The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Running while hidden: sneak is now broken

Ageless
Ageless
✭✭✭
My Ongezouten Vis toon is wearing the Night Silence's armor, which allows with 5 items "Ignore movement speed penalty while sneaking".
Over the past couple of patches I'd already seen that when I sneak (showing Hidden) at normal (walking) speed and I drop down a ledge or embankment, that my toon will start to run while showing Hidden.
Now since patch 2.0.8 my toon will constantly run (sprint more like?) while trying to sneak at speed. As an effect NPCs now see me (detected) when I 'sneak' through their camps.

hidden.jpg
This is the normal way to sit and sneak around.

but
running1.jpg
this and
running2.jpg
this is what I see.

So there is no way anymore for me to sneak around at walking speed. My toon is always sprinting around while sneaking.

Edit: Still doing it even after a full exit of the game and relog.
Edited by Ageless on May 11, 2015 4:15PM
Jord.

As I burn down and murder, I know that God forgives.
'Spite all the things I've done my soul yet forever lives.
And all those caught in the shadow of my wings have cause to fear.
I swear on all I've done, no evil shall linger here.

• Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    I find that when I take off 3 parts of the Night's Silence armor, that I can sneak around in the normal sneak manner.
    Put them back on and for a moment it's fixed. Then after I get up, and go back into sneak mode, it's broken again.

realsneak.jpg
    not_wearing.jpg

I also find that when I sneak through low water, that my toon has the sneak animation. Leave the water and it's back to running.

So it seems to be a bug with the Night's Silence armor all of a sudden.
    Jord.

• CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its how the game handles animations. You move at normal speed when sneaking so the game plays a different animation, it would look odd if you were still crouched down but shuffling your feet super fast if you had that speed buff.
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, but then in the past (yesterday) it worked in the normal way. I would sneak at normal walking speed, which is the buff that that armor does. The same speed one has when using the run button on normal sneak, when one doesn't have the armor.

That I now cannot sneak at all with this armor on is a total bummer for me.
    Edited by Ageless on May 11, 2015 5:43PM
    Jord.

• Sardoni
    Sardoni
    I guess I've grown accustomed to sneak running. Concealed weapon (Nightblade morph from Veiled Strike) + Vampire sneak speed passive. I nearly sprint in stealth and boy has that spoiled me! =)
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sardoni wrote: »
    I guess I've grown accustomed to sneak running. Concealed weapon (Nightblade morph from Veiled Strike) + Vampire sneak speed passive. I nearly sprint in stealth and boy has that spoiled me! =)

I miss when that stacked with nights silence..... Turbo stealth!
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Dragsooth
    Dragsooth
    ✭✭
    This also happens with no speed buffs other than the Darkstalker passive in vampire. It's so annoying and ugly :c
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animations playing correctly is kinda important for the feel of the game, bring back sneak animation (crouched) no matter the sneak speed.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it doesn't seem to work well at all now. My V14 vampire only has two pieces of Night's Silence and she can't sneak at all if I use sprint like before. Everyone and every thing sees her. The "new sneak" animation is horrible. We are not sneaking. Instead we are running like we are in water or something..ugh...

My NB has two pieces of Night's Silence and her sneak animation is normal so this "new animation" seem to be tied to vampires. My NB is a WW. I have a V11 vampire that doesn't wear Night's Silence and her sneak is the new odd one so yeah tied to vamps. Totally hate this animation...blah...
    Edited by Seravi on May 12, 2015 9:43AM
  • Katomatic
    Katomatic
    Soul Shriven
    With five Night's Silence equipped, really enjoyed the speedy sneak the animation was, IMO, funny at first but I liked it. Now when I go to sneak and move, no longer in sneak position but stand and run, Hidden is still showing but just do not feel the sneak like before. I would like to know the motivation for this change. Also, am not vamp or ww.
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    Katomatic wrote: »
    Now when I go to sneak and move, no longer in sneak position but stand and run, Hidden is still showing but just do not feel the sneak like before.
    It's not working as sneak or hidden either. Everyone at the Hinault farm in Rivenspire sees me running 'hidden'. Yesterday I was in the Crestshade Mine which is filled to the brims with trolls. Every troll I had to fight, couldn't sneak past any of them anymore. Plus the 'run while sneak' has the sound of feet thumping on the ground. More thump than just walking does. More thump it also seems as running has.

The problem here is also that the whole of sneak is now broken, if I want to sneak I have to take off 3 parts of my Night's Silence armor, or wear 3 parts of a different armor. What's the use of that? It also breaks the buff of the Night's Silence 5 part armor: sneak at normal walking pace without additional stamina use.
    Jord.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me this is only effecting my vamps. My V11 does not wear Night's Silence and her sneak is now a run and no matter what she is detected. My V14 DK does not wear Night's Silence and has the same sneak issues. My NB wears Night's Silence and her sneak is fine and normal. Depending on what weapon she is using she has four pieces on the DW bar and three on her bow bar. My Templar wears Night's Silence and her sneak is normal.
    Edited by Seravi on May 13, 2015 10:16AM
  • Al'Odin
    Al'Odin
    ✭✭
    I can't really add to the discussion, other than say I am experiencing the same problems as indicated above.

Full 5 piece set of Nights Silence and I lose the sneak animation, run as normal with the sound of steps??

Has it been reported as a /bug ?
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    Al'Odin wrote: »
    Has it been reported as a /bug ?
    I reported it in-game yes, with a link to this thread (for the images).
    Jord.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a test. I cured my V11 vampire and now her sneak is normal. So out of four characters, two that wear Night's Silence and two that do not, my V14 vamp is the only one with the weird run/sneak now and she does not wear Night's Silence armor or have any weapons that are Night's Silence. Odd bug indeed.....
  • LadyShauna
    LadyShauna
    ✭✭✭
    The day before the patch my vampire char could crouch and sneak, the day of the patch, she runs while sneaking. No other buffs, only Dark Stalker from vampirism. Weird.
    Lady Shauna - Breton/Sorcerer/DPS-Healer/Vampire/DC/
    Lady Luna Lockheart - Breton/Templar/Healer/Human/DC/
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I complained about this thing my self in a thread. I even made a video showing what I was talking about. Sneaking is all fu???? up now! >.< Running is the complete opposite of sneaking! Why dont they stop screwing with things that are just fine and focus on things that actually NEED to be done? >.< I suppose it could be a glitch and was not intended. Lets hope they fix this horrible mistake.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/170303/sneaking-screwed-up-since-update/p1
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only seems to be happening to my one vamp. I have sets on other characters that some say is the reason for the weird animation now but they sneak normal, aka the old way not running. My vamp however does not wear any sets and she can only "sneak" like she is running in water. I had another vamp that did the same thing and cured her and now her sneak is normal. I do hope they fix this because you can't really sneak by anything now with this new animation. I read in some other threads it was to stop the fast sneak of the vampires as some were complaining about it in PVP. Not sure if that is true or not. Whatever they did it needs to be changed back for sure.
This discussion has been closed.