The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Let's just say it: Friendly Caltrops negate siege damage

• Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fatalyis wrote: »
    Censorious wrote: »
    Where were you during the Middle Ages?

Oil pots have always been used to defend from above, for very obvious reasons.
    The fact that it's difficult to make a game where damage affects people properly doesn't negate the fact that it's highly unrealistic.
    Some would say 'immersion breaking' (there - I've said it)

If you start making distinctions about what skills are 'meant' to do and how much damage they are 'meant' to produce you really need to consider more carefully what the game is supposed to represent.

Highly unrealistic? Like being able to go invisible...summon daedra...use magic?

Sounds legit...

Or carry a dozen trebuchets in your pocket. :)

The issue is that this breaks the balance against zergs imposed by siege weapons. It should be fixed ASAP... Even if the temp fix is to disable caltrops.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Mends_from_Shadows
    I bet ZOS takes 3 weeks to fix this just like they did with bat swarm and every other game-breaking pvp bug.

Already going on 3 days of this happening w/ no mention of it by ZOS.
    Cyrodiil Issues as of 6/3/2014
    - Massive Lag since Craglorn patch.(Still bad lag on "Laggajack" NA and some other campaigns.)
    - Forward Camps and other Siege bugging out frequently
    - Caltrops granting Immunity to Siege Weapon Damage
    - Massive Faction Imbalances in Most Campaigns / Several Dead Campaigns
    - Mercenary Mage Spam (sometimes causing them to go invulnerable)
    - Players exploiting Keeps/Scrolls through DK Chain Pulls to go around defenses

Yay Zenimax is doing things.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We can confirm there is currently a bug with Caltrops, as some of you have called out. We have a fix for it that will go live shortly after the Craglorn patch.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom:

That's waaaaaaay too long. Please disable the Caltrops skill from being used in Cyrodiil until you can permanently resolve this. Otherwise there's no reason to enter the zone until it's patched.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can confirm there is currently a bug with Caltrops, as some of you have called out. We have a fix for it that will go live shortly after the Craglorn patch.

As someone who has watched multiple siege defenses fail because of this bug, I'd ask that you disable caltrops in the meantime. Another 2 weeks (?) Of this will reward those using this exploit.

Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Shadrail
    Shadrail
    Well I guess we all get to PVE grind for the next few weeks :smile:
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a happier caltrop note... on NA Wabbajack this weekend we discovered that dropping our caltrops on enemy oilpots, such as the ones people use inside resource towers to defend, prevents the enemy from using them. No more having to destroy the towers anymore or try to rush in quickly and die! :D
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on May 20, 2014 5:02PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ZOE answer is just classic they have a fix but, ah we aint going to put it in for a couple weeks

Classic

Of course how long have they know that everything except sorc and DK passives dont work as intended. you were expecting a fix?
    Edited by Arreyanne on May 20, 2014 5:03PM
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KoooZ wrote: »
    kewl wrote: »
    1. Use Caltrops
    2. Stand in Caltrops field
    3. Damage from siege weapons = 0

Pretty much. It's disgusting.

I even tried this:

Enemy throws caltrops down on themselves
    I throw caltrops on enemies caltrops.
    They take damage from my caltrops, but not my siege weapons.

Yo dawg, I heard you liked caltrops.
    So I put caltrops in your caltrops to see if they caltrops

@KoooZ Couldn't help myself.

i.imgur.com/ui0dmkt.png

ui0dmkt.png
    Edited by kewl on May 21, 2014 6:25PM
  • ErykGrimm
    ErykGrimm
    ✭✭✭

I was looking forward to PvP tonight, but if zenimax can't be bothered to address glaring issues that can be fixed very easily, (i.e. disable caltrops until a real fix is implemented) I cant be bothered to log in period . I recommend that you pass it on to your superiors that your paying customers would appreciate prompt action. A quick response to the community on this matter would do a lot to repair some of the PR damage that has already been done. It is unwise to forget who it is that ultimately signs your pay checks.
  • slayer7800

Unless the Craglorn patch is tomorrow, and this patch is the following day, this is an unacceptable timeframe as it is being exploited in pretty much every keep siege now.

If the people running the show there don't understand this, I don't know what to say. I understand the fix can take time. So disable caltrops until a fix is in. That should be doable.
  • Losian
    Losian
    , but they exploited the hell out of game mechanics to make it a slow process

@ZOS_BrianWheeler‌
    To be clear, this is not a "game mechanic." It's an incredibly obvious exploit. A cheat. A bug being taken advantage of. Don't pretend like it's some clever use of a "mechanic." Mechanics are things added intentionally to be taken advantage of; we have game mechanics because those are the things that make up our games.

It's pretty utterly apparent to anyone with even a percentage of a brain that the developers did not intend for people to PvP by standing on burning oil with impunity because there are also spikes on it. It's an *exploit*, and those involved should have been reported asap. It highlights the problem with online games, especially the competitive aspects, these days.. Everyone just acts like a toddler who wants to win, not to play fair and have fun.
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is an exploit and no amount of obfuscation by other players will make it anything but.
  • Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    slayer7800 wrote: »
    Unless the Craglorn patch is tomorrow, and this patch is the following day, this is an unacceptable timeframe as it is being exploited in pretty much every keep siege now.

Before we got the official response there was a great deal of uncertainly whether this might be intended behaviour for the skill. Now that it's obvious that it's a bug, you can expect 99.9% of players to stop using caltrops altogether.

• Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Before we got the official response there was a great deal of uncertainly whether this might be intended behaviour for the skill.

HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Zintair
    Zintair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before we got the official response there was a great deal of uncertainly whether this might be intended behaviour for the skill.

HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Now that it's obvious that it's a bug, you can expect 99.9% of players to stop using caltrops altogether."

