The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why are Champion Points Better than Veteran Ranks?

• AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can only take the guy from ZOS at his word that revenue is up substantially since b2p switch. Anecdotal evidence is the thread where people are spending upwards of $1000 a year on this game tho kinda tells me they are doing ok.

Yeah... but to pay a single developer a year's salary, you need 50 people paying that amount of money. (Disclaimer, I'm British and don't know what a reasonable US salary is).

PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AdamBourke wrote: »

I can only take the guy from ZOS at his word that revenue is up substantially since b2p switch. Anecdotal evidence is the thread where people are spending upwards of $1000 a year on this game tho kinda tells me they are doing ok.

Yeah... but to pay a single developer a year's salary, you need 50 people paying that amount of money. (Disclaimer, I'm British and don't know what a reasonable US salary is).

They have sold 100,000 copies of the game just last month across all platforms. Almost 3 million on console since the b2p switch and over 800,000 on PC since the b2p switch.
    Options
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair the "grind" from VR1 - VR16 isn't actually that intolerable anymore it's actually quite manageable.

850k exp / VR now.

All you will have henceforth are a bunch of noobs who have no idea how to play their class and probably use the wrong skills on a permanent basis :smile:
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
    Options
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    To be fair the "grind" from VR1 - VR16 isn't actually that intolerable anymore it's actually quite manageable.

850k exp / VR now.

All you will have henceforth are a bunch of noobs who have no idea how to play their class and probably use the wrong skills on a permanent basis :smile:

LoL. Wouldn't have it any other way.

#irefusetol2p
    Options
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

850k exp / VR now.

amen.

when it was max level, v10 was a serious grind.
    Options
  • Twilix01
    Twilix01
    ✭✭✭
    They both have their downsides. The worst part though, is having gear linked with a rank. Whether that gear cap is a VR limitation or a CP limitiation.

That allows ZOS to steal all of our gear whenever they want by simply raising the cap. Then they can lock the new tier of gear behind a DLC paywall, and make us grind XP and materials to earn it all back. They could even increase the cost of max level gear 10 times to make it take even longer. Some say they have already done this. Others say they will do it again.

They do need to make money correct? Or did you think this was some kind of charity thing?

Oh the old capitalism defense. Such a stop-thought argument. There are sundry ways of making money. There are business models where you pay for access to content, and you get enjoyment.

Buy game, play game, enjoy game. Done. Those were the days.

Now, you buy a piece of the game, get frustrated by the games limitations, then pay to have those frustrations and limitations slowly removed.

Just because its a business model, doesn't mean its a good one, or even an effective one. The B2P transition happened a long time ago. ZOS could have made a fortune on the crown store selling race changes, more costumes, costume making kits, transmorg, etc. But they didn't.

Don't confuse poor choices with smart business choices. I don';t want to have to constantly regrind to get my character back to where it was. I didn;t have to with the old business model. The Endgame was static but at least it was consistent and there were three trials, one 4person arena, and pvp. Now there is a ton of "outdated" endgame content. This game was supposed to be different.

So is this game supposed to be like other MMOs or not? Does it shift from one to another depending on what ZOS policy you are currently defending?

ZOS seems to be making plenty of money. Im not defending anything by the way. Im telling you facts you dont seem to understand. Like first and foremost this is a business designed to make a profit. Its not anything else. As soon as you accept they only care about the customer so much as how can they get money from you then you wont be disappointed. You only assume it was a poor business choice. Id like to know how you know they didnt make a fortune selling those $20 mounts and all the other stuff plus the box sales and the people who pay for a sub.

Last interview ZOS stated revenue was up "substantially" from before b2p.

Swagger literally just gave you other reasons on how they could make a ton more money utilizing a better cash shop instead of locking the meat of the game behind paywalls.

If they're hurting for money it's because their egos got in the way of making a great game.

ZOS is not hurting for money lol. Where do you guys get this idea? What part of revenue is substantially higher didnt you understand?

"If"

Where did you see their revenue?

And one can be presumptuous based on how they are more geared towards DLC releases than quality of life changes.

Anyone remember when people were practically screaming at ZOS over the long gap during console release where no content was released? This was before Imperial City launched. I take the quarterly DLC plan as a way of making up for that and ensuring that they don't catch flak for "not developing more content" anytime soon.
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

850k exp / VR now.

When I levelled up my first character it was 4 million XP per VR rank. I left Cadwell's Gold at VR9.75.

I'm currently levelling an alt. Halfway through Cadwell's Gold, I'm already at VR12.5 - I'll probably reach VR16 by the end of Cadwell's without any grinding.

The real grind for a noob is the CP grind - catching up to 501 before the next increase? That's some grinding!
    Options
  • Twilix01
    Twilix01
    ✭✭✭

850k exp / VR now.

When I levelled up my first character it was 4 million XP per VR rank. I left Cadwell's Gold at VR9.75.

I'm currently levelling an alt. Halfway through Cadwell's Gold, I'm already at VR12.5 - I'll probably reach VR16 by the end of Cadwell's without any grinding.

The real grind for a noob is the CP grind - catching up to 501 before the next increase? That's some grinding!

Some people just really really hate questing and don't want to feel "forced" to do silver/gold, they hate having to do 1-50 enough. So they choose to grind instead, which they end up complaining about later. I don't get it either.
    Options
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good thing I'm not a min/maxxer then.
    CP's expand your toon in different ways. They allow for weapon, armour, stat and ability buffs to suit Your specific play style.

Do you really think CPs bring any significant variety to builds? Stamina and magicka builds will dump their points in their respective damage nodes, crit damage nodes, resource cost reduction nodes and resource regen nodes. Other CP nodes dont even come close in usefulness. This might as well have been baked into vet progression and there wouldnt be much difference.

This is true of any minmaxer, but for those that aren't, it opens up synergies with particular items and play styles.
    For some reason I am focused on making my 2H HA sorc into a viable end game tank. VR's will not let me achieve this. CP's will allow me to improve the weakest areas of this concept and (hopefully) will change it from average dps into the Iron Teacup.

Im curious. How are you goint to allocate your points? I have a feeling you will still avoid the nodes that min-maxers avoid. Nodes that are sub par for any purpose. And theres quite a few of them. I mean who would put points in staff expert or... tenacity?
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    As many people of mentioned, it offers more granular progression and they are achieved account wide... but MOSTLY they are better because you earn them faster so there is a perception of faster progression.

I personally believe that the complete removal of veteran ranks and the linking of skill points and gear to champion points will end up being the worst mistake ESO ever makes.... time will tell.

I agree it makes no sense the way they are doing it. Oh well at least if I am not happy I can just cancel my sub. For free it prob wont be so bad lol.

I personally hope that they "fix" it later... but man... it'll be more complicated then removing Vet Ranks and that's taken them like what.. a year and a half since they fist announced they announced they were doing it.

Makes me kind of wonder why they waited this long if they are using this simple solution. Seems like if they wanted to do this route it could have been done before console release.

I don't think it WAS a simple fix. Every vet item and enemy had to be edited. And I doubt anyone was dedicated to the changes. Probably worked on it a couple hours a week.... and then they probably had to let their testers go through every corner of the game to make sure they didn't miss anything. All of this is assumption of course.
    Edited by Gidorick on 23 March 2016 19:49
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As many people of mentioned, it offers more granular progression and they are achieved account wide... but MOSTLY they are better because you earn them faster so there is a perception of faster progression.

I personally believe that the complete removal of veteran ranks and the linking of skill points and gear to champion points will end up being the worst mistake ESO ever makes.... time will tell.

I agree it makes no sense the way they are doing it. Oh well at least if I am not happy I can just cancel my sub. For free it prob wont be so bad lol.

I personally hope that they "fix" it later... but man... it'll be more complicated then removing Vet Ranks and that's taken them like what.. a year and a half since they fist announced they announced they were doing it.

Makes me kind of wonder why they waited this long if they are using this simple solution. Seems like if they wanted to do this route it could have been done before console release.

I don't think it WAS a simple fix. Every vet item and enemy had to be edited. And I doubt anyone was dedicated to the changes. Probably worked on it a couple hours a week.... and then they probably had to let their testers go through every corner of the game to make sure they didn't miss anything. All of this is assumption of course.

I would hope they could change stuff like that without editing every single piece of gear. I could be wrong tho if correct thats a LOT of work hehe.
    Options