the server infrastructure OPEN-SOURCE.

dannymacom
First off, I don't want to sound shrill or overly dramatic. I'm not an idealist with some make-up credentials on why I'm an export on MMOPG video games. I am however a back-end developer/system admin for a large corporate company.

Endless loading screens, failed login attempts, disconnects.

This isn't unusual for most MMOs when they launch but it is persistent with this game.

Idea

Open up the infrastructure for other professionals to review the work by open-sourcing the overall architecture. Perhaps other players that have credentials in big-data and high throughput systems would be able to assist?
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    This Random Event sounds like it would trigger a Golden Age for the Malicious Hacker Empire.
    Veritas et aequitas, et usque ad mortem.
  • XDem
    XDem
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what could go wrong with this idea.
  • Magischzwei
    Magischzwei
    ✭✭✭
    I felt a disturbance in the force of code, as if suddenly, 100s of millions of gold sellers suddenly jubilated :3
  • dannymacom
    Jirki88 wrote: »
    This Random Event sounds like it would trigger a Golden Age for the Malicious Hacker Empire.

A full detailed discussion on closed source vs. open source should be a conversation for somewhere else imho.

That being said, if a hacker absolutely wants to know what a company runs for their backend, they will find out. Better yet they will find out what it is and run a cross reference on it to see what available issues exist on those platforms.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to risk data or servers to the threat of hacking.

This suggestion provides for individuals like myself to be able to assist the technical team rather than to just mope and complain that things are broken.

• Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    Let's go open source and then see hundreds of people working on their own shard for people to play for free. Sorry but it won't happen.
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    dannymacom wrote: »
    Jirki88 wrote: »

A full detailed discussion on closed source vs. open source should be a conversation for somewhere else imho.

That being said, if a hacker absolutely wants to know what a company runs for their backend, they will find out. Better yet they will find out what it is and run a cross reference on it to see what available issues exist on those platforms.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to risk data or servers to the threat of hacking.

This suggestion provides for individuals like myself to be able to assist the technical team rather than to just mope and complain that things are broken.

Well, I guess you'll have to pardon me. I've misplaced my pink optimist glasses. My view on the world, which I'm fairly sure anyone working with valuable stuff shares, is quite a bit more cynical. I don't see ZeniMax wanting to give out that info.

Regardless, if you think you can help, maybe you should contact ZeniMax technial team rather than, you know, posting in a forum where your post will sink like the Titanic?
  • dannymacom
    Guess I didn't realize that forums were built for complaining rather than for solutions.
    Edited by dannymacom on 19 April 2014 22:15
  • Hakuichi
    Hakuichi
    ✭✭✭
    Guess I didn't realize that forums were built for complaining rather than for solutions.

That is not a solution, that's madness.
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭

The forums are built for solutions to player-related stuff (and complaining, don't forget, alot of complaining, it's human nature). It's most certainly not a meeting place for the devs or a technical helpcenter.
  • Writer
    Writer
    ✭✭
    When WoW's source code was leaked, a bunch of private servers popped up, allowing people to play for free on those servers. This would result in a similar situation, as well as give the gold sellers and hackers a way in. It's not a solution by any shape.

If you think you can help, I would contact their tech team. It's not wise for it to be open source and available for all.
    Cyras - Ebonheart Dragonknight - Sanguine's Tester
    Artist | Crafter | Heavy RPer | PvE | Writer
    There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Ernest Hemingway
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    First off, I don't want to sound shrill or overly dramatic. I'm not an idealist with some make-up credentials on why I'm an export on MMOPG video games. I am however a back-end developer/system admin for a large corporate company.

Endless loading screens, failed login attempts, disconnects.

This isn't unusual for most MMOs when they launch but it is persistent with this game.

Idea

Open up the infrastructure for other professionals to review the work by open-sourcing the overall architecture. Perhaps other players that have credentials in big-data and high throughput systems would be able to assist?

Never going to happen. Thats like expecting an mmo company that uses a linux server setup to make a native copy of the game for linux users. Ie. Their is no profit for them
    Brave New World.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    Writer wrote: »
    When WoW's source code was leaked, a bunch of private servers popped up, allowing people to play for free on those servers. This would result in a similar situation, as well as give the gold sellers and hackers a way in. It's not a solution by any shape.

If you think you can help, I would contact their tech team. It's not wise for it to be open source and available for all.

Lol private servers for world of watercraft didnt pop up for that reason. I can assure you other methods were used to get packets etc..
    Brave New World.
  • Writer
    Writer
    ✭✭
    Yeah. I realise that I put my foot in my mouth there, lol.

I think that the "official" stance was that the WoW servers were reversed engineered. However, why make it easier for people to create a private server? It's still one of the worst ideas I seen here. :)
    Cyras - Ebonheart Dragonknight - Sanguine's Tester
    Artist | Crafter | Heavy RPer | PvE | Writer
    There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Ernest Hemingway
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    Writer wrote: »
    Yeah. I realise that I put my foot in my mouth there, lol.

I think that the "official" stance was that the WoW servers were reversed engineered. However, why make it easier for people to create a private server? It's still one of the worst ideas I seen here. :)

The only problem is, its a known fact private server a for this game have popped up and are constantly being shut down lol. Making the game open isn't a bad idea in some cases though I do agree for a game like this it would be a horrible idea for various reasons.
    Brave New World.
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh at the joke, or worry that he actually takes himself seriously enough to believe this would work.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
  • stefaan.de.wasch1b16_ESO
    What I take out of this is "Pop the hood... I'mma fix the engine"
    The statement "if you put enough monkeys behind enough typewriters... sooner or later one will produce the works of Shakespeare" has sadly been proven utterly wrong by the internet...
  • Sollyz
    Sollyz
    No thanks Jeff. Bad Idea.
    Date Started 30/03/2014

"Collapsing upon myself The light burned out so very Long ago So long ago It’s plain to see

So watch as I spiral down Collide and crash into the Broken world You’ve broken me" - Trivium Incineration: The Broken World

-I will embrace my death, will you embrace yours?-
  • Elencha
    Elencha
    ✭✭✭
    What I take out of this is "Pop the hood... I'mma fix the engine"
    This made me laugh so hard I woke up my puppy. Now he's whining. Your fault...

• Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nastassiya wrote: »
    Let's go open source and then see hundreds of people working on their own shard for people to play for free. Sorry but it won't happen.
    I'd play.
    it sure as *** would be more optimised and have bug squashed faster than what ZOS have been doing.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That being said, if a hacker absolutely wants to know what a company runs for their backend, they will find out.
    Yes, but opensource gamesl allows idiots who want to be hackers, or think they are hackers, muck about with a game. I think that people who want to learn how to put a game together benefit from opensource material. But so do idiots with too much time on their hands. Plus most Professionals would be too busy for analysis of the code, so you would only get amatuers (gifted or otherwise) and idiots looking at it.

PS. Not against opensource games persay, just against opensource games with my subscription details.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • dannymacom
    It's simplistic to assume that open-sourcing the ARCHITECTURE is the same as open-sourcing the application. I understand your sentiments but you there is a huge difference in looking at the tech-stack of your backend, which is foreseeably part of the problem. This is my suggestion. I did not say to open-source the application itself...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're in a forum... on the internet... what else did you think this place was for?