The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

1.6 Armor Mitigation Formula

evedgebah
evedgebah
✭✭✭
Basic Formula: ( ARMOR - ARMOR ÷ 50 ) ÷ 630* = Mitigation %
* 630 is for VR14, That's level 49+14V
Mammoth hit	2336	2203	2135	1612	1425
RESIST		0	3674	5599	19941	25061
Subtraction	0	73.4	111.9	398.8	501.2
BASE Damage	2336	2336	2336	2336	2336
Cal Mit %	1	0.94...	0.91...	0.68... 0.61...
Actual M%	1	0.94...	0.91...	0.69...	0.61...
Calc Dam	2336	2202	2132	1611	1425

Basic cap is still 50% mitigation before blocking/set bonuses/skills/etc. That's roughly 32,250 Armor/Spell Resist.

The Advanced Formula, I have not calculated yet, but requires Weakness/Resistance to be factored in.
Edited by evedgebah on February 6, 2015 5:48PM
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the work
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    (49+vr14=63) * 10 = 630
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's say I pop DK corrosive armor (100% armor pen) and then I use a major fracture ability while hitting with a sword having the legendary 15% penetration and the armor pen enchant...

_ Will I hit for more than the tooltip then with "bonus" damage ? (in your example more than 2336)
    _ Is my target getting "vulnerable" or something ?

Someone knows ?
    Can you tell me @evedgebah
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    EnOeZ wrote: »
    Let's say I pop DK corrosive armor (100% armor pen) and then I use a major fracture ability while hitting with a sword having the legendary 15% penetration and the armor pen enchant...

_ Will I hit for more than the tooltip then with "bonus" damage ? (in your example more than 2336)
    _ Is my target getting "vulnerable" or something ?

Someone knows ?
    Can you tell me @evedgebah

If "armor" can drop below zero, I assume that yes according to your formula getting -15.56% mitigation with -10000 armor.
    Does someone knows if it translates in +15.56% damage ?
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    Accordance ng to my cyrodiil testing, armor/spell penetration does not result in a multiplier to damage. You'll just do the pure tooltip value.
  • DiktaHasi
    DiktaHasi
    ✭✭
    First: Reading this i could not stand to do some further math stuff...so without the possibility to test things on pts right now (im at uni.) here we go with some pure theorycrafting things on weapons :smiley:
    Also no TL/DR because of cool math stuff :wink:

My interest was the difference of using swords vs maces because swords enhance dmg done while maces reduce armor.
    so lets introduce some variables: Let
    -D be the damage we do,
    -A be the armor value of the opponent,
    -M(A) the mitigation as a function of armor and
    -H(D,A) the hit the opponent actual receives.

Then using (and simplifying) ur mitigation formula above we get
    M(A)=0.98A/630 and H(D,A)=D(1-H(A)/100).

Now we assume using a 2H Sword vs a 2H Mace. Passive bonuses are 5% more dmg (1.05S) vs 20% less armor (0.8A). Question is when to use Mace over Sword, in math
    H(1.05S,A)<H(S,0.8A).
    Solving leads to A>12857, which means that we are hitting harder with a mace if the enemy has more then 12857 armor. If I remember things correctly this is about a full set (7/7) of medium armor.

But what happens when we are using sharpened weapons? ...Easy ;)
    Again, if I remember things correctly, Sharpened reduces armor by 16%. Assuming that Sharpened 16% and Mace 20% Passive are additive this leads to the following inequality:
    H(1.05S,0.84A)<H(S,0.64A).
    Solving this leads then to A>13282>12857 which means that the opponent has to wear even more armor to make mace usefull (although not that much more).

As Major Fracture and Major Ward are additive Mali or Boni to ur base armor value A, considering these is easy. Just add the amount of Major Fracture debuff to above values or reduce it for the value of Major Ward buff. Furthermore they should cancel each other out, if both are active.

So here u have some math stuff to think about. We math guys are not the ones to give suggestions though. To make ur mind if u want to use Mace or Sword is now up to u ;)

If u have further suggestions or a more detailed formula, pls always share and feel free to comment. I would also like to know, if someone, with more time for testing then myself, can verify these results.
    Edited by DiktaHasi on April 14, 2015 12:29AM
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure about these numbers? I see people with 40k spell resist, and they have no sign of it being hardcapped.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no hardcap on the amount of spell resist you can get, just the amount of mitigation you can get out of it (50%).

I don't think I've seen anyone test whether going over 32,500 gives you a buffer against spell/armor penetration. Ditto on whether it works against armor/sp reducing effects, although for the latter I imagine it would
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no hardcap on the amount of spell resist you can get, just the amount of mitigation you can get out of it (50%).

I don't think I've seen anyone test whether going over 32,500 gives you a buffer against spell/armor penetration. Ditto on whether it works against armor/sp reducing effects, although for the latter I imagine it would

Okay, I thought there would be a cap for the amount of resist you can get as well. I'll ask those guys with the high spell resist to validate it.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    The mitigation is capped. That's what I meant by hardcap. I believe the value is 32,500 resist for 50% mitigation.
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So would it be possible to take 0 damage with the champion passives that reduce DoT and elemental/magical/physical damage, blocking, blade cloak, the PvP damage reduction buff, the Heavy armor EP/DC/AD set?
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone answer this :(
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. Ingested 3600 mitigation with 40,000 armor/SR and still took damage from everything that touched me, even level 10 mobs.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    I am lately considering that you can go into NEGATIVE value of armor of PvE Bosses for example, any thoughts?

Sorry for the necromancy, kinda :D
    Edited by Alcast on June 29, 2015 9:37AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    Possible, in my opinion. It requires raw reduction values going past the armor level of the target (not % reduction). It would be consistent with some of my testing.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes it has been tested and is true for both. I have posted mentioning that before a number of times in threads about nirn honed and other mitigation discussions =).
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    evedgebah wrote: »
    Possible, in my opinion. It requires raw reduction values going past the armor level of the target (not % reduction). It would be consistent with some of my testing.

It won't drop below 0 armor or spell resist ever. I tested this awhile back dual logged =).
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well there we have it then.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So would it be possible to take 0 damage with the champion passives that reduce DoT and elemental/magical/physical damage, blocking, blade cloak, the PvP damage reduction buff, the Heavy armor EP/DC/AD set?
    No. Because all resistance-bonuses are calculated separately - one after another. They don't sum up, therefore they will never give 100% resistance total.

<3
    Edited by F7sus4 on July 5, 2015 10:14AM