I personally found this part the funnier of the two lolol.
    Edited by Zintair on May 20, 2014 6:13PM
    Vokundein
    Zintair aka Primetime - VR14 - Guild Leader and PvP Dept Leader

www.Legend-Gaming.net
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭

Before we got the official response there was a great deal of uncertainly whether this might be intended behaviour for the skill. Now that it's obvious that it's a bug, you can expect 99.9% of players to stop using caltrops altogether.

You're kidding right?
  • Infraction
    Infraction
    ✭✭✭

You win the most epic post of the day sir. You even accomplished this with no need of a gif to do it.

You sincerely are the best!
    Edited by Infraction on May 20, 2014 6:22PM
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Is craglorn on friday???. To be quite frank Zenimax has shown itself to be as slow with content and fixes as Bioware was with SWTOR. That went F2p seems this game is destined that way to. Seems a better idea is to cancel and wait till it does then decide if its still worth playing.
  • galiumb16_ESO
    galiumb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Wow. This is wrong on so many levels I am at a loss for how to comment without being insulting.
  • JHenry
    JHenry
    ✭✭
    I've already informed Devs about this 3 days ago (5/17/14) with the ticketing system. It should have been a hotfix because 2 weeks of dirty PvP (or no significant PvP) is too long!
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

Just to chime in on what others have already said, that's not really an acceptable time frame.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, even if that means disabling Caltrops all together until you have a permanent fix.

I'm going to assume that this is a joke. This HAS to be a joke. Please?
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    When does the calgron patch will be released - really 2 weeks ???

Hopefully not and it will released this week.

This needs a hotfix god damn.

Cyrodiil campaigns will change more and more into ghost campaigns.

Seriously after the Vampires and now Caltrop spam my motivation for Cyrodiil has an "all time high" ...^^

Edited by moXrox on May 20, 2014 7:40PM
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • Zintair
    Zintair
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think people are being a bit outrageous regarding the overall effects on PvP.

Half of the people screaming bloody murder about this are the same momos who run to the gates to die to oil in the first place.

I am not saying this doesn't need a fix ASAP. Just it's a little ridiculous how overdramatic people can be.

All that being said what is so difficult that this cannot be hotfixed in a day or so? Seems a bit unjustified that you "have a fix" but cannot implement it until after Craglorn.

That really doesn't make sense to anyone with more than 2 brain cells. It is a little bit insulting actually.

This shouldn't take more than a 2-3 days to fix and test.
    Vokundein
    Zintair aka Primetime - VR14 - Guild Leader and PvP Dept Leader

www.Legend-Gaming.net
  • Kaskako
    Kaskako
    ✭✭
    Fix after the craglorn... thats just ludicrous.

It's one thing after another with this game, really, it's impossible to defend it anymore.

Things like this should be fixed or dealt with within 24 hours. Just like the vampire situation should have been, instead of weeks after people started exploiting it.

In case the whole architecture of Cyrodiil with most of the campaigns being dead while other campaigns suffer lag issues and queues weren't enough, we have to deal with game breaking abilities.
  • rfpalmerb16_ESO
    rfpalmerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

A smart and wise GM would log into the games and broadcast that this is an exploit and people found exploiting it will receive a 7 day suspension.... then follow that up with a few bans. You have to ACTIVELY police this type of crap or you loose your game -- people will be less likely to quit in disgust and frustration if the see you are trying to do something right-away rather than wait.

Its much the same as having a police force that doesn't bother to try to stop crime in progress but wait and investigate after the fact and make arrests etc.

victim: "911! Help! I'm being robbed. I need help now"
    911: "Thank you for calling. The Police have decided that its too much work to actively police the community and try to stop crimes in progress. Please remember what is being stolen and get a good look at the criminals and some police will be by next Thursday to take your statement."
    victim: "I think they are going to kill me! You have to help!"
    911: "We are sorry but if its that dangerous our liability coverage wont allow our officers to go to that environment. If you are about to die, can someone else then get a look at them and tell the police what they look like next Thursday? Do you think they would let you take their picture before they kill you? It would make our investigation much easier."
    Edited by rfpalmerb16_ESO on May 20, 2014 8:21PM
    Round peg? Square hole? Not a problem with a big enough hammer.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Zintair‌

People exaggerate everything. Its the nature of the beast. Doesn't help that its been proven to be the only way to get ZOS to listen to anything.

I do agree that its not the end of the world. I played Cyrodiil for several hours yesterday and had a great time, even with this bug.

But it is making it really tough to defend objectives, especially with fewer people. Rams are suddenly viable again (in fact preferred strategy).

The only way to stop people from getting into your keep now is pretty much AoE bombing, which isn't going to work if you're way out numbered or the group you're fighting has any idea what they're doing.

Just feels like keeps are flipping to easy now.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good grief - talk about a storm in a teacup.
    -It's hardly game breaking. It's a slightly amusing glitch that affects play in one minor aspect of a low population part of the game.

Meanwhile we still have broken quests that stop players actually progressing at low levels, bots crawling all over the map and gold sellers spamming every possible channel of communication, including the email notification system.

I love PvP - especially AvA and I want it to work smoothly - but for Pete's sake try to acquire a sense of proportion.

@ ZeniMax: After Craglorn will be quite soon enough. - Oh and would you please fix the oil pot exploit while you're at it?
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    Good grief - talk about a storm in a teacup.
    -It's hardly game breaking.

Yup. Hardly game breaking when all of your siege weapons, oil pots, etc. do absolutely nothing. Can you believe this guy? Do you even PvP m8?

It's mission impossible now trying to defend a keep thats under attack from a zerg that just spams Caltrops everywhere, rendering your oil pots useless.
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how people are still defending Zenimax. The white knighting never ceases to amuse me...
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired