The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Scammed

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Easiest, & Safest route to traveling is through guild traders even though we all hate them, they're is no possible way to scam someone with it atm.

There can't be a more ironic typo than that :smiley: !

oh wait yeah I meant trading woops ha
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean that using a feature that Devs built into the game is risky?. And Z0$ warn you not to use a feature they coded into the game?.

Working as intended. Z0$ are incompetent, its that simple )
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I used the trade window, anytime you change something, it un-confirms for both players. Meaning if they put wax in, you put in gold and hit confirm, and they then removed the wax, it un-confirms your selection. And you have to hit confirm again to have it go through.

Did this somehow change?

If their timing is good enough, they can immediately remove the item, before you confirm. Usually this is accomplished with a macro.

This is good for the other 3 answers like this;

Doing this however you WILL see their items re-disappear. They have no way of knowing when to pull items (when you confirm). So just breathe a little wait a 10secs or so. You will see the scammer pull without you having confirmed or anything. At that point just play it safe and cancel. I really get the feeling that most of these scams work with the 'stress' of the scammed pushing people into flash-confirming. T a k e y o u r t i m e. play it safe

I've gotten scammed before in other mmos, its a disgusting feeling. I've yet to come even close to being scammed in eso - ive always felt the trading window was pretty good.
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭
    When I came back to the game I would trade face to face because I didnt have enough gold for the large trades but after reading all these post of people getting scammed I now COD luckily I didn't get scammed when I traded face to face or at least I don't think I got scammed.
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
    jxjx- dunmer dragon knight lvl 50
    sexiperson- breton templar lvl 50
    vextrax- nord nightblade lvl 29
    tehsorc- high elf sorc lvl 50
    Trying to get recognized for being the worst PvPer on xbox.
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the trade window automatically un-confirms the trade for you if the other party changed ANYTHING.

Just be extra careful, NEVER confirm the trade unless the other party has the proper stuff input into the trading window, and then make sure you click confirm only ONCE. From there, they can confirm the trade and finito. IF they change anything it will auto unconfirm for you. If however you double/triple confirm/click thinking lag, or you know.... anxious and all, well... if the other party sees you confirm with money before they even put stuff, you might run across less scrupulous people that will just profit from the occasion and confirm with nothing input on their side...

This.

And this:
    zaria wrote: »
    How do the system in ESO work?
    I put in my offering and press ok so my part grays out, the other part can add stuff and press ok to trade,
    If I'm last my second ok finalizes the trade.
    Obviously pretty easy to scam here.

As you say it should obviously been required that both verified after the window was locked, you could mouse over items to inspect and verify but not add or remove something without removing the lock.
    So first phase is adding offer, then lock then both had locked both then had to press "trade".
    It would make switching items impossible and would just require one extra click.
    Yes you could still scam on value

I'm sorry for the OP's terrible experience but I also believe if people could stop clicking automatically and hastily without really checking what's going on in the trade window and mind the system described above, there would be much less fraud happening.
    I had a few times when someone wanted to distract me and committed all possible techniques to get my stuff without paying but as long as he has not greyed out his window with the proper amount I simply do not confirm anything. From there every change in any of the windows will cancel all the confirmations so there's no way to scam.

Overall it seems to be a phenomenon here that players are rushing everyting. Slow down a bit, it'll pay off. Read the actual offer (so there'll be no more "ah, I thought it's the recipe not the item"-sort of mistakes), wait a few seconds, Tamriel will wait :)
    Again, sorry for the OP, I'm sure he did everything he could and fraud still might happen.

On the other hand I just quit COD-ing because that's a well lit highway to be fraudulent while I pay for the cost at the same time.
    Thread here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3885471#Comment_3885471
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I see people in zone chat selling their stuff and they say "face-to-face trade only". Instant red flag. I only COD.

Most of them are probably only saying that because they've been scammed using COD. There are currently two active threads on this, one about being scammed in manual trading and the other about being scammed in COD.

It just goes to show that what we really need is a proper trading system open to all, not one that is restricted to certain guild members with the only workarounds for everyone else being open to abuse as commonly reported in these threads.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I see people in zone chat selling their stuff and they say "face-to-face trade only". Instant red flag. I only COD.

Exactly. No idea why anyone would trade outside of COD unless it's giving someone something...honestly....not trolling.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 8 March 2017 17:50
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. No idea why anyone would trade outside of COD unless it's giving someone something...honestly....not trolling.

Well, COD costs money. It is a shame we basically have to buy insurance (either COD or Listing fee) to guarantee a smooth transaction.

I only ever had one problem with the trade window. Buddy gave me a nirn to make a helm for research, I gave it back and it vanished. It was a while ago (whenever nirn came out), and it's someone I still play with so I am 100% sure it was a bug, not a scam. ZOS was, how do you say, less than helpful at the time.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 8 March 2017 18:01
  • CheepsNSalsa
    CheepsNSalsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    The easiest fix for this might just be a second trade window. Like in RuneScape where after you click accept you're taken to another trade window. Trades can't be modified at the second trade window giving you a chance to check what you're trading before you accept for the final time.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Also have to make sure its the exact item in CoD too cause I had multiple occasions where I was trying to buy a high end motif, IE: Akaviri Chest, and someone sends, an Akaviri Boots which I already had way before, knowing full well they were trying to scam cause boots only cost 100k AP and Chest 500k AP.

Also for him being kind of a *** trying to scam me, I was gladly to return the CoD back to him so he wouldn't have to wait 3 days. I wasn't going to be one of those that sit on CoD till it returns doesn't seem to right as well, even if it is for a scammer.
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on 8 March 2017 18:17
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest fix for this might just be a second trade window. Like in RuneScape where after you click accept you're taken to another trade window. Trades can't be modified at the second trade window giving you a chance to check what you're trading before you accept for the final time.

This would work well.

A different game I played, the initiator would put down their offer and confirm. The recipient would review, and could either reject (kicking it back to the initiator to change the initial offer) or add their offer and confirm (passing it to the initiator to finalize). If the recipient approved the trade the initiator had one last chance to review and either approve (finalize the trade) or reject (kick it back to the recipient to change their side of the offer). Either side could make a blank offer, so gifting was still possible. Something like this would work here, too.

Anything would be an improvement, to be honest. The current system is best for gifting only.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a red flag. If the guy who gets your COD doesn't pay up, you will have to wait 1 *** month for it to expire and you to get your *** back. Face to face trade is the only way to go. OP is just a sucker and probably didnt even look at the trade right, he just locked in like a monkey and got scammed in the process.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smolt wrote: »
    So I tried to buy a bunch of wax from someone selling in zone in Craglorn... I'd buy 120 wax for 360k. Good deal right? Somehow he managed to instantly pull his wax out of the trade window and confirm, leaving me with nothing and taking my gold. Apparently the trade window is only for use between friends, played since beta and nothing like this ever happened to me. I submitted a ticket, got a robo response... replied and this is the response I got from a customer service rep.

"The player market in The Elder Scrolls Online is a "buyer beware" market, and we are unable to provide any compensation or reimbursement for a trade or mail scam that occurred in-game.

If you are playing on a console and wish to take further action, you may submit a griefing report to Sony Support if playing on the PlayStation 4 or report the abuse to Microsoft Support if on the Xbox One. Players on the Xbox One also have the option to submit a player review against a player’s reputation through their profile. Please visit either Sony or Microsoft’s support sites for more information on how to submit a report.

Best Regards,
    Elder Scrolls Support"

I replied again and got the same bs response. So, my message is of course that if you want to earn gold quickly in this game the easiest way is to scam people! Nothing will happen to you at all, and you get to keep your ill gotten gains! If someone gets mad, make sure tell them to submit a ticket for some sound advice about how stupid they were for being robbed, if they manage to get a human to paste a generic reply. Can we please make customer service great again?

Not only will Sony ban their account, they also can ban the console itself. So scammers beware., that is unless you plan on buying another PS4.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mail and COD only. You catch most scammers out before you even agree to the deal because a lot of them will refuse to deal via mail. That's a red flag. Some will deal via mail, however, they will then rely on you just accepting before checking. Always check what you're receiving because if you don't, you then have to shoulder some of that responsibility. Like leaving a shop without checking your change.

With housing, too many young kids around that obviously got told no from mummy and daddy about getting cash to buy housing. Because they're such spoilt little "must have it all now" ***, they steal from others.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on 8 March 2017 18:43
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also have to make sure its the exact item in CoD too cause I had multiple occasions where I was trying to buy a high end motif, IE: Akaviri Chest, and someone sends, an Akaviri Boots which I already had way before, knowing full well they were trying to scam cause boots only cost 100k AP and Chest 500k AP.

Also for him being kind of a *** trying to scam me, I was gladly to return the CoD back to him so he wouldn't have to wait 3 days. I wasn't going to be one of those that sit on CoD till it returns doesn't seem to right as well, even if it is for a scammer.

Used to be, the big ticket scam on this was CODing Citrine at Temper prices.
  • TrueGreenSmoker
    TrueGreenSmoker
    ✭✭✭
    Internet man can't trust people always COD never trade with randoms.

PS4 - NA - CP 859+
    #1 Magicka Sorc - AD - High Elf - Vampire - TrueGreen
    #2 Magicka DK - AD - Dark Elf - Vampire - Flamy Burnin Alot
    #3 Magicka Temp - AD - High Elf - Vampire - TrueGreen Temp
    #4 Magicka NB - AD - Breton - Vampire - Magic of the Night
    #5 Magicka Sorc - DC - High Elf - Vampire - High Old Elf
    #6 Stamina Sorc - EP - Orc - Normal - Original Herbalist
    #7 Stamina NB - AD - Redguard - Vampire - Gank and Blaze
    #8 Magicka DK - EP - Argonian - Vamp - Flamy-Tail

PS4 - EU - CP 249
    #1 Magicka Temp - DC - Breton - Normal - Mary Healer Jane
    #2 Magicka Sorc - DC High Elf - Normal - Baked Wizard of DC

Playing on PS4 NA
    media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdgl7fwlj61ro2d43.gif
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I tried to buy a bunch of wax from someone selling in zone in Craglorn... I'd buy 120 wax for 360k. Good deal right? Somehow he managed to instantly pull his wax out of the trade window and confirm, leaving me with nothing and taking my gold. Apparently the trade window is only for use between friends, played since beta and nothing like this ever happened to me. I submitted a ticket, got a robo response... replied and this is the response I got from a customer service rep.

"The player market in The Elder Scrolls Online is a "buyer beware" market, and we are unable to provide any compensation or reimbursement for a trade or mail scam that occurred in-game.

If you are playing on a console and wish to take further action, you may submit a griefing report to Sony Support if playing on the PlayStation 4 or report the abuse to Microsoft Support if on the Xbox One. Players on the Xbox One also have the option to submit a player review against a player’s reputation through their profile. Please visit either Sony or Microsoft’s support sites for more information on how to submit a report.

Best Regards,
    Elder Scrolls Support"

I replied again and got the same bs response. So, my message is of course that if you want to earn gold quickly in this game the easiest way is to scam people! Nothing will happen to you at all, and you get to keep your ill gotten gains! If someone gets mad, make sure tell them to submit a ticket for some sound advice about how stupid they were for being robbed, if they manage to get a human to paste a generic reply. Can we please make customer service great again?

Report that player, and call on your guild to do the same. BS like that is what deserves guild effort to remove such scumbags from ESO.
  • Nahtal
    Nahtal
    ✭✭✭
    Not happening to me, because i do not trade this way.

Get some proper trade guilds, that's my advice.
    Love to crind, to sell, to explore, to heal, and to have fun.
    Templar Breton vampire HEAL CP463 Lord Massimo 'fire is his friend'
    Templar Argonian QUAN CHI HEAL CP463: 'the light of friendly'
    Nightblade Breton Sjangsung DPS CP463 'does not take souls'
    Zizeng (new char) DPS/HEAL warden (not chinees char)
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭

It's not a red flag. If the guy who gets your COD doesn't pay up, you will have to wait 1 *** month for it to expire and you to get your *** back. Face to face trade is the only way to go. OP is just a sucker and probably didnt even look at the trade right, he just locked in like a monkey and got scammed in the process.

It's three days not a month. Played since beta, and I know how to use the trade window. I think this guy may relie on timing, macros idk. Maybe you'll run into the right player one day and get a demonstration! But I'm sure you are such a stud nobody could ever get the better of you... at least that's kind of what I thought till i got scammed lol
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Call them out in large hubs too so no one will buy their stuff. Some guy on PS4 EU last weekend trying to scam people with a sharp Spriggans dagger, that refused point blank to mail and COD. Then started to get all abusive telling me I was the little kid for not falling for his nonsense. I instantly blocked him, then told my guilds and everyone was calling him out in all the major hubs. Noticed him the next night doing the same and warned others too.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on 8 March 2017 18:50
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's three days not a month. Played since beta, and I know how to use the trade window. I think this guy may relie on timing, macros idk. Maybe you'll run into the right player one day and get a demonstration! But I'm sure you are such a stud nobody could ever get the better of you... at least that's kind of what I thought till i got scammed lol

Can't believe you're even entertaining that guy. There is always that one guy in these sort of threads.
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭
    In real life if someone charges my credit card incorrectly or fraudulently my card company will reimburse me and goes after the thief. ZOS failing in this regard is breaking my immersion. C'mon Zeni...
    Edited by Smolt on 8 March 2017 18:54
  • MNsnowtaTy
    MNsnowtaTy
    ✭✭✭
    I had a guy ask how much for a motif, and I had just bought one from him via COD mail and he had one other motif I didn't have so I offered to trade straight up for it and I'd come meet him wherever he was. He told me he sent his and to just send mine when I received his motif. Was doing a quest, nothing popped up, he started getting impatient and whispered to me if I had gotten it, I said no. Then after my quest I said I'd change zones, because usually that'll get it to pop up immediately, still nothing. Now he's getting mad thinking I'm screwing him over. So I try logging out and logging back in, then changing zones, still nothing, restart my system, still nothing. I'm getting messages now saying it better be in his mail at some point. Eventually by the end of the night he was getting off saying if I do get it send the other one to him or maybe he sent it to the wrong person.

I just had this happen last night, and while maybe it is just a complete accident or truly my mail wasn't loading no matter what I did to try and get it load I don't know. I'll check again tonight, but there's a strong possibility he was hoping I'd trust him and just mail mine right away, and I'd never have gotten his. Again could be a complete accident or could have been trying to scam me. I'm sticking to my ground though until I get his.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MNsnowtaTy wrote: »
    I had a guy ask how much for a motif, and I had just bought one from him via COD mail and he had one other motif I didn't have so I offered to trade straight up for it and I'd come meet him wherever he was. He told me he sent his and to just send mine when I received his motif. Was doing a quest, nothing popped up, he started getting impatient and whispered to me if I had gotten it, I said no. Then after my quest I said I'd change zones, because usually that'll get it to pop up immediately, still nothing. Now he's getting mad thinking I'm screwing him over. So I try logging out and logging back in, then changing zones, still nothing, restart my system, still nothing. I'm getting messages now saying it better be in his mail at some point. Eventually by the end of the night he was getting off saying if I do get it send the other one to him or maybe he sent it to the wrong person.

I just had this happen last night, and while maybe it is just a complete accident or truly my mail wasn't loading no matter what I did to try and get it load I don't know. I'll check again tonight, but there's a strong possibility he was hoping I'd trust him and just mail mine right away, and I'd never have gotten his. Again could be a complete accident or could have been trying to scam me. I'm sticking to my ground though until I get his.

The onus is on him to make sure he sends it to the correct person or if it has disappeared into thin air, to contact ZoS. Whether that other person is being genuine or not, I wouldn't go fretting over it. It's the other person that the issue lies with, not you
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on 8 March 2017 19:40
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they need to do is add a confirm prompt. Players put items into the windows and lock in their items. After items are locked in on both sides you confirm the trade being able to fully see both sides of it. If someone backs out before the final confirm, you go back to step 1.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I used the trade window, anytime you change something, it un-confirms for both players. Meaning if they put wax in, you put in gold and hit confirm, and they then removed the wax, it un-confirms your selection. And you have to hit confirm again to have it go through.

Did this somehow change?

If their timing is good enough, they can immediately remove the item, before you confirm. Usually this is accomplished with a macro.

This is good for the other 3 answers like this;

Doing this however you WILL see their items re-disappear. They have no way of knowing when to pull items (when you confirm). So just breathe a little wait a 10secs or so. You will see the scammer pull without you having confirmed or anything. At that point just play it safe and cancel. I really get the feeling that most of these scams work with the 'stress' of the scammed pushing people into flash-confirming. T a k e y o u r t i m e. play it safe

I've gotten scammed before in other mmos, its a disgusting feeling. I've yet to come even close to being scammed in eso - ive always felt the trading window was pretty good.

Couldn't have said it better. I use face-to-face and COD both and haven't run into any issue with either system. There is a separate issue with the trade window that can make it look like you've been scammed (or in my case that I was the scammer). If the person who is receiving the item has a full inventory the trade will still go through, the seller will get the gold, but the buyer will not get the item.

I'm not sure if it has been fixed since then but this happened to me around the time of the Witch's Festival. Luckily I tend to hang around after a trade, just in case, and was able to give the guy the item he had already paid me for.

ETA: Thinking back there were two items I was selling and he got one item, and I definitely got all the gold. It was just the second item that he didn't get because his inventory had filled up. I wonder if the trade would have failed on both sides if it was just one item, or if we were trading items with no gold involved?
    Edited by Number_51 on 8 March 2017 20:24
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So he can scam someone else immediately without waiting 3 days?
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am lucky to not have come across these scumbags in this game OP.

I usually don't even COD I send the items and just wait for the mail with the gold.

One time there was HUGE mail lag in Craglorn...

Both of us didn't get our mails for over an hour...

Very stressful :smile:

I am sorry this happened to you mate.

Perhaps it's easier to buy stuff like that in stacks from the guild traders? Might be a little more expensive but at least it's safe

Curious what platform you were on? Was it Xbox or PC and if PC NA or EU?
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all about reputation. If you want a bad one go ahead and try to scam. I'd hate to be called out as a scammer.
  • Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, sadly thieves and robbers, be it trade, guildbank, taking money for WW/Vamp bites have been a prominent part of the game since launch. And like CS said, in the ToS it's entirely up to the players to monitor their trades. Suppose one can say it's "Roleplaying" a thief or swindler (Pacrooti?!).
    Posting more tickets to CS won't do you anything unless the trades were done using hack programs (not seen that before yet and wouldn't work on consoles anyway). Many have tried with even greater losses and failed, ZoS doesn't care. Suppose that's the downfall of free market. The rich get richer by manipulating the market, thieves and swindlers everywhere, scammers running rampant.
    I've personally never been scammed as I am very careful how I deal with my trades (only do it via guildstores or CoD) and if the person refuses to do CoD - I will decline the trade offer as it seems fishy. Some people might argue it's because of the fee, but i rather put up with a fee than get scammed, and any respectable trader will agree. And if they have to CoD it to me, I just ask to include the fee in the total.
    Edited by Egonieser on 9 March 2017 09:39
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU